E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-18-2011, 10:10 AM   #1
dlucy

My Ride: 1999 E46 328i sedan
Dual mass flywheel - too much movement?

Following the excellent DIY articles here and at pelicanparts.com, I'm halfway through a clutch replacement... but I've run into a dilemma.

My 1999 328i sedan has just over 250,000 miles, so when the clutch pedal started vibrating and the clutch started shuddering, I wasn't surprised. Happy, actually that it had lasted so long. By the time I could put the car up on jacks to start the replacement, I could hear slipping/grinding/sliding noise when in neutral.

Looks like I have a self-adjusting LUK clutch, so ordered a clutch super kit from Pelican. I get everything pulled out only to find the clutch is fine: the pressure plate looks good, there is 1/16" of material left both sides of the clutch plate and the flywheel surface looks fine.

So where is the shuddering and noise coming from? The throwout bearing is kaput; its internal bearing are noisy and roaring when you spin it by hand. But the thing that really threw me was the flywheel. It moves. The two halves of the flywheel rotate a bit. I thought they actually clicked as I was spinning them on the crankshaft, but that turned out to be wrong.

So, I've got this flywheel with a good surface and no indication of problems other than it moves some. Everything tells me this is a dual mass flywheel and it SHOULD move some.

How do I tell if it's OK? That its movement is tolerable? I don't want to buy a new one, but I don't want to button this all back up only to have to pull it apart again.

Help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0587_post.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	400746   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0588_post.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	400747   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0589_post.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	400748   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0590_post.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	400749  

dlucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:41 AM   #2
Eric Giles

My Ride: 2001 325i
Send a message via AIM to Eric Giles Send a message via MSN to Eric Giles
Yes, a dual mass flywheel is made of two pieces that are joined together, and they are designed so that there is some movement between them. I cannot remember the exact amount allowed, but I have seen around a 1/4" or so before with no issues-even a touch more and it would be fine. However, the surface of your flywheel does not look good. Take some relatively fine grit sandpaper and go to work on it, roughing it up some and removing the buildup that is there. You very likely could do that and use it again and it would be fine-however, after 250k miles, it would probably be a good idea to just bite the bullet and replace it to be safe. As you said, you don't want to have to do this job twice. The general rule is that a flywheel will last thru two clutch replacements. At 250k miles, that would probably be same time period relatively speaking.

Tags
clutch, dual mass, flywheel, sac