E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2011, 12:54 AM   #1
Rush4theYehO

My Ride: XI fts(now)
Goin bird hunting...help me pick a new toy

Like the title suggests, I'm goin dove hunting in August when season opens up. This gives me a whole reason to buy a new shotgun. I'm thinking a semi-auto, 12 gauge. Might be a little overkill....but I can live with that. Any recommendations? I'm thinking either a benelli m2 field or a remington 11-87.

Thanks ahead of time.
Rush4theYehO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:41 AM   #2
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
If you're looking at a Remington, skip the 11-87. They're crude, generally of rough construction, and I've seen several take a dump. I have yet to take apart my little brother's 11-87 without cutting myself. No joke. The 1100 is much more refined, but it's still heavy, and it only shoots 2 3/4" shells. The new Versa Max is supposed to be the cat's ass of Remington's shotgun line with it's self-regulating gas system. Remington autos have been overall decent, but there's always been better options out there. I think the Versa Max shows Remington taking a step in the right direction.
The Winchester SX3 has gotten lots of accolades for its speed, but it's still a heavy gun since it's still based on the same platform as the Browning Gold and Silver hunters.
If I were going to get a gas gun, it'd be Beretta without question. I have two cousins with AL391s (my family is huge into bird hunting). One is a Teknys, which is the one I've shot. It's a well-built gun with excellent ergos and controls, handles and swings well, and the construction is top-notch. Further proof that all good autoloading and double-barrel shotguns are of Italian design. I am not a gas gun guy, but if I were, I'd be considering the new Beretta A400. It's supposed to have a lot of new innovations that will make the AL391 obsolete, despite the AL391 being an exceptional gun.

But when it comes down to it, I will always fall back on my Benellis. Benelli is knock-down-drag-out reliable. I own two, with another two coming sometime in the near future. My dad owns one, my uncle owns one, and my brother is going to be trading in his 11-87 for one. They're smooth as glass to shoot, very comfortable, and the options with the ComforTech stock have less recoil than any gas gun. It's upwards of 45% recoil reduction. The inertia recoil system is basically more reliable than an AK47. My uncle went 4 years of pheasant, waterfowl, turkey and deer hunting with his Benelli Montefeltro 12ga without ever cleaning. He comes up to me one day halfway through a week-long South Dakota pheasant slaying trip and tells me his gun is running slow for some reason. It still runs, and is cycling every load and has never malfunctioned. I open the bolt and grinds back, and the inside is just full of dirt, corn stalk, grass and sludge. It was absolutely nasty in there. 4 years, thousands of rounds. Still ran. Zero malfunctions. Zero damage. I stripped the bolt and cleaned it and the inside of the gun in less than 5 minutes, lubed it lightly and put it back together. Smooth as glass. I think I went over a year without cleaning my Super Black Eagle, and it still ran like a top.
If cost isn't as much of a concern, look into the Montefeltro Silver, Sport II or Legacy for a nicer gun. If you plan on shooting A LOT of ammo (common with dove hunting), stick with a gun that has the ComforTech stock, like the Cordoba, Super Sport or M2. Or look into the new Vinci. That thing is pretty sweet.
If you can't tell, I'm a Benelli whore.

I would recommend staying with 12ga. You can always use lighter game loads or trap loads for doves. It's my understanding that nearly all of that insane dove hunting in Argentina is done with 12ga. 20ga works well, and is a good alternative. 28ga is a blast to shoot and also good for dove shooting, but ammo is harder to find and more expensive.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 03:04 AM   #3
Rush4theYehO

Thanks Reedo - I'm leaning heavily towards the Benelli. I know benellis are nice, and nice things don't come cheap. After reading up a little more on the comfortech stock, I've decided that is a must have on my purchase. With a budget of $1000-1250, what would you recommendation be? Cost will always be an issue, but quality is a requirement.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:13 PM   #4
Reedo302

I would really push you to the Vinci. It's a seriously good system, and it's based on Benelli's outstanding inertia-driven system. The recoil reduction of up to 72% is just amazing. It's only about a year old, so it's still very unique.
They go for around $1299 for black synthetic, and $1399 for camo-coated (which is more weather-resistant if you do a lot of hunting in inclement weather).

Otherwise, the M2 is a fantastic option as well. My brothers and I bought my dad an M2 with Max4 camo for father's day a couple years ago to replace his 25yr old Wingmaster. He loves it. I've shot it a lot too, and that ComforTech stock is fantastic (especially with mag loads).
They're around $1199 for black synthetic and $1299 for camo-coated.

Being a Benelli owner is sort of a tight-knit club. Everyone who owns one loves it to death. I have never met someone who has owned a Benelli and did not like it. You have to pay to play, but the money is very well spent. You get amazing quality. I mean, they look good and feel good, but once you shoot one, you "just know".
The one thing to remember about Benelli is that they're inertia-driven, and you have to break them in. They require a minimum load of 1 1/8oz, 3dram to cycle for normal loads. You want to start out shooting heavier than that for about the first case of ammo (250rds). Some people will shoot a couple boxes right away of magnum goose or turkey loads, and then keep shooting medium to heavy loads for a bit. Once the gun is initially broken-in, you can shoot that minimum weight. Once you REALLY break in the gun, like my 10yr old Super Black Eagle, you can easily cycle stuff a little lighter than the minimum. I can cycle 1oz loads.

Glock Armorer

Last edited by Reedo302; 04-09-2011 at 11:20 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:36 PM   #5
Rush4theYehO

I think I'm gonna go with the Montefeltro, or M2. I got a chance to finger a few of these benelli's at a Gander Mountain today. While the Vinci's features are phenomenal, it just didn't feel right hwen I was holding it compared to the others. One of my best friends who hunts a fair amount also raves about his Montefeltro. I think in terms of price vs quality, it's gonna be a good fit here. As much as I want to drop over $1200 on a shotgun, I don't know if it's going to be very wise of me to do so. I asked him about recoil on his montefeltro and he says that its really negligible too, and that the comfortech must really make the gun have zero recoil.

Last edited by Rush4theYehO; 04-10-2011 at 07:23 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:08 PM   #6
EndlessAP1

My Ride: e92 M3, e70 X5, TL
Benelli M4 or SPAS 12.....LOL

Just kidding. I would go with an M2 probably.
EndlessAP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:59 PM   #7
Fisch330ciTopasBlau
Yes...I do think I hate you

My Ride: A car.
How about of of the sister companies to Benelli like Franchi or Stoeger, they're a little cheaper?
The Franchi I-12 has the Original Inertia Driven System, not the new Inline IDS that the Vinci has.
http://www.franchiusa.com/firearms/i-12_waterfowl.php

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma
-pessimum genus inimicorum laudantes: flatterers are the worst type of enemies
Fisch330ciTopasBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:20 PM   #8
Reedo302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisch330ciTopasBlau View Post
How about of of the sister companies to Benelli like Franchi or Stoeger, they're a little cheaper?
The Franchi I-12 has the Original Inertia Driven System, not the new Inline IDS that the Vinci has.
http://www.franchiusa.com/firearms/i-12_waterfowl.php
Franchi (sporting guns) and Stoeger don't have as good of build quality as Benelli. Benelli is the best, then Franchi, then Stoeger is at the bottom. There is an appreciable difference between Benelli and Stoeger, and if you cheap out, you will notice a difference. Benelli vs Stoeger is like Lexus vs Toyota.
Then there's Franchi- Franchi is decent but not "great" like Benelli. You notice some lack of refinement in certain areas of the construction, but it's not a pile of junk either. It's just obvious that Benelli is the king.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush4theYehO View Post
I think I'm gonna go with the Montefeltro, or M2. I got a chance to finger a few of these benelli's at a Gander Mountain today. While the Vinci's features are phenomenal, it just didn't feel right hwen I was holding it compared to the others. One of my best friends who hunts a fair amount also raves about his Montefeltro. I think in terms of price vs quality, it's gonna be a good fit here. As much as I want to drop over $1200 on a shotgun, I don't know if it's going to be very wise of me to do so. I asked him about recoil on his montefeltro and he says that its really negligible too, and that the comfortech must really make the gun have zero recoil.
Montefeltros are nice. I like them a lot too. The rib is too low for my eye, and I need the raised vent rib of the M2, SBE2, SuperSport, etc. If the height of the rib on the Monte feels good, get that thing. It's a phenomenal upland gun.

Glock Armorer

Last edited by Reedo302; 04-11-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:24 PM   #9
pphil09

My Ride: Imola Red ZHP
16 gauge
Old 04-12-2011, 01:32 AM   #10
Reedo302

Quote:
Originally Posted by pphil09 View Post
16 gauge

Glock Armorer

Old 04-12-2011, 02:13 AM   #11
Rush4theYehO

Reedo - would you happen to know pricing? I'm looking online and seeing things in the 1100-1275 price range. Typical? It's gonna be a happy bday gift for myself
Old 04-12-2011, 03:08 AM   #12
Reedo302

That sounds about right for pricing.

Glock Armorer

Old 04-12-2011, 03:20 AM   #13
pphil09

My Ride: Imola Red ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
Hey I can afford to take it out clay pigeon shooting. Once a year.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:42 PM   #14
learthworml
mod-er-at-or-er

My Ride: 2011 Tundra Crewmax
12 ga for sure. I've never used a 20 for hunting, but my friends gf does

SQ sound system
Seas Nextel Mids, Focal Utopia Mids, Focal BE tweeters, JL Audio 13tw5, Alpine PDX-4.150, Alpine PDX-1.600, Audison Bit One processor, Pioneer z150 hu
learthworml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:47 PM   #15
Rush4theYehO

Really don't wanna pay that much for a shotgun. However, it's gonna be worth it over something like an 1187 (or so I keep telling myself)
Old 04-12-2011, 11:57 PM   #16
EURpower

My Ride: 330ci
You find it 'cool' to shoot down harmless birds? I hope they sh!t all over your belongings you sick bastard
EURpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:15 AM   #17
Reedo302

Quote:
Originally Posted by EURpower View Post
You find it 'cool' to shoot down harmless birds? I hope they sh!t all over your belongings you sick bastard
It's not 'cool', it's "cool". And by "cool", I mean COOL. Not just cool or Cool, but COOL.
Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go execute a hutch full of bunnies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush4theYehO View Post

Really don't wanna pay that much for a shotgun. However, it's gonna be worth it over something like an 1187 (or so I keep telling myself)
Trust me, it's worth it. I wouldn't own two and be looking to buy two more if I didn't believe that they weren't the best. In the 10 years and thousands and thousands of rounds I've shot (and dozens and dozens of birds for those thousands of rounds ), I have never had a malfunction.

Glock Armorer

Last edited by Reedo302; 04-13-2011 at 12:34 AM.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:13 AM   #18
Rush4theYehO

Quote:
Originally Posted by EURpower View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post

Trust me, it's worth it. I wouldn't own two and be looking to buy two more if I didn't believe that they weren't the best. In the 10 years and thousands and thousands of rounds I've shot (and dozens and dozens of birds for those thousands of rounds ), I have never had a malfunction.
Buy once, cry once! I'll be headed to cabela's this wknd. Roadtrip because my friend insists on it. I know where to buy all the "tacticool" guns, but no idea where to get hunting guns.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:25 PM   #19
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
I have a beneli m3 that I picked up cheap last year and love it. I think im going to take it trap shooting for fun soon haha. Almost want to trade it for an ar15 just cause I have always wanted one and don't have the extra cash right now
Adam@Euro-Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:21 PM   #20
Fisch330ciTopasBlau
Yes...I do think I hate you

My Ride: A car.
That hybrid pump/semi-auto setup for the M3 is intriguing but I don't know much about it. Being a Benelli I'm sure it's good but that kind of set-up seems a bit wonky to me.
I'm grabbing a Remington 870 soon but will get another Benelli eventually to complement my M1014.

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma
-pessimum genus inimicorum laudantes: flatterers are the worst type of enemies
Fisch330ciTopasBlau is offline   Reply With Quote