E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-19-2011, 09:42 AM   #1
kydspd

My Ride: 328i
Just found out I have lyme disease..

Must have had it for over a year without it being treated...

Because my left ankle/leg has been bothering me on and off for that long, which I had previously been diagnosed with tendonitis but that was all wrong..

Over the last 2 months I had been having chest pains and crazy profusely sweating at night..

Gotten bit by a deer tick this past November, but had removed it correctly and got prescribed antibiotics immediately, so it must have been a tick from way before that I never noticed..

damn these woods

Anyone else have Lyme ? Did your symptoms and or joint pain seem to go away with the treatment or does it still come back to haunt you ??
My doctor seems to relay that I should not have much concern and will be fine, I hope so..
kydspd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:46 AM   #2
AbesE46

My Ride: ToPl355 M VerT
Wow...my dad just found out he has lyme disease doctor said to just try to stay as healthy as possible and that only time would cure it. Hope u get better good luck.

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App

Flash M3 :boobs:
AbesE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:53 AM   #3
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

My Ride: Honda Civic
that must really tick you off
Old 04-19-2011, 09:58 AM   #4
speedcrazy1532

My Ride: is over
That sucks. I think I actually had that too but they put me on anti-b's before it ever escalated. My leg swelled up pretty bad though.

-Phil
speedcrazy1532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:08 AM   #5
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
Quote:
Originally Posted by simsima325 View Post
Old 04-20-2011, 11:51 PM   #6
mikeh240

My Ride: 2004 330ci
Wow, that's insane. What part of the country are you in?
Old 04-20-2011, 11:58 PM   #7
HyeWarrior

My Ride: '03 325i --> '13 GTI
Damn sperochetes

Wow
So Amaze
Much Torque Steer
Such FWDoge
HyeWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:16 AM   #8
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
pretty sure i got a tick bite this past month, but I never saw the sucker. I think it was in there for a while, under my sock. What were the symptoms other than joint pain?

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:16 AM   #9
Drew@Swift Motorworks
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: Scooty Puff Jr
who gets bit by deers?
Drew@Swift Motorworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:19 AM   #10
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
omg dude
Old 04-21-2011, 12:20 AM   #11
badfast

My Ride: A Car
How do you cure Lyme disease?
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:21 AM   #12
HyeWarrior

My Ride: '03 325i --> '13 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
Add a Corona?

Wow
So Amaze
Much Torque Steer
Such FWDoge
HyeWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:33 AM   #13
evilstar

My Ride: 633csi & 325i
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeWarrior View Post
Add a Corona?
these 2 made my night.

to OP sorry to hear.
evilstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:34 AM   #14
TayloMade[07]

My Ride: '12 Frontier Pro-4x
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewdown View Post
who gets bit by deers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeWarrior View Post
Add a Corona?
Old 04-21-2011, 12:40 AM   #15
dreamdrivedrift

My Ride: 99 M3 & 95 325i
Send a message via AIM to dreamdrivedrift
Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
Lyme disease is caused by bacteria, depends on where it invades but the general course of action is an antibiotic to attempt to kill that bad bad bacteria.

OP: I had Lyme disease a couple years back, migrated to my knees and was pretty crippling for a while, got diagnosed after my knees swelled up probably about 4 months after or so. I have had 95-100% recovery; had to get knee fluid drained, cortisol injections in the knee to reduce inflammation/pain, and antibiotic course to fight the infection. Took a while, probably 3 months or so to recover.

To answer OP's question, no I don't have any noticeable lingering symptoms from Lyme (5 years later, I am 21). I suspect that if the infection wasn't cured and inflammation continued to occur, it would cause some joint damage/wear, but since you're young, that kind of wear probably wouldn't be noticeable until way later in life. There's really no way, right now, to tell the kind of damage the inflammation that inflammation from Lyme might have caused, (well there is, but your doctor would tell you to fvck off, and it wouldn't be anything conclusive anyways), but based on the track record of clinical results, I would say that you have nothing to be worried about.

Last edited by dreamdrivedrift; 04-21-2011 at 01:29 AM.
dreamdrivedrift is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:48 AM   #16
Dvykhopen

My Ride: 02 325i sporpackag
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewdown View Post
who gets bit by deers?
Gays
Old 04-21-2011, 01:19 AM   #17
fordpwns

My Ride: GR STi
sucks bro

-Dr. F. Pwns

"bro a real university is a little bit harder than community college. let me know if you get into haas, then you'll see"
fordpwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:32 AM   #18
joeski3d

My Ride: 2000 323i
I have some friends that were misdiagnosed for years and have all sorts of complications related to Lyme Disease and the meds the shouldn't have been taking.

You'll want to check this out: http://www.snagfilms.com/films/title/under_our_skin/

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.
joeski3d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:27 AM   #19
kydspd

My Ride: 328i
Quote:
lame joke was lame. understandable though Davis, you're cooped up all day in that cubicle feeling like a complete nerd and with a stock car.
And I don't know what you're talking about I had dinner with Paul Allen 10 days ago in London.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Larry View Post
mike lowrey please... you're bender if e46 was futurama

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
omg dude
jr you're fat and insecure
Quote:
Originally Posted by TayloMade[07] View Post
and you! you're a troll and you and all your fudgepacker friends look like harold & kumar at a gay day parade

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdrivedrift View Post
Lyme disease is caused by bacteria, depends on where it invades but the general course of action is an antibiotic to attempt to kill that bad bad bacteria.

OP: I had Lyme disease a couple years back, migrated to my knees and was pretty crippling for a while, got diagnosed after my knees swelled up probably about 4 months after or so. I have had 95-100% recovery; had to get knee fluid drained, cortisol injections in the knee to reduce inflammation/pain, and antibiotic course to fight the infection. Took a while, probably 3 months or so to recover.

To answer OP's question, no I don't have any noticeable lingering symptoms from Lyme (5 years later, I am 21). I suspect that if the infection wasn't cured and inflammation continued to occur, it would cause some joint damage/wear, but since you're young, that kind of wear probably wouldn't be noticeable until way later in life. There's really no way, right now, to tell the kind of damage the inflammation that inflammation from Lyme might have caused, (well there is, but your doctor would tell you to fvck off, and it wouldn't be anything conclusive anyways), but based on the track record of clinical results, I would say that you have nothing to be worried about.
Thanks for the reassurance.. live in PA, and lyme is very prevalent around here.. there are deer like everywhere..

Other symptoms i was having are the inflammation, messed up circulation with blood flowing excessively to my extremities, feelings of great anxiety/depression and bouts of anger, the chest pains was my hearts beating off rythm at times, headaches, all joints "snapping" much more so than before, didn't feel as if my energy levels where much lower, but definitely my stamina was off. It's not cool.
I've always taken precaution to make sure that I wouldn't get it, checked whenever was in/around woods, and have found deer ticks on me- just always got the antibiotics so I find it weird that I have it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeski3d View Post
I have some friends that were misdiagnosed for years and have all sorts of complications related to Lyme Disease and the meds the shouldn't have been taking.

You'll want to check this out: http://www.snagfilms.com/films/title/under_our_skin/
Thanks Joe. yea doctors couldn't figure out why the anti-inflammatory meds were not helping what they thought was tendonitis in my left ankle
kydspd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:48 AM   #20
dreamdrivedrift

My Ride: 99 M3 & 95 325i
Send a message via AIM to dreamdrivedrift
Quote:
Originally Posted by kydspd View Post

Thanks for the reassurance.. live in PA, and lyme is very prevalent around here.. there are deer like everywhere..

Other symptoms i was having are the inflammation, messed up circulation with blood flowing excessively to my extremities, feelings of great anxiety/depression and bouts of anger, the chest pains was my hearts beating off rythm at times, headaches, all joints "snapping" much more so than before, didn't feel as if my energy levels where much lower, but definitely my stamina was off. It's not cool.
I've always taken precaution to make sure that I wouldn't get it, checked whenever was in/around woods, and have found deer ticks on me- just always got the antibiotics so I find it weird that I have it..

Thanks Joe. yea doctors couldn't figure out why the anti-inflammatory meds were not helping what they thought was tendonitis in my left ankle
Yeah, I'm not sure why they would think tendonitis with such a widely-spread range of symptoms. I'm not even in med school and I know that....I don't think that all your symptoms that you listed are attributable to Lyme, but some of them definitely are. Since they already tested for Lyme (basically the test works by finding out your body is reacting against the bacteria), you can be pretty certain it's Lyme disease. Anxiety/depression/headaches may or may not be able to be explained by the decrease in stamina from Lyme..dunno just talking out of my ass on that one. But yeah...about your antibiotics stuff; they don't always work. Think about them as generalized bacteria killers (they are not, but can be thought of in this example as such); if it kills 90% of the bacteria it sees, but 90% of your bacteria are bad, when the antibiotics leave your system, there are 9% of bad bacteria and 1% of good bacteria, leaving the good bacteria at a disadvantage to repopulate. This is a really basic approach and is not usually true, but will help you understand a little bit about why antibiotic treatment doesn't always work.