E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Australia

Australia
Check out other E46Fanatics members rides in the Enthusist Directory!

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-18-2011, 12:22 AM   #1
steve330

My Ride: '05 330cic
Which fuel do you use?

On Sunday night on ACA they did a segment on testing the efficiency/cost of different grades of fuels.
They ran four Hyundai 4wds around a track, with variables such as weight, speed etc all controlled on 3 litres of fuel.
The four fuels tested were RON 91, 95, 98 & diesel.
As expected, the diesel went the furthest. The 98 was second, the 91 came third and the 95 last.
Although it was unexpected that the 91 would beat the 95, the big surprise was that on a cents/litre basis, the cheapest petrol to run was the RON 98! The 10% premium that we pay at the pump over 91 is more than offset by its increased range on this particular car.
Obviously, things are different in the real world and our e46s ain't no Hyundais. So who here runs their e46 on 98? Is there a significant improvement in fuel economy over 91? More importantly, does anyone have any e46-specific data on 98 vs 91 fuel economy?

On his deathbed:
Either that wallpaper goes, or I do.
- Oscar Wilde

Last edited by steve330; 04-18-2011 at 03:18 AM. Reason: Added info
steve330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:24 AM   #2
sprintman

My Ride: Ex 325CI owner
Never less than 98 RON.
sprintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 12:38 AM   #3
bobz

My Ride: 0 BMW's
No idea always run my cars on 98RON.

BobZ
Old 04-18-2011, 12:44 AM   #4
DeclanM3

My Ride: 332Ci
I've never run the BMW on anything but 98.

I drove an 85 camry daily for a couple of months (before I started to miss the bmw too much) and noticed a big difference between the 98 and 91 (roughly 10% more efficient).

DeclanM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:19 AM   #5
YGOAMG

My Ride: 325Ci ClubSport
Send a message via MSN to YGOAMG
Ye i use to use Mobil 8000 (98RON)... i now use 98 from 7/11 (as the closest petrol station to me changed from a Mobil to 7/11. Apparently they use the same fuel but )

Find me on Instagram
@PeterMarquez346

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4show View Post
who da F done that?
prestige warehouse or who?
YGOAMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:48 AM   #6
darksigno

My Ride: 318i
ive been working in service stations for 5 years now, (former manager of 2 BP sites in townsville) and the results found for the hyundai's would be very similar no matter what car was used, bmw, merc, ricers, 98 has been proven to be more efficient, last longer, and is better for the environment, it also doesnt matter which service brand you go to either as every company is allocated an amount of fuel from the controling bodies, (i.e BP 98 is the same fuel as caltex vortex 98 and vice versa) its just labelled different depending on which company you go to,

in case your wondering i now work for caltex and i have done a bit of time at mobile before BP bought them out so im not biased to any one company either
darksigno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:17 AM   #7
steve330

My Ride: '05 330cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan325 View Post
I've never run the BMW on anything but 98.

I drove an 85 camry daily for a couple of months (before I started to miss the bmw too much) and noticed a big difference between the 98 and 91 (roughly 10% more efficient).
Thanks Declan, your experience supports the figures from the ACA test.

On his deathbed:
Either that wallpaper goes, or I do.
- Oscar Wilde
steve330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:57 AM   #8
11EAS

My Ride: M3
Shell V power Only!

'04 JB/IR M3
11EAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:15 AM   #9
CortinaD

My Ride: lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by YGOAMG View Post
Ye i use to use Mobil 8000 (98RON)... i now use 98 from 7/11 (as the closest petrol station to me changed from a Mobil to 7/11. Apparently they use the same fuel but )
It is the Mobil fuel.

I only use 98 even in my coonas
CortinaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:37 AM   #10
N4NOOK

My Ride: 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by YGOAMG View Post
ahahhaha yer but now we got slurpees as well
N4NOOK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:58 AM   #11
aar0n_91

My Ride: 05 BMW325CI///MSport
98 only. used to always use shell v-power. now ive converted to bp ultimate. noticed its running smoother, as it had a rough idle with the v-power (could of been a couple of bad batches, i dunno) but consumption seems to be only marginally lower as well with the bp ultimate

BMW 325 CI ///M-SPORT INDIVIDUAL
aar0n_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:58 AM   #12
AIM.E46

My Ride: E46 323i
I personally only use BP Ultimate 98.

This is what I've found from my testing and experience:

BP Ultimate No 1 for economy, cleanliness and power.

Shell V-Power was to dirty - leaves yellow gunk everywhere and can be very unrefined. There has been articles around claiming it clogged older carburettor motorbikes etc, I stay away.

Caltex Vortex was not bad, haven't done a lot of driving on it but BP seemed better.

Mobil 800, never trusted it. old filling station, bad tanks = dirty fuel. Here in Sydney anyway.

Majority of brands that provide 91 with 10% methanols are OK but cause serious detonation in performance engines. Good for your average toyota run around shopping trolley, cheap and nasty.

RON 95 fuels...? Why bother, ether get the good stuff or don't even sweat it. Fill her up with that dirty 91 with 10% ethanol!

I never fill up at 7/11's or privately owned small timers. Just don't trust their fuel.

Keep in mind your fuel will vary in performance servo to servo, some hardly sell 98 and it sits there for ages. I always fill up where 98 is frequently used and has a fresh tank of fuel. Old fuel = less power.

Alex
AIM.E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:06 AM   #13
msbhvn

My Ride: Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksigno View Post
ive been working in service stations for 5 years now, (former manager of 2 BP sites in townsville) and the results found for the hyundai's would be very similar no matter what car was used, bmw, merc, ricers, 98 has been proven to be more efficient, last longer, and is better for the environment, it also doesnt matter which service brand you go to either as every company is allocated an amount of fuel from the controling bodies, (i.e BP 98 is the same fuel as caltex vortex 98 and vice versa) its just labelled different depending on which company you go to,

in case your wondering i now work for caltex and i have done a bit of time at mobile before BP bought them out so im not biased to any one company either
I am guessing the others that replied didnt read this, that is good info about the labeling, thanks.
msbhvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:24 AM   #14
darksigno

My Ride: 318i
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIM.E46 View Post
Keep in mind your fuel will vary in performance servo to servo, some hardly sell 98 and it sits there for ages. I always fill up where 98 is frequently used and has a fresh tank of fuel. Old fuel = less power.

Alex
this is the only difference between the fuel itself(other than the RON), but before it gets to the servo it all comes from the same place before bieng bought by your big companies like BP, Shell and Caltex, altho i had heard from some big corps while working with BP that they do add something to theirs to keep it fresher and better for the environment, not sure how true tho.

really its up to personaly choice of where you get your 98, but you wouldnt want to get anything but 98 so
darksigno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:47 AM   #15
wc325i

My Ride: stick 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11EAS View Post
Shell V power Only!
Amen to that!
wc325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:12 AM   #16
Mitch E46

My Ride: M3 Convertible
E85 race fuel

Mitch E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:18 AM   #17
Drizzles

My Ride: 1999 BMW 318i E46 4D
BP Ultimate 98RON ONLY!!! Even when the cyclone ripped through up here, I didn't take my car out till I knew that I could get some more BP Ultimate

The missus' Suzuki Swift suffered the fate of drinking some Shell 91 instead
Old 04-18-2011, 07:14 PM   #18
Nath

My Ride: MY13 Maloo
why would one use 91 when there car is tuned to 95/98?

my bmw ran better on BP where my vw runs better on shell
Old 04-18-2011, 07:42 PM   #19
Nae323

My Ride: '99 323Ci 5sp
Always 98 from BP or Caltex.
Haven't taken much notice if it's better from either company, but have a little compared to 95.

After paying around $1.70 for 98 while I was in Tassie, I'll never complain about 98 being around $1.50 at home
Nae323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:13 PM   #20
CortinaD

My Ride: lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIM.E46 View Post
I personally only use BP Ultimate 98.

This is what I've found from my testing and experience:

BP Ultimate No 1 for economy, cleanliness and power.

Shell V-Power was to dirty - leaves yellow gunk everywhere and can be very unrefined. There has been articles around claiming it clogged older carburettor motorbikes etc, I stay away.

Caltex Vortex was not bad, haven't done a lot of driving on it but BP seemed better.

Mobil 800, never trusted it. old filling station, bad tanks = dirty fuel. Here in Sydney anyway.

Majority of brands that provide 91 with 10% methanols are OK but cause serious detonation in performance engines. Good for your average toyota run around shopping trolley, cheap and nasty.

RON 95 fuels...? Why bother, ether get the good stuff or don't even sweat it. Fill her up with that dirty 91 with 10% ethanol!

I never fill up at 7/11's or privately owned small timers. Just don't trust their fuel.

Alex
The pickups in the tanks don't suck right on the bottom and most sites will have adequate tank sizing so they are regularly cycling the fuel based on demand.

Shell very unrefined? LOL
CortinaD is offline   Reply With Quote