E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-18-2011, 10:30 AM   #1
Ghostie

My Ride: What else?
Did a foolish thing this morning

Tried to do a high intensity workout @ 5am without eating...ugh

Let's just say it ended 45mins later, with me sitting at the kitchen table trying to stay conscious while the entire room spun....

Probably one of the dumbest things I've done in 12yrs of exercising

Surely I can't be the only one who's ever done something foolish in the name of fitness?

share?
Ghostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:42 AM   #2
Glight

My Ride: 2003 325i
Had a going away workout with my buddy on Saturday before he leaves for the army.

Did our strength work and then had a little conditioning challenge.

We were about to start when he said, lets add an element of difficulty to this..... you have to pound a beer during each rest period (3 minutes).

Ended up getting a really good workout in (and getting mildly drunk in the process (5 beers in 30 minutes).

Not smart, but it was funny and a good way to send him off.
Glight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:33 AM   #3
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

My Ride: is totaled
I usually just stop and eat something because i start feeling dizzy
and knowing this i always try to eat something before working out
At least an egg or a slice of bread or a banana if i don't have tine to eat a real meal and let it digest

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Fill that hole in your soul by buying more material goods
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15286051
buy my sedan rear seats (gray leather)

sell me sedan A pillars!! (black fabric)
XKxRome0ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:53 AM   #4
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
I know of a lot of times when people workout on an empty stomach. Isn't there always a good debate on this topic? Personally, cardio wise, I never can tell the difference.

Last edited by DylloS; 04-18-2011 at 12:07 PM.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 12:03 PM   #5
speedcrazy1532

My Ride: is over
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
I know of a lot of times when people workout on an empty stomach. Isn't there always a good debate on this topic? Personally, cardio wise, I never can't tell the difference.
lol wat

Stupid story: Taking **** like stacker 2 ad protein shakes on an empty stomach after a really intense workout. Thought I was going to have a heart attack. I actually was driving when the effects hit and I pulled over and ran into a grocery store and chugged a bottle of water. Proabably one of the scariest moments of my life. This was about 5 years ago. I think there's more regulations on even the non-FDA stuff. Correct me if I'm wrong.

-Phil
speedcrazy1532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 12:07 PM   #6
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedcrazy1532 View Post
lol wat

Stupid story: Taking **** like stacker 2 ad protein shakes on an empty stomach after a really intense workout. Thought I was going to have a heart attack. I actually was driving when the effects hit and I pulled over and ran into a grocery store and chugged a bottle of water. Proabably one of the scariest moments of my life. This was about 5 years ago. I think there's more regulations on even the non-FDA stuff. Correct me if I'm wrong.
lol sorry. i meant never can. I'll go edit lol
Old 04-18-2011, 12:19 PM   #7
Ghostie

Quote:
I know of a lot of times when people workout on an empty stomach. Isn't there always a good debate on this topic? Personally, cardio wise, I never can tell the difference.
keep in mind we're talking about going ~8hrs without food here....

I can sometimes get away with it, depending on what I'm doing and how much I ate the night before.....(plus I think my pre-workout drink made it worse.....my HR was thru da roof!)

Last edited by Ghostie; 04-18-2011 at 12:30 PM.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:20 PM   #8
Ghostie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glight View Post
Had a going away workout with my buddy on Saturday before he leaves for the army.

Did our strength work and then had a little conditioning challenge.

We were about to start when he said, lets add an element of difficulty to this..... you have to pound a beer during each rest period (3 minutes).

Ended up getting a really good workout in (and getting mildly drunk in the process (5 beers in 30 minutes).

Not smart, but it was funny and a good way to send him off.
I consider this carb loading....not foolish at all

I believe XkxRomeo is on a similar workout plan, lol
Old 04-18-2011, 12:56 PM   #9
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostie View Post
keep in mind we're talking about going ~8hrs without food here....

I can sometimes get away with it, depending on what I'm doing and how much I ate the night before.....(plus I think my pre-workout drink made it worse.....my HR was thru da roof!)
What kind of workout did you do?
Old 04-18-2011, 02:32 PM   #10
bmwmck

My Ride: '00 328i 5spd
know how that feels. the wooorst
bmwmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 02:35 PM   #11
miggitymike

My Ride: e46 SEDAN
Don't rip the bong before u try to max out. It won't make u 'stronger' Trust me.. you'll see darkness before you see that Olympic bar get back on the bench
miggitymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 02:38 PM   #12
Ghostie

Quote:
What kind of workout did you do?

Old 04-18-2011, 02:39 PM   #13
bimmerchop

My Ride: spins 4
Send a message via AIM to bimmerchop
Lots of people get away just fine working out after an overnight fast and actually prefer it that way... of course this all depends on a lot of things as well. Having said that though, I for one have experimented with it and HATE IT!

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

euro.techniks

EPL | TiAL | SDR | APR | Stratmosphere | 034 | ASP | SPEC | Fidanza | STaSIS | H-Sport | AWE | H&R | StopTech | BBS
bimmerchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:01 PM   #14
Ghostie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerchop View Post
Lots of people get away just fine working out after an overnight fast and actually prefer it that way... of course this all depends on a lot of things as well. Having said that though, I for one have experimented with it and HATE IT!

Yeah I've been working out in the mornings for the last 2yrs....mostly without eating (unless I wake up STARVING, which I wasn't this morning)

This has only happened to me twice.....the other time I was on Vicoden (root canal)
Old 04-18-2011, 04:34 PM   #15
m3oneday

My Ride: FORD EXPLORER
Hmmm for my diet its kind of like the warrior diet, one giant meal at the end of the day with just some small things during the day (protein shake, fruits). I lift right after class or in the morning (6 am) with cardio 30m after, don't really see a difference on an empty stomach, never had any incidents like yours *knock on wood*.

I guess it just depends on your routine and how long you've been doing it for?
m3oneday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:14 PM   #16
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

My Ride: is totaled
Quote:
I consider this carb loading....not foolish at all

I believe XkxRomeo is on a similar workout plan, lol
Lol... Hey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Fill that hole in your soul by buying more material goods
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15286051
buy my sedan rear seats (gray leather)

sell me sedan A pillars!! (black fabric)
XKxRome0ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:25 PM   #17
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedcrazy1532 View Post
lol wat

Lol the FDA doesn't have regulations on stuff THEY DON'T ENDORSE.
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:37 AM   #18
BeRzErKaS

My Ride: 330ciC; Boosted E36
Send a message via ICQ to BeRzErKaS
Quote:
Tried to do a high intensity workout @ 5am without eating...ugh

Let's just say it ended 45mins later, with me sitting at the kitchen table trying to stay conscious while the entire room spun....

Probably one of the dumbest things I've done in 12yrs of exercising

Surely I can't be the only one who's ever done something foolish in the name of fitness?

share?
Does this phenomena have a name?

This has happened to me twice after hard leg workouts. The first time it happend it was really scary - my eyes were open but I couldn't see anything, just blackness. Head was spinning, felt like I wanted to puke. I just sat on my ass and drank water until it subsided.

Is this from low blood sugar or lactic acid build up? And what happens if you let yourself pass out?

Do you die?

BMW 3 Series - "Welcome to the club."

Supercharged E-dIrTy-6 325is 5sp
Drop Top E-sPorTy-6 330cic Step
BeRzErKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:44 AM   #19
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3oneday View Post
Hmmm for my diet its kind of like the warrior diet, one giant meal at the end of the day with just some small things during the day (protein shake, fruits). I lift right after class or in the morning (6 am) with cardio 30m after, don't really see a difference on an empty stomach, never had any incidents like yours *knock on wood*.

I guess it just depends on your routine and how long you've been doing it for?
Have you ever thought about doing this diet the opposite way. Meaning a big meal for breakfast and small meals throughout the day?
Old 04-19-2011, 10:57 AM   #20
Ghostie

lol @ what happens if you pass out? I dunno, but it did cross my mind a few times and I was trying hard not to think of it

I'm not sure if it has a name, but I know that in endurance sports there's a phenomenon known as bonking, which has happened to me a few times. You essentially go from being fine one moment, to hitting a wall the next.

But even that isn't this bad....you might get a little disoriented and even delirious, but it's mostly just falling flat on your face in terms of you energy level

Also, I've experienced the blackout feeling from doing squats before, but that usually subsides after 2 mins of just sitting down.

Last edited by Ghostie; 04-19-2011 at 10:58 AM.