E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-13-2011, 07:42 AM   #1
work_lol

My Ride: car
nikeplus sportband?

I've been trying to get back into running a few times a week. anyone use the nike sensor thing to track your progress? I've been thinking about getting it, but just wanted to see if anyone has it and how useful or not it is. I don't really know how it works, but it seems pretty cool.
work_lol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:38 AM   #2
Glight

My Ride: 2003 325i
Works pretty decently. I had one for a few years and it was usually accurate +/- 5%. I upgraded to a Garmin Forerunner 305 though and never looked back. You can get them for ~$120 on Ebay and they have a ton more functionality and are much more accurate.
Glight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:48 AM   #3
Ghostie

My Ride: What else?
I haven't checked out the Nike stuff in years, but I know they had some pretty cool toys back then as I'm sure they do now. The question is whether you actually NEED them to get back to running.

I'm gonna be honest with you, I like (no scratch that, LOVE) my gadgets as much as the next guy, but if you think you need a new toy to get back to running, you're most likely going to end up with a pretty expensive paper weight/door stop, in a few weeks (just check out craigslist for all the "barely used" workout gear for sale)

My rule is to never buy any new toys until I've tried out the sport in my old gear for a few weeks....(as a new runner, I ran in an old pair of crappy Sketchers for a month before investing in proper running shoes)

I'd just focus on getting back into the routine regularly first, gear later.

Also remember there are lots of tracking applications out there for smart-phones these days, I would save the $$ for a pair of shoes/shorts etc

Last edited by Ghostie; 04-13-2011 at 09:01 AM.
Ghostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:05 AM   #4
Glight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostie View Post
I haven't checked out the Nike stuff in years, but I know they had some pretty cool toys back then as I'm sure they do now. The question is whether you actually NEED them to get back to running.

I'm gonna be honest with you, I like (no scratch that, LOVE) my gadgets as much as the next guy, but if you think you need a new toy to get back to running, you're most likely going to end up with a pretty expensive paper weight/door stop, in a few weeks (just check out craigslist for all the "barely used" workout gear for sale)

My rule is to never buy any new toys until I've tried out the sport in my old gear for a few weeks....(as a new runner, I ran in an old pair of crappy Sketchers for a month before investing in proper running shoes)

I'd just focus on getting back into the routine regularly first, gear later.

Also remember there are lots of tracking applications out there for smart-phones these days, I would save the $$ for a pair of shoes/shorts etc

Great point about the smart phones. When I got my droid I ended up selling my Garmin. Just couldn't justify having a device that did essentially what my phone did (it did more, but all I cared about (accurately tracking distance) was handled by the running tracker on my phone (which I carry anyway when I run to listen to music)).
Old 04-13-2011, 07:09 PM   #5
Schrock

My Ride: Floaties
+1 on the smartphone & GPS tracking with music.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:27 AM   #6
work_lol

My Ride: car
I have a droid phone, but am a total noob on apps like this. can anyone point me in the right direction as to where I can get the app and how it works?
work_lol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:30 AM   #7
Schrock

My Ride: Floaties
Quote:
Originally Posted by work_lol View Post
I have a droid phone, but am a total noob on apps like this. can anyone point me in the right direction as to where I can get the app and how it works?
I too have the Droid. There are many free running Apps in the Market, I personally use the free JogTracker and have been pretty satisfied with it. You just turn on your GPS and it will track your progress, give you your pace and distance, and display your jog on a map. You then can upload it to their website and view all of your runs compared to each other. I would recommend it!
Old 04-14-2011, 09:47 AM   #8
Glight

I'll have to check out JogTracker. I'm currently using one called RunningTracker which is free as well and I have been pretty satisfied with it but it lacks a bit in some areas (mostly storing history).
Old 04-14-2011, 05:13 PM   #9
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: M4 and RRS (sold!)
I used the Nike+ quite a bit up until I started running in the Nike Free 5.0 and 5.0 V4 (..which, until the current Nike Free 2, didn't offer Nike+ compatibility). I like the Nike+ running system, and as mentioned above it is pretty accurate. I've never heard of JogTracker, but I may give it a try. I hate running with my phone though!

Last edited by M3Inline6; 04-14-2011 at 05:15 PM.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:12 AM   #10
cjrivera

My Ride: 2008 e93 M3 Cab
I use Runkeeper Pro for running. Excellent app. Also works well for biking.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:13 AM   #11
Darkside213

My Ride: 04 TSX daily, 01 M3
I use Adidas MiCoach. You can still listen to music but I never run with music. Just keeps me motivated and keeps me trying to beat all my goals.
Darkside213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:41 AM   #12
budman
-not a mod-

My Ride: is your mom
Send a message via AIM to budman Send a message via Yahoo to budman
I used my Nike + all the times up until my sensor died, and just haven't gotten around to replacing it, so I haven't tracked any of my recent runs. It lasted a little over a year before it died.