E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2016, 08:52 AM   #1
bigpapa1010

My Ride: M3
Bravsound speakers

Bravsound stage 1 and ghost sub for my e46 M 3 convertable. I have to let everyone know that these speakers are no joke! I purchased stage 1 and a ghost sub, wow! What a change in sound and clarity,in a vert!!! All of my co-workers are amazed and also some have purchased these speakers.
bigpapa1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:29 AM   #2
allikanbe

My Ride: 2006 330Ci Convertib
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpapa1010 View Post
Bravsound stage 1 and ghost sub for my e46 M 3 convertable. I have to let everyone know that these speakers are no joke! I purchased stage 1 and a ghost sub, wow! What a change in sound and clarity,in a vert!!! All of my co-workers are amazed and also some have purchased these speakers.
OEM HK head unit or did you replace it?
allikanbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 01:50 PM   #3
El Barto

My Ride: 330 CI
Nice coincidence.

I just installed my BSW Stage ones today. I have had them for awhile and took them out of my prior 2001 330 CIC. I thought my 2003 speakers were ok so I put off the install.

Finally got around to installation today and they sound great. I forgot how much they change the sound. Originally I was not looking for killer sound I just had a couple blown H&K's and was trying to get normal sound back in my 2001. I'm glad I pulled them out before I got rid of the 2001 CIC.

I also put the sound deadening kit from BSW in. It was simple and cut way back on the buzziness when you put that much vibration into the door cavity.

I could use some advice on the Ghost Sub. Is this plug and play as well?

Thanks,

Last edited by El Barto; 06-12-2016 at 01:51 PM.
El Barto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:14 AM   #4
rayzbmr

My Ride: '02 325Cic Vert
I looked up the cost for my 2002 325ci. $500 w/o the ghost sub. Are they worth it?
rayzbmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 05:06 PM   #5
dknightd

My Ride: 2002 330 cic
I keep being tempted to upgrade my speakers with the Bavsound ones. Wondered if they were worth it. El Barto, perhaps I can listen to yours one day. They used to sell a sub specific for vert, but I did not see it when I just visited their site. I get occasional buzz out of my door panels. I need to open them up and see if I can find what causes it. I also get occasional buzz from the stock sub - I'm pretty sure that is caused by broken latch on the pass through.
dknightd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:58 PM   #6
El Barto

My Ride: 330 CI
d,

They are expensive and it took me some time to breakdown and buy them. Athens positives are they are plug and play and superior to the H&K's especially ones that start to get over 10 years old. I had the buzz problem on my 2001 CIC on the front passenger midrange. I also had a buzz fro the sub, but like you may have found my problem with the sub was the plastic holder for the ski pass sub would vibrate and the loudspeaker was ok, or at least as good as it was.

I have been traveling a bit for work but can meet up and you can check them out. I have yet to put the rear speakers in yet. It is a quick task and I plan to finish it up in the next few weekends.

Paul
El Barto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 10:02 PM   #7
bigpapa1010

Quote:
Originally Posted by allikanbe View Post
OEM HK head unit or did you replace it?
I have stock mk 4 nav
Old 06-18-2016, 10:03 PM   #8
bigpapa1010

These speakers kick ass, the ghost sub is on clearance!!!
Old 06-21-2016, 10:36 AM   #9
idriveastick

My Ride: 06 m3
Just caved and bought them for my 2006 M3 vert. Looks like I have a project this weekend.
idriveastick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 06:13 PM   #10
allikanbe

My Ride: 2006 330Ci Convertib
Quote:
Originally Posted by idriveastick View Post
Just caved and bought them for my 2006 M3 vert. Looks like I have a project this weekend.
Did you get the "free" toolkit? Watch the video of the bavsound guy changing the speakers on the convertible. Too easy. Note that the foam tape strip is in the box with the front speaker. There is a "hidden" part on the box. Also, my 06 convertible had a foam bowl around the front speakers. There was no mention of this in the video. I just put the same bowl around my new speaker. All good.
allikanbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 06:14 PM   #11
idriveastick

Quote:
Originally Posted by allikanbe View Post
Did you get the "free" toolkit? Watch the video of the bavsound guy changing the speakers on the convertible. Too easy. Note that the foam tape strip is in the box with the front speaker. There is a "hidden" part on the box. Also, my 06 convertible had a foam bowl around the front speakers. There was no mention of this in the video. I just put the same bowl around my new speaker. All good.
Nope, didn't see a free toolkit. However, if it's just plastic tools, I already have some I had bought a while back to do a radio install....

Thanks for the tips on the foam stuff.
Old 06-21-2016, 11:43 PM   #12
jjrichar
Modded ///Member

My Ride: 330 CiC, 330i
Here's my feedback on the Bavsound system including subwoofer and subsequent install recently of a Dynavin N6 unit.

I installed the Bavsound speakers into my convertible a number of years ago. I was expecting a far better upgrade in performance than I got. For a long time I considered that the upgrade was from a pretty rubbish system to one that was OK. The sound from the normal speakers was an improvement, but most of all the subwoofer integration was poor. The input to the subwoofer amp by splicing into the output from the radio unit is clearly not what the subwoofer amp really needs. I was running the gain on the amp at about 0.5 (of a possible 10) just to keep the output from the subwoofer under control. It was very difficult to balance, and the sound always left me disappointed.

Now to the Dynavin N6. It's hard to put into words how much of a change there is. Clearly the weak link in the chain previously was the output from the radio/CD units. The stock amp seems to work pretty reasonably. The sound quality improvement over just the Bavsound speaker installation is an order of magnitude. The N6 has specific subwoofer outputs that go to amp. The gain is now set to midrange, and the balance between subwoofer and other speakers is great.

So my overall opinion: The Bavsound setup is really good, but it's only going to be as good as the weakest link. Without removing that it's never going to what you really want. The N6 unit is similar in cost to the stage 1 speakers, so it's not an insignificant outlay. It is however definitely worth it just for the sound improvements, without even mentioning all the other features.

On the downside of the N6. It's a far more extensive DIY, and literature to do the DIY is about 1% compared to the Bavsound installation.

Last edited by jjrichar; 06-21-2016 at 11:43 PM.
jjrichar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 01:40 PM   #13
idriveastick

Installed the Bavsound kit yesterday. Sounds light years better than the HK system. My HK cones weren't cracked nor appeared to be weathered at all. However, the paper cones felt brittle. I'm running an aftermarket Alpine double DIN 7" HU and not using the factory amp.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:04 AM   #14
idriveastick

Returned kits on clearance: https://bavsoundclearance.com/

Looks like $100 savings. Of course, right after I buy mine at retail price.

Last edited by idriveastick; 06-28-2016 at 11:05 AM.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:10 PM   #15
Doublewide

How do I know if I have an amp?
Doublewide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 05:13 PM   #16
idriveastick

Go to the trunk, open trunk, remove left (facing the trunk-left; driver's side) carpeting (in trunk), look for amp. Mine is long gone, so not sure exactly what it looks like, but it should be obvious. I believe it'll be vertically mounted.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:27 PM   #17
Doublewide

Thanks

I still learning my new purchase. 2004 325ci.
Doublewide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:46 PM   #18
Kubla

My Ride: 2000 323 ci converti
anyone have the business class CD radio with the HK speakers? my speakers buzz at times (they are 16 years old) and the sub door will not stay closed, going to make something to hold it closed
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:58 PM   #19
Hisdem

My Ride: 2004 M3 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
anyone have the business class CD radio with the HK speakers? my speakers buzz at times (they are 16 years old) and the sub door will not stay closed, going to make something to hold it closed
I have that setup. My speakers do not buzz (at least not that I can hear) unless I have the BT audio stream selected as the source, which I assume is an issue with the DICE unit rather than the speakers. Unless the previous owner replaced them, they should be around 12 years old right now.

As for the sub door, it really is a pain to get it to stick shut, but after pressing it in there really hard, it seems to have learned how to behave.

Last edited by Hisdem; 07-27-2016 at 10:59 PM.
Hisdem is offline   Reply With Quote