E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Other BMW Models > General BMW Model Discussion

General BMW Model Discussion
All non E46 BMW model questions in here. Look below for E36, E90 and F30 specific forum. For additional model specific forums check out bimmerfest.com!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2011, 10:33 AM   #1
blacksport325

My Ride: 98 M3, 318is, CBR600
E36 M3 Maintenence questions

I'm just about to pull the trigger on a 98 dakar m3 with under 100k miles, i've talked to tech's about these cars and it seems the fail points are about the same as the e46, but I read these stories online of engine rebuilds, vanos failures..ect. I also see e36 m3s pushing 300k miles, what is the actual deal with these, I know we have a few fanatics here with e36 m3's, any info/tips? Thanks!
blacksport325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:37 PM   #2
Mike @ TheBMWPartStore
Genuine Factory BMW Parts

My Ride: BMWs and MINIs
Send a message via AIM to Mike @ TheBMWPartStore
S52s are fantastic motors! Engine rebuilds? The only time I can think of that is with moneyshifting or FI. I've never really seen a NA S52 in dire need of a rebuild nor a catastrophic failure.

My old E36 M3 took a beating and never left me stranded. I'm talking drive down to Deal's Gap 5 hours away, drive all day, drive home, and do it again next week.

If you have any specific questions let me know, but it sounds like you already know what's going on with the car.
Mike @ TheBMWPartStore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:45 PM   #3
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Cooling (Radiators especially prone to cracking more so than the expansion tank--replace both to be safe) actually, replace ALL cooling components.
Suspension (usual FCABs, shocks will be dead if they are original)
RTAB pockets (Check these for cracks)
Rear shock towers/Front shock towers (Check for cracks or mushrooming--S52 cars less prone but still check)
Oil pump nut (Like the M54, susceptible to undoing itself usually under track conditions)

Other than that, rock solid reliable car.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:41 PM   #4
blacksport325

Thanks guys, this is good news! I'm getting a PPI done on it tomorrow, I should be bringing it home Monday if all goes well.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:49 AM   #5
dreamdrivedrift

My Ride: 99 M3 & 95 325i
Send a message via AIM to dreamdrivedrift
I just picked one up...they're fantastic cars but show their age a little in terms of build quality.

Mechanically the same things go wrong on them as do E46s...cooling system, RTAB pockets, rear swaybar tabs if you have aftermarket sways, shocks, FCAB, RTAB, etc. I spent probably close to 5k in mine so far (and mine was CLEAN) in maintenance (full cooling system overhaul, all bushings/balljoints in the rear, coilovers, etc etc)

If you don't mind little things like a sagging glovebox, squeaky steering wheel, cracked window rubber seals, and love to drive, go for it. I love mine even with all the little problems (that are slowly going away as I work on it).

Oh yeah, early 95 cars didn't have the subframe reinforcement.....so keep that in mind.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:42 PM   #6
blacksport325

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdrivedrift View Post
I just picked one up...they're fantastic cars but show their age a little in terms of build quality.

Mechanically the same things go wrong on them as do E46s...cooling system, RTAB pockets, rear swaybar tabs if you have aftermarket sways, shocks, FCAB, RTAB, etc. I spent probably close to 5k in mine so far (and mine was CLEAN) in maintenance (full cooling system overhaul, all bushings/balljoints in the rear, coilovers, etc etc)

If you don't mind little things like a sagging glovebox, squeaky steering wheel, cracked window rubber seals, and love to drive, go for it. I love mine even with all the little problems (that are slowly going away as I work on it).

Oh yeah, early 95 cars didn't have the subframe reinforcement.....so keep that in mind.
Thanks for the info, I just had it looked at and it's very clean, only issue as of now is it needs a new driver side control arm (ball joint is shot), I'll just do both while i'm under there. I'll be bringing it home Monday.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:19 PM   #7
dreamdrivedrift

My Ride: 99 M3 & 95 325i
Send a message via AIM to dreamdrivedrift
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport325 View Post
Thanks for the info, I just had it looked at and it's very clean, only issue as of now is it needs a new driver side control arm (ball joint is shot), I'll just do both while i'm under there. I'll be bringing it home Monday.
Congrats. Enjoy
Old 04-02-2011, 11:05 PM   #8
NNJM3

My Ride: 2004 M3
Basically what everyone else says, I've had 3 of them and unless it's been done recently expect to do suspension and coolant work. Other than that, no complaints
NNJM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:07 PM   #9
blacksport325

Just got back from picking it up, very happy about the decision.

Last edited by blacksport325; 04-04-2011 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:28 AM   #10
Mike @ TheBMWPartStore
Genuine Factory BMW Parts

My Ride: BMWs and MINIs
Send a message via AIM to Mike @ TheBMWPartStore
Very nice!!
Mike @ TheBMWPartStore is offline   Reply With Quote