E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 77 votes, 4.78 average.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:17 PM   #101
DropTopKingM3

My Ride: All German
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW330CiVert View Post
Hello fellow vert owners. I did a search and was happy to find a vert thread. Hope to see a section dedicated to convertibles.

I've had my '05 for nearly two months and loving every minute of it behind the wheel. Spring can't get here fast enough...

Mike
Welcome Mike
Post up some pics of your ride.

^Don't say my car is topless, say the t!tties is out^
DropTopKingM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 06:00 PM   #102
SMUUUUUV
///Motorcepts ///Maintained

My Ride: '02 330 Vert-'06 4.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropTopKingM3 View Post
Welcome Mike
Post up some pics of your ride.

yeah.. what he said....
SMUUUUUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:16 PM   #103
jzwu

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330Cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gheybe View Post
What do you guys mean batwing?

My top is broken right now, and I wanna make sure I have diagnosed the right part. I haven't been able to fix it just yet, but I'm getting ready to do it. Probably in January.
I have the same problem - left side hydraulic system leaking possibly the left cylinder going bad. Heard the whole top needs to come off to do the repair so I haven't got mine fixed yet.

Just used manual open/close for the top for a while now.
jzwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:53 PM   #104
Gheybe

My Ride: F80 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzwu View Post
I have the same problem - left side hydraulic system leaking possibly the left cylinder going bad. Heard the whole top needs to come off to do the repair so I haven't got mine fixed yet.

Just used manual open/close for the top for a while now.
I'm gonna try to DIY it in a month or so.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:00 AM   #105
jzwu

Let me know how it comes out.

Be forewarned though, the top is complex and the installation is usually not for the amateur. It can get messed up pretty bad.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:10 AM   #106
robt_sf

My Ride: 2003 330Ci
Anybody have an idea of how to get dried rubbing compound / wax off the top?

robt_sf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 12:24 AM   #107
Gheybe

My Ride: F80 M3
Leatherrique's Prestine Clean.

Rub rub rub rub rub.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:28 AM   #108
DropTopKingM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gheybe View Post
Leatherrique's Prestine Clean.

Rub rub rub rub rub.
+1 .. Same thing happened to me a few months ago and it worked like a charm. Be patient, eventually it will come off.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:35 AM   #109
robt_sf

Can any of you post a video of the top opening, I need to know how a normal operating top should be with the engine off. My top has been giving me issues of not working, and it just randomly started reworking after I slammed the trunk down. I suspect a sensor is going. When I was just putting it up, the motor seemed to be pretty loud. I generally put the top up with the motor going, but am not concerned that the pump may be going also.

Old 12-12-2010, 01:01 AM   #110
The Thomas J

My Ride: 2002 325Cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by robt_sf View Post
Can any of you post a video of the top opening, I need to know how a normal operating top should be with the engine off. My top has been giving me issues of not working, and it just randomly started reworking after I slammed the trunk down. I suspect a sensor is going. When I was just putting it up, the motor seemed to be pretty loud. I generally put the top up with the motor going, but am not concerned that the pump may be going also.
The top won't operate if the truck isn't securly locked, many of us have similar issues with the trunk not latching properly, the sensor is in the handle itself....I think. So most likely that is the issue.
The Thomas J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 01:53 AM   #111
///M3Risto

My Ride: E46 '06 M3 vert, B/B
Great thread....thanks for all the useful information, esp the tips on cleaning and maintenance of our tops! -subscribed!-
Old 12-12-2010, 07:05 AM   #112
PTinVT

My Ride: 07 328xi, 02 325Cic
Quote:
If youre parking your car for the winter and not driving it I would suggest leaving the hardtop off and leaving the soft top up. I parked my car once for the winter with the hardtop on (6 months) and I never fully got rid of the wrinkes/creases in my soft top. Other convertible owners who used hardtops noticed the same thing. If you dont have to leave your hardtop on, then dont do it. If you want to pull the car out on a winter day for a quick spin then go ahead and slap it on and take it off after youre done driving. I wouldnt recommend leaving it on for months straight though.
I think I always had a gut that soft-top up/hardtop off was better for long-term parking, but now my vert isn't under the hoist any more... I should probably move the hoist but I also really don't like my cradle and want to either get an eztop style one or figure out a reliable sling/clip solution.

But, many people drive all winter long with the hardtop on and have no soft-top issues (as I didn't last year), so I'll probably remain lazy and take my chances for another season :/ (I've also taken the insurance off for the season so no quick drives even if we get a warm spell this winter)

07 SG (Space Gray) 328xi coupe, 6-speed, premium/sport/cold/leather - daily/winter driver
02 AW 325Cic 5-speed, premium/leather, removable hardtop - summer cruiser: 18" CSL reps, JL amp/sub/door components, Reinhold remote top control
71 Buick Riviera - Land Yacht
PTinVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 06:28 PM   #113
jzwu

Thumbs down

Quote:
YouTube has the videos.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:34 PM   #114
DropTopKingM3

Quote:
My friend Alex posted up some vids of euro coding he did. He can program your top to fold up and down with the key. Here are the vids of the top going down and you can check the operating speed from there.

Old 12-12-2010, 07:50 PM   #115
robt_sf

Thanks for the Video, it seems my top is working at pretty normal speed then. Perhaps the computer or sensor just farted yesterday. Does this coding your friend do entail adding a new module? Or does this activate the European feature that does this?

Old 12-12-2010, 08:05 PM   #116
DropTopKingM3

Quote:
Thanks for the Video, it seems my top is working at pretty normal speed then. Perhaps the computer or sensor just farted yesterday. Does this coding your friend do entail adding a new module? Or does this activate the European feature that does this?
No modules necessary. He activates hidden European features.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:08 PM   #117
joneperry

My Ride: e46 + S60 + Z
does anyone think a hardtop can fit inside a midsize suv? anyone tried it before
joneperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:16 PM   #118
DropTopKingM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joneperry View Post
does anyone think a hardtop can fit inside a midsize suv? anyone tried it before
I fit mine inside the back of a Cadillac Escalade. It didnt go all the way in because the rear of the top is very wide. My friend drove the truck while I sat in the back and held it. I tried a Nissan Pathfinder but it wouldnt go in at all. Its not the height of the top or length, its the width thats the problem. I would recommend using a pickup truck or a van.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:00 PM   #119
jzwu

Quote:
No modules necessary. He activates hidden European features.
I have that feature already unlocked when I got my car. But hey what use does it have now that my top is not working?
Old 12-12-2010, 09:29 PM   #120
robt_sf

Too bad I'm on the wrong coast. I would love to have that feature. Do you know anyone out here that does it? Do you use a GT1to do it?