E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-30-2011, 11:07 AM   #21
nick330xi

My Ride: 2001 330xi
im in central jersey, monroe township
nick330xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:36 AM   #22
Washburn

My Ride: 2005 AW 330Ci ZHP
OK so lemme get this clarified:

My key fob is stock (USA), and I have the coupe.
I know that I can roll down the front windows with the fob, and if i hit the fob a 2nd time I can open the tiny back windows as well.
Assuming I ONLY open the main (Front) windows (and NOT the tiny windows), can i or can i not CLOSE the main windows with the key fob?
Old 03-30-2011, 11:37 AM   #23
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick330xi View Post
how would i go about reprogramming the remote so i can get the windows to go back up?
Find a GT1
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:10 PM   #24
ayy benito

My Ride: 2001 325i
Washburn you should be able to roll your main windows up by inserting the key into the door and moving to the lock position and holding it there. To roll them up with just the key fob requires programming.

And I was wondering where this module might be in the car? Mine used to roll down with the fob but after replacing every damn window regulator it doesn't seem to be working anymore. Can they go bad?
Old 03-30-2011, 01:47 PM   #25
Washburn

My Ride: 2005 AW 330Ci ZHP
Oh I meant using the key FOB, not the actual key. (Thanks though)...
So do I need to program the fob to close the front windows using the fob?
Old 03-30-2011, 01:58 PM   #26
drumbum624

My Ride: 325xi
Send a message via AIM to drumbum624
okay it's time for some clarification. Your stock USA spec key fob should only unlock doors, lock doors, open trunk, and put down windows sunroof top etc. I'm not sure about those with a factory alarm but you should be able to have a panic like feature as well. This programming that you all are discussing (otherwise known as coding) is done by computer software and an interface cable that connects to your car's diagnostic port. Any dealer can preform this coding, many independent shops can, and there are also plenty of community members that have said software themselves that can do it for you. There is no programming done to the actual key, all that is being done is certain euro options are being enabled in your car's computer. There are many other coding options done the same way such as high beams and fog lights remaining on at the same time, DRLs off and plenty of others that im positive other members can chime in on. Hope this helps
Old 04-04-2011, 03:36 PM   #27
garrettmarvel

My Ride: 03 M3 Convertible
awesome dude! i have an 05 M3 vert, and i want to program it so the top goes up and down using the key fob, and possibly some of the other "euro" options mentioned above... is there a DIY anywhere for the coding? i've seen people sell boxes on ebay and want to charge money for the programming, but i was hoping i could do it myself, as i like DIY projects as well as learning cool stuf about cars.

any details or DIY or online instructions? i have carsoft diagnostic and cable already...THANKS!
garrettmarvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:43 PM   #28
Tutankhamon

My Ride: '02 Individual 330ci
Send a message via ICQ to Tutankhamon Send a message via AIM to Tutankhamon Send a message via MSN to Tutankhamon
Dunno if it was already mentioned but you can hold down the trunk open button for 5 seconds and if you have the alarm installed, it'll go off - I suppose this is the equivalent of a panic button.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:22 PM   #29
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumbum624 View Post
okay it's time for some clarification. Your stock USA spec key fob should only unlock doors, lock doors, open trunk, and put down windows sunroof top etc. I'm not sure about those with a factory alarm but you should be able to have a panic like feature as well. This programming that you all are discussing (otherwise known as coding) is done by computer software and an interface cable that connects to your car's diagnostic port. Any dealer can preform this coding, many independent shops can, and there are also plenty of community members that have said software themselves that can do it for you. There is no programming done to the actual key, all that is being done is certain euro options are being enabled in your car's computer. There are many other coding options done the same way such as high beams and fog lights remaining on at the same time, DRLs off and plenty of others that im positive other members can chime in on. Hope this helps

Dealers cannot code the European options on US cars.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:48 PM   #30
Tutankhamon

My Ride: '02 Individual 330ci
Send a message via ICQ to Tutankhamon Send a message via AIM to Tutankhamon Send a message via MSN to Tutankhamon
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
This is not entirely true. Yes 9/10 they will say no to you. The truth of the matter is that it's not that they technically can't, they're just not allowed to. All it really takes is for them to reconfigure the ECU to a different region. Each region has its own set of toggles. In some regions, certain options are listed there on the screen but are simply greyed out. It just so happens that the US, and moreso the Euro regions have a lot of "toggleable" options. I only say this because a few years ago, I had an acquaintance who worked at a dealership and one night once the dealership was closing down, he brought me over to the diagnostics station in their garage and showed me how it all works.

Last edited by Tutankhamon; 04-04-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Tutankhamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:15 PM   #31
drumbum624

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrettmarvel View Post
awesome dude! i have an 05 M3 vert, and i want to program it so the top goes up and down using the key fob, and possibly some of the other "euro" options mentioned above... is there a DIY anywhere for the coding? i've seen people sell boxes on ebay and want to charge money for the programming, but i was hoping i could do it myself, as i like DIY projects as well as learning cool stuf about cars.

any details or DIY or online instructions? i have carsoft diagnostic and cable already...THANKS!
your top should already go down with the remote just not back up until you get coding done. as for DIY, search carsoft on the forum here and lots of people have been discussing it. i actually have not seen specific instructions on how to enable certain options yet but the people who have discussed it may be able to help you if you PM them

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
yes they can, some just wont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutankhamon View Post
This is not entirely true. Yes 9/10 they will say no to you. The truth of the matter is that it's not that they technically can't, they're just not allowed to. All it really takes is for them to reconfigure the ECU to a different region. Each region has its own set of toggles. In some regions, certain options are listed there on the screen but are simply greyed out. It just so happens that the US, and moreso the Euro regions have a lot of "toggleable" options. I only say this because a few years ago, I had an acquaintance who worked at a dealership and one night once the dealership was closing down, he brought me over to the diagnostics station in their garage and showed me how it all works.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:55 AM   #32
garrettmarvel

My Ride: 03 M3 Convertible
here is a video of a convertible top down by remote key fob, and the description notes its all done by "coding", no modules...

"Used NCS Expert to enable comfort closing of the windows via remote on a US-spec E46 M3. Done purely through coding - no custom modules or ghetto wiring."

This is what I want to figure out how to do...

garrettmarvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:13 AM   #33
johnrando

My Ride: '06 330 CIC ZHP
The top should go down with the key fob, no recoding necessary. Just press and hold. The top can go up if you put the key in the lock, turn and hold, again no recoding. From what I've read on the forums, you can recode to raise the top from the key fob, without having to put it in the door. I'm not 100% on this, but this has been my experience and what a few others have been saying.

ZHP, Cold Weather Pkg., Leather, Jet Black/Black/Black Cube, NAV
AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete
johnrando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:07 PM   #34
drumbum624

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrettmarvel View Post
here is a video of a convertible top down by remote key fob, and the description notes its all done by "coding", no modules...

"Used NCS Expert to enable comfort closing of the windows via remote on a US-spec E46 M3. Done purely through coding - no custom modules or ghetto wiring."

This is what I want to figure out how to do...

Did that guy code his vert to look like a coupe? I'd like to do that in the winter.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:39 PM   #35
motegi18s

My Ride: BMW 325i
Quote:
Did that guy code his vert to look like a coupe? I'd like to do that in the winter.
LMAO
Old 04-05-2011, 08:48 PM   #36
johnt1436

My Ride: M3
Quote:

2001 M3 Convertible, Carbon Black - Daily Driver
2007 328i Convertible, Atlantic Blue - Wife's car
2003 X5 4.4i - Grocery-getter
johnt1436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:29 PM   #37
rkneeshaw

My Ride: 330i ZHP
subscribed for info on DIY coding.

In particular I want my fogs to stay on when I use my high-beams. I live in northern michigan, far from most BMW dealers, so I dont have many options in terms of getting this done. I may have to rely on DIY.

rkneeshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:22 AM   #38
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutankhamon View Post
Okay technically they can change the VO, but the dealer tools make it much more difficult than it needs to be. They need to request an XML document from Germany with a few checksums and then they need to know what to modify (your typical dealer tech wont). Then to top it off, you will end up with error codes because US and euro hardware isn't 100% identical, and the dealer tools will not let you "mix and match" settings from different regions. If for example you have a dealer recode your LCM to euro spec settings, youll permanently have error codes for the city lights and rear foglights unless you retrofit them. Tools like autologic and NCS expert get around this since you can configure settings line by line.

Coding the general module also has its fair share of issues. If for example you have the alarm, the siren will sound weird (since euro sirens are different parts) and the car will not beep upon lock and unlock. You also won't have panic mode (European noise laws are stricter than American and Canadian laws).

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 04-12-2011 at 12:26 AM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:13 PM   #39
TRIPLE_O

My Ride: E46 Coupe
Can you help me program the Windows up feature?
TRIPLE_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:18 PM   #40
Hermes

My Ride: cars older than you
If you have a friend who is good with computers have them look up 'coding E46 Comfort Windows'. You can also code the Euro pulsing hazards which are cool

Respect Your Elders
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote