E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-01-2010, 08:28 AM   #1
EZMac

My Ride: 1999 323i
ASC/DSC connection in new switch consol - Help needed

I just recently purchased a set of heated/powered seats which came with the switch console (the integrated solid bar with buttons). I also received the plugs and pigtails for the seats, the 23 pin console connector and the DSC connector. I am planning on using Ivegotissues666 excellent DIY for the installation of the seats but I have one question regarding the DSC connector and I'm hoping someone here can help me. I have seen a few topics that seam to be kind of related but I haven't found my exact issue.

My car has ASC and my old switch console is the kind with the individual buttons and the only button I have is for the ASC (S6).

The connector is the 6 pin square blue connector. Only 5 of the wires are used and the pin assignments (thanks to bmw-planet.com) are as follows:

Pin/Type/Description-Signal Type/Connection-Measuring Notes
1/_ /Not Used
2/E/Signal Locator lighting/Connector, instrument and locator lighting
3/A/Voltage supply Terminal 15/ABS/ASC Unit
4/M/Ground/Ground Connector
5/A/ASC passive button/ABS/ASC unit
6/E/Terminal 15/Fuse F33

The new console has the modular 23 pin plug and flat 3 pin connection for the DSC. The actual plug connector has 4 wires. The pin assignments for the DSC per BMW-Planet.com is:

Pin/Type/Description-Signal Type/Connection-Measuring Notes
1/E/Voltage supply Terminal 15/Fuse 33
2/A/Signal, ASC/DSC passive/ABS/DSC unit
3/E/Terminal 58g/Light switching centre control unit
4/A/Ground/Ground point

I would like to use the new switch console but the obvious difference is in the ASC/DSC switch/connection. I would like to know if it is possible to use the wiring going to my current 6 pin connector (5 wires) to feed the new 4 wire connector and use the DSC button on the new console for my ASC.

I can handle most mods but I am a little weak when it come to wiring so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Sharked, ECIS Intake, Eagle Eyes Smoked LED Tails, Depo Smoked Turn Signals and Side Markers, Matte Black Grill, Debadged, M3 Trunk Lip Spoiler, M3 18" Wheels, Carbon Fiber Roundels, V1 Hardwired, DICE iPod Kit with spec.dock, FormulaOne Tint 35%, piano black interior trim, Hagus M style mirrors, MTechII Front Bumper, Hamann Rear Bumper Add-On, Heated/Power Seats retrofit.

Last edited by EZMac; 09-01-2010 at 09:54 AM.
EZMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:25 PM   #2
Arty

My Ride: 1999 328i
If you look at the connections, 4 wires are the same on both, 1 is unused and the other appears to be lighting. Check the wds to see if the lighting for the newer switch console is provided by the larger connector.

Also note you will need a new console, the individual buttons are 18mm high, switch console only 16mm high.
Arty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:49 PM   #3
EZMac

Thanks Arty. My plan was to use the plug and four wires that goes to my new switch console by splicing the correct wires (if possible) from my old 6pin (blue) plug that went to my old switch console.
Sharked, ECIS Intake, Eagle Eyes Smoked LED Tails, Depo Smoked Turn Signals and Side Markers, Matte Black Grill, Debadged, M3 Trunk Lip Spoiler, M3 18" Wheels, Carbon Fiber Roundels, V1 Hardwired, DICE iPod Kit with spec.dock, FormulaOne Tint 35%, piano black interior trim, Hagus M style mirrors, MTechII Front Bumper, Hamann Rear Bumper Add-On, Heated/Power Seats retrofit.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:39 PM   #4
Arty

My Ride: 1999 328i
It is my opinion that the large multiway connector has a part to play in powering and illuminating the switch console. It also offer k bus diagnostic support. Splicing may not be necessary, the connectors can be dissembled and it may be possible the clips slide into the new connector shell.
Arty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:00 PM   #5
EZMac

Here's an update in case anyone is interested. I did my power/heated seats retrofit this weekend and am very happy. I originally guessed at what 4 wires from the original 5 on my ASC connector were needed on my new DSC switch connector. I first eliminated the wire to pin 3 from the old connector and connected the rest of the wires to the new connector (color for color). The heated seats worked but the ASC and ABS lights stayed lit on the instrument panel. I then tried eliminating the wire to pin 6 on the old connector with the same results. I then decided to just re-connect the old ASC switch and hide it behind the console since I never use the ASC. The ASC worked fine but the heated seats did not work. Connecting both the wires for pin 3 and pin 6 from the old connector to the same color wire going to pin 1 on the new DSC connector and connecting the remaining wires color for color was the answer. My ASC works perfectly using the new DSC switch and so do the heated seat switches.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:19 PM   #6
Ren13071980

My Ride: E46 n42 facelift
I have some problem where i can find a 23 pole socket and 3 pole socket for new switch center console? Please help me if you have a part number please provide to me
Ren13071980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:54 AM   #7
325xittt

My Ride: 2003, 325 XIT
This link has a very detailed and photo documented wiring for the center console

http://www.m3torque.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1111
Old 06-07-2012, 06:39 AM   #8
Ren13071980

My Ride: E46 n42 facelift
I has read all friend very thank's but i not find what i need. Because their car comes with switch center console with heating seat. I just want install new center console
Ren13071980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:49 PM   #9
antonio325

My Ride: BMW 325CI
My heated seats and dsc don't work

Hi ,

I have an 04 325ci I am having trouble with my heated seats and traction control I replace the same exact DSC switch consol but it still doesn't work so I can't use the seat heater or dsc switch any ideas?
antonio325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 02:20 PM   #10
HennessyVSOP

My Ride: E46 320ci
I would also like to know, what is the part number for the plugs, as I have the same issue as the OP, except the fact, that i do not have plugs for the console.

Large 23pin I found - it is 61138380728 + housing 61138380732, but the small one I can not find. Anyone who could have a look on the plug and tell us the part no.?
HennessyVSOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 03:08 AM   #11
HennessyVSOP

My Ride: E46 320ci
Ok everything installed and I have the very same issue. 6pin ASC button to heated seats DSC control centre with 3 pin.
Control frame is connected to fuses 42 and 12, both working. 4pin (actually 3pin) connected to groung, ASC unit and backlightt.
Heating of seats is working, backlight working, all fuses ok, but ASC+ABS light, speedo and everything based on speed is off (odometer, mpg etc.).

2 green/blue/yellow wires are not connected anywhere: 12v from fuse 33 (should be in pin 1 of X521 connector, but there is no thorn in connector to connect) and second is from ASC unit. This I suppose is resulting in the failure of the ASC unit.

What to do now?

EZMac had the same situation but I do not understand how did he solve this?
HennessyVSOP is offline   Reply With Quote