E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-16-2011, 05:00 AM   #1
Jayp07

My Ride: E46 3.18i, E30 3.20i
2000 E46 3.18i - Horrible engine ticking but no Vanos?? See video!

Hi all,

My engine is making a horrible ticking sound as you will see here...

I had something similar not too long ago which turned out to be the water pump but this is definitely something else.

Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers.
Jason

Last edited by Jayp07; 04-16-2011 at 05:01 AM.
Jayp07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:58 AM   #2
colo330xi

My Ride: 01 330xi
Does the sound follow the engine RPM? It sounds kinda stupid, but wouldn't hurt to check that the spark plugs are torqued and that the plug wires are on tight. I've had a similar noise on motorcycles from spark plugs vibrating their way loose.
colo330xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 03:05 PM   #3
Jayp07

Thanks for the post mate, yeah the ticking gets faster as i accelerate, what are you thinking it could be? ... with regards to the spark plugs i'll take a look at this stage i'll try anything quick to eliminate a possible cause.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:44 PM   #4
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
How many miles?

Injectors also make a ticking noise, but would only be that loud if they were destroyed.

De gustibus non est disputandum.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 05:30 PM   #5
Jayp07

UPDATE: Right I took the plugs out to check for any oil... Nothing! The plugs looked very healthy. So that eliminated scored cylinders for me but that didn't provide a solution to the problem. Then I got a stoke of luck.. while the plugs were out i turned the engine over to blow out the cylinders then cleaned and replaced the plugs... NO MORE KNOCKING... whether it was the plugs or the heat shield knocking i cant be sure (im thinking one of the plugs) either way its been a full week and no more problem. Happy Days!
Old 05-28-2011, 05:40 PM   #6
new//M3fan

My Ride: 77' 924 87' E30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayp07 View Post
UPDATE: Right I took the plugs out to check for any oil... Nothing! The plugs looked very healthy. So that eliminated scored cylinders for me but that didn't provide a solution to the problem. Then I got a stoke of luck.. while the plugs were out i turned the engine over to blow out the cylinders then cleaned and replaced the plugs... NO MORE KNOCKING... whether it was the plugs or the heat shield knocking i cant be sure (im thinking one of the plugs) either way its been a full week and no more problem. Happy Days!
Nice! I've actually seen spark plugs that when tightened the ceramic end becomes loose which may let pressure out of the cylinder through it.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:53 PM   #7
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
First thing I would have said is to make sure the plugs were torqued properly, but I'm glad you fixed it.

Youtube - Electric Fan Swap - Projector Retrofit - Bulb Guide - NY to LA cross country
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 07:33 AM   #8
Jayp07

Thanks Lads! You live and learn... (i've never owned a torque wrench... i know i know, don't say it - it's a must have!).. I will repost if it comes back. For now i have to figure out why i'm losing so much water!?
Old 11-25-2012, 06:21 PM   #9
Jayp07

Hi All,

Thought I'd come back and update my thread.

The ticking came back and continued on and off for the next year or so... it got worse and worse. Thankfully I finally got it sorted:

PROBLEM SOLVED!! - 2000 E46 BMW 3.18i Saloon - Ticking Noise

I bought the following parts:
Hydraulic***65279; Tappits
Oil filter + plus the O rings etc
Oil
Rocker Cover gasket
Oil Filter case Gasket
Total 130.00

This noise has conclusively STOPPED!!! Finally!!! Happy Days!! The work took a day to do... The bad tappit that came out had about 7mm play on it meaning that you could pull it in and out with your fingers. You cannot do the same with the new ones nor the other ones that came out. That's where the noise comes from. I left the car over night then started it in the morning with fingers crossed...... No more ticking! Job Done! - 140 labour

Tags
2000, 3.18i, e46, ticking