E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:55 AM   #1
daniel_f.

My Ride: 330iC
Biggest MS43 tuning thread ever! Incl software...

For all you MS43 guys out there, we did some massive work to help you out with the biggest and most important collection of software and knowledge available.

We want you to be able to tune your MS43 based on our software and knowledge, which we gathered in uncountable hours behind the computer screen and on the dyno making impressive mods

Instead of working at several different softwareversion, there are at least 6 know up to now, we decided to bring this together to work just at one so the biggest support can be guaranteed.

The softwareversion we are talking about and the definition is written for will be MS430056. Weve chosen it for several reasons, at least it has the most corresponding damos file.

Unfortunally there is no official support from BMW to flash that specific softwareversion, but thats no big deal as we have erased the EWS system for that specific version in our ews deleted file.

So, to work with the xdf is rather simple. All you need to do is to make shure you either have a MS43 running at that softwareversion or you simply flash the ews delete file onto your ecu. The latter one has some pros as there is a logger file that can be used to gather information on the engine state. If you already have a logger for your MS430056 file, you can stay with your current ecu.

If youre uncomfortable with deleting the EWS system from your ecu, we can supply you a virginized file to use, but that again lacks logger capability (you can always purchase your own license if you want to!).

Supported are all 4 different engine versions which use the MS43, namely its M54B22, M54B25, M54B30 and Alpina E/5. If you have a stock MS430056 for a different engine, please send us an email at MS43info @ yahoo.com if you wish to support us. However we are confident to have the needed files within a few days, so that every supported engine can be tuned (Franken-engines are possible also, but may require additional work!)

The most recent constants, factors and maps are included in this amazing definition file. They are grouped into the most reasoned categories for easier working.

Instead of attaching the files here with *.pdf extension and the need to mess with them, we are hosting the files at a google drive. That makes it much easier to upload updated versions, so make shure you check back.

MS43 development crew

Anonymous upload of MS43 files can be done via the following link:

https://script.google.com/macros/s/A...vRpDLG3cg/exec

Video instructions are available at Youtube!

FAQ:

1. what cables do i need? i have an inpa cable at the moment

Perfect! If it has an FTDI chip (most probably), this is going to do it all.

2. what software do i need? (i have galleto, JMgarageflasher and pro tuner is that everything? ig got this from your thread on here.)

Exactly! You can modify the Galletto.exe to work with your existing INPA cable. JMGarageFlasher works with every obd cable as far as i can tell.

3. how do i put the dme into boot mode? does the ecu need to be on a bench set up? or does it still have to be connected to the car and i connect to the obd2 port? iv been reading on how to do it but im getting quite confused with it all.

This is covered in our instructions on how to read the full flash file and i would like you to read it. If its not working for you, re-read it and try again. Still not working, ask me again.

4.if it is a bench setup do i need to connect to the connector socket pins on the DME?

You can do it on a bench or you can do it in the car, whatever you prefer. Im using a bench setup as im pretty often downloading and uploading the full flash file.

PLEASE NOTE: You need boot mode flashing ONLY if you are going to flash the full 512kb file. Normally its enough to flash the tune/calibration section with Galletto.

UPLOADING 512kb can only be done with JMGarageFlasher. So id advise to use JMGarageFlasher WHENEVER you deal with the 512kb file.

5. do i put it into boot mode, read the file on the ecu then i can transfer the file as a .bin to pro tuner, make the alterations then write it back using jmgarageflasher?

TunerPro currently only works with the tune/calibration file (64kb) which can be up- and downloaded via Galletto without the boot mode

So, basically what youre going to do is to edit the Galletto.exe, download the tune/calibration and upload it into TunerPro. In there, you make the changes, correct the checksum and re-upload it to your ecu afterwards.

However if you are using the ews delete files, you need to flash that 512kb via JMGarageFlasher and using bootmode. IF your are using the ews deleted files, there is no need to correct the checksum after modifying the tune/calibration.

6.how do i perform the EWS delete? from what i make of it i put the DME into boot mode then write/flash the file on the google drive folder .BIN file to the DME?

Exactly! You first force the ecu into bootmode (use the instructional pdf as resource), connect it to JMGarageFlasher, upload the 512kb file which matches your engine type (M54B**) and thats it.

This step enables you to use BMWLogger, TunerPro XDF and maybe other funny stuff in the future.

If I understand correctly, the EWS is theft prevention.

Correct.

1. Can you not flash the ECU without "deleting" the EWS?

Of course you can.

2. Can this be reversed if you want, or is it gone "forever"?

Yes, everytime! You can always flash any MS43 to your ecu.

3. Should I get a second system to play with, and save whats in my car?

Absolutely! Id always recommend getting a spare ecu to play with.

4. When you flash the delete program, is the factory "limits" removed to a base point, or do you need to alter the maps to liking. (rev limit, low level limits like that, not full ignition and fuel)

Yes and no. Were not removing any limiters except the rpm limiter for missing vehicle speed We dont want to supply tuned files.

5. Is everyone using the Galletto 1260, or is another/better option available now?

We recommend using JMGarageFlasher for working with the full flash file in bootmode and Galletto for working with the partial file.

I'm spending free time looking all this up when not studying, so catch up has been slow. I'm very interested in knowing more about reflashing factory computers like this instead of removing having to remove everything for a full stand alone. Factory base tunes always seem to have the best idle, cold, and hot start settings that are time consuming and frustrating.

Thats absolutely correct. BMW and Alpina used extensive work to get the ecu almost perfect for every situation.

So, as recap:

512kb file is best handled by JMGarageFlasher and contains vehicle specific data like EWS, VIN, the maps in the tune and, most important, it contains all the code on how the ecu needs to handle all the maps.
It MUST be handled in bootmode

64kb file is best handled by Galletto. This file contains all the maps, scalars, factors and constants which separate one engine from the other, like M54B22 vs. M54B30 or E46 from E39. This is the file that needs to be loaded in WinOLS or TunerPro to modify for changes
It must NOT be handled in bootmode

Feature overview

Last edited by daniel_f.; 01-25-2016 at 01:40 AM.
daniel_f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:14 PM   #2
jdjg

My Ride: e39, m52tub30
Excelent Daniel!!!
jdjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 06:14 PM   #3
Hobbit382

My Ride: 99-328i 00-323i
Hobbit382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 12:55 PM   #4
new//M3fan

My Ride: 77' 924 87' E30
Great!

To flash the full file place into boot mode but instead of read upload the binary?
Old 07-29-2015, 01:01 PM   #5
daniel_f.

Use JMGarageflasher to upload. Yes, force the ecu into boot mode and flash the whole 512kb file. afterwards use Galletto or fake it and change tune section. No need to care about checksum of partial file.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:42 PM   #6
HakenTT

My Ride: 323i with S54
I tested the ews off file above and engine does not start.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:01 PM   #7
NoGuru

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by HakenTT View Post
Are you sure you just don't want this information shared?
Old 07-30-2015, 02:58 PM   #8
HakenTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGuru View Post
Are you sure you just don't want this information shared?
Test it yourself then.
HakenTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 03:11 PM   #9
new//M3fan

Quote:
I have a spare MS43 I can play with. Hakken, Did you clear variants and adaptations before trying to start it?
Old 07-30-2015, 05:00 PM   #10
HakenTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by new//M3fan View Post
I have a spare MS43 I can play with. Hakken, Did you clear variants and adaptations before trying to start it?
Yes I did, regardless it should start the engine. My solution works, no need to do anything else.
I guess Daniel and his coder tested this on a bench and not on a real car.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:33 AM   #11
daniel_f.

Ive tried it for quite some time in the past before releasing it Ill try to do a video on it later today.

Absolutely no need to do anything to adaptations or things like that. Plug it in and the engine is ready to start.

Last edited by daniel_f.; 07-31-2015 at 12:34 AM.
Old 08-01-2015, 12:31 PM   #12
Hobbit382

Quote:
Yes I did, regardless it should start the engine. My solution works, no need to do anything else.
I guess Daniel and his coder tested this on a bench and not on a real car.
Please leave this thread, I'm so tired of your misinformation and negative attitude. Ews delete is working just fine on my car as well.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:04 AM   #13
daniel_f.

Quote:
Originally Posted by new//M3fan View Post
Unfortunally hes right this time. I messed with the implementation of the signature just before releasing the file, so that well-known People can`t state it`s their work.

Nevertheless i forgot to correct checksum2 at that file before uploading it, thats why it says "100 ecu error".

I apologyze for that mistake and will update the Google drive as soon as possible.

Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited by daniel_f.; 08-02-2015 at 09:08 AM.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:08 PM   #14
HakenTT

What ever.

Last edited by HakenTT; 03-19-2016 at 03:12 AM.
HakenTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 02:20 PM   #15
Rob43
Performance Suspension Guru

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Quote:
You are a fraud and a liar. Very typical for Arizona BMW owner. Daniel just confirmed that it does not work.

Thanks on honesty, at least some of it is left in occupied Germany. But it is not good for your reputation to release something without testing it first.

This, coming from the leading authority on truth & honesty....

Hell, I wouldn't buy Girl Scout cookies from you even if I were starving.

Rob43

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

NEW E46 Xi COILOVERS DISCOVERED FOR ~$729 SHIPPED
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
I Know How To Fix The Rear "Bouncing" Problem On Your Inexpensive Coilovers Like: Jom, RL, SE, & RK.
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 04:23 PM   #16
daniel_f.

Arrow

Quote:

Thanks on honesty, at least some of it is left in occupied Germany. But it is not good for your reputation to release something without testing it first.
I Don't care about Reputation. We know how its working and without thiefs like we all know, i would have released it without my signature. But as we both know that there are terrible People all around , unfortunally that means we have to stick with the signature

As our Group obviously doesnt Need that signature, i implemented it just for those terrible persons, you know
Old 08-02-2015, 06:12 PM   #17
zek926

My Ride: 325ti TS2+ / 320cd
I love the drama on this forum! Anyway just want to say thanks Dan you are doing great work!
zek926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:20 PM   #18
Hobbit382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post

Rob43
Couldn't have said it better
Old 08-03-2015, 08:21 AM   #19
new//M3fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_f. View Post
Unfortunally hes right this time. I messed with the implementation of the signature just before releasing the file, so that well-known People can`t state it`s their work.

Nevertheless i forgot to correct checksum2 at that file before uploading it, thats why it says "100 ecu error".

I apologyze for that mistake and will update the Google drive as soon as possible.

Sorry for the confusion.
No worries about it. I'll keep an eye out for it and try it on my spare ECU when I have a chance. People make mistakes and no reason to go Hakken about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post

Rob43

Last edited by new//M3fan; 08-03-2015 at 08:24 AM.
new//M3fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:26 AM   #20
daniel_f.

Files are updated and working