E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-20-2012, 06:52 PM   #81
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
You can wire it on, but it doesn't keep the shaft from breaking off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashtwosix View Post
PEI330,

I remembered reading your build thread on here and my330i that your oil pump nut was finger loose even after the special modified oil pump and ATI damper. You discovered this observation after your engine exploded and you disassembled your engine. If this is correct then is there really any cure for the oil pump nut?
Old 01-20-2012, 07:22 PM   #82
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieE46 View Post
You can wire it on, but it doesn't keep the shaft from breaking off.
maybe my timeline reference is a little off. did Adam install this new custom oil pump assesmbly prior to his crash/explosion. the only reason why i am asking is because after the fire, adam opened up his engine to do an inspection to see how his engine held up. i remembered reading that after the fire he removed the oil pan and noticed the nut was extremely loose.
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:31 PM   #83
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Custom pump is after the fact.
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:31 PM   #84
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Yeah, the loose nut was found with the VAC "upgrade." No failures that I'm aware of with the 4 bolt pump which is the subject of this thread.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:04 AM   #85
330Hero

My Ride: 330ci
I have a question

I notice someone saying if you run the engine backwards the nut will spin off. I'm planning on taking my 330 to drift days and will be spinning out a lot - does this mean if I don't declutch in time and the engine runs the wrong way I'm likely to break my oil pump?
330Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:09 AM   #86
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
The engine will never "run backwards" and if the crank were to somehow magically start rotating in the opposite direction, you'd have bigger issues than the oil pump. More likely the sudden extreme accel and decel of the crank (caused by the sudden changes in tire grip) would yield some extreme torsional behavior which could potentially cause oil pump or valve train issues or even break the crank itself. I wouldn't worry too much though, your rear subframe is more likely to rip out of the chassis before you get to the point of engine damage....
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump

Last edited by TxZHP04; 05-22-2012 at 11:10 AM.
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:29 AM   #87
da Vinci

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i ZHP
Hero is talking about spinning out and rolling backwards without pushing in the clutch. The engine dies and the tires find grip and turn the engine backwards. DON'T DO IT. Be ready with the clutch.

Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler. Albert Einstein

da Vinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:59 PM   #88
330Hero

Yeah exactly that ^^

I take it even if I got the VAC OPN, if I spin and roll backwards and missed the declutch, the oil pump is going to shit the bolt off still? Not that it matters if the rest of the engines going to disintegrate as well.

Just never heard of a car doing that before.. one to watch out for..

Last edited by 330Hero; 05-22-2012 at 01:00 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:05 PM   #89
HighBoostin330

My Ride: 2002 Stock 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330Hero View Post
Yeah exactly that ^^

I take it even if I got the VAC OPN, if I spin and roll backwards and missed the declutch, the oil pump is going to shit the bolt off still? Not that it matters if the rest of the engines going to disintegrate as well.

Just never heard of a car doing that before.. one to watch out for..
Or you can get the vaio custom oil pump. It will solve the issue or concern you have.
HighBoostin330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:10 PM   #90
330Hero

Thanks, where would one aquire a vaio pump? Cant see any shops that sell one online..

(Your car looks amazing in your sig btw - top bombing!)
Old 05-22-2012, 01:19 PM   #91
HighBoostin330

My Ride: 2002 Stock 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330Hero View Post
Thanks, where would one aquire a vaio pump? Cant see any shops that sell one online..

(Your car looks amazing in your sig btw - top bombing!)
I actually have one for sale out of my car. I just have been lazy to post it up for sale.

It is the same pump that PEI330CI went into thorough detail here: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...891&highlight=

Thanks for the kudos. i
HighBoostin330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:41 PM   #92
Ivor-BMW

My Ride: BMW e46 330
Hi,
I'm new here. So i'm geting my car redy for some fun (drifting) it is going to be track car only e46 330. For now it will be preaty standart. I want to have few events this year.
This thread is very informative thanks.
I got that nut welded on my and hope it will last for now I'm geting optional low pressure worning light as well.Just pecaution.
So I was thinking would u not be able to weld srocket to the shaft on other side it looks like there is some little space to do so. and then put the cover on and press it in.
Thats my thought. Don't be throwing stones on me.

English not my native language.

Last edited by Ivor-BMW; 07-10-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Ivor-BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:58 PM   #93
Diabolu$

My Ride: 330 ci supercharged
Hi all! I'm looking for vaio custom oil pump. Could anyone help me, whete can i get it?
Thanks!
Diabolu$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:13 AM   #94
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabolu$ View Post
Hi all! I'm looking for vaio custom oil pump. Could anyone help me, whete can i get it?
Thanks!
PM vaio76109 and ask him nicely and he might do it for you...
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:37 PM   #95
imagine-02

My Ride: 330i
Is the "vaio" oil pump the same part number as the OEM pump for our cars, just with a custom shaft and sprocket?

Edit: I think I figured it out.
I was wondering how it could be the same since the shaft has such a large bump out behind the sprocket, but I noticed in one of the pictures that the cover on the pump has been machined down.

Last edited by imagine-02; 12-05-2013 at 12:40 PM.
imagine-02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:30 AM   #96
Flop
gettin' after it

My Ride: '04 330Ci 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivor-BMW View Post
Hi,
I'm new here. So i'm geting my car redy for some fun (drifting) it is going to be track car only e46 330. For now it will be preaty standart. I want to have few events this year.
This thread is very informative thanks.
I got that nut welded on my and hope it will last for now I'm geting optional low pressure worning light as well.Just pecaution.
So I was thinking would u not be able to weld srocket to the shaft on other side it looks like there is some little space to do so. and then put the cover on and press it in.
Thats my thought. Don't be throwing stones on me.

English not my native language.
Old post, but I was thinking about doing the exact same thing. TIG weld the sprocket to the shaft from the backside and press it into the housing. This *should* prevent the sprocket from shearing off as compared to just welding the nut to the sprocket.

Thoughts @PEI330Ci?

Last edited by Flop; 12-17-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Flop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:46 AM   #97
imagine-02

When it breaks in the welded nut form, is the shaft breaking or are the slots on the shaft, which hold the sprocket, stripping?
If it's the shaft breaking, welding the sprocket on isn't going to help. If it's just the slots stripping, then I would think welding the sprocket right to the shaft would work.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:18 PM   #98
Flop
gettin' after it

My Ride: '04 330Ci 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine-02 View Post
When it breaks in the welded nut form, is the shaft breaking or are the slots on the shaft, which hold the sprocket, stripping?
If it's the shaft breaking, welding the sprocket on isn't going to help. If it's just the slots stripping, then I would think welding the sprocket right to the shaft would work.
The shaft shears at the splined portion, which is smaller in diameter. Welding the sprocket to the larger OD portion of shaft should prevent it from shearing.

Last edited by Flop; 12-17-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Flop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:24 PM   #99
imagine-02

I understand what you mean now.
I might try welding it like that this winter while the car is already ripped apart.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:26 PM   #100
unevolved

My Ride: 2003 325i
I'm assuming the welded sprocket/shaft assembly isn't heat treated post-weld, right? Or has someone already tried that?

In a bacon and egg sandwich, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. Be that pig.
unevolved is offline   Reply With Quote