E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2011, 04:00 PM   #1
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!

My Ride: 335/X5/M3/848/128i
Well, my quads seem to be....

....responding well to my deadlift/hang press (...a squat movement that includes a simultaneous shoulder press, and ends in an overhead squat movement) regimen. They weren't small before, but I'm noticing some additional growth/development. What do you guys think?

M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:12 PM   #2
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
They should be responding more to squats than the deadlifts....Look good tho.
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:23 PM   #3
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Matt View Post
They should be responding more to squats than the deadlifts....Look good tho.
I squat too, but I've always avoided the deadlift (..as you might have remembered me mentioning months ago). My fear of the deadlift is why I've placed so much emphasis on it.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 04-05-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:43 PM   #4
BMW_Matt

Lol I fear squat now. 99% sure I herniated my L5 lumbar. Haven't squatted, deadlifted, bent over rowed in weeks. It's starting to heal now. Pain is now 1-2/10. Just kinda a slight nuisance once a hr or so. Getting better.

When I get back into it, I'm gonna switch to box Squats for a while to get my form perfect before attempting regular. For Dead's I'm gonna vid myself for a while light weight to make sure it's perfect. It sucks.

Glad I have a year and a half until I apply to local police agencies. I'll be ready for the Physical test. 185 8% Bf
Old 04-05-2011, 08:12 PM   #5
Ghostie

My Ride: What else?
Herniated disc is no lie.... suffered it once while doing squats, once during a duathlon, and another time while doing one-legged dead lifts....~4-6weeks recovery time for me.

You're better off just backing off weight lifting for now and letting it heal properly, or you could run into problems down the line (ask me how I know)

M3, got a before pic? hard to gauge
Ghostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:15 PM   #6
BMW_Matt

Well the thing is I'm doing lighter weights and taking it easy, getting blood flow to it, etc. and it seems to be getting better. Do u think that it's better? I've read that still exercising some helps get blood to flow and increase recovery time? How much time did u take off?
Old 04-05-2011, 08:23 PM   #7
Ghostie

Yep, you do want to keep some sort exercise routine, my Dr. mentioned the blood flow issue as well.....plus active people recover much quicker than couch potatoes.

BUT, you should stay away from anything that causes impact on the spine (i.e squats, deads and even running)

All I did during my recovery period was ride a bicycle a few times a week (on smooth surfaces only)
Old 04-05-2011, 08:33 PM   #8
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!

Quote:

Glad I have a year and a half until I apply to local police agencies. I'll be ready for the Physical test. 185 8% Bf
Good stuff!

FYI, the physical tests are usually pretty easy (..for the average athlete); tough only for those who spend their time lifting snack cakes. What you really should be concerned about - when the time comes - is your ability to run. That's what they focus on while in the academy; lifting weights is just a pasttime. Once you're well into the process, run, and run a lot. You should be able to crank off 4 or 5 miles at an 8-10 minute per mile pace before entering an academy. It will reduce your stress levels (..much of it brought on by fast-paced academics and PT)......trust me!

Ghostie,

Unfortunately I don't have any before pictures. This was a random picture that I took with the intent on starting a "Who does M3Inline6 look like" thread, but I decided against it.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 04-05-2011 at 08:36 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:41 PM   #9
BMW_Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostie View Post
Yep, you do want to keep some sort exercise routine, my Dr. mentioned the blood flow issue as well.....plus active people recover much quicker than couch potatoes.

BUT, you should stay away from anything that causes impact on the spine (i.e squats, deads and even running)

All I did during my recovery period was ride a bicycle a few times a week (on smooth surfaces only)

I am staying away from all that. No deads, Squats, BOrows, etc. I am still doing bb bench and weighted dips. Should i stop that? I think I'm gonna swim instead of run. How long after the initial pain till u were back Deadlifting/squatting?
Old 04-05-2011, 08:43 PM   #10
BMW_Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
Good stuff!

FYI, the physical tests are usually pretty easy (..for the average athlete); tough only for those who spend their time lifting snack cakes. What you really should be concerned about - when the time comes - is your ability to run. That's what they focus on while in the academy; lifting weights is just a pasttime. Once you're well into the process, run, and run a lot. You should be able to crank off 4 or 5 miles at an 8-10 minute per mile pace before entering an academy. It will reduce your stress levels (..much of it brought on by fast-paced academics and PT)......trust me!

Ghostie,

Unfortunately I don't have any before pictures. This was a random picture that I took with the intent on starting a "Who does M3Inline6 look like" thread, but I decided against it.
Yeah I won't be worried at all about the running part. I push myself and I'm athletic, and will be in military shape. Just need to recover from this darn incident.

Well that and hope I can still join after a herniated disc
Old 04-05-2011, 08:59 PM   #11
Glight

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
....responding well to my deadlift/hang press (...a squat movement that includes a simultaneous shoulder press, and ends in an overhead squat movement) regimen. They weren't small before, but I'm noticing some additional growth/development. What do you guys think?

I've been thinking about this for like 10 minutes and I still cant even comprehend what this exercise is. Can you explain it. Definitely sounds like something I'm interested in trying.
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:01 PM   #12
Ghostie

Quote:
I am staying away from all that. No deads, Squats, BOrows, etc. I am still doing bb bench and weighted dips. Should i stop that? I think I'm gonna swim instead of run. How long after the initial pain till u were back Deadlifting/squatting?
I'd say about 2 months total...I was super antsy, even after I was given the OK to go back to the gym.

I wouldn't do the weighted dips...and even when benching, I would go light...you'd be surprised at how much lower back is involved when you start struggling to get that last rep

also if you haven't already, I would see a Dr and get it x-rayed. When you pop a disc, you shift the spine...and while the disc will eventually heal itself, you want to make sure the spine is properly aligned
Old 04-05-2011, 09:02 PM   #13
BMW_Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glight View Post
I've been thinking about this for like 10 minutes and I still cant even comprehend what this exercise is. Can you explain it. Definitely sounds like something I'm interested in trying.
I think he's talking about Hang cleans. At least thats the way I read it.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:05 PM   #14
BMW_Matt

Quote:
I'd say about 2 months total...I was super antsy, even after I was given the OK to go back to the gym.

I wouldn't do the weighted dips...and even when benching, I would go light...you'd be surprised at how much lower back is involved when you start struggling to get that last rep

also if you haven't already, I would see a Dr and get it x-rayed. When you pop a disc, you shift the spine...and while the disc will eventually heal itself, you want to make sure the spine is properly aligned
The only thing about the doctor situation. I'm at school right now. The school nurses suck. When they "thought" I had mono, they ran 3 tests of the finger prick, etc and still didn't know wtf was wrong with me.
And my doctor from home is a pediatric doctor so I'm not sure how much he knows on the subject. I feel he's just gonna say take a few months off.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:06 PM   #15
Ghostie

Quote:
I used to do a variation of this...start out with a shoulder press, then drop down to a squat while lowering the weight to just under chin....then straight back up to shoulder press as you stand up (i'm sure there is a name for it, I just don't remember)

Makes ghostie cry alot
Old 04-05-2011, 09:08 PM   #16
Ghostie

Quote:
The only thing about the doctor situation. I'm at school right now. The school nurses suck. When they "thought" I had mono, they ran 3 tests of the finger prick, etc and still didn't know wtf was wrong with me.
And my doctor from home is a pediatric doctor so I'm not sure how much he knows on the subject. I feel he's just gonna say take a few months off.
lol, dude...I'm sure there's more than one doctor in your city.

make a few calls, ask around
Old 04-05-2011, 09:13 PM   #17
BMW_Matt

Quote:

Also, it was never a BAD pain and it never hurt while doing deads/Squats. Weird. It was just a nuisance. I'll go try and get a xray.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:13 PM   #18
mvrk10256

My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
you look like me. except I am white and fatter.

however I love deadlifts - make my legs look and feel great. helps my back a lot too.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:31 PM   #19
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!

Quote:
I first came across the exercise on exrx.net a few years ago. I'll check to see if the website still has the video.

Here is an explanation of the movement:
  • Position yourself to perform a squat (..ideally within a squat rack).
  • With a wide grip, lower yourself into a controlled squat while simultaneously pressing the weight overhead; this movement requires speed/explosiveness (..similar to the explosiveness required for a "jerk").
  • Stand up while still holding the weight overhead.
  • Lower the weight onto your shoulders and repeat.

It's a tough movement to execute because of the balance necessary. I'm currently only pressing 100 lbs. Anything more, and I lose balance and/or I'm not able to press the weight overhead as I squat. I'm building up the weight steadily however; I was using only 75 lbs when I began working on this movement a little over a year ago (..although I wasn't performing it on a regular basis either). I'd start off with only the bar just to get a feel for the movement in its entirety, then add weight accordingly.

P.S. You should end up looking like this after you press the weight over your head:

Quote:
I used to do a variation of this...start out with a shoulder press, then drop down to a squat while lowering the weight to just under chin....then straight back up to shoulder press as you stand up (i'm sure there is a name for it, I just don't remember)

Makes ghostie cry alot

Last edited by M3Inline6; 04-05-2011 at 09:40 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:12 PM   #20
Glight

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
I first came across the exercise on exrx.net a few years ago. I'll check to see if the website still has the video.

Here is an explanation of the movement:
  • Position yourself to perform a squat (..ideally within a squat rack).
  • With a wide grip, lower yourself into a controlled squat while simultaneously pressing the weight overhead; this movement requires speed/explosiveness (..similar to the explosiveness required for a "jerk").
  • Stand up while still holding the weight overhead.
  • Lower the weight onto your shoulders and repeat.

It's a tough movement to execute because of the balance necessary. I'm currently only pressing 100 lbs. Anything more, and I lose balance and/or I'm not able to press the weight overhead as I squat. I'm building up the weight steadily however; I was using only 75 lbs when I began working on this movement a little over a year ago (..although I wasn't performing it on a regular basis either). I'd start off with only the bar just to get a feel for the movement in its entirety, then add weight accordingly.

P.S. You should end up looking like this after you press the weight over your head:

Ahhhh. It has a specific name that is escaping me right now.... maybe a pressing snatch balance + overhead squat. It's a move they use in olypic lifting training quite a bit. I need to do more of that stuff that stuff this summer as I'm planning on doing a lot more oly work.

Ghostie, those are called thrusters if I'm understanding what you are describing correctly.
Sent from my ADR6300 using Bimmer App
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote