E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-16-2011, 10:25 PM   #21
mtl330ci

My Ride: 330 cab/04 M3 cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamine View Post
Glad I found this thread. I gather that the top matte coat was able to bond to the conditioner? When I think of a conditioner, I think of something that is oil based.

Would you have any pictures of the seat with and without the matte surface?

Did you thin the paint? If so - how much?

I'm in the middle of my own project now. I'm prepping the leather by using lacquer thinner to remove most of the old factory paint on the leather (its paint not dye=]). I used a scrub pad. I did notice some lose of grain but do notice that the leather still retained it.

I'm going to use leatherique to soften the leather before i begin painting with an air gun.

Would love to hear your opinions.

A good water base conditioner will not affect the top coat application.

I don't have any at the moment as most before and after pics were taken on different days/lighting conditions... Ill try and snap a few pics in the next couple of days.

It depends on the type of airbrush used. I thinned mine 20-30% using distilled water.

The prepping looks good and using a pad instead of sand paper will certainly help keep some of the grain. Why wouldnt you just use a bunch of white rags instead? Be careful using harsh products such as acetone and lacquer thinner. I was advised to stay away from these products as they can damage and dry out the leather. Id recommend using feebing's deglazer as it wont harm or dry out your leather. It's a little more expensive but well worth the investment.

Im not sure how the leather will react... Using leatherique's oil treatment before hand may close up the pores and prevent the paint/dye from setting in ? Let me know how that works out for you.

Cheers,
Oli

Last edited by mtl330ci; 04-17-2011 at 06:43 PM.
mtl330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:42 AM   #22
AlbertW 16

My Ride: 2002 330cic
Looks great. Do you have before pictures for comparison?
Old 04-18-2011, 11:43 PM   #23
jazzyjeff

My Ride: 05 325cic
Holy hell that looks amazing! I'm normally not a fan of two-tone at all but this looks awesome!
Old 04-19-2011, 06:26 AM   #24
phamine

My Ride: 01 Orient Blue 330i
Send a message via AIM to phamine Send a message via Yahoo to phamine
Are you sanding before applying the to coat and conditioner? I notice my gun has some splatter. I am guessing a 1000 grit wet sand would work.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:53 PM   #25
mtl330ci

Quote:
Are you sanding before applying the to coat and conditioner? I notice my gun has some splatter. I am guessing a 1000 grit wet sand would work.
To prevent the gun from splattering you should strain the dye mix in order to remove as much of the dry pigment flakes and crud. I usually lightly buff the final coat using a lint free rag which helps removes any excess dye. You can also lightly sand it using 1000 grit but i felt the rag was a better option.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:48 AM   #26
mtl330ci

Hey guys, so the weather finally cleared up yesterday and i was to finish up the passenger seat and install some black carpeting! Here's a few pics.

Next up is the driver seat if the weather ever clears up... Then it's time to put everything back where it belongs so that i can finally enjoy the summer if we ever get one

Cheers,
Oli
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0918.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	219.1 KB
ID:	401046   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0929.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	207.4 KB
ID:	401047   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0919.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	401048   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0937.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	401049  

Name:	DSC_0932.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	401050   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0949.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	401051   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0962.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	401052   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0956.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	401053  

Name:	DSC_0957.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	193.7 KB
ID:	401054  
Old 04-20-2011, 11:23 AM   #27
douglas_ngo
Europrojektz Southeast

My Ride: Hamann Widebody
WOW. They came out great, look like new. I would love to re-dye my driver side seat but the leather is worn on the side booster and also have some crack on it. I am thinking of doing a two tone setup when I have some time. How do you remove the headrest on the front seats? I will be installing headrest monitors hopefully this weekend. I have taken the headrests off my other cars (coupe and sedan) but have not done it on a convertible. Any tricks or tips? TIA
Old 04-20-2011, 11:48 AM   #28
mtl330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas_ngo View Post
WOW. They came out great, look like new. I would love to re-dye my driver side seat but the leather is worn on the side booster and also have some crack on it. I am thinking of doing a two tone setup when I have some time. How do you remove the headrest on the front seats? I will be installing headrest monitors hopefully this weekend. I have taken the headrests off my other cars (coupe and sedan) but have not done it on a convertible. Any tricks or tips? TIA
Thanks, here's great link for the headrest removal http://www.chitownm.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2070

Just make sure that the headrest is in the middle position or else it won't slide off. Also be careful when removing the two black plastic covers as they can easily break... The good news is that they are inexpensive to replace.

Cheers,
Oli
Old 04-20-2011, 03:58 PM   #29
phamine

Looks good. Not shiny like other diy interiors. You used the flat top coat from zelikovitz?
Old 04-20-2011, 09:11 PM   #30
mtl330ci

Quote:
Looks good. Not shiny like other diy interiors. You used the flat top coat from zelikovitz?
Yup, I used Zelekovitz topcoat flat finish 32oz did the job. It pretty much eliminates any of the unwanted gloss the dye would normally leave behind.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:56 AM   #31
alibusoul

My Ride: TiAg e46 Vert
I wonder if you could use that Zelekovitz top coat flat finish on OEM leather.. because my cinnamon is getting a little too glossy looking
Old 04-21-2011, 04:11 PM   #32
phamine

You might need to prep to get it to adhere. I bought some flat to coat for my project. Thanks again for posting this thread
Old 04-21-2011, 05:38 PM   #33
mtl330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by alibusoul View Post
I wonder if you could use that Zelekovitz top coat flat finish on OEM leather.. because my cinnamon is getting a little too glossy looking
It should work. However, if you are looking to achieve superior results applying a de-glazer before hand is your best bet. The idea is to remove the original topcoat by lightly de-glazing the seats and then apply the Zelikovitz topcoat using an airbrush.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:47 PM   #34
mtl330ci

Quote:
You might need to prep to get it to adhere. I bought some flat to coat for my project. Thanks again for posting this thread
Glad i was able to help. BTW, Zeli's flat topcoat also works wonders on vinyl. If you plan on using duplicolor on any vinyl parts apply the top coat after. It'll slightly flatten the color and add extra protection.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:47 PM   #35
DropTopKingM3
OG ///Member

My Ride: All German
Hey Oli would you mind posting closer pictures of your interior trim? Thanks.

^Don't say my car is topless, say the t!tties is out^
DropTopKingM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:38 PM   #36
Boosted_TiAg
Modded

My Ride: CLS55 AMG
anyone know how much something like this would cost to have professionally done?

OP your seats look awesome btw. job well done sir
Boosted_TiAg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:36 PM   #37
GuitarmanTT

My Ride: 1999, E46 328i
I'm speechless, uh yeah soooo. Wow really? I think you bought new seats and your pulling our chain.J/K They really look that good! What in the world made you decide to take the seats out of your BMW and start dying them an extreme color like Cinnamon ( I really like the color but if you had messed up you would have had tie dye seats ). How scary was the thought process when you realized you were actually going to do it?

I have a question for you, As for condition of the seats. I noticed there is no sign of rubbing on the bluster of the driver seat after the dye application. Every BMW has rubbing on that point so my question is....

Was there any wear on the seat at all before hand?
If the leather is still intact and not ripped or cracked will this cover the rubbing wear issues?
Would you please post an update in a few months with pics so we can see how this dye holds up over time and use?
GuitarmanTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:47 PM   #38
phamine

^^For the rubbing, I think that's why he used a top coat to minimize the car on the color coat.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:48 PM   #39
crazyafghanguy

My Ride: E46 M3
did u take pics on how your seats looked before and after the cleaning?

01 M3
Black/Black 6 Speed
Style 95
Amber All Around
Ac Schnitzer Muffler
ZCP Brake Upgrade
crazyafghanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:49 PM   #40
mtl330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarmanTT View Post
I'm speechless, uh yeah soooo. Wow really? I think you bought new seats and your pulling our chain.J/K They really look that good! What in the world made you decide to take the seats out of your BMW and start dying them an extreme color like Cinnamon ( I really like the color but if you had messed up you would have had tie dye seats ). How scary was the thought process when you realized you were actually going to do it?

I have a question for you, As for condition of the seats. I noticed there is no sign of rubbing on the bluster of the driver seat after the dye application. Every BMW has rubbing on that point so my question is....

Was there any wear on the seat at all before hand?
If the leather is still intact and not ripped or cracked will this cover the rubbing wear issues?
Would you please post an update in a few months with pics so we can see how this dye holds up over time and use?
LOL, thanks ! I actually went to a scrap yard and bought a used e46 seat cover and started testing different techniques and products before attempting anything on my own seats. I still managed to mess up my door panels though and ended up having to fork out an extra 200$ for new ones

The pictures i posted were for the passenger seat so there wasn't too much wear around the bolster. However, if the leather is not ripped or cracked you can lightly sand it before applying the dye and it should come out looking looking pretty close to new. Ill post some before and after pics of the passenger seat once the weather clears up and i can finish up my project.

[QUOTE=GuitarmanTT;13077397]Would you please post an update in a few months with pics so we can see how this dye holds up over time and use?

No problem, will do.