E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-17-2015, 09:46 AM   #1
davo 01

My Ride: bmw e46 330ci conver
bmw e46 convertible roof failure

Hi, New to the forum and not sure where to put this, any help would be great in trying to sort this issue.
I have a bmw e46 330ci convertible and the roof fails to ion fully, it unmatched at the windscreen opens about 3cm then stops no matter how long u hold button down for nothing happens if u press it on and off u can hear a clicking noise from the rear nearside, it will close up again if u press close, any ideas? Thanks.
davo 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:06 AM   #2
Archbid

My Ride: 2003 330cic
Sounds like the lid latch motor under the back seat. After the roof unlocks from the windshield, and the roof starts to lift, the cvm tries to open the lid.

If the motor gears are stripped, the latches don't move and the sensors tell the cvm that the compartment is closed, so don't try to stuff the roof in.

Pull up the rear seat and try opening the roof. If the clicking is from the black box in the middle, you probably have a stripped gear.

More reading:
http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho....php?t=1073144
Archbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:38 AM   #3
davo 01

Hi, thanks for your reply archbishop, much appreciated, I will check that black box however the clicking sound is coming more from by the passenger rear quarter inside where the roof folds away where the solonoids are, it's like a relay clicking sound, I have noticed that the wires that go from there up 'there hood look like they have been repaired before judging by the insulation tape around them so this could well be the issue? Cheers
Old 06-17-2015, 10:47 AM   #4
davo 01

Archbid, sorry, damn autocorrect
Old 06-22-2015, 07:38 AM   #5
Archbid

Does the rear lid unlatch before the process halts? And I liked the "Archbishop" thing
Old 06-22-2015, 11:10 AM   #6
lmattiso

My Ride: 2003 E46 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by davo 01 View Post
Hi, New to the forum and not sure where to put this, any help would be great in trying to sort this issue.
I have a bmw e46 330ci convertible and the roof fails to ion fully, it unmatched at the windscreen opens about 3cm then stops no matter how long u hold button down for nothing happens if u press it on and off u can hear a clicking noise from the rear nearside, it will close up again if u press close, any ideas? Thanks.
Typically it's either the lid latch motor gears getting stripped or a broken wire (usually in the bend above the driver's head). Mine was exhibiting the same symptoms as yours though and it turned out to be the hydraulic pump solenoid relay. The relay is next to the pump, in the trunk close to where you said you could hear the clicking. It's a cheap and easy part to replace if you want to try it out before digging around the wiring harness.

The relay part# is 54347025596. Originally I ordered one from ECS but they were taking too long. I found one on Amazon that was an equivalent part and it worked great.
lmattiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 12:15 PM   #7
Archbid

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmattiso View Post
Typically it's either the lid latch motor gears getting stripped or a broken wire (usually in the bend above the driver's head). Mine was exhibiting the same symptoms as yours though and it turned out to be the hydraulic pump solenoid relay. The relay is next to the pump, in the trunk close to where you said you could hear the clicking. It's a cheap and easy part to replace if you want to try it out before digging around the wiring harness.

The relay part# is 54347025596. Originally I ordered one from ECS but they were taking too long. I found one on Amazon that was an equivalent part and it worked great.
He was saying passenger side, but the solenoid and pump are on the driver side, correct?
Old 06-22-2015, 12:18 PM   #8
lmattiso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archbid View Post
He was saying passenger side, but the solenoid and pump are on the driver side, correct?
The rear nearside to me indicates near to the driver. I'm not aware of anything electrical that's related to the roof on the passenger side. I know the CVM is on the driver's side as well.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:28 PM   #9
Archbid

Quote:
Originally Posted by davo 01 View Post
Hi, thanks for your reply archbishop, much appreciated, I will check that black box however the clicking sound is coming more from by the passenger rear quarter inside where the roof folds away where the solonoids are, it's like a relay clicking sound, I have noticed that the wires that go from there up 'there hood look like they have been repaired before judging by the insulation tape around them so this could well be the issue? Cheers
davo 01, which side is the noise coming from? If it is driver side, then it can be the solenoid/relay. If it is passenger side, not so much.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:34 PM   #10
lmattiso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archbid View Post
davo 01, which side is the noise coming from? If it is driver side, then it can be the solenoid/relay. If it is passenger side, not so much.
I missed that reply. I would examine the wiring section that was repaired before in that area first before replacing the relay. My understanding is that the relay rarely fails but the wiring harness will almost always fray over time. Could be hearing the wires shorting out.
Old 06-23-2015, 01:13 AM   #11
davo 01

That's strange because all of my roof electrics wiring harnesses going up the roof, cvm, pump in the boot solenoids etc are all on the passenger side? I've tested all the wires on weekend they are all working fine, I'm keen on the solenoid pump relay idea as the sound is a relay clicking sound and its coming from the solenoids however not from in the boot, it's coming from the 3 solenoids right where the roof is bolted to the car on the passenger side, if I keep trying the top solenoid gets red hot to the touch I can't get to the others to tell, there are no roof electrics on my drivers side of the car.
Old 06-23-2015, 01:22 AM   #12
davo 01

However I live in the UK? The drivers side is on the right so if u may be from another country that may be the confusion unless I have a one off e46 that bmw messed up on, ha!
Archbid could you tell me exactly where to locate this relay? I couldn't see any relays on the weekend near the pump in the boot not that I can remember, thanks everyone
Old 06-23-2015, 01:30 AM   #13
davo 01

Just in case of more confusion my drivers side is on the right if your looking from the boot forward, if your looking in the boot my pump is on the left, my passenger side.
Old 06-23-2015, 01:33 AM   #14
davo 01

Also archbid I have had issues opening the boot when the roof fails, I can only open it with the key not normal central locking or pushing the open button above number plate
Old 06-23-2015, 08:40 AM   #15
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
Your issue has all the symptoms of a broken wire, read the electrical trouble shooting sticky.

The trunk only opening with the key also indicates a broken wire. The electronic release for the trunk is disabled if the roof is open, if the roof harness has a broken wire then a sensor may be reporting the roof is open.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:23 AM   #16
davo 01

Thanks, I havetest e all the wires that go up the roof so not one of them, maybe the one going to the bootlid? Where can I find this troubleshooting sticky? Thanks
Old 06-26-2015, 08:28 PM   #17
Archbid

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=854059