E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-18-2011, 02:07 AM   #1
Convert-ed

My Ride: 2002 330CiC 5 speed
Are all e46 hardtops the same?

HI there - are the hardtops on an M3 vert the same as those for a 330Ci vert?

Also - does anyone have photos of the mounting points on the hardtop itself? I want to make sure what I have seen is the correct top for an e46.

Thanks!
Convert-ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:16 AM   #2
-Jay-

My Ride: 06 X3 3.0i
Send a message via AIM to -Jay-
the hardtop for the M3 comes with black shadowline trim and anthracite headliner. the non-M doesn't.
the mounting points are the same.
i had an M3 hardtop for my non-M vert before and it worked fine.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:44 AM   #3
mach.schnell

My Ride: 08/2000 330Cic x2
I'd be more curious about pre and post facelift. But since a hardtop is wayyy out in orbit for me right now, I'm either too lazy or too busy to check all the model years etc. at RealOEM for part numbers (Hint...Hint...) discounting color of course.
mach.schnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:59 AM   #4
silber92

My Ride: 330CiC
Should be the same, regardless of pre or post facelift. The one I've got was originally ordered for an '06 M3, the guy I bought it from had it on his '05 ZHP, and now it's on my '03 330. Fits just fine.

Granted I need to shadowline the trim on my car to match the top though...
silber92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:01 PM   #5
ArchHibb

My Ride: 2004 330cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Jay- View Post
the hardtop for the M3 comes with black shadowline trim and anthracite headliner. the non-M doesn't.
the mounting points are the same.
i had an M3 hardtop for my non-M vert before and it worked fine.
I thought all hardtops have the same anthracite color headliner. Mine is the non-M3 top with chrome trim, but the headliner is dark grey-almost black.
ArchHibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:16 PM   #6
mach.schnell

My Ride: 08/2000 330Cic x2
Not to hijack, but I'm curious as to who would be interested in a CF hard top.

(Or is there one?)
mach.schnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:06 AM   #7
beeemerdude

My Ride: Cabrio. Stick.
Interested in above mach.schnell's inquiry, too. but I doubt there is such a thing as a CF hardtop.

Also, MORE Q's:

1. What is M3's "anthracite" ? Is that like a "rocky" feel/touch to it vs. 325-328-330's headliner which I assume is a felt-ish liner?? Sure would be nice if an M3 and a non-M3 owner either posted close-up pics of headliner, or just described a little further so us poor non-h/top wannabee owners could learn more. (There's no 'vert-hardtop owners around here in my parts.)
2. When buying a hardtop what Q's would one ask? (For a 2005, will ALL 1999-2006 work, or does, say just 2004-2006 work?, etc.)
3. I do realize that a hardtop "kit" has to be purchased from dealer, not sure what the purpose this kit entails....the "lighting" inside? And, it has to be programmed by dealer, right? (Y/N?)
4. Likely has to be painted as even within factory colour, the shade might be "off" a bit, right? (Would u try to find one that is basic BLACK or your body colour, & avoid a completely different colour?) My car is titanium, so T.Silver or black would be ok, I imagine.
5. Does the H-top scuff the painted areas on the body, even a little bit, or is there some sort of rubber that sits between the contacts?

Missed out on a nice hardtop for a measly $400 + S/H ($150) from this site or BF, can't remember......so I'm "kinda" looking, as long as I find one in good/reasonable price but more importantly, nice or mint condition.

Last edited by beeemerdude; 04-20-2011 at 03:21 AM.
beeemerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:26 PM   #8
Convert-ed

My Ride: 2002 330CiC 5 speed
OK - so it all sounds good so far ! The top I am looking at should work!

Does the M3 top have different finish to a non-M? I'm not sure what Silber92 means when he says he needs to "shadowline" his to match.

How do the rest of you store your tops when they aren't in use?
Convert-ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:43 PM   #9
Schnitzer325ci

My Ride: BMW 325ci Schnitzer
Send a message via MSN to Schnitzer325ci
Yes. All the same. One fits all.

Different Specs mean different finishes. But fitment is universal for the same series car.

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp
Genuine AC Schnitzer Pedals & Ebrake
Genuine Bi-Xenon Retrofit
BMW Dice iPod Connect
Smoked LEDs, Sides & Repeaters
Privacy Glass
Black Grills
Purple Angel Eyes
Imola Red M3 Leathers - SOLD
More to follow...

WRITTEN OFF BY SOME PUNK BYATCH!

Reppin the U.K
Schnitzer325ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:11 PM   #10
johnt1436

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeemerdude View Post
Interested in above mach.schnell's inquiry, too. but I doubt there is such a thing as a CF hardtop.

Also, MORE Q's:

1. What is M3's "anthracite" ? Is that like a "rocky" feel/touch to it vs. 325-328-330's headliner which I assume is a felt-ish liner?? Sure would be nice if an M3 and a non-M3 owner either posted close-up pics of headliner, or just described a little further so us poor non-h/top wannabee owners could learn more. (There's no 'vert-hardtop owners around here in my parts.)
2. When buying a hardtop what Q's would one ask? (For a 2005, will ALL 1999-2006 work, or does, say just 2004-2006 work?, etc.)
3. I do realize that a hardtop "kit" has to be purchased from dealer, not sure what the purpose this kit entails....the "lighting" inside? And, it has to be programmed by dealer, right? (Y/N?)
4. Likely has to be painted as even within factory colour, the shade might be "off" a bit, right? (Would u try to find one that is basic BLACK or your body colour, & avoid a completely different colour?) My car is titanium, so T.Silver or black would be ok, I imagine.
5. Does the H-top scuff the painted areas on the body, even a little bit, or is there some sort of rubber that sits between the contacts?
Let me take a stab:

1. I can try to take a close up picture of the inside of my top tomorrow. When I was looking for a hardtop I saw both versions. I don't recall there being a difference in the lining.

2. As others have mentioned, any e46 hardtop will fit any e46. The only difference is in the trim. If you'll notice, non-M3 e46s have silver metal trim around the windows. M3s have black. The hardtops have the same to match. That's the only difference I know of between an M3 hardtop and a non-M3 hardtop.

3. You do need the hardtop preparation kit from the dealer. All that does is add electrical connections so the interior lights and rear defroster work. There is no programming from the dealer. Here is the DIY I used to install mine. http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...t=hardtop+prep

4. I bought my top last December from a guy locally for a good price. Unfortunately, my car is carbon black and the top is steel gray. I drove it that way over the winter. I'll probably get it painted before next winter. No hurry now though.

5. There is rubber that seals the top to the car. However, if the top is not adjusted properly to your particular car, then some minor scratching can occur. This happened to mine, but again, it's minor. And before I put the top back on in the fall, I'll try and adjust it properly. All that involves is adjusting a few screws on the posts in the top.

I hope I've answered most of what you were wondering. The hardtop really is a wonderful addition to our cars.
Good luck.

John

2001 M3 Convertible, Carbon Black - Daily Driver
2007 328i Convertible, Atlantic Blue - Wife's car
2003 X5 4.4i - Grocery-getter
johnt1436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:18 PM   #11
Schnitzer325ci

Ver nice input from John.

I don't know about the US specs, but in the UK, the hardtop trim is either black or chrome to match your car.

The black finish is for any model which is M-Sport and the latter for all others.

Also just a bit of advice, you don't have to take it, but spraying a hardtop even when done to a high spec will still show in colour difference. Whereas buying a genuine carbon black hardtop would blend perfectly with your car.

Consider it.

Best of luck.

BMW Dice iPod Connect
Privacy Glass
Black Grills
Purple Angel Eyes
More to follow...

Reppin the U.K
Schnitzer325ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:16 AM   #12
ArchHibb

My Ride: 2004 330cic
Shot these last night, so I apologize for the mediocre lighting.

The headliner is soft to the touch and has a visible crosshatch pattern. Push-to-release doors conceal the rear bayonette latches - note the electric connections for the interior lights and rear defrost are integrated.
Front latches are flush - pushing the silver button releases the handle which in turn actuates the windshield header latches.
Pop-out suit hangers on each side.

And in case you're wondering, no, that's not it's permanent home. Just parked in the guest bedroom until I can move it to summer storage!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic1.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	401263   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic2.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	401264   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic3.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	401265   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic4.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	401266  

Click image for larger version

Name:	pic6.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	401268   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic7.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	401269   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic8.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	401270   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic9.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	401271  

ArchHibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:33 PM   #13
johnt1436

My Ride: M3
Great pictures.

And just something I thought was very interesting that I didn't know beforehand -- those flaps that fold down to reveal the handles have a slot to stow the plastic tabs that you take off when putting the hardtop on. Those tabs cover up the holes that the top's metal pins go into.

I thought that was pretty neat.

John

2001 M3 Convertible, Carbon Black - Daily Driver
2007 328i Convertible, Atlantic Blue - Wife's car
2003 X5 4.4i - Grocery-getter
johnt1436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:24 AM   #14
xdmikey

My Ride: e46 cabrio
wow john, i didn't know that either! that's slicker than owl ****!
of course i currently have no idea where my plastic pieces are
Old 04-24-2011, 11:58 AM   #15
Schnitzer325ci

OP... Thought you might be interested.

Today there is a new post from a fanatic selling his 04 vert.

He has a Carbon Black Hardtop for sale; $1500.

Check new posts section.

BMW Dice iPod Connect
Privacy Glass
Black Grills
Purple Angel Eyes
More to follow...