E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Money Matters

Money Matters
Financial, Stock, Investment etc. posts here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-13-2011, 01:15 PM   #1
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Need some investing help

I'm 28 right now and have a Roth IRA with American funds. I haven't contributed in a while and was wondering what I should do. These are my following funds:

Every automatic investment is split between these four. When I originally started this IRA I was about 23. It's gone down and up over the last few years so I don't know if I should just leave it or not.

Capital World Growth and Income Fund A

Fundamental Investors A

New Perspective Fund A

New World Fund A

I also wanted to get into investing in other mutual funds just for an extra personal account. Can you guys recommend good sites and maybe some places that I can research to determine what I should get involved in? I know a decent amount about this stuff but I never know the best sites with little to no fees and what funds to choose.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:44 PM   #2
alex1524

My Ride: 2002 Bmw 325ci
Send a message via AIM to alex1524
Dyllos, see this is what you need to do... lol jk I wouldn't know where to begin! Thanks for your advice in my post though!
Old 04-13-2011, 01:45 PM   #3
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex1524 View Post
Dyllos, see this is what you need to do... lol jk I wouldn't know where to begin! Thanks for your advice in my post though!
haha no problem. I know what people need to do I just don't know about the actual funds themselves.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:36 PM   #4
BmwMan325

My Ride: 2011 Infiniti G37s
Dyllos, Do you have a decent understanding of what these funds have you invested in? For example, are you in large cap value stocks? Small cap growth stocks? International,world or US stocks? I would start here first. This is fairly easy. Go to morning star and type in the ticker and it will tell you its allocation strategies etc. Are you familar with the morning star style box? This will help you understand where you money is. Also, you need to get a personal feel for how much risk you want to take. With an IRA, you are usually investing for the long term so you can be fairly aggressive with your investments.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:49 PM   #5
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmwMan325 View Post
Dyllos, Do you have a decent understanding of what these funds have you invested in? For example, are you in large cap value stocks? Small cap growth stocks? International,world or US stocks? I would start here first. This is fairly easy. Go to morning star and type in the ticker and it will tell you its allocation strategies etc. Are you familar with the morning star style box? This will help you understand where you money is. Also, you need to get a personal feel for how much risk you want to take. With an IRA, you are usually investing for the long term so you can be fairly aggressive with your investments.
I know a little bit about it but how do i know what is "good". One specific question i have is with fidelity. I had a 401k and it rolled into a traditional IRA when i left a previous job and I need to pick a fund to put it in.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:15 PM   #6
BmwMan325

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
I know a little bit about it but how do i know what is "good". One specific question i have is with fidelity. I had a 401k and it rolled into a traditional IRA when i left a previous job and I need to pick a fund to put it in.
As you know, your paying a mutual fund manager to beat the market. You need to see what the fund is being benchmarked against and see what the performance difference is. For example, a Large cap blend might be benchmarked to the S&P 500, morning star will tell you what they benchmark it to. If your paying a fund manager 1% investment fee to manage your money, hopefully they are out performing the market. Look at the tenure of the fund manager. Has he/she been there for a while? Do they have their own money invested in the fund? You can typically find all this information in the prospectus or the annual statement to investors.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:23 PM   #7
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmwMan325 View Post
As you know, your paying a mutual fund manager to beat the market. You need to see what the fund is being benchmarked against and see what the performance difference is. For example, a Large cap blend might be benchmarked to the S&P 500, morning star will tell you what they benchmark it to. If your paying a fund manager 1% investment fee to manage your money, hopefully they are out performing the market. Look at the tenure of the fund manager. Has he/she been there for a while? Do they have their own money invested in the fund? You can typically find all this information in the prospectus or the annual statement to investors.
thanks man. I'll look into it.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:11 PM   #8
monkeyjuice5150

My Ride: ///M3 droptop
Send a message via AIM to monkeyjuice5150
When I was 21, I started off with US bonds, gaining 2% quarterly on avg. Then at 23, I moved those bond funds combined with my work's 401k. New to the 401k, I started loosing money every month.. till I realize you really have to monitor it, not just let it sit and forget kinda deal. You have to move them into certain index monthly or you'll loose money. Alot of people do not understand the 401k system, they think its just free money and gains no matter what. I started making some good interest around 24 when I started reading up on business news more, it helps knowing what industries is going to die/grow. I end up quiting my job at 25, working at a better job, I moved all my money into an IRA with full control. I'm able to choose my own stocks, rather letting the company choose a mutual fund which takes too long to see any good money coming in. Playing individual stocks is a bigger gamble and risk, but better gains. So far I'm doing great, but I have to monitor the stocks everyday and keep up with current events and predict the future. I end up buying a house at 26 with all the money I saved on the side using American Express saving account, which had the best % interest than any other saving acc. Fully paid off, I had it rented out, with a 7% APR to the value of the home and 1% on the home appreciation annually.

My goal is to keep buying rental home, this is where it is safe.

As for IRA, play it yourself. Don't hire a manager, becuz they take a commission and mutual funds are just too slow IMO.

I have my IRA in Global Industires LTD. right now, ticker (GLBL) today gain is 1.848%. Not bad for one day.

Current event, with alot of wars going on, energy is needed. Royal, Bronco, Chevron, Union Drilling are doing great. Poeple are doubling their money. Pull out when you see a dramatic dip. There are a few US companies that are providing oversea technology and consultant to China and India because how fast they're growing per capital. Mobi apps that Apple and Driods can't get their hands on are hot in China.

Check out these company... crazy gains today. These are my favorite Index

Technology.
Qihoo 360 Tech. Co (QIHU) $29.10 +$3.45 +13.45%
Mitek Systems Inc (MITK) $5.75 +$0.55 +10.58%
Rediff.com Ltd ADS (REDF) $9.04 +$0.82 +9.98%
Synchronoss Technolog (SNCR) $33.23 +$2.11 +6.78%
Rubicon Technology, I (RBCN) $26.55 +$1.65 +6.63%

Energy.
Union Drilling Inc (UDRL) $11.64 +$1.04 +9.81%
Bronco Drilling Compa (BRNC) $10.40 +$0.75 +7.77%
Mexco Energy Corp (MXC) $12.37 +$0.84 +7.29%
Parker Drilling Co (PKD) $6.99 +$0.44 +6.72%
Toreador Resources Co (TRGL) $8.45 +$0.53 +6.69%

Telecommunications.
Sky-mobi Limited (MOBI) $14.60 +$1.59 +12.22%
Sify Technologies Ltd (SIFY) $5.97 +$0.56 +10.35%
Starhub Ltd ADR (SRHBY) $22.87 +$1.30 +6.03%
Globecomm Systems (GCOM) $13.05 +$0.55 +4.40%
VGTel, Inc. (VGTL) $9.90 +$0.40 +4.21%
Old 04-14-2011, 05:13 PM   #9
monkeyjuice5150

Use this site if you want to monitor your IRA more carefully. http://www.freestockcharts.com/
Old 04-14-2011, 05:19 PM   #10
monkeyjuice5150

Oh BTW, go hang out on 6speedonline.com. They have a better investmesnt forum and advice there. More of an older crowd with more money, and wiser there then the people here.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:57 PM   #11
DylloS

Thanks a lot man. How do I change my Ira from mutual funds to individual stocks? Is it possible to change my Ira from American funds to another broker?
Old 04-14-2011, 09:23 PM   #12
monkeyjuice5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
Thanks a lot man. How do I change my Ira from mutual funds to individual stocks? Is it possible to change my Ira from American funds to another broker?
You have to call them, to change terms, and they sent you a form to sign and sent back.

You can "roll it over" to another IRA so you don't get tax ding on your balance. But I'm not sure. I've never switched broker before. I'm with wellsfargo brokerage since I have enough funds in my portfolio do to 100 free trades per year. More than enough what I need.

Last edited by monkeyjuice5150; 04-14-2011 at 09:28 PM.
monkeyjuice5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:23 AM   #13
BmwMan325

My Roth is with TDameritrade. I just called them and said I want brokerage capabilities on my account. Like mentioned above , they just sent me some papers to sign and now I can trade stocks, options and funds.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:44 PM   #14
monkeyjuice5150

check out my GLBL thread.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:11 PM   #15
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyjuice5150 View Post
You have to call them, to change terms, and they sent you a form to sign and sent back.

You can "roll it over" to another IRA so you don't get tax ding on your balance. But I'm not sure. I've never switched broker before. I'm with wellsfargo brokerage since I have enough funds in my portfolio do to 100 free trades per year. More than enough what I need.
thanks again.

I'm in charge of the 401k enrollments at my job and know a good amount about them but today I had a 2hr meeting with a john handcock rep which is a financial advisor and financial services business owner. His company handles all our benefit needs. He's got CLU, ChFC, AEP after his name.

We talked for a while today and we got into some personal stuff for myself and I decided to go with a Roth 401K in funds that are primary high to moderate risk. Would you recommend the roth over the traditional in my case? I'm undecided what % to do. He suggested 10% but being that it's a roth it will probably be $75 less a week and I'll definitely notice the difference.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:32 PM   #16
monkeyjuice5150

Last edited by monkeyjuice5150; 04-16-2011 at 12:57 AM.
monkeyjuice5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 03:37 PM   #17
monkeyjuice5150

Wow another big gain for sky mobi. The Chinese ppl love little gadgets.

Sky-mobi Limited (MOBI) $15.53 +$0.93 +6.37%
Old 04-16-2011, 01:00 PM   #18
dynamictype

My Ride: E 350
Send a message via Skype™ to dynamictype
I agree that tech is high up there overseas especially in Korea. In regards to the Roth 401K is your limit $16500 per yr after taxes. Our TSP is giving us that option later on this year. I do agree with the 401Ks though, you have to look at them because the companies are rarely in your favor.
Old 04-17-2011, 02:42 PM   #19
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamictype View Post
I agree that tech is high up there overseas especially in Korea. In regards to the Roth 401K is your limit $16500 per yr after taxes. Our TSP is giving us that option later on this year. I do agree with the 401Ks though, you have to look at them because the companies are rarely in your favor.
I'm not sure but I doubt I'll be contributing that much anyway
Old 04-18-2011, 09:08 AM   #20
BmwMan325

I'm assuming you have a traditional 401k at work and have this Roth IRA you started on your own correct? You can contribute 16.5k to your 401k and 5,000 to your Roth.