E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2011, 09:43 AM   #1
mad_polo

My Ride: E46 320
Mayday mayday sos!

BIG BIG poblem with my E46 and I hope im just blowing it out of proportion.

I have a 2004 320d M-sport 150bhp with 73K on the clock.

I was overtaking on the motorway when all of a sudden I lost power and the engine started making this whining/grinding noise.

No white smoke coming from the exhaust at the time, however since then, there has been white smoke. The car revs and there is no warning light that has come up onto the dashboard. I have had the RAC have a look at it, but they cant really put their finger on it.

I was hoping if anyone could bring light onto this and let me know if you've had a similar problem.
mad_polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:46 AM   #2
CylonRed

My Ride: '01 E46 330i sport
White smoke with a sweet smell = head gasket and hopefully not a warped head.
CylonRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:51 AM   #3
JJMolson

My Ride: 2000 328i
being that its a diesel correct? actually before i ask, is it a stick or smg 2?
JJMolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:52 AM   #4
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
How does the coolant look like when you check it?
Old 04-03-2011, 09:53 AM   #5
mad_polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMolson View Post
being that its a diesel correct? actually before i ask, is it a stick or smg 2?
Its a Diesel 6 Speed Manual (stick)
Old 04-03-2011, 09:55 AM   #6
mad_polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraklas View Post
How does the coolant look like when you check it?
Coolant seems fine. I topped up the oil yesterday before setting out so that it was between the minimum and maximum limits and after doing only 160miles or so, its gone down to the minimum level
Old 04-03-2011, 09:55 AM   #7
JJMolson

the odds of the head gasket being blow isnt very likely, as long as the coolant system has been serviced properly. make sure its not the turbo making the noise and try to pin point the exact area the sounds coming from. (if it sounds like a police siren its possible that the turbo has gone bad)
Old 04-03-2011, 09:57 AM   #8
mad_polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonRed View Post
White smoke with a sweet smell = head gasket and hopefully not a warped head.
If the head gasket had gone, the engine would be over heating right? My engine is running at optimum temp.

The noise kicks in around 1500rpm and above. After a few seconds. the noise only comes on just above 2000rpm :S
Old 04-03-2011, 09:59 AM   #9
mad_polo

The noise is coming from the right hand side of the engine (driver side area) and the service history is immaculate - full BMW and no issues have previously been picked up.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:05 AM   #10
JJMolson

you may have a possible vacuum leak check the intake and all the hoses, its possible that while you where boosting one of the hoses came off or apart. look for cracks on the intake as well, even near the throttle body.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:21 AM   #11
pilot_alex

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330CI
Send a message via MSN to pilot_alex Send a message via Skype™ to pilot_alex
Is it heavy white smoke and really poor performance? I know from previous experience mind you on SAAB, white smoke + rattling is 99% turbo. Very common signs. Take the down pipe of and put your finger in the turbo (obv when off) if there is oil in the turbo thats your problem. Another way of checking is take off the hose that goes to your throttle body. Check the hose for any oil.

Edit: You posted saying that the oil went down?? If so im leaking even more towards you have a turbo thats gone bad. Like i said check hoses if you have oil then im 100% positive turbo is gone. Do not drive the car any more because you will damage your catalytic converter and flood your entire engine with oil.

Last edited by pilot_alex; 04-03-2011 at 10:24 AM.
pilot_alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:37 AM   #12
mad_polo

I have uploaded a video onto youtube so that you can hear the noise. (Engine Cold Start)

Old 04-03-2011, 10:42 AM   #13
pilot_alex

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330CI
Send a message via MSN to pilot_alex Send a message via Skype™ to pilot_alex
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_polo View Post
I have uploaded a video onto youtube so that you can hear the noise. (Engine Cold Start)

Hmm could be the impeller on the turbo. Like i said just take of intake hose easies thing to do and check for oil.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:55 AM   #14
JJMolson

that sounds definite on the turbo, start getting some prices or if your mechanically inclined find a rebuild kit
Old 04-08-2011, 08:12 AM   #15
mad_polo

*UPDATE*

Guys... I found out yesterday that its the Turbo that has gone. The intercooler is clogged and the full exhaust is flooded with oil (pre-CAT, CAT all the way down to the rear muffler) Been calling around a few garages, not many want to really touch it. BMW quoted me 3970 parts and labour included!
Old 04-08-2011, 09:49 AM   #16
BoogetyBoogety

My Ride: 2010 SL550
3970!?! Now it's a Mayday...

Surely you've checked with others besides BMW... you might find a world of difference between their prices and real-world prices. And have you thought of DIY'ing it?
BoogetyBoogety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:13 AM   #17
Drizzles

My Ride: 1999 BMW 318i E46 4D
Goddamn ... maybe try an Indy mechanic ... that'd be a bigass DIY
Old 04-08-2011, 12:07 PM   #18
Silver01

My Ride: 2001 330i
Exhaust, turbo and intercooler piping is not that hard. If you have mechanical knowledge it should be something you can accomplish in a weekend.

Best of Luck with everything.

2001 330i Sport Package
BIR Sport compact proving grounds
Silver01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:18 AM   #19
mad_polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogetyBoogety View Post

Surely you've checked with others besides BMW... you might find a world of difference between their prices and real-world prices. And have you thought of DIY'ing it?
Yeah, i've asked around, but the problem is not a lot of garages want to do it due to the extent of the work. I dont want to pay stupid money to BMW and I dont have a garage at home to DIY properly.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:55 AM   #20
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogetyBoogety View Post

OP, I like Boogety^2's thought. You can buy all the tools you'd need, spend a hard week studying, and make out $$$$ ahead still.

And, not knowing anything at all about the insides of mufflers, I think I'd take it apart soon, turn it on it's end and let it dry out.

I'd read and work on car and if needed, impose on someone for rides or rent a mini!

When you're done, you could, it sounds like, take the family to Texas for a vacation and shake Boogety's hand...and still be ahead $-wise.

Sorry, man...doesn't sound too good, but I suspect you'd feel great when you realized you could do this! Maybe not. What's 17 times 23?

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, grinding, noise, turbo, whining