E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Australia

Australia
Check out other E46Fanatics members rides in the Enthusist Directory!

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-18-2011, 09:38 PM   #21
MR3URO

My Ride: 330ci individual
Only ever use 98. Car runs like crap on 91. Shell V power or BP ultimate are the ones i'll use. Had bad experiances in the past with Mobil and I just don't trust independants since one in my town was found to have watered down some of their fuels.

330ci Individual
|aFe CAI and Pod filter | Koni FSD shocks + Eibach springs | 19" Matte Black CSL's | ESS tune |
MR3URO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:58 PM   #22
AIM.E46

My Ride: E46 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortinaD View Post
The pickups in the tanks don't suck right on the bottom and most sites will have adequate tank sizing so they are regularly cycling the fuel based on demand.

Shell very unrefined? LOL
Do you speak from experience? Have you seen the way the pickups are setup in different stations? Do they all use identical tank setups with same pickups? Personally I don't think so. I'm sure we have loads of old crappy stations out there (some being faced lifted for better appearance) with rusted tanks and with bad pickup which suck on the bottom. We would like to think most service stations follow your principles but unfortunately like many business out there today they are poorly managed. I think this will particularly apply to small timers and privately owned stations. How are they suppose to cycle the fuel if it doesn't sell? Could some possibly buy fuel in larger amounts to save?

As for Shell V-Power, if you do some research online you may find some information regarding older motorbikes having issues with yellowing sludge on carburettors etc. Such issues haven't been reported with cars but i personally prefer to use BP Ultimate.

As i mentioned before, the best fuel is fresh fuel.

Someone should really take some samples from each brand/station to compare quality.

Alex
AIM.E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:40 PM   #23
sprintman

My Ride: Ex 325CI owner
Am I allowed to mention the sadly departed Shell V-Power Racing 100 RON pump fuel which was around for a while?
sprintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:48 AM   #24
AussieM3

My Ride: 2002 e46 M3 SMG Coup
Where you buy your fuel is as important as to the Type of fuel. Fresh fuel is the key. So ideally you should try and buy your fuelas close to the refinery as posiibbl;e and from a high turnover outlet. With time fuel loses its octane content and They reckon that in Brisbane BP is best and Caltex in Sydney. They were the two I remembered. But really I do think there is not a great deal of differnce between the 98 ect BP, Shell or Caltex and that you will find a greater diffence it the age of the fuel rather than the brand of fuel if that makes sense.

Last edited by AussieM3; 04-19-2011 at 02:31 AM.
AussieM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:49 AM   #25
AussieM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintman View Post
Am I allowed to mention the sadly departed Shell V-Power Racing 100 RON pump fuel which was around for a while?
oh how I miss her, 100 RON was just lovely
Old 04-19-2011, 01:18 AM   #26
sprintman

My Ride: Ex 325CI owner
Maybe placebo but I'm sure mine ran far better on the 100 RON than it should have. It was probably a better fuel than 2 points in octane alone?
sprintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:36 AM   #27
[SeN]

My Ride: 2002 M3 Imola Red
Depending which way I travel home, its either BP or Shell 98RON
[SeN] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:16 AM   #28
CortinaD

My Ride: lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIM.E46 View Post
Do you speak from experience? Have you seen the way the pickups are setup in different stations? Do they all use identical tank setups with same pickups? Personally I don't think so. I'm sure we have loads of old crappy stations out there (some being faced lifted for better appearance) with rusted tanks and with bad pickup which suck on the bottom. We would like to think most service stations follow your principles but unfortunately like many business out there today they are poorly managed. I think this will particularly apply to small timers and privately owned stations. How are they suppose to cycle the fuel if it doesn't sell? Could some possibly buy fuel in larger amounts to save?

As for Shell V-Power, if you do some research online you may find some information regarding older motorbikes having issues with yellowing sludge on carburettors etc. Such issues haven't been reported with cars but i personally prefer to use BP Ultimate.

As i mentioned before, the best fuel is fresh fuel.

Someone should really take some samples from each brand/station to compare quality.

Alex
I am the CIO (8 years) for a large independent fuel company.

I said most, not all. The fuel industry is one of, if not the, most highly regulated industries on the planet and on top of that you have all the oil company requirements which make government regulations look easy. The government require reporting like SIRA, ABS, etc. That requires for the most part, daily dips of tanks & the taking of meter readings. You also have to ensure compliance with weights & measures so your metering equipment lines up with what the console is saying. The government regularly come to sites to test this and if you aren't in compliance their are hefty fines. The smaller sites you talk of are supplied by an oil company and the oil company imposes their own rules and regulations to ensure that their brand/fuel isn't going to be tarnished. Also, with the amount of money involved, those that are poorly managed go belly-up very quickly.

How much fuel are you talking about? A truck tanker holds between 30 and 35KL MAX. Most sites get a delivery at least once a week, some multiple times a week, all depending on the size of the underground tanks. They simply do not have the capacity to hold the amount of fuel you are probably talking about that would see them last - nor the capital.

98 aside as that is a special case, but go to your local terminal and check out all of the trucks that go in and out. I have a chuckle to myself when people tell me their car runs better on one brand as opposed to another.

Last edited by CortinaD; 04-19-2011 at 02:24 AM.
CortinaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:29 AM   #29
AussieM3

Quote:
I am the CIO (8 years) for a large independent fuel company.

I said most, not all. The fuel industry is one of, if not the, most highly regulated industries on the planet and on top of that you have all the oil company requirements which make government regulations look easy. The government require reporting like SIRA, ABS, etc. That requires for the most part, daily dips of tanks & the taking of meter readings. You also have to ensure compliance with weights & measures so your metering equipment lines up with what the console is saying. The government regularly come to sites to test this and if you aren't in compliance their are hefty fines. The smaller sites you talk of are supplied by an oil company and the oil company imposes their own rules and regulations to ensure that their brand/fuel isn't going to be tarnished. Also, with the amount of money involved, those that are poorly managed go belly-up very quickly.

How much fuel are you talking about? A truck tanker holds between 30 and 35KL MAX. Most sites get a delivery at least once a week, some multiple times a week, all depending on the size of the underground tanks. They simply do not have the capacity to hold the amount of fuel you are probably talking about that would see them last - nor the capital.

98 aside as that is a special case, but go to your local terminal and check out all of the trucks that go in and out. I have a chuckle to myself when people tell me their car runs better on one brand as opposed to another.
Ok now to really start a debate, Who has used octane boost before? Horsepower in can ! Personnally I have found all the octane boosters you buy in a servo pretty much a waste of money. I only ever use them now if Im stuck in a country town like Bega where the nearest 98 RON fule is 100klms away and even then it to ease my guilt of not planing my trip properly....
Old 04-19-2011, 02:30 AM   #30
darksigno

My Ride: 318i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzles View Post
BP Ultimate 98RON ONLY!!! Even when the cyclone ripped through up here, I didn't take my car out till I knew that I could get some more BP Ultimate

The missus' Suzuki Swift suffered the fate of drinking some Shell 91 instead
so your up in between townsville and cairns then?
darksigno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:35 AM   #31
AIM.E46

My Ride: E46 323i
Quote:
I am the CIO (8 years) for a large fuel company.

Well its good to hear from an expert. So for all of us here including myself who only speculate about these things, what your saying is all service stations have the same quality fuel (putting age of the fuel aside)?

I've heard we only have 1 or 2 refineries in Sydney that supply all of the service stations, is that true?

Also wanted to ask you about premium 98 fuels. Are they all the same? No matter if its BP, Shell, Caltex? Do they get their fuel all from the one place? Is it true that BP has additives in its fuel to make it cleaner etc? And does Caltex or Shell use their own type of additives?

This has never been clear to most people including myself as this information is not made available to the public.

Its so strange that a lot of people experience differences filling up different type/brand fuels. There must be some sort of variation apart from age?

Alex
AIM.E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:40 AM   #32
darksigno

Quote:
so do i, as i said earlier on, it doesnt matter where u get your fuel from its the same fuel before it reaches the depot and the company(ie.BP,Shell,Caltex)

which private company you work for? its it a private franchise or real private?(i.e locally owned and operated in one town)
Old 04-19-2011, 02:45 AM   #33
CortinaD

My Ride: lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIM.E46 View Post
Well its good to hear from an expert. So for all of us here including myself who only speculate about these things, what your saying is all service stations have the same quality fuel (putting age of the fuel aside)?

I've heard we only have 1 or 2 refineries in Sydney that supply all of the service stations, is that true?

Also wanted to ask you about premium 98 fuels. Are they all the same? No matter if its BP, Shell, Caltex? Do they get their fuel all from the one place? Is it true that BP has additives in its fuel to make it cleaner etc? And does Caltex or Shell use their own type of additives?

This has never been clear to most people including myself as this information is not made available to the public.

Its so strange that a lot of people experience differences filling up different type/brand fuels. There must be some sort of variation apart from age?

Alex
I am not an authority on the matter but I am exposed to more than the average Joe.
CortinaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:58 AM   #34
1q2w3e4r

My Ride: Madone, Beetle
Quote:
I have a chuckle to myself when people tell me their car runs better on one brand as opposed to another.
Exactly. I think its largely placebo effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieM3 View Post
Ok now to really start a debate, Who has used octane boost before? Horsepower in can ! Personnally I have found all the octane boosters you buy in a servo pretty much a waste of money. I only ever use them now if Im stuck in a country town like Bega where the nearest 98 RON fule is 100klms away and even then it to ease my guilt of not planing my trip properly....
Have you ever looked at a pulled down engine that's had octane booster ran through it? Its not what its cracked up to be, I never run it through any of my cars even those that were fairly modified.

|| 0-60 3.3| 60-130 7.1| 1/4 11.054@ 132.89 ||

Check out my movies

1q2w3e4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:20 AM   #35
johnm

My Ride: TiAg M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nae323 View Post
Always 98 from BP or Caltex.
Haven't taken much notice if it's better from either company, but have a little compared to 95.

After paying around $1.70 for 98 while I was in Tassie, I'll never complain about 98 being around $1.50 at home
You must have gone to the wrong place then. I just paid 151 for 98 today from the Caltex at Howrah, up until a couple of months ago it was 141. It's all I use now. Used to use V on the Coast but it's not available down here.

Cheers
JM
Old 04-19-2011, 07:26 AM   #36
darksigno

you guys are lucky i pay $1.65 in Mackay so my weekly driving has turned into a weekend drive and i ride now instead
Old 04-19-2011, 10:24 PM   #37
AussieM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1q2w3e4r View Post
Exactly. I think its largely placebo effect.

Have you ever looked at a pulled down engine that's had octane booster ran through it? Its not what its cracked up to be, I never run it through any of my cars even those that were fairly modified.
No I have not but I can imagine its not pretty. The sound of a pinging engine is like fingernails scratching down a chalk board. But I guess if you have no choice its got to be slightly better than 91 RON with no added booster? or is it?
Old 04-19-2011, 11:24 PM   #38
stomar08

My Ride: 328ci
mate it doesnt matter wat u put in a 318 it still aint goin anywhere or guzzlin big amounts.
stomar08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:28 PM   #39
darksigno

Quote:
Originally Posted by stomar08 View Post
mate it doesnt matter wat u put in a 318 it still aint goin anywhere or guzzlin big amounts.
u would be suprised at what difference it makes
Old 04-20-2011, 04:53 AM   #40
Nae323

My Ride: '99 323Ci 5sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnm View Post
You must have gone to the wrong place then. I just paid 151 for 98 today from the Caltex at Howrah, up until a couple of months ago it was 141. It's all I use now. Used to use V on the Coast but it's not available down here.

Cheers
JM
Most places we got fuel at were smaller towns, definitely in wrong places, we didn't stay in larger cities. Got 95 in queenstown, didn't have 98, and if I remember right that was around $1.65.