E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2011, 02:43 PM   #41
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush4theYehO View Post
You guys prefer 1911's with or without rails on them? I'm looking to pick up a Springfield TRP.
I prefer WITH, but your POU will dictate whether it's necessary or not. If it's a range gun or a competition or target gun, then get it without. If you want to CCW the gun, you basically HAVE to get it without a rail.
However, if the gun is going to be a combat/combat training pistol, duty pistol, or home defense pistol, I would recommend having a rail. There are few holsters out there that can accommodate the railed 1911, but all that really matters is that Safariland does offer several ALS and SLS holsters that will work. You can also get custom kydex holster to work with them as well.

Ultimately, it's up to the end user. It's a much more subjective option, and in most cases I don't think it's necessary for the average use. For me, it's a necessity. It was one of the reasons I dumped my Kimber (among a laundry list of others).

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:06 AM   #42
carcus

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5
Kimber 1911 is the weapon you show your friends....the Glock 21 is the one you show your enemies...............
Old 05-09-2011, 07:52 AM   #43
Fisch330ciTopasBlau
Yes...I do think I hate you

My Ride: A car.
Are 1911 magazines standardized? Wilson Combat, Chip McCormick fit in any full-size 1911? I've usually gone with OEM magazines for my 1911's but would like to try someone else as the OEM ones are too pricey and not as high a quality I imagine.

Looking at getting some 8rd CM Power Mags for my SA 1911-A1 Loaded.

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma
-pessimum genus inimicorum laudantes: flatterers are the worst type of enemies

Last edited by Fisch330ciTopasBlau; 05-09-2011 at 07:55 AM.
Fisch330ciTopasBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:20 AM   #44
Reedo302

1911 mags are a universal fit (for single stack mags). It's always a good idea to make sure your magazines will work in your gun, but if you buy a quality magazine like those from Wilson Combat, you'll have zero problems. Wilson Combat magazines are by far the best, IMO. When I sold my Kimber, I kept my Wilson Combat mags in case I got another 1911. That's how much I like them.

Glock Armorer

Old 05-09-2011, 08:25 AM   #45
Fisch330ciTopasBlau

have you tried 10rd single stacks? I don't know if having the magazine/basepad hanging out that far would feel funny that's why I'm thinking the 8rd size.

Which Wilson model/s did you go with? The Service ones (flush/no basepad) are the cheapest at $20 each for 8rds. Better to step up to the Full-Size model 8rd (standard basepad) model where it's $33 each?
Basepads=Standard, ETM, Lo-Profile=different prices
I'll probably grab 3-5 of them depending on the price.

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma

Last edited by Fisch330ciTopasBlau; 05-09-2011 at 08:36 AM.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:56 AM   #46
Reedo302

I used the 8rd Fullsize with extended base pads (model 47DE), and they worked phenomenally. They make a 7rd, but why get that one when you can get 8rds in the same size?
http://www.brownells.com/1/1/28672-1...on-combat.html

I did get a 10rd "Bureaucrat" Fullsize, and it did stick out a bit on the bottom. For a primary carry magazine, it's not ideal. It's more of a competition and training magazine, but in real world application it would make a good mag for home defense.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...ROUND_MAGAZINE

I would suggest picking up the new Elite Tactical Mags (ETMs). They're supposed to be the pinnacle of reliability for 1911 feeding.

Glock Armorer

Old 05-09-2011, 09:20 PM   #47
Fisch330ciTopasBlau

Wilson Combat #47D's seem to be the shit, going to grab a bunch.
Now I need to find something for my Kimber Ultra Carry II

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma
Old 05-10-2011, 12:16 PM   #48
Rush4theYehO

My Ride: XI fts(now)
Wilson mags tend to work great - however I've had issues with them in Springfields. For some reason, mag springs don't/didn't provide enough force to lock the slide back. Could be older mags too. Worked fine in my other 1911

Check out Tripp cobramags. I tried some of those, and they work phenomenally.
Rush4theYehO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:27 AM   #49
tailo

My Ride: 02 330I
Rush, try a lighter recoil sprig

SA's run a bit on the heavy side, 95% of your time it wont be your mag spring on one (if your using a quality mag) I doubt its because of old mags, Ive got WC mags that have been loaded for YEARS and they still work fine.

Heck, Ive got a risdon mag that my grand father brought back from korea. It's been loaded since 1953 on his bedside table, the only time its empty is between reloads at the range. When he gave it to me it was loaded with 40's surplus military ammo that he brought back from korea. I still use that mag today, no problems at all.

The absulute best mags are WWII USGI mags, I'll carry wilsons in match type 1911's but everything else including series 70's-80's colts get a USGI mag. My favorite are the general shaver mags. The later USGI mags are all pretty much crap, there are some OK drawing numbers like any IM291 but most are pretty shoddy.
tailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:40 PM   #50
Fisch330ciTopasBlau

Ordered a couple WC #47D's and a couple Chip McCormick Power Mags, both 8 rounders. Can't wait to go test them out.
Also contemplating adding a WC Mag Well to my Springfield.

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma
Old 06-06-2011, 09:24 PM   #51
xdmikey

My Ride: e46 cabrio
nice piece tailo! that looks like my uncle's USP bringback from Pearl!

i have an operator w/full rail and am looking at adding a trp w/full rail. the balance is awesome.

i've always had good luck w/mecgars(first w/sig then 1911s) 8 rounders; never sprung for the WCs 'cause i heard they don't play well w/springers.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:52 PM   #52
Fisch330ciTopasBlau

Ordered 4 more Chip McCormick magazines, this time their Match Grade 1911 .45 7rd w/o base pad for my compact Kimber.

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma
Old 06-15-2011, 07:09 PM   #53
Wraisil

My Ride: 2010 Infiniti G37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
I've never heard that. It doesn't make a lot sense to me, because the M9 isn't made in Italy. The original test M9s were built in Italy, but all production M9s have been built in the Accokeek, MD facility. I heard the general story about why the M9 won, and it has a lot to do with the rotating barrel design which delays blowback and increases pressure and velocity of the 9mm BALL round (which is simply just 115gr Winchester USA white box). The Beretta M9 was actually neck and neck with the Sig P226 for selection, but Sig could not make the P226 for as cheap as Beretta could make the M9 (M92FS for the commercial version). The M9 actually did exceptionally well in testing, with a mean rounds before failure rate of something like 35,000rds. It also won in the test of accuracy. The problem is that I suspect they tested the M9 with magazines that they never issued. As it's been pointed out in nearly every analysis, the weakest point of the Beretta is the magazine.
Given that all the testing was in the early and mid 80s, it's entirely possible that the M9 was the superior pistol. However, by today's standards, it's an antiquated relic that has not stood the test of time like the M1911.
The M9 replaced the 1911 in the mid 80's, was retested in the late 80's and is slated for possible replacement in the near future.

That said, while I have the utmost respect for you when it comes to firearms, it does not have a rotating barrel as such a thing is defined today. The Beretta PX4 has a rotating barrel, the M9 doesn't. The M9 has the same set-up as a PX4 sub-compact, which does not have the rotating barrel associated with the PX4 full size.

Source: me, 12 years shooting the M9, 2.5 years owning/shooting a PX4 full size and a PX4 sub-compact.
Wraisil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:21 PM   #54
Wraisil

M9/M92 barrel

PX4 (full size) Rotating barrel
Old 06-15-2011, 08:46 PM   #55
Reedo302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraisil View Post
The M9 replaced the 1911 in the mid 80's, was retested in the late 80's and is slated for possible replacement in the near future.

That said, while I have the utmost respect for you when it comes to firearms, it does not have a rotating barrel as such a thing is defined today. The Beretta PX4 has a rotating barrel, the M9 doesn't. The M9 has the same set-up as a PX4 sub-compact, which does not have the rotating barrel associated with the PX4 full size.

Source: me, 12 years shooting the M9, 2.5 years owning/shooting a PX4 full size and a PX4 sub-compact.
Alright, I'll eat crow on this one. I spent so much time selling firearms that I got the PX4 and the M92FS mixed up. It's been 5 years since I've put my hands on a Beretta handgun.
(although, for the record, I'm sure it'll be a lot longer before I do again).

Unless I was thinking of barrel tilt from the lockup with the lugs in the slide rails...
Honest mistake.

Glock Armorer

Last edited by Reedo302; 06-15-2011 at 08:47 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:56 AM   #56
Wraisil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
Alright, I'll eat crow on this one. I spent so much time selling firearms that I got the PX4 and the M92FS mixed up. It's been 5 years since I've put my hands on a Beretta handgun.
(although, for the record, I'm sure it'll be a lot longer before I do again).

Unless I was thinking of barrel tilt from the lockup with the lugs in the slide rails...
Honest mistake.
It happens. The barrel does have a tilt on the M9/92series as well as the PX4 sub-compact. I'm actually looking to pick up a 1911 sometime in the next 6 months or so and that's what brought me into the thread, though I'm hesitant to buy a high $ 1911 in case I don't care for it (I'm used to and comfortable with the berettas so not sure exactly if I'll like a 1911) but don't want to not like the platform simply because I got a "cheap" one.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:07 AM   #57
Reedo302

I would consider looking into two Springfield Armory models that might be right up your alley. If the gun is for the range only, then look into the Springfield Armory Range Officer. The RO is new for 2011, and it's supposed to be an exceptional gun. Looking around online, one can buy it for as little as $769.
http://springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=154
http://www.springfield-armory.com/19...ngeOfficer.htm

The other option would be Springfield's Loaded 1911. There are multiple configurations, and it's a step up from the Range Officer, And it is something that works well at the range or for defense use. The full size models are running for around $1000 retail online.
http://springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=21

Or, you could go down to a more basic 1911 setup. The Springfield Mil-Spec .45 is a very basic system that resembles the 1911-A1 issued pistols from the military. It has all of the reliability enhancements that the standard GI .45 doesn't. They start out at $629 online, and they're $100 for stainless. It's a good system to get a basic 1911, but then you have to make a decision on whether you want to keep the gun that way for nostagia purposes, or if you eventually want to upgrade it.
http://springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=2

One other direction to go is to go with Smith&Wesson's SW1911 series. I would push for the "E Series" (E=Enhanced), but any are supposed to be well-built. They're priced online starting at $775 and up. S&W SW1911s are supposed to be very high quality and I've been reading a lot of high praise for them.
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...2_757751_image

The great thing about 1911s is that they're very popular, and they always will be. If you don't like the gun, you can sell it for very little loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Vickers from Vickerstactical.com FAQs
7. How do I know if a 1911 is the right choice for me?
That is a tough question as I feel most people are best served NOT using a 1911 as a primary sidearm. Two criteria come to mind a) A passion for the 1911 platform and b) you are willing to be your own armorer and can fix relatively minor problems or fit certain parts yourself. If you are the kind of guy that doesn’t mind tinkering with your Harley Davidson motorcycle to keep it running then you are a candidate. If however you treat your pistols like we all treat our lawnmowers then don’t get a 1911 – use a Glock.

Glock Armorer

Last edited by Reedo302; 06-16-2011 at 11:09 AM.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:00 PM   #58
Rush4theYehO

My Ride: XI fts(now)
^^No external extractors!
Rush4theYehO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:33 PM   #59
Reedo302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush4theYehO View Post
^^No external extractors!
Yeah, I'm not a fan of external 1911 extractors after my issues with Kimber, but the SW1911 is supposed to be a wholly different concept and a cut above all other 1911 external extractor attempts.
I'm not saying I'm going to go out and buy one...I'm just saying I've heard good things.

For the record, my next 1911 is either a Wilson Combat CQB Tactical LE, Wilson Combat CQB Light-Rail Lightweight Professional or a Nighthawk Custom Enforcer Recon.

Glock Armorer

Old 06-17-2011, 01:35 AM   #60
Fisch330ciTopasBlau

Wilson and Nighthawk....sooooo nice but soooo expensive!

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma