E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-20-2014, 12:11 PM   #1
Phoenix330ci

My Ride: 04 330Ci Convertible
Another top issue....Top going down

Ok I'll admit I didn't do a full check on this yet here but here is the problem.

Top going up and latching no problem.

Top going down....that is the problem.

Top unlatches, the first part folds up, the back folds up the deck lid lifts, it starts to go into the well and it stops. If you press the down button again it will continue the cycle and be stored. Up no problem.

The other day I noticed it did the same but took several pushes of the down button to continue.

Yesterday I tried it again, got to the same point and stopped, pushed the button again and then it continued to almost being totally in the well but stopped, pushed the button one more time and it was stored.

So three times to push the button to store the top. So it appears to be getting worse.

I have not plugged the computer in to it to see what code it stores yet.

My conclusions:

1. doesn't sound like a broken wire as it seems to continue to work but multiple presses of the button to get the job done, like it looses the signal.

2. How about a bad switch on console?

3. Bad Hall sensor?

4. Not thinking hydraulics as the top does go up.

I'm sure I will know more with the computer plugged in but looking to see if anyone had the same issue?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:32 PM   #2
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
There's been a couple others with similar issues. Unfortunately they never reported back a successful resolution. I think the only way to diagnose this is with a computer attached as it is electrical, not hydraulic.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:43 PM   #3
Phoenix330ci

Yeah I'll get to that today and report back. If it is a sensor then it will be stored.

Oh yeah, I forgot, no blinking lights on that either. When it first stops there is but it is because the cycle didn't complete. Once stored no lights. Same as up, no lights.

Wondering if it will even have a code as it completes the cycle. I can always plug computer in and drop the top and see what happens.

Last edited by Phoenix330ci; 11-20-2014 at 12:46 PM.
Phoenix330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 06:40 PM   #4
Phoenix330ci

Here is what was read from the computer. It was the same regardless of operating the top or not (scanned the car three times), no difference in what was stored. Only thing now is that it is completely broken on the down, pressing button several times does nothing (except originally folding the top up, seems to stop at that point when almost having the top stored in the well), and once it got to a point where it was just barely sticking out of the well, it would no longer go up (or down) at all.....However if raised by hand, to the point where the deck lid is down and the glass is sitting on top, I can press the closed button and it will finish the routine and lock it up. No flashing lights on console.

My guess is going to be another broken wire, instead of at the first bend maybe at the second (yeah, that one looks harder to get at)??

Here is the info:

CVM

not present - 1F VSW 4.1 input @ ground

Shadow
Fault - 70 Low Voltage at Terminal 30
Not Present - 7B Hardware - Error

My observations from previous repairs -

The 1F seems to always be there when other faults are present or in shadow (remember seeing this one there when the wire was broke for the front section twice - of course cleared after repairs)
The 70 seems to be when there is a ground broken
The 7B seems to be when the signal doesn't trip a sensor or motor.

Thoughts on where to start looking for this? I wish there was an easy way to put a complete new harness in as I would buy one in a minute.

Another electrical issue and I still have to deal with the turn signal issue (broken wire inside of the light assembly)
Old 11-21-2014, 04:09 AM   #5
The Thomas J

My Ride: 2002 325Cic
I on occasion have had a similar issue with the top going about half way down and stopping, but with a blinking light. For no reason other then my own opinion I believe it to be hydraulic in nature. The pressure drops below a certain level, or air in the system. It could also be the voltage level spikes, or drops and it interrupts the system to prevent damage. I inspect my wire harness often and they all look good. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by The Thomas J; 11-21-2014 at 04:10 AM.
The Thomas J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 09:44 AM   #6
Phoenix330ci

I should check battery. I have seen weird behavior before on battery related issues, especially with the top.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:21 PM   #7
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
I on occasion have had a similar issue with the top going about half way down and stopping, but with a blinking light. For no reason other then my own opinion I believe it to be hydraulic in nature. The pressure drops below a certain level, or air in the system.
You should be able to hear that, the pump re-pressurizing is loud. That's how I determined I had a leak, my top would stop and then I'd hear the pump working hard to get it going again.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:46 PM   #8
TopHydraulicsInc.com
Supporting Vendor

My Ride: German verts
The hydraulic pump works hardest in the lowering cycle when lifting the top off the windshield, after the rear bow (rear window section) has just been lowered. If you have to help it by hand just to get a little farther from the windshield, then you most likely have a problem with the pump. At Top Hydraulics, we are working on E46 pumps on a daily basis now. Slow-moving tops can also be the result of internal leaks in the valve block ("control unit") behind the driver's door, but that is not as common as the pump loosing pressure.

If the top stalls on the way down while almost in the storage compartment, like in Phoenix330ci's case, that does not sound like a hydraulic problem.

Klaus

www.tophydraulicsinc.com
http://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/en/56-bmw-e46

5434-8234530 (hydro-unit)
54347025592 (control unit)
54347025598 (improved hoses manufactured at Top Hydraulics)
http://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/en/56-bmw-e46
www.tophydraulicsinc.com

TopHydraulicsInc.com is offline   Reply With Quote