E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-24-2011, 04:51 AM   #1
islanq

My Ride: An E46 like you...
Send a message via AIM to islanq
P1188 & P1189 Codes/CEL - At my whits end here!

Hey Fanatics, I'm trying to debunk these fault codes here. I have been trying to pass smog and even though the car is running fantastic (23mpg city / 33mpg highway / avg combined 27ish) I keep throwing these codes. I by no means post a thread without searching but I'm really at a loss here.

Car Info: 99' 323i w/ 143K, no power loss, occasional rough idle during cold start (only in < 50 degree weather), 91 octane only.

When the problem occurs: Noticeably quicker re-occurrence of the codes (1188 & 1189 w/ the occasional P0170) happen at low load around 1800-2200RPM, usually when approaching/leaving a series of stops (scenario - a shopping center parking lot when you have to stop for each pedestrian cross walk) or when exiting on the freeway and slowing down for the stop.

Action(s) already taken:
- new fuel filter (Mahle)
- ICV cleaned
- checked DISA & DISA gasket
- checked for leaks in all intake hoses (including the infamous little intake boot by throttle body, small repair to elbow using epoxy and heat shrink wrap, 100% fixed at this location)
- new MAF
- new pre cat 02 (closest to firewall)
- checked CCV hoses (the #6 vacuum from the top of the fuel rail to the side of CCV was broke, replaced hose hoping this would fix it. Code goes away from a longer period but came on after 26ish miles or so)
- cleaned all plugs (with a compressed air abrasion cleaning system, plugs are NGK Iridium w/ < 50K )

Mods that could POSSIBLY be effecting 1188/1189: Cosmos CAI w/ K&N filter.

Next steps: Seafoam intake system, run fuel treatment / injector cleaner, remove CAI and replace with stock air box (long shot I know)...

I have seen some other threads about people replacing the FPR (fuel pressure regulator) on the 99' E46 application specifically since our year doesn't have it built into the filter. I have also seen threads about fuel pumps starting to die causing the same type of "lean" codes although again, I have no power loss which to me doesn't sound like a pump.

I have a small leak from what to me appears to be from the oil pan gasket (right above the hydraulic power steering gear box) although I can't see it without dropping the sub frame. Can a oil pan gasket or dipstick "O" ring cause enough vacuum leak to effect an 1188 or 1189 and throw a CEL?

If anyone has any suggestions or links to new advice please let me know. I mean all i have left is to completely replace the CCV which doesn't have any visible leaks, whistles, or anything else that would lead me to believe it's failing. After that and the seafoam treatment type stuff I don't know what else I can check / do?

CLICK Link to pics in sig w/ story!

Last edited by islanq; 03-24-2011 at 08:51 PM.
islanq is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:51 PM   #2
islanq

BUMP & UPDATE!

Pretty sure It's the CCV at this point. Read the description in my video to get the full scoop.

PS. Please ignore the squeal from the idler tension pulley which is bad. It sounds much worse with the hood open and normally goes away within a minute or 2. It's on my list of maint. but only after the smog is done!

Old 03-25-2011, 01:06 PM   #3
islanq

Hmmmm, well I'm off to the stealership to pickup a new CCV. I can't believe no one has replied of even tried to offer up any advice. Kind of hurts my feelers, Fanatics.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:19 PM   #4
mack89

My Ride: '02 TIAG 330i 5spd
mmm if you could remove those stars in your sig, everyone is going to jump on you.
Your guess might be right- CAI inhales more air, computer might think that there's a vacuum leak.
Also might be an intake manifold gasket..You could remove intake manifold and replace CCV and gasket as well. That'll take some time but its worth it
Old 03-25-2011, 01:26 PM   #5
islanq

As far as the stars go -----> http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=827263

I'm picking up the CCV today, I'm debating whether I want to replace the intake manifold gasket ($54 at the stealership) or just do the throttle body rout. I know if I go through the intake manifold I'm going to have the urge to do oil housing gasket as well.

The only thing is I'm being cheap so it's kind of steering me away from the $60 intake gasket which is only $10 cheaper then the whole darn CCV!

Old 03-25-2011, 01:52 PM   #6
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Well, MY experience with P1188 and P1189 was that the MAF was toast. The MAF runs to a couple of hundred dollars, so you wantn to be sure that is the problem.

The MAF (mine, anyway) had a shorted transistor that was only visible through the Data Link Connector using a PC with the BMW Diagnostic Suite installed. The software actually came back with the exact transistor that was shorted. Interestingly, I had only a single report of P0100, MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR ERROR, while there were dozens of P1188 & P1189, along with P0170 and P0173 (the generic version of the P1 Codes we're talkjing about), and a few MISFIRE codes on all cylinders.

You might have a CCV issue, and you can find out for a reasonalby small sum of money. But if the CCV doesn't solve the problem, then you should consider connecting your car to an official BMW diagnostic computer and see what the MAF is doing.

THE JOB OF THE MAF
The MAF reports the air quality (temp and density) to the computer. The computer uses the data to regulate the fuel supply to maintain a mixture of 14.7:1. The O2 Sensors, meanwhile, report that the fuel mixture needs to be prodded a bit up or down by measuring the exhaust contents. The MAF is telling lies that the air is randomly warmer and thinner than it is, or colder and denser. The computer adjusts the fuel in response, and the O2s report that the measurments they are taking are variously rich or lean. Eventually the O2s (computer) decided that the fuel mixture control is out of control, and the computer issues P1188 and P1189, and P0170 and P0173. One set of these codes is FUEL CONTROL MALFUNCTION and the other is FUEL TRIM MALFUNCTION. Both sets can report RICH or LEAN, instead of MALFUNCTION, and the fact that they have reported MALFUCNTION means that the mixture is both rich and lean, at different times of course, and that the O2s are not able to find the sweet spot where 14.7:1 can be maintained.

My money is on a bad MAF, but the CCV is cheap to install, so you may as well give it a whirl.

My bad, I shoulda read the whole post, you already did the MAF. Well, if the CCV doesn't do the trick, then you should still plug the car into the BMW Diagnostic machine... You could still have a bad MAF. You might have an out-of-box failure...
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:00 PM   #7
islanq

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post
Well, MY experience with P1188 and P1189 was that the MAF was toast. The MAF runs to a couple of hundred dollars, so you wantn to be sure that is the problem.

The MAF (mine, anyway) had a shorted transistor that was only visible through the Data Link Connector using a PC with the BMW Diagnostic Suite installed. The software actually came back with the exact transistor that was shorted. Interestingly, I had only a single report of P0100, MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR ERROR, while there were dozens of P1188 & P1189, along with P0170 and P0173 (the generic version of the P1 Codes we're talkjing about), and a few MISFIRE codes on all cylinders.

You might have a CCV issue, and you can find out for a reasonalby small sum of money. But if the CCV doesn't solve the problem, then you should consider connecting your car to an official BMW diagnostic computer and see what the MAF is doing.

THE JOB OF THE MAF
The MAF reports the air quality (temp and density) to the computer. The computer uses the data to regulate the fuel supply to maintain a mixture of 14.7:1. The O2 Sensors, meanwhile, report that the fuel mixture needs to be prodded a bit up or down by measuring the exhaust contents. The MAF is telling lies that the air is randomly warmer and thinner than it is, or colder and denser. The computer adjusts the fuel in response, and the O2s report that the measurments they are taking are variously rich or lean. Eventually the O2s (computer) decided that the fuel mixture control is out of control, and the computer issues P1188 and P1189, and P0170 and P0173. One set of these codes is FUEL CONTROL MALFUNCTION and the other is FUEL TRIM MALFUNCTION. Both sets can report RICH or LEAN, instead of MALFUNCTION, and the fact that they have reported MALFUCNTION means that the mixture is both rich and lean, at different times of course, and that the O2s are not able to find the sweet spot where 14.7:1 can be maintained.

My money is on a bad MAF, but the CCV is cheap to install, so you may as well give it a whirl.

My bad, I shoulda read the whole post, you already did the MAF. Well, if the CCV doesn't do the trick, then you should still plug the car into the BMW Diagnostic machine... You could still have a bad MAF. You might have an out-of-box failure...
Yeah, I'm guessing the CCV is going to cure my fault. I mean I didn't know it was going bad because 99.5% of the time you get the loud "goose honking" sound when you touch the throttle.

I couldn't get mine to produce this sound until the bad CCV hose was fixed so it could pressurize properly. Then it ONLY did the goose honk while the oil cap was removed at idle (reference video in post #2).

Old 03-26-2011, 02:21 AM   #8
islanq

Update:

Taking a break 3 hours into intake manifold removal.

Hoping this new CCV fixes my codes so I can smog this beotchhhhhhh!

Old 03-27-2011, 12:02 AM   #9
islanq

Replaced CCV and intake manifold gasket. Made it 55ish miles before the CEL came on with P1188 and P1189. Tomorrow I'm throwing on the stock air box and running some seafoam through the intake system w/ some gas/injector cleaner in the fuel tank.

Anyone else got an suggestions?

Old 03-27-2011, 12:06 AM   #10
mack89

Well, you did check disa gasket..have you replaced it? (11617504543) My technician said a tiny small amount of leak from o-ring could cause lean mixture..
Old 03-27-2011, 12:08 AM   #11
islanq

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack89 View Post
Well, you did check disa gasket..have you replaced it? (11617504543) My technician said a tiny small amount of leak from o-ring could cause lean mixture..
My DISA gasket is still pretty soft. I used RTV silicone gasket sealer on it before I tightened it after a good cleaning.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:00 AM   #12
mack89

Scratch o-ring then. Too many factors can affect...
This thread might be helpful..
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=815063
Old 03-27-2011, 04:52 AM   #13
islanq

Quote:
Scratch o-ring then. Too many factors can affect...
This thread might be helpful..
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=815063
I saw that you had some bad secondary air pump CEL codes. What codes was your car throwing when the lines where broke / clogged?

*SIGH* I feel so close to fixing this 1188 / 1189 but yet so far! All I need to do is run 1 trip cycle to get it out of the computer to pass smog!

Old 03-27-2011, 12:03 PM   #14
mack89

^Yeah, car gave me p1421 and p1423. Both vacuum tubes were broken, detached from elec. valve..
Well since you've done this far, why dont you take smoke test? Even small vacuum leak could suck the smoke hopefully.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:09 PM   #15
islanq

Quote:
^Yeah, car gave me p1421 and p1423. Both vacuum tubes were broken, detached from elec. valve..
Well since you've done this far, why dont you take smoke test? Even small vacuum leak could suck the smoke hopefully.
I threw on the stock air box this morning. About to go to Napa and get some Seafoam. I heard my air pump kick on like normal but I'm going to test the lines & clean when I get back. You never know, there could be a small leak or blockage.

I haven't "officially" smoked yet because I'd hate to pay $100+ just to find 1 bad area and then kick myself for just not replacing an old $2 vacuum line that should have been replaced anyway. I have been using my air compressor w/ a pressure regulator @ low PSI (2-5) and listening for rushing air in combination with soapy water in a spray bottle. The next step is to build a home made smoke machine using a glow plug and some oil!

I have a 97' Jeep I'm about to overhaul as well and 05' Chevy Silverado. It might come in handy! Thankfully our E60 5 series is till under warranty so I don't have to worry about that.

Ugh, project = never ending around here!

Old 03-28-2011, 12:24 PM   #16
thefreeze

My Ride: 2000 323i
I had the dreaded p1188 and p1189 (with an occaisional p0170 and p0173) and this thread fixed my problem (knock on wood as it's only been 2 weeks).

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ighlight=p1188

HTH
thefreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 03:17 PM   #17
islanq

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefreeze View Post
I had the dreaded p1188 and p1189 (with an occaisional p0170 and p0173) and this thread fixed my problem (knock on wood as it's only been 2 weeks).

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ighlight=p1188

HTH
Thanks for the link but I just did my oil separator (CCV).

UPDATE

So I threw on my stock air box yesterday, and got some seafoam! I added the Seafoam to my gas tank and well as to the oil.

I drove 60 miles yesterday before I came home and NO CEL! YAY! Hopefully my car was just being a little suborn and after this last Seafoam cleansing (doing intake system today) it will be ready to hit the smog shop!

Old 09-16-2011, 08:58 PM   #18
avglushk

My Ride: e92
Send a message via Skype™ to avglushk
Quote:
Originally Posted by islanq View Post
Thanks for the link but I just did my oil separator (CCV).

UPDATE

So I threw on my stock air box yesterday, and got some seafoam! I added the Seafoam to my gas tank and well as to the oil.

I drove 60 miles yesterday before I came home and NO CEL! YAY! Hopefully my car was just being a little suborn and after this last Seafoam cleansing (doing intake system today) it will be ready to hit the smog shop!
Hey islanq. Did u fix your codes 1188 and 1189?

I have same codes. I also replaced CCV and hoses and today after driving my car for few miles 1188 and 1189 came back on. I have stock air filter box and my lower tube is new. Also MAF is new. Arghhh... driving me crazy.
For Sale: 1. OEM used headlights and corners, see link http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=884565
2. 2 brand new Bosch post cat oxygen sensors
avglushk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
323i, ccv honk noise, p0170, p1188, p1189