E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 76 votes, 4.78 average.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:32 PM   #241
DropTopKingM3

My Ride: All German
Here are some pictures from a show last month.

^Don't say my car is topless, say the t!tties is out^
DropTopKingM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:18 AM   #242
Gheybe

My Ride: F80 M3
I knew these looked familiar.

So JORGE, have you been able to play with all the paraphernalia back there? Or are there goodies up front for you as well?
Old 02-14-2011, 06:20 AM   #243
glamdring71

My Ride: 2004 325ci Vert
Hi guys...I've been lurking in this thread for weeks now waiting to get my vert clean enough to post a pic. Thanks for all the valuable info.

I've got lots of things I want to do with the car, but for now I'm just excited for the warmer weather so I can open the roof. It's our first convertible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0217.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	393224  
glamdring71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:57 PM   #244
DropTopKingM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gheybe View Post
I knew these looked familiar.

So JORGE, have you been able to play with all the paraphernalia back there? Or are there goodies up front for you as well?
Gabe you cant get bored in this car no matter what. Regardless if its a night out on the town, spirited driving on the highway, or just playing around with my newly inherited technology. I was able to keep almost everything. There are a few changes that are being made in regards to the front. The bezel was removed and the vents are being put back on.. The carputer is also being removed. They did give me a lot of goodies though and I can say that my car is almost 100% perfect and restored. Whatever wasnt near mint on the car at the time it was dropped off was instantly corrected.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:18 AM   #245
Gheybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropTopKingM3 View Post
Gabe you cant get bored in this car no matter what. Regardless if its a night out on the town, spirited driving on the highway, or just playing around with my newly inherited technology. I was able to keep almost everything. There are a few changes that are being made in regards to the front. The bezel was removed and the vents are being put back on.. The carputer is also being removed. They did give me a lot of goodies though and I can say that my car is almost 100% perfect and restored. Whatever wasnt near mint on the car at the time it was dropped off was instantly corrected.
Sounds like it was the deal of century for you.
Glad it worked out buddy. very happy for you!!
Old 02-15-2011, 12:19 AM   #246
Gheybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamdring71 View Post
Hi guys...I've been lurking in this thread for weeks now waiting to get my vert clean enough to post a pic. Thanks for all the valuable info.

I've got lots of things I want to do with the car, but for now I'm just excited for the warmer weather so I can open the roof. It's our first convertible.
Welcome buddy! Alpine white is AWESOME. Get a drop and it will look awesome.
Love the ambers.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:17 AM   #247
Dittoz

My Ride: '03 325 CiC
Manual top won't latch

Second go-round for this problem but now we're out of warranty...

Have an '03 325Ci convert with a manual top. For those of you who aren't familiar, the manual top top is put down by unlatching the front via a handle, then pushing the top button. This lowers the windows approx 2" and pops the hatch in the back about 1" open. Pull the hatch the rest of the way open and the top is manually retracted and the hatch closed to approx 1" from being completely shut. A motor then engages the hatch and snugs it down.

Everything works fine in the above except for the hatch being snugged. The motor never triggers and the hatch never snugs. It can easily be pushed into place but it pops right back up again.

It started when I was opening the top - I pushed the hatch down and it started to close then there was a small "thunk" and it popped up again. Nothing sever, but it wasn't the normal sound.

REALLY don't want to pay the dealer to fix it but not sure where/what... any thoughts or experience?
Dittoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:13 AM   #248
R0B

My Ride: zhp sedan
anyone who has a 325 vert wanna sell/swap diffs? I don't think I belong here...

:Headers: :Header-back Magnaflow Exhuast: :UUC clutch/lightweight flywheel: :AA stage 1 supercharger: :VMR V710:
For sale: 3.46 differential, 18x8.0 style 135/18x8.5 style 135/ 19x8.5 varrstoen 1.1.2
R0B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:25 AM   #249
Mango
New member? See my sig!

My Ride: M54B30
Nice white vert! Just get some new wheels plz!!! OE looks best...
Old 02-16-2011, 11:25 AM   #250
Gheybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dittoz View Post
Second go-round for this problem but now we're out of warranty...

Have an '03 325Ci convert with a manual top. For those of you who aren't familiar, the manual top top is put down by unlatching the front via a handle, then pushing the top button. This lowers the windows approx 2" and pops the hatch in the back about 1" open. Pull the hatch the rest of the way open and the top is manually retracted and the hatch closed to approx 1" from being completely shut. A motor then engages the hatch and snugs it down.

Everything works fine in the above except for the hatch being snugged. The motor never triggers and the hatch never snugs. It can easily be pushed into place but it pops right back up again.

It started when I was opening the top - I pushed the hatch down and it started to close then there was a small "thunk" and it popped up again. Nothing sever, but it wasn't the normal sound.

REALLY don't want to pay the dealer to fix it but not sure where/what... any thoughts or experience?
I have never heard of a manual top, but its something I want BADLY. I want a manual top since mine broke as well, and I assumed there was a way to just dump the heavy motor and make it manual. Can you take pics of your set up?
Old 02-16-2011, 11:26 AM   #251
Gheybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Nice white vert! Just get some new wheels plz!!! OE looks best...
you crazy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by R0B View Post
anyone who has a 325 vert wanna sell/swap diffs? I don't think I belong here...
hahhahahah
Old 02-16-2011, 11:28 AM   #252
DropTopKingM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamdring71 View Post

Congrats and welcome to the thread. This is my first vert also. Ive owned quite a number of BMWs prior but Ive kept this one the longest (6 years). Had it been a coupe I wouldve gotten sick of it a while ago. Youre gonna love it once youre able to drop the top

Quote:
Sounds like it was the deal of century for you.
Glad it worked out buddy. very happy for you!!
Thanks a lot bro.. Cant wait till the temps warm up so I can fully enjoy it. Send some Cali weather this way.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:41 AM   #253
Gheybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropTopKingM3 View Post

Thanks a lot bro.. Cant wait till the temps warm up so I can fully enjoy it. Send some Cali weather this way.
hhaha its actually raining over here right now. Woke up to everything soaked.

By the way, I'm getting pissed at not being able to fix my top lately for lack of time and need of my car.

I might have to just bite the bullet and do it and borrow my gf's brother's spare E30.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:45 PM   #254
RT_E46inKY

My Ride: 04 330ci
Just joined

Hey! Just joined the forum today and wanted to share a pic of my 04 330ci. Bought it back in December and finally got to drive with the top down all day today. Lots of great info here. Car is completly stock except for the tint and an aftermarket deck, no big plans for it other than driving it a lot. This is the only good picture I have from the dealership where I bought it, gotta get it cleaned up a bit now that spring is coming.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	393557  
RT_E46inKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:05 PM   #255
joneperry

My Ride: e46 + S60 + Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT_E46inKY View Post
Hey! Just joined the forum today and wanted to share a pic of my 04 330ci. Bought it back in December and finally got to drive with the top down all day today. Lots of great info here. Car is completly stock except for the tint and an aftermarket deck, no big plans for it other than driving it a lot. This is the only good picture I have from the dealership where I bought it, gotta get it cleaned up a bit now that spring is coming.
What tint % is that? Still cant decide what I want to go with.. my blue soft top really throws everything off
joneperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:59 PM   #256
Bimmerboi128

My Ride: 05' 330Cic/04' 325i
Talking

What's up guys! Been away for a while... but got another E46 =] 2005 325Cic. Color: A08 Silver Grey Metallic with grey leather and black top. So thought I'd join this thread! ha.

I just had one question while I'm getting the pics together,

I notice that the back quarter window on the passenger side rolls up and down pretty slow, slower than any other window on the car. I've never owned a convertible so I don't know if this is something that's normal... any input? Another thing, anything I should look out for? Signs that I may have to change the hydro fluid for the top perhaps? It has a new Top btw.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:17 AM   #257
Dittoz

My Ride: '03 325 CiC
Quote:
I have never heard of a manual top, but its something I want BADLY. I want a manual top since mine broke as well, and I assumed there was a way to just dump the heavy motor and make it manual. Can you take pics of your set up?
It really doesn't appear much different as I understand although there is a release handle at the front that may be different. I'll post up some photos after the rain stops in a few days...

Above the rear-view mirror, there's a roughly 4" circular handle that you twist to unlatch the top and then push the top up a bit. There is then only a single switch below the radio and pushing that drops the windows a few inches and unlatches the rear hatch. You then jump out, manually open the hatch, raise the back of the top and open the hatch fully. Once the hatch is open, the top easily folds into the bay with just one hand. Once in, you then manually close the hatch (it's hinged but not on any shocks or struts) and at the last inch or two, the motor grabs the hatch and pulls it in and secures it.

My initial though was that it would be a pain but after hearing of so many issues with power tops and the extraordinary expense in fixing them, I LOVE the manual top!

I may be old, but I got to see all the good bands!
Dittoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:41 PM   #258
Gheybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dittoz View Post
It really doesn't appear much different as I understand although there is a release handle at the front that may be different. I'll post up some photos after the rain stops in a few days...

Above the rear-view mirror, there's a roughly 4" circular handle that you twist to unlatch the top and then push the top up a bit. There is then only a single switch below the radio and pushing that drops the windows a few inches and unlatches the rear hatch. You then jump out, manually open the hatch, raise the back of the top and open the hatch fully. Once the hatch is open, the top easily folds into the bay with just one hand. Once in, you then manually close the hatch (it's hinged but not on any shocks or struts) and at the last inch or two, the motor grabs the hatch and pulls it in and secures it.

My initial though was that it would be a pain but after hearing of so many issues with power tops and the extraordinary expense in fixing them, I LOVE the manual top!
I want it SOOOOOOOO bad. I'm gonna try to find it.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:19 PM   #259
DropTopKingM3

Heres a sneak peak. Itll be on spike TV soon

Old 02-17-2011, 08:20 PM   #260
RT_E46inKY

My Ride: 04 330ci
Mine is done in 35% all the way around.
RT_E46inKY is offline   Reply With Quote