E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > New England

New England
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
MA ME NH RI VT

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-02-2011, 10:30 AM   #281
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
'sup!
Old 12-02-2011, 10:34 AM   #282
trizzuth

thinking I need to replace my PS reservoir gasket and engine oil cap gasket. Bought two awhile ago for the PS reservoir for my car and my wife's, but when I got them, they were rounded, and not flat as I expected them to be. Tried fitting it on the PS cap, and it was just not meant to fit, can't even get it up on there because it sits in the threads. totally wrong gasket, how did I F that up? might stop by the dealer in norwood when I am up in Canton next week for a meeting..

in other news, the 330 just pulls like a beast at 80mph. it really is ridiculous how amazing BMWs are once you get em up to highway speeds. not to mention they love breathing in the cold weather.

Took a look at the tire wear on my Kooks yesterday as I finally moved them into my basement from my garage so when I need to refinish them, they're there and ready. Tire wear on the fronts is AMAZING given that I did a "driveway alignment". Tire wear on the rears is better than expected, but still wearing a tad more on the inside edge. Might have the tires swapped before the spring so i can prolong their life.

Get this: Might be going to a friend's house on Sunday to help him replace the starter on his wife's 99 328i. Sweet job. Anyone ever do that? Should be interesting trying to do this without dropping the tranny or removing the intake manifold.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:00 PM   #283
CJW2OO4

My Ride: LANDSHARK
Send a message via AIM to CJW2OO4
you unemployed trizzuth when do you have time to screw around like you do?

BECAUSE STANCE CRAP
CJW2OO4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:32 AM   #284
trizzuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJW2OO4 View Post
you unemployed trizzuth when do you have time to screw around like you do?
haaaa, you hater. I work on a computer allllllll day long, so i can check in often.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:56 AM   #285
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Oh hai

Fvvck mondays took the day off lol
Old 12-05-2011, 01:36 PM   #286
trizzuth

Sup Russo.

So you work, you're on the forums, you don't work you're on the forums, it is seamless I see..
Old 12-05-2011, 01:50 PM   #287
Sam 330ci

My Ride: 03 530i
Send a message via AIM to Sam 330ci
Sam #1
Old 12-06-2011, 08:23 AM   #288
trizzuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam 330ci View Post
Sam #100000000000000000000
1) Don't flatter yourself.

2) When are you fixing all the things that are wrong with your 330?

3) Try to follow instructions in the DIY section to fix things.

4) They may not be written to your specifications.

5) So you might have to speak up and teach the fools who wrote it how to write.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:32 AM   #289
CJW2OO4

trizzuth want to help me do my rear shock mounts? I buy beer?

BECAUSE STANCE CRAP
Old 12-06-2011, 09:07 AM   #290
Sam 330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzuth View Post
1) Don't flatter yourself.

2) When are you fixing all the things that are wrong with your 330?

3) Try to follow instructions in the DIY section to fix things.

4) They may not be written to your specifications.

5) So you might have to speak up and teach the fools who wrote it how to write.
Hah, funny you'd mention this, you'll be proud to hear my plans.

Since moving back home (:/) I again have access to a relatives garage FULL of useful tools.

We replaced the caliper on Sunday and it is fixed.

My replacement E36 M3 Bilsteins arrived yesterday and are going in as soon as I can get to them.

I bought a Haynes manual (I know, Haynes sucks and I should use the DIY, but my gramps do)snt have wi-fi and I just need SOMETHING with pictures and information ya know? If I need more detail I'll print stuff out offline.)

I also have a low profile jack at the top of my Christmas list because the jack he has does not fit under my car so we have to pull up on the fender to get it under the jack point. Total pain in the ass, but I'm sure you don't have this problem.

Thought this one looked good, but am open to any suggestions:

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-2-1-2...p-00950165000P

Anyway, I have a final presentation tonight and another one on Thursday. Then one more huge project due on Monday and I am done with the class side of graduate school, just have my practicum in the Spring.

This means more time for me to do my own work on my car, something I'm sure you're happy to hear.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:33 AM   #291
CJW2OO4

Quote:
Anyway, I have a final presentation tonight and another one on Thursday. Then one more huge project due on Monday and I am done with the class side of graduate school, just have my practicum in the Spring.
Grad school? Where and what for?

BECAUSE STANCE CRAP
Old 12-06-2011, 09:35 AM   #292
Sam 330ci

Yes. UMass Lowell. Curriculum and Instruction (read: teaching)
Old 12-06-2011, 11:29 AM   #293
trizzuth

Quote:
trizzuth want to help me do my rear shock mounts? I buy beer?
I may consider this, it's really not that bad of a job. Just remove all trunk carpet and foam till you can see them, jack car up and take off rear wheel (do one side at a time). Then use a jack stand to place it right under the center of the rear rotor and jack it up a little bit, so it puts pressure up on the shock. unbolt shock mount from inside trunk, then I think you just let off on the jack a little bit so it lowers the shock, and you can get the nuts/bolts out from under the fender. Do same to replace. Really not hard, just a PITA.

Quote:
Hah, funny you'd mention this, you'll be proud to hear my plans.

Since moving back home (:/) I again have access to a relatives garage FULL of useful tools.

We replaced the caliper on Sunday and it is fixed.

My replacement E36 M3 Bilsteins arrived yesterday and are going in as soon as I can get to them.

I bought a Haynes manual (I know, Haynes sucks and I should use the DIY, but my gramps do)snt have wi-fi and I just need SOMETHING with pictures and information ya know? If I need more detail I'll print stuff out offline.)

I also have a low profile jack at the top of my Christmas list because the jack he has does not fit under my car so we have to pull up on the fender to get it under the jack point. Total pain in the ass, but I'm sure you don't have this problem.

Thought this one looked good, but am open to any suggestions:

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-2-1-2...p-00950165000P

This means more time for me to do my own work on my car, something I'm sure you're happy to hear.
1) Wow, proud of you for once I guess.

2) I have the same issue jacking up the car, even though I am rocking a 4x4. I have to take the cup off of my big jack, so it's just the square and that gets under the jack pad. Then I jack it up there on one side, and once it gets up a little, I can get my other jack under the passenger side pad and then the car's up off the ground. Works great! Craftsman jacks are awesome, but both of mine came from Lowe's the Kobalt kind. Been using them for years and they work great.

3) I have the 30423i4204234 page bentley manual, if you are ever doing a job and need pics from there, just tell me what you need and I can take digital pics and send them to you. Honestly, I've opened that thing like 4 times since owning my car since most of the DIY's on here are so good with the pictures and instructions. Honestly.

4) Bilsteins again? Seriously? Your best bet now is to sell them while they're new, and buy some Sachs shocks.

5) does this garage have a lift?

Quote:

1) Lowell, one of the most gorgeous towns in all of Massachusetts. Try not to get mugged on the way to class! HA.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:49 AM   #294
CJW2OO4

Quote:
Thats awesome man. I need to go back and finish my MBA just need to get work to pay for it first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzuth View Post
Really not hard, just a PITA.
Yea, I dont have tools though since I live in a condo. I could borrow mine but it might be easier for me to grab a case of beer and drive down to the florida of mass and work on it with you. Or have me and Sam come down and have a tune up day.

BECAUSE STANCE CRAP
Old 12-06-2011, 01:54 PM   #295
trizzuth

Oh, and that craftsman jack?

1) worthless junk November 30, 2011
By w8mrd of Grand Rapids, MI
See all of this author's reviews
Cons: Overall a dissapointing product.

First jack leaked oil all over shipping box. Returned for replacement, the next one kept " sinking", returned that one too.
did you find this review helpful?(Report a concern)

2) "Service jack" is a good name: needed service after only 2 uses. September 05, 2011
By lheiman of Silver Spring, MD
Pros: Low starting height.
Cons: Doesn't feel solid.,Wouldn't stay up,Not Craftsman quality,Overall a dissapointing product.,Lift height could be higher.

I bought this jack about 3 years ago for very occasional use; maybe once or twice a year. First use was OK; jacked up my Infiniti G35 and although I used jack stands, didn't seem to need them for the time needed for an oil change. It held the car up for 30 minutes without incident. The handle is a piece of junk, but at least it did its job the first time. Used it again about 6 months later to work on the exhaust system on my Saab, and this time it would not keep the car up for more than about a minute, barely enough time to get the jack stands set up. Of course, by that time, the minmal warranty had expired and Sears service could only suggest replacing the power unit, which costs almost as much as a new jack. Of course it didn't matter that I gotten only one good use out of it. Third use was worse: it was a race to see if I could get the jack stands in place before the jack came down. Most recently, I tried adding hydraulic oil and followed the air purge procedure (several times to make sure), and that didn't change a thing. After only 3 uses, it was completely unsafe and I had to throw it away. Wouldn't even hold pressure long enough to raise the jack itself, WITH NO WEIGHT, and of course wouldn't even raise the car body as much I can lift by hand. Dangerous product that doesn't live up to the Craftsman name. Buy your jack elsewhere.

3) Do not recommend 2 1/2 ton Craftsman floor jack. July 29, 2011
By GarageWeekender of North Las Vegas, NV
Cons: Wouldn't stay up,Had to return it twice within 9 months.

After only 2 uses of lifting a jeep cherokee (a car within its lifting ability) it stopped lifting so I went and exchanged it. The brand new exchanged one was lifting fine for a few times but then the little bearings in the left rear wheel started falling out. So now I'm going to exchange it for a jack with more lifting ability because this one is not holding up to perform as it should.
a DIYer
looking for durability
a do-it-yourselfer
car enthusiest
budget conscious
Practical

4) Very poor quality all-around June 02, 2011
By SRT8Man of Tampa, FL
Pros: Low starting height.,Fairly lightweight.,Still has decent lift height
Cons: Doesn't feel solid.,Not Craftsman quality,Overall a dissapointing product.,Wouldn't stay up

Received this as a Christmas gift last year, but have been disappointed with it to say the least. The jack doesn't stay up unless you turn the valve as hard as you can. The fit between the valve and the jack handle is very poor, as if they weren't designed to engage each other. And once the car is up, it starts leaking hydraulic fluid all over my garage floor each time I try to use it. Also, the plastic wheels on it are so cheap that they don't roll as the car is being jacked up...they skid, leaving marks on my floor. Oh, how the mighty Craftsman name has fallen over the years! I'm going to chuck it into a dumpster and buy another one from a reputable auto supply store.
looking for durability

5) bad product March 25, 2011
By KristineFriemoth of Cincinnati, OH

Bought this jack and will never buy another craftsman jack- this this is so poorly designed! The handle never stays on, poor lifting strength/height, no handle and the knuckle that actually makes contact with the car is small and comes off all the time.
looking for durability
car enthusiest
a do-it-yourselfer
a Craftsman devotee
a Craftsman Club Member
budget conscious

6) Craftsman low profile floor jack wouldn't stay up. March 08, 2011
By EGGPEG of Agency, MO
Pros: Low starting height.,Fairly lightweight.,Still has decent lift height
Cons: Wouldn't stay up,Not Craftsman quality

Have had my old Craftsman floor jack for over 25 years and it had served me well, but didn't want to go up the last time I needed it. Decided to get another small one rather than rush to get this one fixed. The low profile design of this one seemed to be a great idea as I remembered all the times my other one was just a little too tall to fit where I wanted it. Took it home and lifted the car and as I placed the jack stands realized the jack was slowly coming down. Pumped it back up got the stands into position, leaving the jack up and in position. A couple of hours later the jack was all the way down. Pulled the jack out from under the car, checked to make sure the bleed valve was all the closed and jacked it back up with no load and overnight it again went all the way down,
a DIYer
looking for durability
tool fanatic
a Craftsman Club Member

7) Plastic Parts on a jack...! November 14, 2010
By vmreher of Leander, TX

This jack has a cheap plastic washer that holds the ball bearings for the wheels in place. The ball bearings were falling out everywhere after only lifting a load of 400 LBS. Not to mention the hydraulic cylinder had a slow leak. Overall poor quality. I'm going to look for a jack made in the U.S.A. I'm disappointed Sears quality has slipped. I don't mind paying more for a good quality.
a do-it-yourselfer
budget conscious
car enthusiest
looking for durability
Mr. Fix it
tool fanatic
a Craftsman devotee

8) Craftsman 2-1/2 Ton Floor Jack, Low Profile single use jack. May 18, 2010
By Danthefisherman of Duluth, MN
Cons: Overall a dissapointing product.

I have gone through 2 of these jacks in the last year to year and a half. My first jack lasted less than 3 months with a total of 2 uses. I went to use it and it wouldn't even lift itself. Also, I went through air purge instructions replaced hydraulic fluid and it still didn't work. My second jack lasted around 6 to 8 uses until the metal clip connecting the plunger to the handle socket which is made of very cheap construction compared to an older floor jack i own. Which is where I found the replacement part because sears partsearch doesn't even have replacement parts for this jack so good luck if you want to fix yours. I guess I wouldn't recommend buying this jack but when it does work it is a decent jack. I feel that we as consumers should be able to buy a good jack that will be dependable when we need it to change a flat tire and not have to spend $400 to get a reliable tool. Thanks
car enthusiest
a DIYer

9) Spend the extra cash and get a full size 3-ton jack March 25, 2010
By AndrewMcDonough of Medford, MA
Pros: Fairly lightweight.
Cons: Doesn't feel solid.

I bought this jack to do basic maintenece on my car. It hasn't failed yet but when I use it it slides under the weight of my car which weights significantly less than the rating of this jack. I wish I had purchased a larger jack with more heft to it.

10) This jack is worthless garbage May 25, 2009
By MrMu of Hellertown, PA

I bought this jack on sale at a Sears hardware store. I wanted the low profile design for my wife's VW beetle. I got one good lift out of it before it broke. I lifted the front end of my car to put it on jack stands. While the car was on the jack I discovered that the jack stands I bought were too tall. So I tried to lower the vehicle using the release valve. The valve was very difficult to use for controlling the lowering rate. Once I finally got the vehicle lowered and selected some different jack stands, the jack would not lift the car again. I checked the hydraulic fluid level and found that it was very low as received from Sears. I filled it with fluid as directed and then bled any trapped air as instructed in the manual. However, the jack would still not lift, and would lower under its own weight. It obviously had a leak in the power unit. Do not buy this jack. I can't say whether it is a bad design or not, but it is definitely manufactured very poorly. The release valve has very limited control over the lowering rate. The lift plunger has so much play that it makes the low profile design of the jack virtually useless. The oil fill plug is terrible and very difficult to put back in place. The oil fill plug is painted and the paint immediately flakes off once you try to remove/replace it. Why would you paint a rubber plug? The handle grip is not well secured to the handle, so it twists when you try to actuate the release valve. Overall, very dissatisfied. If you're only willing to spend $50-$60 on a jack, buy a different model. After using this jack, I'm seriously considering saving some money and buying a higher end model.

11) Bar won't stay attached March 01, 2009
By awd86 of Unknown

I've had this jack less than a year. I needed it to fit under my lowered M3, which it did, but the handle always gave me problems. The bent bar wouldn't fit under the car, the socket it nests into deforms until you can't get leverage, and finally, the socket broke off the jack. Additionally, the jack lost hydrolic pressure a couple times and began lowering itself (good thing I had the car on jack stands). I haven't tried to return it yet, but I'm not going to get it replaced. I'm getting a different jack.

12) Leaks September 29, 2008
By pepe1 of naples..fla

i only used it was too lift golf carts and it lasted 4 months before it stared leaking fluid
Old 12-06-2011, 07:57 PM   #296
Sam 330ci

^Damn, good lookin out. Take that off the list. Whats a good low profile jack?
Old 12-07-2011, 09:19 AM   #297
trizzuth

1) Click search
2) Type in "good low profile jack"
3) Be amazed.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:16 PM   #298
CJW2OO4

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Lightning deal price 238 bucks

BECAUSE STANCE CRAP
Old 12-07-2011, 02:19 PM   #299
trizzuth

Quote:
oh man, that jack

seriously, if you want to go cheap and reliable, and HOPE you can get this under your mexiflush car (chances are probably not since i have about 1cm clearance sliding this under without the cup), you can get this, as it has the removable cup which makes it low enough to get under my jack pad, except looking at this, it is a newer design than the one I have, so no promises:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_12823-20535-...ack&facetInfo=

or This! This looks pretty awesome and super low:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_11982-20535-...ack&facetInfo=
Old 12-19-2011, 08:51 AM   #300
trizzuth

'sup.

I think the wife slammed her front passenger door so hard, and the seat belt buckle was trapped in between that she actually bent the upper frame of the door! I looked at it the other day and there was a a HUGE gap, almost looked like someone had tried to break into the car by prying at the top sharp corner of the passenger door. I ended up putting the window down and holding the door with my knee while I tried to bend it back into shape. Worked pretty good, but WTF? take it easy on the BMW doors woman, don't you know that I've already replaced at least 6 window regulators, and it's not your typical "2000 lb front oldsmobile custom cruiser woody wagon" front door that REQUIRES a tight slam to shut you know... sheeeesh.