E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2011, 10:43 AM   #81
TayloMade[07]

My Ride: '12 Frontier Pro-4x
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
Knife to the throat, slice it open and let it bleed out. Another shot and you risk damaging the meat or the potential mount. There's also the chance that another bullet won't kill it.
qft
Old 11-09-2011, 10:44 AM   #82
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Knife to the throat, slice it open and let it bleed out. Another shot and you risk damaging the meat or the potential mount. There's also the chance that another bullet won't kill it.
I'm not really wanting to mount it, but point taken. I guess that's where my new ka-bar could come in handy

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:46 AM   #83
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
Since I've only been deer hunting once before (and didn't kill anything), what do you do if you shoot the deer and it doesn't die? As in, if you make a shot, it runs and collapses and is still alive as you approach it? Shoot it again, I'm assuming, but where and what is the ideal method? Handgun, rifle, etc?
I've only had that happen once personally, but it does happen. A couple of rounds of .40 S&W to the back of the head did the trick. It was flopping too much for any knife work in my case.

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:20 PM   #84
Ghostie

My Ride: What else?
Quote:
Knife to the throat, slice it open and let it bleed out. Another shot and you risk damaging the meat or the potential mount. There's also the chance that another bullet won't kill it. On a related note: When I shot my 2nd deer, I slipped and shot it through the throat. It dropped immediately but when I peeled back the skin ALL of the blood came pouring out; it was pretty intense.
can you do this to birds as well? I'm honestly more comfortable with that, than trying to wring its neck (which I consider more painful)
Ghostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:27 PM   #85
Chris3Duke

Just don't get the hunting culture. I mean, I guess I don't have a problem with it, but it seems so barbaric.

I grew up fishing, and never really even liked that. I love being outdoors, hiking, skiing, etc, and enjoy animals. I'd just rather shoot them with a camera than a gun.

I take my toddler daughter for walks in the woods, and we point out deer, squirrels, birds, etc. Totally harmless creatures. And yet it's a weird thought that other people's instinct is to want to shoot them.

I'm no vegetarian, and I understand cows and chickens are harmless too. But I'll pay someone else to do my dirty work, I guess. I'd rather not be involved. Hunting is about the last way I can think of I'd choose to spend my leisure time.
Chris3Duke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:28 PM   #86
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostie View Post
can you do this to birds as well? I'm honestly more comfortable with that, than trying to wring its neck (which I consider more painful)
I've never done it, but it does have a throat so you could try it. Honestly man popping the head off takes no effort/time at all; it's over in less than a second. Hold the body, pinch loosely just under the head and pull up. Or you can just hold under the head and swing the body around, this will keep the head intact and sever the spinal cord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris3Duke View Post
Just don't get the hunting culture. I mean, I guess I don't have a problem with it, but it seems so barbaric.

I grew up fishing, and never really even liked that. I love being outdoors, hiking, skiing, etc, and enjoy animals. I'd just rather shoot them with a camera than a gun.

I take my toddler daughter for walks in the woods, and we point out deer, squirrels, birds, etc. Totally harmless creatures. And yet it's a weird thought that other people's instinct is to want to shoot them.

I'm no vegetarian, and I understand cows and chickens are harmless too. But I'll pay someone else to do my dirty work, I guess. I'd rather not be involved. Hunting is about the last way I can think of I'd choose to spend my leisure time.
If anything, look at it as skill to keep in your reserves in case you need it one day. I would rather be shooting them with my camera too but I like the fact that I could procure my own meat if I needed to.

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?

Last edited by cowmoo32; 11-09-2011 at 12:30 PM.
cowmoo32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:30 PM   #87
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:

Look up the term Conservationist in reference to hunting, and it seems a lot less barbaric. A responsible hunter eats what he kills, doesn't poach, doesn't hunt to the point of dangerously thinning the population and dispatches the animal in the quickest method possible (this includes no intentional gut shots, only taking a shot when you are confident that the shot will kill, etc.).

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:32 PM   #88
Penguin Koolaid
Banned

My Ride: Inline Six
Does fishing conut? I can do that.
Penguin Koolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:47 PM   #89
Chris3Duke

Quote:
If anything, look at it as skill to keep in your reserves in case you need it one day. I would rather be shooting them with my camera too but I like the fact that I could procure my own meat if I needed to.
I thought of that, but realistically, it seems that something like knowing what kind of plants are edible would be way more useful. I mean, we've talked about how hard it can be to take a deer, right? Realistically, I would think if you're camping/lost in the woods, plane crash in a national forest, etc., then basic survival skills accompanied by edible plants, and maybe fishing, would be the most important.

How to shoot quail with a shotgun or deer with a rifle would seem less so.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:49 PM   #90
Chris3Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
Look up the term Conservationist in reference to hunting, and it seems a lot less barbaric. A responsible hunter eats what he kills, doesn't poach, doesn't hunt to the point of dangerously thinning the population and dispatches the animal in the quickest method possible (this includes no intentional gut shots, only taking a shot when you are confident that the shot will kill, etc.).
No, I totally get that. Certainly people go to a lot of effort to show respect for the animal, and be as humane as possible. I respect that.

But I still have to see the culture and ask myself "why"? I think it's how you grew up. I think hunting is tradition, and, as mentioned, culture. My father, his father, and so forth before them were all hunters. He chose not to pass that on to me, and I have to think there must have been a reason (he did take me fishing an absolute ****-ton, though).
Old 11-09-2011, 12:52 PM   #91
///MACHINE

My Ride: is an immigrant
I hunt.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:55 PM   #92
brew

My Ride: Sequoia X5 MR2 G20
Quote:

It's like golf - you're in a beautiful place with good friends, everyone has to be quiet so you actually get to enjoy nature in peace, and you periodically get that perfect shot that feels so good. Plus you wind up with cheap all-natural meat and you're doing your part to keep the animal population healthy.
brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:56 PM   #93
cowmoo32
drunken science

Quote:
I thought of that, but realistically, it seems that something like knowing what kind of plants are edible would be way more useful. I mean, we've talked about how hard it can be to take a deer, right? Realistically, I would think if you're camping/lost in the woods, plane crash in a national forest, etc., then basic survival skills accompanied by edible plants, and maybe fishing, would be the most important.

How to shoot quail with a shotgun or deer with a rifle would seem less so.
Speaking from my personal experience, shooting a deer isn't difficult at all.

flickher

Old 11-09-2011, 01:00 PM   #94
TSR6

My Ride: Keg Sled
Quote:
Speaking from my personal experience, shooting a deer isn't difficult at all.
The process of pulling the trigger - no...

It's everything leading up to it that's tough:

-Stalking
-Preparing a tree stand
-Enduring the cold ( I hunt in Wi )
-Staying still & quiet
-Turning/standing up to make the shot without the deer seeing you

Pulling the trigger is easy... "Hunting" isn't always though...
Old 11-09-2011, 01:04 PM   #95
cowmoo32
drunken science

Again, I'm only speaking from my experience, but the only time I set out to kill a deer I came back with 2 in the same day. Same goes for dove, you don't even have to try to hunt them. Turkey on the other hand, I've seen plenty but never got close enough to take a shot.

flickher

Old 11-09-2011, 01:06 PM   #96
jacques chirac

My Ride: Cheese smellin' feet
I hunt. Because that's my name.

Smelly Cheese FTMFW
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
:lmao: your posts are the best
jacques chirac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:10 PM   #97
Chris3Duke

Quote:
Again, I'm only speaking from my experience, but the only time I set out to kill a deer I came back with 2 in the same day. Same goes for dove, you don't even have to try to hunt them. Turkey on the other hand, I've seen plenty but never got close enough to take a shot.
Totally confused. I thought people are talking about going out all season and only getting two.

My assumption is that when hunting deer, 90% of the time you sit in a blind all day and walk home empty handed.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:11 PM   #98
Chris3Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew View Post
It's like golf - you're in a beautiful place with good friends, everyone has to be quiet so you actually get to enjoy nature in peace, and you periodically get that perfect shot that feels so good. Plus you wind up with cheap all-natural meat and you're doing your part to keep the animal population healthy.
This sounds very logical. Seriously. I also recognize that predation, even by man, is natural, and without hunting (again, by other animals or humans) a bunch of those cute cuddly animals would just die of starvation or disease.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:15 PM   #99
cowmoo32
drunken science

Quote:
Totally confused. I thought people are talking about going out all season and only getting two.

My assumption is that when hunting deer, 90% of the time you sit in a blind all day and walk home empty handed.
It all depends on what you're after. A more seasoned hunter will let plenty of potential kills go to get the one he's after. That day, I was after any deer I saw and I wasn't being picky.

flickher

Old 11-09-2011, 01:17 PM   #100
TayloMade[07]

My Ride: '12 Frontier Pro-4x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Koolaid View Post
Does fishing conut? I can do that.
to me, fishing is fishing, hunting is hunting.... the deer/moose/elk/bear that get shot are usually baited to a certian area, while your in your blind/tree stand, animal walks up.. and POP. down he goes, as long as you are quiet - the animal has no idea whats going on, he's just minding his own business...

now fishing on the other hand, you bait the fish, but you basically give them the choice, to eat or not - the fish know what they are doing - it is the fishs fault if he gets stuck to my hook or not hahah. netting fish is more like hunting fish.

imo

clear as mud?