E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 83 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-18-2015, 08:12 PM   #1
secono330ci

My Ride: 04' 330ci/15' A3 TDI
Stav's 330 N/A Progress Thread |Part 2|

Yes a Part 2

A bunch of new updates/purchases are coming.

..but first..

Discuss:

http://store.bimmerworld.com/bimmerw...ion-p2146.aspx

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
Oh...and the "$300 here, $600 there" scenario will turn into "$3000 here, $6000 there". I've had an enourmous amount of labor put into my car. (Luckily the majority of it was done by myself) Also, I've spent over $5k on my tool set since I started my project. You've been warned...
secono330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:32 PM   #2
jared_wiesner

My Ride: 1999 328i (M54b30)
Stav's 330 N/A Progress Thread |Part 2|

Excited to see where this goes. I can tell you that exhaust will be very hard I live with on the street. Think horrible drone at cruising speeds that gives you a headache in minutes. For ultimate power however it's hard to beat. On a track only car absolutely. On the street I wouldn't do it.

Are you building for N/A or F/I?

Last edited by jared_wiesner; 05-18-2015 at 09:34 PM.
jared_wiesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 10:28 PM   #3
secono330ci

N/A. Thought about F/I, but decided not to for this project.

As for the exhaust being loud, I know this, but I think I have a solution. Bimmerworld/Turner provides two pipes for the midsection (one resonated pipe and one straight pipe). I plan to use the straight pipe and weld in a Magnaflow muffler.

Two or three concerns with this exhaust though..
1) The Y-Pipe. Is it too far down stream? From what I understand, it's suppose to be as close to the headers as possible. I'm sure they did their homework on this though. The collector looks well designed.

2) The Y-Pipe is suppose to be used with e36 manifolds...but no way in hell am I taking off the Technik Gen 3's. So I'll have to cut some piping off the end of the Y piece and weld on new Flanges to mate up to the Technik's.
The thing is, where can I source them from? I'd like to avoid buying a used exhaust just to cut those off.

3) Weld on (2) 3" tips at the end of the exhaust just to keep it clean.
Similar to this:

Quote:
Oh...and the "$300 here, $600 there" scenario will turn into "$3000 here, $6000 there". I've had an enourmous amount of labor put into my car. (Luckily the majority of it was done by myself) Also, I've spent over $5k on my tool set since I started my project. You've been warned...
Old 05-18-2015, 10:52 PM   #4
Rob43
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Stav,

I can't tell, have you bought this exhaust yet ?

Rob43

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 SCCA
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

I BUILD SUSPENSIONS (Consult) FROM MILD TO WILD FOR RWD & Xi E46's
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
I Know How To Fix The Rear "Bouncing" Problem On Your Cheap Coilovers Like: Jom RL FK SE & RK.
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 11:02 PM   #5
secono330ci

No about to

Quote:

Last edited by secono330ci; 05-18-2015 at 11:02 PM.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:10 PM   #6
Rob43
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
I wouldn't then. There are to many points that you yourself have brought up, & all are valid.

1) At roughly $900 plus dollars, You shouldn't need to re-design it.

2) You're 100% correct, the Y pipe should be as close to the header flange as possible.

3) As Jared already said, I'm confident you'll be trying to fix a droning problem within weeks of running them.

On a side note, there's a brand new Burns Y pipe for sale right now from someone that's been sitting on one for quite awhile at ~$165.

Rob43

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 SCCA
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

I BUILD SUSPENSIONS (Consult) FROM MILD TO WILD FOR RWD & Xi E46's
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
I Know How To Fix The Rear "Bouncing" Problem On Your Cheap Coilovers Like: Jom RL FK SE & RK.
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 11:55 PM   #7
secono330ci

The money will be spent regardless, honestly.

Yes I need to tinker with it a bit, but you should know me by now Rob! I like that stuff. Cutting that extra foot or so of piping and attaching new flanges is easy, but where do I get them?

The extra muffler and exhaust tips would need to be done regardless if I use this system or not. Again, I think the nice thing is that they (BW & Turner) provide that extra straight pipe I could use to weld in a muffler.

IMO, it's just easier to buy the system, tweak a few small things, and be done. Not to mention the spec exhaust was actually tested and most close in relation to their WC cars.
(Edit)

Quote:

Last edited by secono330ci; 05-19-2015 at 12:27 AM.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:54 AM   #8
secono330ci

Here's some other stuff I've been messing with on the side. Btw nothing really finished yet, still waiting on the Recaros so I can drive the car..

Disa Valve Repair Kit (Gary's engineering is impressive to say the least) Btw that oem seal eventually came off, but it's a PIA!

OEM Pin going strong for 120k!

Next day, cleaned out the TB & ICV. STETT Intake boots in (possibly selling them idk)

And YES, I reverted back to the BMW Performance box (from Dinan 3.5" CF). I had to on this one. The facelift coupe headlights prevent a tube intake from being practical. I'm gonna give this a go. The design is perfect. Also nice to have both brake ducts fuctional.

Might run this to brake duct.

OEM Silver Cube Trim(new darker version). Would look better with the Recaros..

Quote:
Old 05-19-2015, 04:19 AM   #9
Davconelectric

My Ride: 2 dog powered sled
A friend of mine has the Dinan cai. I was really surprised at the crap design. Would be better off cutting a hole in the front of the oem box
Old 05-19-2015, 10:10 AM   #10
rkneeshaw

My Ride: 330i ZHP
The BMW Performance intake seems very well designed IMO. With the three different inlets pulling fresh air from the front of the car, I can't see how any other design could yield any better results at all. Maybe only if you ever were to somehow pull enough CFM to outflow that filter in there, but you'd probably need like a F5 tornado in your engine bay to do that...

Build thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=696662
Wheelwell: 2003 BMW 3 Series
Fuelly: 2003 BMW 330i
rkneeshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 10:59 AM   #11
Viral@ActiveAutowerke
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: E46 M3
@ post 8

Very Clean Install looks much better than OEM

Last edited by Solidjake; 06-08-2015 at 04:53 AM.
Viral@ActiveAutowerke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 11:06 AM   #12

My Ride: 332
My humble opinion about the exhaust,

1 3" V band Collars....$39
2 3" V band w/clamps.$90
Burn Stainless Y pipe..$165
Tips.........................Too many on market to list
Muffler.....................Too many on market to list
Resonator.................$55
Stainless Stock..........$126 (could more than likely get it cheaper locally)

I would almost bet money you could print this out, take it to a local exhaust shop, they would match the prices or would be cheaper. Then you wouldn't have to do any of the sourcing.

$475 shipped without a muffler/tips/labor. The B/W exhaust is $1200 shipped + labor for changes

You will have a few bucks into muffler/tips. If you are already planning on modifying the BW exhaust why not make more power, get what you want, have no left over parts and save money? Just my 2cents

OE intake boots: Pros: best flow cons: will need replaced due to material cracking over time.
Stett intake boots: Pros: will likely never need to be replaced Cons: air flow isn't optimal

I put together a shopping cart on jegs.com for you: This order includes 8 feet of stainless

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...p:OrderItemAdd

Last edited by 332; 05-19-2015 at 12:01 PM.
332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 12:05 PM   #13

This is how the e46 m3 race Y-pipe is done, You want to mimic this as much as possible. Above is the cheapest/best way to do it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Y pipe BW.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	462.7 KB
ID:	600814  
Old 05-19-2015, 12:18 PM   #14
SoloII///M

My Ride: Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by secono330ci View Post
Man. Last year I would have killed to get ahold of that 3.5" oval to 3" round adapter pictured above. I ended up making something, but what a PITA to match up to that weirdo oval flange.
Old 05-19-2015, 01:07 PM   #15
Iceman00
Banned User

My Ride: E90 6MT
I don't know anymore about the Y pipe placement. The only way to know for sure is to dyno it.
Iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 06:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman00 View Post
I don't know anymore about the Y pipe placement. The only way to know for sure is to dyno it.
good point just throw a x pipe on the end of your exhaust. Then you can have a y pipe and tips
Old 05-19-2015, 10:12 PM   #17
YYCZHP

My Ride: 2005 330ci zhp
I want the stett intake boots if you sell them!!!
Old 05-20-2015, 09:38 AM   #18
Iceman00
Banned User

The Stett Boots are worth a few HP, and My Dinan intake works the same way as what you are trying to make.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:53 AM   #19
jared_wiesner

My Ride: 1999 328i (M54b30)
I can tell you that the location of the y pipe in the BW exhaust is probably not optimal for a car with headers. If they did their research, (and I'm sure they did) they would have placed the y-pipe optimally to scavenge from the stock m52 manifolds. Likely the long different length pipes leading to the y are tuned specifically for that. Different header's change all that.

Last edited by jared_wiesner; 05-20-2015 at 09:53 AM.
jared_wiesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:33 AM   #20
Iceman00
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared_wiesner View Post
I can tell you that the location of the y pipe in the BW exhaust is probably not optimal for a car with headers. If they did their research, (and I'm sure they did) they would have placed the y-pipe optimally to scavenge from the stock m52 manifolds. Likely the long different length pipes leading to the y are tuned specifically for that. Different header's change all that.
Their Y pipe is for the M52 stock manifolds, and ends up with the Y pipe located near the rear of the transmission. In fact, I've seen a LOT of Y pipes end up in that position.
Quote:
Originally Posted by digger

EXHAUST

Did some exhaust mods a few years back, everything I did went backwards and by a lot….lol

The engine seems really sensitive to the exhaust. Perhaps the exhaust side of the head is not working well (MM hardly do anything to the exhaust side for their head, cam etc due to emission reasons) or perhaps that it is overcammed and the ‘right’ exhaust helps counter some of the side effects/problems ….

Run 1 to run 2 was a catalytic converter change out where the new cats were moved closer and side by side as opposed to staggered
Run1

Run 2

Further investigation into this never found out what happened. I even put back a similar set of cats and used photos to position them as close to where they were but it didn’t do squat. Perhaps it was something to do with the dyno setup on Run1 and as such it is not real or there was another issue at play…..

Run 2 to run 3 was a x-pipe relocated closer to the engine
Exhaust from run 2

Exhaust from run 3 notice the x-pipe is closer to the engine

Run 3 to run 4 was a cam timing change (advanced 8 degrees). i did a cam belt change at the same time and thought maybe the timing shifted a few degrees. while i found good gains the shape of the torque curves shows that this was not the problem. the real problem is the relocation of the x-pipe.

http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118753