E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-27-2011, 07:39 PM   #41
smickdundee

My Ride: land rover
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach.schnell View Post
Oh spare me the drama. You know very well that such crap as "dealer license" is meant to restrict the freedom of information and protect the profits of the used car salesmen from valid capitalist competition.

At one time it was "illegal" to make a right turn on red. So what happened? God changed his mind?
here here
smickdundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:59 PM   #42
konawel

My Ride: is low and slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumere46 View Post
In past you could, but now Manheim auctions are becoming strict, because of theft and other issues.
Some auctions will let the guest in, but the guest would have to sit in cafeteria.
I have access to adessa as well. One of the best auctions I have to say. Unlike Manheim, Adessa allows dealers to test drive their vehicles.
you cn test drive a car at manheim.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:38 AM   #43
mach.schnell

My Ride: 08/2000 330Cic x2
Quote:
Originally Posted by konawel View Post
but apparently you people don't understand what profit is.
MBA at Wharton just too hard to wrap your head around? I've forgotten more than you've ever understood. How 'bout we discuss the Black–Scholes equation?

Quote:
when you go grocery shopping do you not pay a mark up for the food you get?... when you buy anything for that matter you should get it for the same price as the seller? no it doesn't work like that
No. In your first example, it works by economies of scale (which includes distribution systems). In your second example it works by value added service. The insult to capitalism is when a group of people think they're somehow better than others and EXCLUDE competition by force of legislation.

Quote:
you can call us *******s as much as you want.....dealers are jerkoffs cause we have to mark up a price,
Well at least you seem to have a good grasp of your identity. Reminds me of the local tire shops that whine over tirerack.com who, come to think of it, whine just like this....
Quote:
it's taking money away from dealers..
Well shouldn't tirerack be made illegal then? Isn't etrade taking money away from stock brokers? God forbid I fix my light switch since I'm taking money away from electricians. So Netflix put Blockbuster out of business. Let's all whine about that now too.

Boo hoo...

Oh wait - let's just do it the Soviet way and pass laws making used car dealers "more equal" than other citizens. This is the same kind of crap and drama the trucking industry whined about when Regan deregulated shipping in the late 80's. Yes, MANY trucking companies went out of business because they worked within a communist structure for so long, it was impossible for them to wrap their head around capitalism - the freedom for Anyone to engage in any business without artificial barriers. Sometime you should read the Supreme Court case of Yick Wo v. (Sheriff) Hopkins. And may God destroy these laws that protect businesses which no longer provide a useful economic service because technology has changed society.

With the Internet flattening the distribution model for ALL business, you're just whining because you no longer provide a useful service - which WAS collecting an assortment of cars (through auction) based upon your knowledge of local customer's buying habits because it was impossible for them to have access to a wider selection. That was the major service you provided and it's now just as extinct as the dinosaur.

Live with it.

Quote:
... the only time its good is when i have some stupid retailer bidding in my lane.
I'm glad you feel your prosperity must be built upon the misfortune of others.

Says a lot about your character.
mach.schnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:41 AM   #44
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
^^^^^^^

used car salesmen

De gustibus non est disputandum.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:25 AM   #45
iansanderson

My Ride: 2001 330CiC
some auctions allow you to test drive, some do not.

I take people in with me to auctions to bid on cars all the time. You can just enter them as a "driver" then walk around and figure out what car they want. Since I wear the badge, I bid on it. The prices at auctions sometimes reach KBB private party value excellent, so why not? There are better deals on craigslist than there are at the auctions.

Cheat Sheet:

GT1/ISIS/MoDiC = Factory authorized diagnostic system used by BMW dealerships across the world.

NCS Expert = BMW Factory R&D programming tool available on the internet (not intended for the public and not available to the dealership network)

OEM = Genuine BMW part only available from a franchised BMW dealership.

DME = Engine Management Computer
iansanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:14 AM   #46
alwaysbored786

My Ride: Noble|M3|XJ
Quote:
MBA at Wharton just too hard to wrap your head around? I've forgotten more than you've ever understood. How 'bout we discuss the Black–Scholes equation?
AHHH thats the best sht evar!!!! Mach.schenll

*NO F-BOMBS IN SIGS*
How to refinish rims
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldintake View Post
I am proposing opening up a Paypal fund for OP. The funds will directly be used in purchasing a farm so that OP can grow some balls.
alwaysbored786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:38 AM   #47
JeffLou

My Ride: 330cic
While I must admit my MBA did not come from Wharton, I honestly do not think that where my MBA came from will make my comments here any less relevant. Please do not compare the markup of a loaf of bread from the grocery store to the insane mark up of a used car. There are other factors involved that is taking away from your so called "life style". The average consumer is more educated and armed with information from the internet or some other form of media. The days of making huge profits and jacking up rates to the end consumer are over. Today's new car prices are comparable to the prices of the luxury cars of old. This is forcing the middleclass to look into the used car arena and they are well informed.
JeffLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:58 AM   #48
konawel

you can type as intellectual as your heart desires, but that doesn't change the fact that you have compared and contrasted a bunch of bullshit in a random order. god damn liberals
Old 03-28-2011, 12:19 PM   #49
JeffLou

I do not understand? I was stating that today's consumers are more educated before making any type of large purchase. How does this make someone a liberal? If this is what you choose to believe the definition of liberal is then I guess 99% of people are liberals.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:06 PM   #50
konawel

no not you, other gentlemen up there. i've been in the car business for a lonnnggggg time. and i'm tired of hearing from every person that knows a bit about cars in general.. cause for some reason that also apparently makes you a used car dealer. whatever, i'm not gonna argue with a whole forum full of people, i'll never get anywhere. and eventually i'm sure this will turn into a "mommy and daddy" conversation. so for the dealers on here go ahead and give away out information to wholesalers. over and out
Old 03-29-2011, 09:42 AM   #51
mach.schnell

Quote:
you can type as intellectual as your heart desires
Sir, one can only type as intellectual as one's head is capable. The heart, on the other hand, is where knee jerk "I'm better than you because I have a license" whining comes from. So you may type as fitchy as your heart desires.

Quote:
... but that doesn't change the fact that you have compared and contrasted a bunch of bullshit in a random order.
I truly apologize my explanation wasn't simple enough. It may greatly benefit your life were you to read "Who Moved My Cheese." (No MBA required). For the rest of you, use mapquest to find your local library and check out "Who Stole My Cheese".

Quote:
... god damn liberals
I stand truly amazed. The fundamental definition of a liberal is a citizen who believes the power of government should be liberally used to shape and control society (including business), as opposed to society being shaped by the free and unfettered actions of the individual collectively (when not criminal of course - such as murder).

The Liberal would demand the government impose regulations upon the auction house - to protect their views of how society should work (meaning the dealer's own economic interests), which is exactly the concerns dealt with by the aforementioned Supreme Court case. The Conservative would understand that a business enterprise like Mannheim may desire (and has the freedom) to limit their customer base (by contract) to those who are more likely to buy in volume ("dealers"), thus reducing the cost of overhead (meaning paperwork). Such a decision is based on economies of scale as I previously mentioned. To that end, I have no problem with Mannheim choosing on their own to restrict "non-dealers" from participation, but such has nothing to do with "legal" or "illegal".

Your support of laws requiring a dealer license issued by a governmental agency to enable you to participate in an auto auction at the exclusion of others is by definition Liberal. So I would caution against requesting God to damn yourself. That's not very wise. Matthew 7:1-2 KJV Judge not, that ye be not judged. (2) For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. (Or in modern English, "What goes around comes around.")

Quote:
...over and out
Truly I say to you there are none so blind as those who gouge their own eyes out.

PS: To all those offering help and access to such auctions, I'll be in touch when I'm in the market. Thanks kindly.

Last edited by mach.schnell; 03-29-2011 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:53 AM   #52
konawel

Quote:
So I would caution against requesting God to damn yourself. That's not very wise. Matthew 7:1-2 KJV Judge not, that ye be not judged. (2) For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. (Or in modern English, "What goes around comes around.")
in the non cockiest way possible, this seriously made me lol
Old 03-29-2011, 11:23 AM   #53
too_desi

My Ride: 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
Me too
Helllloooooooooooo !!!
too_desi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:05 PM   #54
mach.schnell

Quote:
in the non cockiest way possible, this seriously made me lol
You should see the rest of my translation of the Bible.

BTW I really do understand your frustration. All I'm saying is that you need to do something about it instead of whining that it's illegal. At one time you could make a profit of about one or two grand selling a PC back in the '80s. Those days are long gone. I'd like to point out though, that those here offering their auction access are merely expanding their customer base from local walk-ins to online special interests.

The people here like E46s (as I state the obvious) and some might want to upgrade to an M3 (at some point I want one to track). I fell in love with my daughter's E46 cabrio and it took over a year before the exact same one (near enough) happened to show up at a local used car dealer. So what if I knew of a reputable dealer say like yourself who could find the exact car I wanted and would go searching auctions-lists-etc. for me while automating his search as much as possible to reduce overhead?

So think about this. Provide a personalized service to save the customer time (which is more valuable than money) finding the car he or she wants. Given the power of the net, a modest finder's fee whether a set price or a percentage of the final cost would more than compensate for your time. You'd have no overhead. No lot rent, no risk that a car would sit on the lot hoping someone would stop by today or tomorrow to buy it. You would have a customer before you had inventory. Why should I waste my time searching the wasteland of the internet, Manheim, etc.? Dude, FIND MY CAR and I think anyone would pay you an appropriate profit for saving them time. And sponsor specialty forums to advertise there, cultivating customers like these other posters are doing (whether they realize it or not).

Now I just sketched a new business model for you (a seed from which to develop a business plan) and I'll wave my $1,250/hr fee.

Let me ask you this. Why would a mall have Sears, JC Penny, Nordstrom's, and Kohl's all in the same complex when they're competitors? Why would a section of highway have a BMW dealership next to Mercedes, Ford, VW, GM, Hyundai and Kia etc?

Because the single biggest cost of any business is getting a customer through the door. And you are more likely to get a customer into your store if other stores are close by because people are lazy and don't want to travel all over the samhill (economies of time scale). This is why Target buys the land across the street from WalMart. These companies know this. (That's why they hire these MBA type people.)

Getting product from Manheim isn't your problem. Getting customers is. You need start acting like a stock broker who cultivates his customers from a different model than that where the guy down the street just happens to drive by his office (which in your case is your used car lot).

Manheim should allow dealers to provide dealer website access to customers as approved (vetted) by the dealers. Then I can sit back bid on a car (through you) and get quite a number of premium services while increasing your value to Manheim as a volume purchaser.

Uh... forget everything I just said. I think I'll go do this myself.

God Bless,
KTF,
Alliance Prime Consulting
Certified Genius
(i.e. Chief Mad Scientist )

Last edited by mach.schnell; 03-30-2011 at 10:07 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:27 PM   #55
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
didnt read lol

De gustibus non est disputandum.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:51 AM   #56
JeffLou

"Who moved my cheese" funny!!! I miss those two little mice. Going to have to read that again for prosperity!!!
Old 03-31-2011, 07:05 AM   #57
JeffLou

By the way I like your business plan you outlined above. It does not really fall into my area of expertise but as Ellison has showed us today's business model does not need to make much sense or fall into your current market space in order to show huge profits. Let me know if you are looking for investors
Old 03-31-2011, 11:19 AM   #58
konawel

brilliance
Old 04-04-2011, 08:23 AM   #59
hatepotholez

My Ride: 135i
im a desi!!
hatepotholez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:22 AM   #60
overheadvalve

My Ride: 2004 330i ZHP
Pretty hard to get a good wholesale deal at Manheim if your bidding against BMW dealer. They are looking for inventory to fill their very successful CPO program. BMW finance and other finance arms typically offer incentives to dealers to purchase their cars at auction. Free floor planning for 6 months, discounts on the extended warranty offered on CPO cars, discounted retail finance rates to customers etc. Dealers often bid up to almost retail on some BMW,s at the sale.
overheadvalve is offline   Reply With Quote