E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > New England

New England
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
MA ME NH RI VT

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-17-2014, 05:39 AM   #1
UKtRAINE3

My Ride: ///M3
Send a message via AIM to UKtRAINE3
BMW shop that will work on FI car?

Can anyone recommend a shop around Boston or in MA that will work on a supercharged M3? I have a VF charged M3 that's not running like it's supposed to.

I usually use BPG but they're not able to check boost or A/F ratios and such.

Thanks in advance for any help.
UKtRAINE3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:52 AM   #2
cak323i
Modded ///Member

My Ride: ///M3 & 330i ZHP
Have you tried contacting Ace Performance in Tewksbury? Talk to Vik....perhaps they can help you out
2004 TiAg ///M l OEM CSL interior door panels l OEM CSL bootlid l Scorza CSL center console | Navigation | LCM s/w 4.5 triple blink | OEM black interior retrofit | BC Racing BR Coilovers l BMW Performance Carbon Fiber strut bar & Short Shift Kit l Gruppe M carbon kevlar CAI l BMW iPod Integration l Alu Tech interior Trim l Lit F10 ///M5 Shift Knob l Umnitza Orion V4 A/E's l 365AutoSports one piece cf CSL lip | BBS CH & ARC-8 wheel sets
cak323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:57 AM   #3
UKtRAINE3

Thanks I appreciate the response!
Old 05-29-2014, 03:01 PM   #4
defEddie

My Ride: 2000 323i
Dont know if your issue has been resolved yet but GPS in Brighton has helped me trouble shoot a few of my issues over the past.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:38 AM   #5
UKtRAINE3

Thanks, my car is currently at Schneller BMW in Newbury. They seem like an experienced group of guys and have been very helpful. defEddie is your 323i supercharged?
Old 06-02-2014, 02:09 PM   #6
defEddie

Hope everything works out. And yes, I have the VF engineering s/c kit.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:16 AM   #7
UKtRAINE3

Thanks, funny thing is my buddy drove by GPS yesterday and said there was a bunch of BMW's there... How do you like the VF kit? Not too happy with mine so far.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:32 AM   #8
defEddie

Yeah, they mostly work on BMW's, Porsche's and Minis. I know the guys compete with them on the weekends.

As far as the VF kit goes, I bought my car as someone else's project and have been finishing it myself in my own direction but the kit was there when I bought the car. A few things weren't assembled correctly. It was spitting oil like crazy because the drain line wasn't routed properly, GPS helped me out with that a few years ago. More recently, they helped me diagnose a bad idle surge problem. They didn't find the problem but I brought my car in for a smoke test so I could eliminate the possibility of a vacuum leak. Turned out the dye in the premixed water/meth I was using was gumming up my DISA and my ICV and the computers reaction is to blip the throttle to try and un-jam itself! Anyways.

I have the V2 kit and I have had to make a few small modifications. It is impossible to properly tighten the plastic intake to the back of the s/c itself. I got some silicone hose maybe about 2" long and 2 hose clamps (they only give you one clamp and expect it to secure hard plastic to a metal connection) and I placed it between both pieces and tightened the clamps this creates a much better seal. I was getting vacuum leaks here before this is also a good time to check the condition of your motor mounts (ask me how I know!?) Also, to accommodate for the added space in between, I changed out the smaller silicone hose at the top of the s/c to a longer one. This one is not as much of a PITA to fit on but if there is a leak here you'll really know it. Lastly, extended the intake and have relocated my air filter just behind one of the intake openings in my bumper.

The kit had almost 10K miles on it when I bought the car. Now I probably put another 14-15k on it and everything is just fine. I clean out the oil feed and drain fittings when I change my oil every 3K or so. I haven't had the car on a dyno yet but it makes decent power.

The only thing I haven't done yet which I believe would help this kit is and oil-less air filter. The less gunk getting sucked in the better.

If I were to buy another kit for this car I would probably have chosen the Active Autoworke kit based off of all the positive reviews and praise they have gotten.

What types of issues are you experiencing on your M3?
Old 06-04-2014, 05:47 AM   #9
UKtRAINE3

Damn sounds like you've had some issues. I guess it's to be expected with a boosted BMW though. I've been having issues with surging at high RPM, where the car would stop pulling at around 6,000RPM and seemed like the clutch was slipping - which turned out the be a bad ignition coil. I had idle problems where the car was stalling out in traffic and running very rough upon start-up. VF superseded some fuel injector clips that they say may be causing some driveability problems. Also the way the fuel rail is mounted is terrible engineering - I had fuel leaking from one of my injectors upon installing the kit, which needless to say is not very reassuring. I've got most of my problems sorted out and the car seems to drive fine but at the same time it doesn't feel anywhere near the 570crank HP it's supposed to be making. It seems closer to stock I would say and I've had the car looked over for boost leaks and I had a shop look over my installation and everything seems fine. My next step is to dyno the car and see what it is actually making for power.

Overall I've been very unhappy with the VF kit, from the engineering to installation and finally how the car performs. I had an 02 M3 with a Active Autowerke kit a few years ago and that kit was perfect during installation - everything went in and fit together as the instructions said. I did have issues with intercooler hoses blowing off and a couple of other issues but the guys at Active Auto were very helpful and always picked up the phone and worked through problems. I call VF Engineering and they do not do technical support over the phone and tell me to email them for a quicker response - I email them and get a reply three weeks later. Great customer service after spending close to $10k. In the end I wish I went with a Dinan kit - seems like every shop I talk to tells me that if their kits experience issues they will send a tech out to the shop and solve the problem right away.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:42 AM   #10
defEddie

The previous owner also told me upon initial installation that he was getting oil leaks from the dipstick tube. The V2 kit gets oil from the pan, now the V3 kit has its own self contained oil go figure. Its never given me an issue but as in all engineering, people try to improve on the flaws in their designs. You can R&D forever and still find a better way, I guess I'm trying to say that anything aftermarket will never be perfect lol. I have seen the VF kit on an M3 but am still mostly unfamiliar. Since you have had injector and fuel leaking problems in the past, and you say it seems to be lacking in power, have you checked the rest of the delivery? (fuel pump going bad or perhaps bad filter?) Also the VANOS seals/oil pump disc could make the car feel sluggish?

Last edited by defEddie; 06-04-2014 at 08:42 AM.
defEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:42 AM   #11
UKtRAINE3

I only have 30k miles so my VANOS better not be failing haha. You're right about aftermarket parts never being perfect but I guess when you pay that much for something you expect pretty good quality. Either way, I have the V3Si self lubricated unit so I've had no issues with the blower. Then again I have only 1000 miles on the kit so everything is still brand new. I am going to replace all the ignition coils and dyno the car to see what it's making for power, if it's low then I will proceed to checking the fuel system. I did have my fuel pump fail on my Active Autowerke M3 so that's definitely not out of the question. Also thanks for reminding me about the fuel filter, I need to order that as well since it's so easy to replace.

Last edited by UKtRAINE3; 06-04-2014 at 11:44 AM.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:21 PM   #12
defEddie

Yeah no prob. I hope everything gets sorted out. All that horsepower looks better on the road than it does on paper!
Old 06-05-2014, 05:35 AM   #13
UKtRAINE3

Thanks I appreciate it. I'll update after the dyno.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:48 PM   #14
CJW2OO4

My Ride: LANDSHARK
Send a message via AIM to CJW2OO4
all this super charger talk... might have to get me one.

BECAUSE STANCE CRAP
CJW2OO4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:41 AM   #15
UKtRAINE3