E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2011, 09:37 PM   #21
Ronin13

My Ride: 2005 BMW 325xi
Reedo, I've heard the reason the Military switched to the M9 from the M1911 is because Beretta is an Italian company and the switch allowed us to put more bases in Italy if we gave them the contract for our pistol... is that true? Sounds like Malarky to me. And echo everything you just said, I feel the exact same way. Pieces of garbage that baffles me when I see people actually wanting them. I'll take my Springfield, Glock or SIG over one of those anyday, everyday, and twice on Sunday.
Ronin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:16 AM   #22
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
I've never heard that. It doesn't make a lot sense to me, because the M9 isn't made in Italy. The original test M9s were built in Italy, but all production M9s have been built in the Accokeek, MD facility. I heard the general story about why the M9 won, and it has a lot to do with the rotating barrel design which delays blowback and increases pressure and velocity of the 9mm BALL round (which is simply just 115gr Winchester USA white box). The Beretta M9 was actually neck and neck with the Sig P226 for selection, but Sig could not make the P226 for as cheap as Beretta could make the M9 (M92FS for the commercial version). The M9 actually did exceptionally well in testing, with a mean rounds before failure rate of something like 35,000rds. It also won in the test of accuracy. The problem is that I suspect they tested the M9 with magazines that they never issued. As it's been pointed out in nearly every analysis, the weakest point of the Beretta is the magazine.
Given that all the testing was in the early and mid 80s, it's entirely possible that the M9 was the superior pistol. However, by today's standards, it's an antiquated relic that has not stood the test of time like the M1911.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 03:25 AM   #23
Fisch330ciTopasBlau
Yes...I do think I hate you

My Ride: A car.
A lot can be said for the old adage of KISS, Keep It Simple, Stupid.

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma
-pessimum genus inimicorum laudantes: flatterers are the worst type of enemies
Fisch330ciTopasBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:10 PM   #24
KROMExi

My Ride: 02 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedcrazy1532 View Post
I was just looking at a Springfield used for about $300. I didn't know they have a lifetime warranty. Is it for whomever owns the gun or just the first purchaser?
Springfield stands behind there guns you will not be disapointed and for $300 take it.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:40 PM   #25
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Quote:
I was just looking at a Springfield used for about $300. I didn't know they have a lifetime warranty. Is it for whomever owns the gun or just the first purchaser?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KROMExi View Post
Springfield stands behind there guns you will not be disapointed and for $300 take it.
http://www.springfield-armory.com/as...s/warranty.pdf

Quote:
Springfield, Inc. warrants to the initial retail purchaser that the

products it sells will be free of defects in workmanship or material

during his or her lifetime as long as he or she owns the product

If any failure to conform to this warranty becomes apparent during this period, Springfield shall upon prompt, written, notice and compliance by the customer with such instructions as it shall give with respect to the return of defective products or parts, correct such non-conformity by repair or replacement, F.O.B. factory, of the defective part or parts. Correction in the manner provided above shall constitute a fulfillment of all liabilities of Springfield with respect to the quality of the products.

This warranty shall not cover any damage or condition determined by

Springfield to be caused by carelessness, negligence, misuse, normal wear and tear, or failure to properly maintain the product or unauthorized repairs or modifications.
That's the official word, what you can work out in real life may differ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:16 PM   #26
TXSunDvl

My Ride: 2001 325Ci
I have quite a variety. My first handgun was a Beretta Cougar 9mm. It's a very nice gun, and very accurate, but it's heavey, being all steel. I also own a Para pxt 1911. I like it, but it's a PITA to clean - I can't imagine havine to clean it in the field. Lastly I have a Glock 19, my favorite, and a S&W 642. I normally carry my Glock, but if I'm in light clothing, I carry the 642 in Mika pocket holster.
TXSunDvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:47 PM   #27
Reedo302

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post

That's the official word, what you can work out in real life may differ
Springfield has gained a reputation for taking care of their customers. If you have a reasonable problem with your gun, they'll fix it. The thing to remember is that the 1911 has numerous parts that have a service life, with most of them being springs. You have to do the maintenance on a proper schedule with your recoil spring, firing pin spring, and then the mainspring. In that order it's shortest to longest service life. They won't cover those service intervals, which I don't blame them for. I burned out the recoil spring in my Kimber within the first 4 months I owned it.

Glock Armorer

Old 04-19-2011, 09:06 AM   #28
speedcrazy1532

My Ride: is over
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
I've never heard that. It doesn't make a lot sense to me, because the M9 isn't made in Italy. The original test M9s were built in Italy, but all production M9s have been built in the Accokeek, MD facility. I heard the general story about why the M9 won, and it has a lot to do with the rotating barrel design which delays blowback and increases pressure and velocity of the 9mm BALL round (which is simply just 115gr Winchester USA white box). The Beretta M9 was actually neck and neck with the Sig P226 for selection, but Sig could not make the P226 for as cheap as Beretta could make the M9 (M92FS for the commercial version). The M9 actually did exceptionally well in testing, with a mean rounds before failure rate of something like 35,000rds. It also won in the test of accuracy. The problem is that I suspect they tested the M9 with magazines that they never issued. As it's been pointed out in nearly every analysis, the weakest point of the Beretta is the magazine.
Given that all the testing was in the early and mid 80s, it's entirely possible that the M9 was the superior pistol. However, by today's standards, it's an antiquated relic that has not stood the test of time like the M1911.
I was really thinking about buying one actually. The 92A1 seems like an awesome package. I shot a friends 92fs this past weekend and aside from an exceptionally long double action trigger pull it was a real tack driver at 20yds.

http://www.berettausa.com/products/model-92a1/

Quote:
Originally Posted by KROMExi View Post
I'm pretty sure is was an old stainless steel mil-spec judging from the website. I really hate to purchase one only for the reason that 9mm is so much cheaper and has performance that comes pretty close to a .45 when all things are considered.

-Phil
speedcrazy1532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:05 PM   #29
Reedo302

Quote:
I was really thinking about buying one actually. The 92A1 seems like an awesome package. I shot a friends 92fs this past weekend and aside from an exceptionally long double action trigger pull it was a real tack driver at 20yds.

http://www.berettausa.com/products/model-92a1/
They're decent enough guns. I just don't believe they're a good military issue gun.

Glock Armorer

Old 04-19-2011, 01:23 PM   #30
speedcrazy1532

Quote:
They're decent enough guns. I just don't believe they're a good military issue gun.
I don't see that whole "top back" design working out so well in sandy conditions. I know what you mean.

-Phil
Old 04-19-2011, 05:04 PM   #31
Reedo302

Quote:
I don't see that whole "top back" design working out so well in sandy conditions. I know what you mean.
I had LOTS of issues with my M9. Like I said, the problems are mostly with the magazines. The one sort of weird advantage of the M9 being so damn heavy is that there's so much mass moving on that slide that small bits of sand and crud won't stop it. What stopped it were the stovepipes caused by the POS mags.

Glock Armorer

Old 04-19-2011, 09:24 PM   #32
Rush4theYehO

My Ride: XI fts(now)
Checkmate made the M9 mags, and they were shit. However, checkmate makes awesome 1911 mags.
Rush4theYehO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:53 PM   #33
speedcrazy1532

Quote:
I had LOTS of issues with my M9. Like I said, the problems are mostly with the magazines. The one sort of weird advantage of the M9 being so damn heavy is that there's so much mass moving on that slide that small bits of sand and crud won't stop it. What stopped it were the stovepipes caused by the POS mags.
Interesting. I do like how the gun seems very balanced in my hand, mostly because of the heavy construction I assume. I know you said you have small hands so that probably means tons of problems for you. The grip is massive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush4theYehO View Post
Checkmate made the M9 mags, and they were shit. However, checkmate makes awesome 1911 mags.
I've actually read that same thing. The beretta factory mags aren't even the greatest. I've actually read on almost countless websites the Mec_Gar's 18rd mag is the favorite now. Mec-Gar. WTF.

-Phil
Old 05-08-2011, 02:34 AM   #34
tailo

My Ride: 02 330I
I make a living out of 1911's, I sell restoration/take off parts if anybody needs anything.

This is my last "build" its a 1944 Remington Rand that was a mint/matching pistol. It was in a flood 2 years ago and "lost" for a few days. When they found it they had to repark it to cover the rust. I replaced the slide with a better type 3 RR slide, added a 193 barrel, a 718 NM bushing, a WW1 flat MSH and a WW1 trigger. I use flat main spring housings and long milled triggers in all of my builds, it just fits my hand better.

tailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:15 AM   #35
Reedo302

So is it basically a M1911/M1911A1 hybrid? That's a damn nice pistol.

Glock Armorer

Old 05-08-2011, 05:42 AM   #36
Fisch330ciTopasBlau

Sweet

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma
Old 05-08-2011, 11:06 AM   #37
tailo

kinda/sorta, but theres a practical reasion behind the pistol looking like a hybrid.

If you notice alot of the higher grade mach 1911s are going back to flat main spring housings and long triggers, they just shoot better.

The arched msh was added to raise the POI when drawing and firing off the hip. Early 1911's will shoot low when not using the sights, the extra meat in the back raises the muzzle to the right level. They basically make it a better "oh shit" fast draw gun but it will effect the POI when shooting using modern techniques like the wilson grip, with adjustable sights its kinda a moot point but with fixed sights you have to train around it.

You hardly ever see a match gun with a arched msh.

USGI meusoc

Old 05-08-2011, 11:12 AM   #38
Rush4theYehO

My Ride: XI fts(now)
You guys prefer 1911's with or without rails on them? I'm looking to pick up a Springfield TRP.
Rush4theYehO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:15 AM   #39
tailo

Without for sure.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:52 PM   #40
Fisch330ciTopasBlau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush4theYehO View Post
You guys prefer 1911's with or without rails on them? I'm looking to pick up a Springfield TRP.
I thought about getting the TRP with one for a little bit but decided when I pull the trigger (so to speak) to get it without.
If I did get one with a rail, I might want an arched MSH to help balance the feel of the gun with the extra weight...but first I'd have to try it out of course.

All my 1911's have a flat MSH, I haven't had one with an arched MSH yet.

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma

Last edited by Fisch330ciTopasBlau; 05-08-2011 at 01:16 PM.