E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-24-2011, 03:09 PM   #1
thegetupkidme

My Ride: 2004 330ci
Opposite end of the scale

So most of you guys seem to be trying to lose some pounds while gaining some muscle mass. I am 5'9 152 lbs. I have been doing a 5x5 for the last two months and have moticed some gains. I feel like I am not getting enough calories to really see some gains. The problem is, I really dont want to gain bodyfat or any midsection fat. I have some very small love handles but overall I am somewhat skinny. I eat healthy ie(chicken,turkey,eggs, some veggies,pb). What should my target calorie intake be. I do some light cardio on my off days and i normally play soccer or other sports during the year.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:28 PM   #2
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
based on your height and weight I'd say somewhere around 3500-4000 cals. It's very hard not to gain a little bit of fat when bulking but if you want to gain muscle it's what you have to do sometimes. Also, try drinking a lot of milk.

Also, can you post what 5x5 workout your doing an an example of your daily diet. Or what you think is good enough and maybe we can critique it.

Last edited by DylloS; 03-24-2011 at 03:35 PM.
DylloS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:49 PM   #3
thegetupkidme

holy crap no wonder i am not gaining any mass, I have trouble getting to 2000 a day. I am doing the rippetoe's 5x5 off of bodybuilding.com. Depending on the day its either
cherrios w/milk
2 packs of instant strawberry oatmeal (yea i know)
tbs of peanut butter
6 oz chicken
2 tbs peanut butter
3oz chicken (sometimes with some zucc or spinach)
either chicken or ground turkey w/vegetables
sometimes i have some yogurt in their too

I need to pick up some whey protein which will help a lot. Most of time I am really not hungry, I dont know how I can eat that many more calories.

Also just a run down of my current lifts
bench started at 115 now at 155
deadlift started at 145 now at 250
squat started at 125 now at 210
military press started at 75 now at 100
row started at 95 now at 140

I am starting to have trouble adding weight and I am sure it has a lot to do with my calorie intake
Old 03-24-2011, 03:59 PM   #4
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegetupkidme View Post
holy crap no wonder i am not gaining any mass, I have trouble getting to 2000 a day. I am doing the rippetoe's 5x5 off of bodybuilding.com. Depending on the day its either
cherrios w/milk
tbs of peanut butter
6 oz chicken
2 tbs peanut butter

I need to pick up some whey protein which will help a lot. Most of time I am really not hungry, I dont know how I can eat that many more calories.

I am starting to have trouble adding weight and I am sure it has a lot to do with my calorie intake
This is why it's good to write it down. You are on a diet that would be too little for a cut.

You're going to have to make major changes.

meal one
5 eggs
cup of oats
2 scoops pb

meal 2
chicken, rice, veggies, nuts

meal 3 similar to 2

meal 4 post work out
2 scoops whey
dextrose

meal 4
more chicken or steak or lean meats, more rice or sweet potatoes etc, and some healthy fats and veggies.

meal 5 before bed
casein and pb

drink milk a lot with meals too.

These are just quick examples since I 'm about to leave work but any meat like chicken, turkey, steak, pork, fish is good, carbs like brown rice, sweet potatoes, whole wheat pastas are good, olive oils, nuts, natural pb, and all green veggies are what you want to consume all day long.

The change is going to be tough because it's so different than what you've been doing but if you start making changes I think you'll definitely see a difference.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:14 PM   #5
thegetupkidme

I have always been worried about carbs, I was always under the impression that the carbs would lead to getting fat. I can probably eat like that. Should I try to limit my carbs?

Last edited by thegetupkidme; 03-24-2011 at 04:25 PM.
thegetupkidme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:10 PM   #6
DylloS

Quote:
I have always been worried about carbs, I was always under the impression that the carbs would lead to getting fat. I can probably eat like that. Should I try to limit my carbs?
Not if you're bulking. Just keep the oats sweet potatoes and brown rice up and the breads down. Without carbs you're going to have a hard time getting 4000 cals. I mean you could probably be ok with a lot of protein and fats and minimal carbs but it will be tough to do. You can probably get away with a little dirtier bulk too.

Last edited by DylloS; 03-24-2011 at 05:21 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:24 PM   #7
thegetupkidme

Thanks for the help, I am going to give it a go. Ill see if I can at least get to 3000 today since I got a bad start. Looking at a thread over on bb.com it looks like i should shoot for around 300g carbs, 200g protein and 70g of fat. What do you think of those numbers?
Old 03-24-2011, 05:31 PM   #8
DylloS

Quote:
Thanks for the help, I am going to give it a go. Ill see if I can at least get to 3000 today since I got a bad start. Looking at a thread over on bb.com it looks like i should shoot for around 300g carbs, 200g protein and 70g of fat. What do you think of those numbers?
Pretty good I think. You can even up the protein and fats and reduce the carbs if you're worried about it. If I billed again I'd try that because I gained too much belly fat with a lot of bread and other carbs. I truly believe it was because of the amount of bread I ate vs the other better carbs.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:39 PM   #9
thegetupkidme

thanks man, lets see how it goes. Is there a weight that I should shoot for? Or just till I feel big enough?
Old 03-24-2011, 06:00 PM   #10
DylloS

Quote:
thanks man, lets see how it goes. Is there a weight that I should shoot for? Or just till I feel big enough?
It's always good to have a goal I think. Just don't force it and be honest with yourself
Old 03-24-2011, 06:13 PM   #11
thegetupkidme

As far as the chicken goes, how much pet meal.

Sent from my DROID2 using Bimmer App
Old 03-24-2011, 06:37 PM   #12
DylloS

Quote:
As far as the chicken goes, how much pet meal.

Sent from my DROID2 using Bimmer App
Prob 6-8 oz.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:33 AM   #13
Capt1014

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Eat, Eat, eat and then eat some more!

I worked my way up to eating at least 6 to 7000 GOOD calories a day, EVERY day you can't just shovel food in. I had to plan out my entire week. Once you start eating more often you'll be hungry more often.

When I started my "diet" I was 175lbs standing 6'3", when I stopped going to the gym and dieting I was up to aprox. 210 and it took me 9 months of hard training and strict diet to get there.

You get stronger before you start to actually gain sze.

Now after 2 years of not training and not eating as much I lost it all I'm still 6'3" but down to 180lbs.

Us thin guys have a really hard time putting on and keep muscle mass on. As they say, everyone's body is different and reacts different to training. The biggest thing is make sure you have the correct form if you are planning on building mass. don't be afriad to ask the "biggest" guy in the gym for help. Most of them are willing to give you a few pointers. The best advice I got was from a monster of a guy about lifting form.

If you are considering whey protien drinks and things like that, the best thing I ever found was a little purple pill that block a significant amount of the lactic acid that builds up in the muscle while training. Onc eI started using that I was able to power out more reps, this is helpful when you are doing speed reps.

Overkill is an often underrated state of achivement!

Last edited by Capt1014; 04-04-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Capt1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:52 AM   #14
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
Quote:
So most of you guys seem to be trying to lose some pounds while gaining some muscle mass. I am 5'9 152 lbs. I have been doing a 5x5 for the last two months and have moticed some gains. I feel like I am not getting enough calories to really see some gains. The problem is, I really dont want to gain bodyfat or any midsection fat. I have some very small love handles but overall I am somewhat skinny. I eat healthy ie(chicken,turkey,eggs, some veggies,pb). What should my target calorie intake be. I do some light cardio on my off days and i normally play soccer or other sports during the year.
Eat. Eat. Target should be ~3-4k day.
Quote:
cherrios w/milk
tbs of peanut butter
6 oz chicken
2 tbs peanut butter

Force it. Just eat. You will gain some fat. No way to avoid it, even on a clean slow bulk.
Quote:
NO!!! Look up how your body digests food,
Quote:
Not bad. You will adjust as you go.
Quote:
170 shouldn't be too far out for you without gaining too much fat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt1014 View Post
Eat, Eat, eat and then eat some more!

I worked my way up to eating at least 6 to 7000 GOOD calories a day, EVERY day you can't just shovel food in. I had to plan out my entire week. Once you start eating more often you'll be hungry more often.

When I started my "diet" I was 175lbs standing 6'3", when I stopped going to the gym and dieting I was up to aprox. 210 and it took me 9 months of hard training and strict diet to get there.

You get stronger before you start to actually gain sze.

Now after 2 years of not training and not eating as much I lost it all I'm still 6'3" but down to 180lbs.

Us thin guys have a really hard time putting on and keep muscle mass on. As they say, everyone's body is different and reacts different to training. The biggest thing is make sure you have the correct form if you are planning on building mass. don't be afriad to ask the "biggest" guy in the gym for help. Most of them are willing to give you a few pointers. The best advice I got was from a monster of a guy about lifting form.

If you are considering whey protien drinks and things like that, the best thing I ever found was a little purple pill that block a significant amount of the lactic acid that builds up in the muscle while training. Onc eI started using that I was able to power out more reps, this is helpful when you are doing speed reps.
Yep, (I agree)

Creatine also helps prevent lactic acid buildup.

Last edited by BMW_Matt; 04-04-2011 at 10:54 AM.
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote