E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Food Talk

Food Talk
Do you like food? If so, you came to the right off-topic section. Discuss your favorite food topics here!

View Poll Results: What moves you to purchase an unknown brand of vodka?
Low Price 4 20.00%
Medium Price 1 5.00%
High Price 1 5.00%
Bottle Design 1 5.00%
Perceived Quality 9 45.00%
Country of Origin 2 10.00%
Number of times the product was distilled 0 0%
Base of the product (grain, potato, grapes, etc.) 2 10.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2011, 09:15 PM   #21
ZimZimma328Ci

My Ride: Mopar
Send a message via AIM to ZimZimma328Ci
word of mouth, but vodka is probably my least favorite liquor. love bourbon, whiskey and tequila though
Old 05-06-2011, 10:55 AM   #22
Camicia

My Ride: Automobile
Interesting article on business Week

Quote:
Vodka: Clear and Present Danger

The rise of the funny-named, sub-$20 super-premium cheap vodka

By David Sax

Standing amid pleather ottomans in a dimly lit Manhattan lounge, New York Giants defensive lineman Jason Pierre-Paul was mystified by the vodka bottle before him. It had a screw top; conspicuously absent from its label were a flock of gray geese, a mogul's chateau, or any symbol of gratuitous wealth. Concerned, Pierre-Paul looked up Wódka Vodka on his smartphone and discovered that it retailed for $12. "What the f-k are you serving this for!" he barked at Matt Shendell, proprietor of The Hill bar and restaurant. In response, Shendell persuaded Pierre-Paul to taste the one-time Soviet favorite before passing judgment. He did. At the end of the night, he took a bottle home with him

Wódka's journey from Polish tractor factories to American nightclubs is the result of vodka's latest reinvention. After a decades-long march of absurdly expensive "ultra-premium" and "super-premium" vodkas (Belvedere, Grey Goose, Chopin), the industry has come up with a new recession-proof formula-absurdly cheap "premium" vodkas. Along with Wódka, more than 50 vodkas with sub-$20 price tags and ridiculous names-KU:L, Blue Feather, and L'Chaim, to name a few-have recently created a vodka niche in the affordable luxury category. "If you can put 'ultra-premium' on your label and sell it at a low price point," says Agata Kaczanowska, a beverage analyst with researcher IBIS World, "you're going to be well off." According to Garima Goel Lal, a senior analyst at market research firm Mintel International Group, "Over one-quarter of all spirits drinkers reported moving to cheaper brands in 2010." And many cheap premium vodkas are now taking aim at vestiges of pre-Lehman excess. "Smirnoff?" says James Dale, Wódka's co-owner. "They can go f-k themselves, mate. You can print that!"

Dale, a 40-year-old New Zealander, is at the center of the cheap premium vodka universe. In 2004 he helped introduce 42 Below to the U.S., where it rode the frosted-bottle bull market until Bacardi acquired it, three years later, for $91 million. That same year, one of Dale's associates came across a bottle in a Bialystok, Poland, distillery with a hammer and sickle on its label. Wódka, the Communist Party-approved spirit during the 1950s, also happened to taste very good, and Dale believed it was ripe for an austerity-chic comeback. "We saw psychology change in the U.S. There's a whole generation that's now averse to spending more money than they have to," Dale says. "The whole concept of 'premium' would have to be redefined." In 2010, Wódka-"vodka" in Polish-entered the American market.

Wódka is hoping to reach the heights of Sobieski, which was introduced to the U.S. in 2007. At about $11 per bottle, Sobieski expects to sell a million cases this year, which would make it the fastest-growing vodka in the country. And Sobieski is hoping to reach the heights of Svedka, the godfather of the cheap premium vodka movement. Svedka-a mash-up of the Swedish words for "Sweden" and "vodka"-says it sells around 3.5 million cases annually, with growth averaging 30 percent per year. "Our advantage over the others in what we call the $19.99 club was that we never positioned ourselves strictly as a price-based brand," says Marina Hahn, chief marketing officer of Spirits Marque One, which owns Svedka. "Vodka is odorless, colorless, tasteless, and highly mixable. You need a strong image because it's fairly commoditized."

Therein lies Big Vodka's dirty little secret: There isn't much difference between the absurdly expensive and the absurdly cheap. According to the U.S. government's Code of Federal Regulations, all vodka-no matter how many times it's distilled, whether it comes in a bottle shaped like a human skull, or even if P. Diddy endorses it-is defined as "without distinctive character, aroma, taste, or color." Yet for years the industry has circumvented this snag through marketing gimmicks that make getting drunk seem like a gateway to fame and fortune.

Cheaper offerings, however, have been able to exploit this illusion. Sobieski has based its marketing campaign around the slogan "Truth in Vodka," with Bruce Willis, a shareholder, as its spokesperson. "We have so much fun busting the myths of competitors that say, 'Our vodka is distilled from the water of pure icebergs,'" says Chester Brandes, chief executive officer and president of Sobieski's parent company, Imperial Brands. "Instead we're over-delivering on quality at an affordable price, which, by the way, is something Wódka has copied." In blind tastings by Chicago's Beverage Testing Institute (BTI), Sobieski scored a 95 out of 100. Svedka (91) and Wódka (90) outranked Double Cross Vodka (87, $49.99) and Shanghai White (83, $65).

Marketing remains crucial since cheap premium vodka is an economy of scale business. "The model is based on volume sales at a lower profit," explains Dale, who says Wódka's profit margin runs about 15 percent and the company nets $1 to $2 for every bottle sold. Dale keeps his team lean (Wódka has just eight employees), his costs down (it remains distilled in Poland), and depends on word of mouth. When, say, a professional football player more accustomed to pricier bottle-service fare likes his vodka, he makes sure people know about it.

The bulk of Wódka's business, though, comes from its bar and restaurant clients, since its low costs can double their profit margins. "It's the cheapest vodka I can find that's not in a plastic bottle," says Keith Nelson, beverage manager of the upscale Manhattan restaurant Lavo. "I go through 5 to 10 cases a week." According to Dale, Wódka sales should top 100,000 cases by the end of this year.

Where vodka goes, others follow. In 2007, E&J Gallo Winery released New Amsterdam Gin, which sells for $13.99 and boasts an 89-point BTI rating. Tromba Tequila, a boutique spirit made by a former Don Julio distiller, will soon launch at a price 25 percent cheaper than Patron. It may be the perfect marriage of bottle-service quality and body-shot prices.
Camicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:51 AM   #23
OrisuE46

My Ride: 325xi
i like rum the most, but i usually try and get russian or some kind of european vodka.

R.I.P

OrisuE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:08 PM   #24
YGOAMG

My Ride: 325Ci ClubSport
Send a message via MSN to YGOAMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
I'm not digging the sperm on the side of the bottle
i am

Find me on Instagram
@PeterMarquez346

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4show View Post
who da F done that?
prestige warehouse or who?
YGOAMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:01 PM   #25
brew

My Ride: Sequoia X5 MR2 G20
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
I remember reading a while back about putting cheap vodka (Country Club, Congress, etc.) through a Brita filter to vastly improve it's taste (and vastly decrease ones hangover). We just got a Brita and the wheels of curiosity are turning, lol.
Using a Brita is just an expensive way to polish spirits. You can buy activated carbon in bulk for much cheaper.

http://homedistiller.org/polish.htm
brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:03 PM   #26
brew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camicia View Post
As far as bottle design, what do you guys think of something like this?

If I saw that, I would think that 80% of my money is going to some designer ahole who's laughing all the way to the bank.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:10 PM   #27
brew

I usually ask the liquor store owner what they recommend if I'm looking for something new. Usually they know what they are talking about and they have tasted everything.

I also look for smaller, more local brands, possibly those who are doing their own distribution. The bigger the brand, the more they're spending for distribution, marketing, corporate, etc - their goal is to spend as little money as possible making what's in that bottle. Anything that even hints at trying to be stylish or bling or flashy I avoid. I want the brewer/distiller guy making all of the product decisions, not some investment bank monkeys.

For example, Portland 88 Vodka - local, tastes fantastic, $18 a bottle or less. http://newdealdistillery.com/Product...nd88vodka.html