E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 4.63 average. Display Modes
Old 03-29-2011, 03:22 PM   #1
new//M3fan

My Ride: 77' 924 87' E30
Exclamation No Cats? No SAP? CEL light on? no longer!

Hey guys,

look at this thread if you want to flash your MS43 DME to Euro 3/4(No SAP check + tune) or euro 2 (catless + tune) all courtesy of BMWAG of course!!! Without requiring any simulators or aftermarket tunes!!! for pretty much free if you DIY.

So far this has been tested--that I know of--on:

-01' 325i No cat's or SAP to Euro 2 Specs
-01' 325Ci Euro 3
-01' 330ci no SAP Euro 3 Specs
-05' M3 Euro specs
-03' 330xi Euro Tune automatic

For up to date info click the link below

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1628787

For DIY's, where to get the software, and directions on setting up your laptop go here

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...play.php?f=233

Last edited by new//M3fan; 04-23-2011 at 07:26 PM.
new//M3fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:33 PM   #2
RogueStatus37

My Ride: '04 330ci
What is the advantage of that?

2004 330Ci ZSP 6-Speed

Blackout grills l Smoked Reflectors l CCFL Angel Eyes l Gloss Black Roof Vinyl l BSW Speaker Upgrade l 3.46 Open Diff l BMW Performance SSKl M3 Style Trunk Spoiler
H&R Sport Cup Spring Kit l RHO Tow Hook Plate l Nokya Hyper-yellow Fogs l Stainless Steel Headers l Tuner Slotted Brake Kit l AXXIS/PBR Metal Master Pads l BMW AUX Input Kit

RogueStatus37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:35 PM   #3
cyberkaa

Location: Sunnyvale, CA <-- Ithaca, NY <-- dirty jerz (201) Useful Posts: 25
My Ride: E46 332i,M3;E30 325i
Send a message via ICQ to cyberkaa Send a message via AIM to cyberkaa Send a message via MSN to cyberkaa Send a message via Yahoo to cyberkaa
No CEL after removing emissions equipment.

M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by koven View Post
i'd rather be gapless with no bulge
cyberkaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:48 PM   #4
new//M3fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberkaa View Post
No CEL after removing emissions equipment.
correct. In my case, I first updated to the latest US spec version and many things changed. Mainly idle smoothness and throttle response.

But there is no way to tell what EXACTLY what each update addressed since BMW never released such details.

But it is safe to assume that newer updates, regardless of US spec or euro spec smooth out and perhaps modifies the tune as whole.

I.e 330 ZHP's 4000k dip and 2800 rpm 02 sensor errors.

Euro spec cars also had a higher top speed limiter.

Flashing to euro 3 is much cheaper then buying a new SAP and SAP valve... I just don't justify spending 600 on a new secondary air pump and valve when it only runs for 60 seconds at most during a cold start up... Used. its still between 100 - 200.

Last edited by new//M3fan; 03-29-2011 at 04:07 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:07 PM   #5
Deah7

My Ride: 330i
Holy cow I need this. I am running not cats and no SAP! Be so much nicer to have a good tune than run sims. Seems like you can still pass emissions too right? Im gonna try to figure all that stuff out but I hope a smarter e46fanatic member than myself with create a DIY!

Last edited by Deah7; 03-29-2011 at 04:11 PM.
Deah7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:08 PM   #6
cyberkaa

Location: Sunnyvale, CA <-- Ithaca, NY <-- dirty jerz (201) Useful Posts: 25
My Ride: E46 332i,M3;E30 325i
Send a message via ICQ to cyberkaa Send a message via AIM to cyberkaa Send a message via MSN to cyberkaa Send a message via Yahoo to cyberkaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by newe46fan View Post
correct. In my case, I first updated to the latest US spec version and many things changed. Mainly idle smoothness and throttle response.

But there is no way to tell what EXACTLY what each update addressed since BMW never released such details.

But it is safe to assume that newer updates, regardless of US spec or euro spec smooth out and perhaps modifies the tune as whole.

I.e 330 ZHP's 4000k dip and 2800 rpm 02 sensor errors.

Euro spec cars also had a higher top speed limiter.

Flashing to euro 3 is much cheaper then buying a new SAP and SAP valve... I just don't justify spending 600 on a new secondary air pump and valve when it only runs for 60 seconds at most during a cold start up... Used. its still between 100 - 200.

M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by koven View Post
i'd rather be gapless with no bulge
cyberkaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:24 PM   #7
new//M3fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deah7 View Post
Holy cow I need this. I am running not cats and no SAP! Be so much nicer to have a good tune than run sims. Seems like you can still pass emissions too right? Im gonna try to figure all that stuff out but I hope a smarter e46fanatic member than myself with create a DIY!
I will be taking my car in for an emmissions inspection soon with euro 3 software and will report back o the outcome!

Quoted from the VA state emmissions website

"unsupported monitors do not affect the results of the emmissions inspection"

so if its not there it its "unsupported" and since these are software versions made by BMW when you flash it to euro 3/4 or 2 software it is as if you bought a 330 in malaysia, mexico, south africa etc... and other regions were their emissions are much less strict. Some countries were euro 3 models were exported actually have their own emission inspections.

Last edited by new//M3fan; 03-29-2011 at 04:28 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:28 PM   #8
blarf

My Ride: '00 323i
Quote:
That 60 seconds is when your car releases most of its emissions. Instead of working around the SAP, you should a.) rebuild it b.) fix it so that it won't rust up again. Volvo used the same (or similar) Pierburg pump, and there instructions on how to repair it online. Google it.

The SAP only runs for the benefit of the cats. So if you're running catless, just think about how I'd lecture you and remove the SAP.
blarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:34 PM   #9
new//M3fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by blarf View Post
That 60 seconds is when your car releases most of its emissions. Instead of working around the SAP, you should a.) rebuild it b.) fix it so that it won't rust up again. Volvo used the same (or similar) Pierburg pump, and there instructions on how to repair it online. Google it.

The SAP only runs for the benefit of the cats. So if you're running catless, just think about how I'd lecture you and remove the SAP.
I'm not worried about "catalytic care the tender SAP provide" its trivial. Euro 3 cars still had cat's and I would bet 100$ they will last as long as their SAP cared units...

I am still running cats hence the reason I choose euro 3 over euro 2. In a unlikely scenario that the cats are damaged... in go 90 dollar ebay headers, euro 2 tune, custom exhaust with 2 free flowing cats downstream which will clean the air as well or much better then the OEM's did.

If you're concerned about the invironment. There are many people running old cars take for example my 924 33 yrs old and probably produces more CO's then 5 330i's running at the same time for 6 hours... not to mention all the methanol injected big blocks, stage 3 supras, etc etc... I see around the car shows everywhere around here...

This opens up the e46 market into e36 territory in my opinion

Since now you have a newer car with the ability to turn all the emissions equipment and do as you please without breaking your wallet. I.E making your own custom exhaust with cats without worrying about post 02 sensor placement, Simulating or anything!

now we just need shark edit ( or something similar ) and we are set!

Consider this as a "jailbreak" for e46's! You don't have to jailbreak but the option is there if you want to take control.

Last edited by new//M3fan; 03-29-2011 at 04:43 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:54 PM   #10
new//M3fan

Quote:
Go to bimmerforums diagnostics software forum and learn how to set up EDIABAS, DIS/GT1, configuring and setting up WINKFP at minimum. then just flash, clear adaptations via DIS/GT1 then start and you're done!
Old 03-29-2011, 05:09 PM   #11
Deah7

My Ride: 330i
Sounds great. Im also writing on the other thread you posted to so Ill stop that now lol. Again thanks for the help. To me this seems like it is a much bigger discovery than most people are acting like it is!
Deah7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:53 PM   #12
new//M3fan

Quote:
Sounds great. Im also writing on the other thread you posted to so Ill stop that now lol. Again thanks for the help. To me this seems like it is a much bigger discovery than most people are acting like it is!
yep, It not only changes emissions.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:56 PM   #13
Gheybe

My Ride: C6 Z06
Sub'd for further research.

Thanks for the info.
Gheybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:58 PM   #14
new//M3fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gheybe View Post
Sub'd for further research.

Thanks for the info.
Check out the bimmerforums thread for the most up to date info.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:43 PM   #15
Bimmerboi325i

My Ride: needs a wash
im guessing this requires access to a gt1 then?

jessica.
Bimmerboi325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:02 PM   #16
Drewfus2101

My Ride: N/A
Interesting stuff. I don't have a SAP or cats, and I just ordered the laptop cable, so I might have to give this a try...
Drewfus2101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 03:45 PM   #17
new//M3fan

All the information you need is on the bimmerforums thread.

Drewfus, before getting excited take out your DME and make sure it is an MS43 and not a MS45 since your car is an 2003 and depending on the build month it might have an MS45 DME. And disconnect your battery before taking it out. It will also not work on ZHP's since they were NOT sold in europe.

A comparable MS45 and ZHP flash can be made by studying the differences.

Last edited by new//M3fan; 03-31-2011 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:54 PM   #18
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
03/2003 and later cars have MS45. Earlier cars have MS43. Theoretically the MS43 cars can grab an M54B30 flash from a Z4 or X3... but the ZHPs will be out of luck since no BMW in europe got the ZHP cams

Newtoe46 - I'm really not sure how the EU2 flash would effect emissions inspection. My gut feeling is that it'll be like the custom flashes where the cat readiness is permanently set to "not ready"... since there would be no cats to actually be ready.

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 03-30-2011 at 03:55 PM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 04:00 PM   #19
new//M3fan

Well that depends

Theoritically, An off-road tune like the one AA offers might just be the latest US spec flash with the OBDII codes for the SAP or cats deleted out of the DME's OBDII Code Tables and all the while the actually code that determines the readiness of the system might still be detecting a fault hence the "not ready" status and that is why it is still showing up in the inspection stations computer as a supported monitor which means not all the code has been taken out rendering it a "dirty" workaround. AA guys are the only ones who can comment on that for sure.

Where as the EURO tunes will have no mention of a SAP or CAT monitor at all in its code, since some european countries have their own emissions testing programs. ( In the case of the euro 3 tune the 02 sensor and 02 sensor heater monitors are confirmed to run successfully and show a ready state) then I see no reason it would fail.

Since I am assuming that the inspection computers just poll the DME for a list of available and supported monitors prior to checking its status.

But the only real answer lies in actually having a car inspected with an euro tune.

Once I have mine inspected I will report back.

Last edited by new//M3fan; 03-30-2011 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:31 PM   #20
blarf

My Ride: '00 323i
Quote:
I'm not worried about "catalytic care the tender SAP provide" its trivial. Euro 3 cars still had cat's and I would bet 100$ they will last as long as their SAP cared units...
It's not about prolonging the life of the cat converter, it's about warming it up so that the cat con is able to function in short order. Catalytic converters need to be hot enough to function properly. When the engine is cold, the fuel mixture will be significantly richer than when it's at operating temperature. Take a whiff of your exhaust when you start your car on a cold morning. Unless you're driving at WOT all the time, that's probably the richest fuel mixture you'll see.

As for all the other cars... really. You think an alky fueled Supra is a daily driver like your E46? Really? Anyhow, if all of your neighbors were shitting in their lawns, would you think it appropriate for you to **** in yours?

Anyhow, if your excuse for deleting the SAP is simply that it costs $600 new, that's a pretty poor excuse. It can be fixed for much cheaper than that. Even better you can modify it so that it's unlikely to suffer the same failure.

Last edited by blarf; 03-30-2011 at 04:33 PM.
blarf is offline   Reply With Quote