E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-02-2010, 10:23 PM   #1
iansanderson

My Ride: 2001 330CiC
convertible owners - dab of super glue could save you $800 headliner replacement

Well, today was the day to replace the infamous "batwings"

for those of you who aren't familiar with them, they are the pieces of plastic that fold around the C pillar near the rear window and apply tension to the headliner while the top closes. It is really an ingenious design that is part of one of the most beautiful soft top interiors on the market... the E46.

well, to follow suit with our waterpump and expansion tank, they are prone to failure around 100K miles. both of mine were beginning to crack in the usual spots. On the left "wing", I elected to dab some super glue in the crack to keep it from breaking and ruining my headliner by poking holes in it (the usual catastrophe). it held up just fine for 6 months but I decided to buy the wings and do the job today. Here is a picture of the un-repaired right wing.

out of curiosity, I took the right one which i had "reinforced" with super glue out of the trash to simulate a break and holy crap! I cannot break this thing AT ALL. It is now freaking indestructible! It is so strong now, I can't even break it intentionally using my foot as an anchor. check the video out. it's very amateur, but you get the picture.

so, here's the fix. first of all, check your batwings for any sort of cracking. If you discover cracking, remember what happens once a batwing fails. When you lower your top, the batwing will not follow the closing sequence, and will bind and tear holes in your headliner. A replacement costs about $800 from BMW...

to apply the fix, lower the top, but pause right before the compartment cover begins to close. From here, you can see the batwings and inspect them. if you discover a crack in the bottom eyelet (very likely) grab some super glue and put a few drops in the crack then leave the top DOWN. With the top down, there is no tension on the wings and the glue can harden in the crack. give it a few hours to set, then reapply some more drops. Let it fully cure for about 24 hours, and you just saved your headliner and/or $160 plus labor on new wings. If yours are not cracked, simply put a few drops of super glue in the little channels to act as a reinforcement and prevent a nasty crack from ever occurring.

Cheat Sheet:

GT1/ISIS/MoDiC = Factory authorized diagnostic system used by BMW dealerships across the world.

NCS Expert = BMW Factory R&D programming tool available on the internet (not intended for the public and not available to the dealership network)

OEM = Genuine BMW part only available from a franchised BMW dealership.

DME = Engine Management Computer
iansanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:25 AM   #2
silber92

My Ride: 2006 330CiC ZHP
Thanks for the great write up. I keep forgetting to check these things but will definitely add this to my weekend to do list.
silber92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:29 AM   #3
00bmw323

My Ride: 00 323/91 integra RS
lol at the vid

-Jorge
All low no go
00bmw323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:44 AM   #4
i_ween

My Ride: '02 330Ci Vert
checking batwings for loss of integrity now, batman.

+1 lol

check out my astrophotography:
www.gil-galad.com
i_ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 02:32 AM   #5
Bobster

My Ride: 2002 M3
I have that problem right now and will be getting the passenger side "batwing" replaced as it has broken. Thankfully I discovered it before it did too much damage to the headliner! Not to hijack the thread, but I'm on my iPhone and couldn't figure out how to start a new thread. Any way question is some azzhole flicked a cig butt on my top while I was downtown one night. My insurance will replace the outer skin ( headliner is okay) but I was wondering if an after market top will decrease the value of the car? It is an 02 m3 vert with like 35000 miles on it and the original very good condition top. Glass is the matching tinted BMW glass...blah blah just curious if anyone has any thoughts.... Thanks and sorry about the hijack!
Bobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:45 AM   #6
BavLar

My Ride: 330Cic 5spd & 330i
Good idea. I just repaired my driver side wing last weekend. It's pretty easy if you compare to the strings on a side that is not broken. I was fortunate that the breakage did not tear through the liner even though I had lowered the top a few times while it was broken.

I wish they sold these things per side rather than as a two sided set.

For those about to take on a repair, make sure to use actual fabric glue to stick the liner on the wing. It allows the fabric to be removed from the wing for additional repairs down the road without destroying the edges of the liner.

Bobster, see if it's possible to get OEM top. If OEM, perhaps no loss of value since these things degrade over time. I would love to have a new OEM top since mine is beginning to show it's age at the edges of the folding points.

Last edited by BavLar; 11-16-2010 at 07:52 AM.
BavLar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:56 AM   #7
Bobster

My Ride: 2002 M3
Bav, thanks for the reply, newbie here and using my iPhone so....;o) but yeah the adjuster told me that the mothercorp wants 13,000 for a replacement top.... Just the skin and headliner....????? So of course they replace it with an aftermarket top, for about 1,600 :o/ When I talked to BMW in the first place, they actually directed me to an aftermarket shop in town based on cost factor, and they (the upholstery shop) were pretty reassuring that the replacement top is as good if not better than the factory top. Something about how they seal the rear glass window. The thought occured to me later that $h!t, now it's not "original" if I ever sold or just for sheer MY value! whatever. Any ways I both thank you and apologize to all at the same time for being so long winded and hijacking this thread!
Bobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 03:41 AM   #8
lynks

My Ride: 330ci cabrio
thanks for all.

Private video?
lynks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:00 AM   #9
lynks

My Ride: 330ci cabrio
reup video please
lynks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:11 AM   #10
iansanderson

My Ride: 2001 330CiC
fixed the video!

Cheat Sheet:

GT1/ISIS/MoDiC = Factory authorized diagnostic system used by BMW dealerships across the world.

NCS Expert = BMW Factory R&D programming tool available on the internet (not intended for the public and not available to the dealership network)

OEM = Genuine BMW part only available from a franchised BMW dealership.

DME = Engine Management Computer
iansanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:08 PM   #11
alibusoul

My Ride: 04 330Ci
mine broke recently... i was just thinking of using some jbweld or superglue to glue it back together instead of buying a new one, is that even possible?
alibusoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:57 PM   #12
rrgcsfb

My Ride: 2002 330Cic
Bumping for vert owners

All vert owners should check this. On my batwings, 4 of the 6 eyelets were broken and bits of plastic missing. Luckily, the rope had not worked its way out.

I reinforced the eyelets with epoxy putty, shaping it to ensure the rope still moves freely.

Big thanks to the OP for this tip. My batwings were on borrowed time!
rrgcsfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:16 PM   #13
i</3speedbumps.

My Ride: 2001 Imola Red Vert
Is it possible to buy replacement "batwings"?
i</3speedbumps. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:54 PM   #14
BABY

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330 Cic
ACK, thanks for this post, I've got a similar problem. My headliner tension rope has broken... does anyone have a picture or diagram of the correct way to rethread the rope through the headliner and eyelets? I've got a ghetto solution going on right now, and I know it's not correct. BTW I'm using black twine instead of paying the $180 or so for the complete repair kit that the dealer offers... any feedback or advice appreciated!
BABY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:31 AM   #15
BABY

Headliner tension line repair

Ok, just got this fixed, pic attached. I used black whipping twine from West Marine ($5.60) and this video (start watching at about 2:45) the whole thing took about 5 minutes (only because my thumbs are fat and I kept double checking against the other side). It's easy to push back the spring cover at the bottom to thread the line, took me a minute to realize this... Click on picture for better view. Good luck to the next person who needs this!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	headliner repair.jpg
Views:	1254
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	438547  
Old 01-09-2014, 02:13 PM   #16
moejoe

My Ride: 2004 330cic ZHP
^^ how did you determine the length of the cord? my batwings are intact except for broken strings and two eyelets missing, so i plan to repair rather than order a new kit.
moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:52 PM   #17
BABY

It's about the length of the interior portion of the vert top cover, about 30-32". You want it firm, let the spring work, but not like a guitar string!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

My BABY! 2005 330 Cic, premium & sport package, style 71's.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:24 PM   #18
moejoe

My Ride: 2004 330cic ZHP
thank you, should be doing this mini project over the weekend - will get the cord/eyelets/grommets from homedepot and sort this out.
moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:51 PM   #19
78Silvershadow

My Ride: 330ci
Just in time,

All the plastic eyelet brackets on both of mine were all cracked. Fixed with with plastic steel. It was a disaster waiting to happen.

Thanks for the tip!
78Silvershadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:18 PM   #20
Trevor330Ci

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to Trevor330Ci
What is this part number? My ****ing batwings broke. The one on the passenger side poked some ugly ass holes that hopefully I can sew up or something

01' 330Ci Vert
-Angel Eyes
-Eagle Eyes
-HID Fogs
-K&N Intake
-Refreshed Cooling System
-Smoked Wheels
-LED Interior
-(2) 10" Pioneer Subs
-JBL Audio751Watts Amp
-Kenwood 6.75" Front Mid Bass
-Kenwood 5.25" Rear Mid Bass