E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-26-2014, 01:39 PM   #1
BimmerbrOday

My Ride: 330ci Sport Package
Xenon bulb in non xenon housing?

Hey guys, I got in a wreck about a week ago and the headlight on my car was damaged, mainly the housing, none of the electrical/bulb were damaged so yesterday I ordered a new lens, upper/lower trim, etc.. But the body shop is telling me now the rear housing (the housing the bulb sits in) is broken and needs to be replaced.. Will a factory xenon setup fit in a factory halogen housing?
Btw I have the single xenon, not bi-xenon.

EDIT:
Just an update for if anyone who wants this done as well: the inside shrouding for factory xenon lights CAN be transferred if it is not broken. This is the piece that holds the projector's lens and bezel along with the high beam reflective panel all in one piece. It can be removed and retrofitted into a factory halogen housing. Keep in mind this is for a 2001 E46 which, I believe, is the only model that has the single xenon (2.5in) versus the 02-05 E46 with bi-xenon (3.0in) they look almost identical but are different. Although, I don't think that affects the ability to swap it out. I could be wrong, though.
BTW: I didn't know this so maybe someone else will be enlightened as well, Bi-Xenon means that the xenon lens functions as high AND low beam whereas the regular xenon is only low beam. It has nothing to do with amount of bulbs.
These answers may be news to you or it may be redundant blabber. Either way, I hope it helps someone! Happy driving folks!

Treat your BMW the way you would want to be treated.

Last edited by BimmerbrOday; 02-27-2014 at 02:04 AM.
BimmerbrOday is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:43 PM   #2
jcns

My Ride: California
no.
it's illegal in many states.
Oh, you'd be a major d-bag if you put HID in halogen housing.
jcns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:45 PM   #3
white46

My Ride: e46 323ci
no it won't fit. different bulb type.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:51 PM   #4
BimmerbrOday

I know the bulb is different. I'm saying that only the housing it self is broken so if I were to buy a halogen housing and transfer everything from my original headlight to that one would it work? I guess my ultimate question is: are the entry ports for the rear of the housing the same on both? Here is a pic of RealOem's diagram of both. Xenon on the right Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1393444265.354366.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	197.3 KB
ID:	547997

Old 02-26-2014, 01:55 PM   #5
Tangent_

My Ride: '01 330i
You mean transfer the projector assembly into the halogen housing? I can't imagine that would be time/cost effective unless you had the halogen housing sitting around, your insurance was balking at buying the proper housing, and you couldn't afford to buy the right one now... If you're suggesting getting the HID bulb to fit into the reflector housing, don't do it. Whether or not you can make it fit it's illegal and obnoxious as hell; you'll blind all oncoming traffic.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:02 PM   #6
BimmerbrOday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent_ View Post
You mean transfer the projector assembly into the halogen housing? I can't imagine that would be time/cost effective unless you had the halogen housing sitting around, your insurance was balking at buying the proper housing, and you couldn't afford to buy the right one now... If you're suggesting getting the HID bulb to fit into the reflector housing, don't do it. Whether or not you can make it fit it's illegal and obnoxious as hell; you'll blind all oncoming traffic.

Oh yeah.. That's true. I forgot about the difference in reflective properties. Man, I'm just really trying to avoid dishing out the +$1,000 for this darn headlight and I absolutely will not downgrade to halogen.. I'm going to try and see if the housing is fixable, from what I remember it wasn't damaged that bad. It was really just the lens/trim peices.
If anyone has any ideas/suggestions, they're more than welcome!

Old 02-26-2014, 02:11 PM   #7
Tangent_

My Ride: '01 330i
You can always go aftermarket. Roughly $400+ for the pair of complete headlights depending on the options you get... http://www.khoalty.com/bmw-e46-depo-...eadlights.html Mine are aftermarket and have been great.

Last edited by Tangent_; 02-26-2014 at 02:11 PM.
Tangent_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 02:14 PM   #8
haurelio

My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i
As far as i know. Bosch and Al internal can be swapped with no problems.. It doesnt matter wether is bixenon or single xenon..

Also can code your car
haurelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:01 AM   #9
BimmerbrOday

Just an update for if anyone who wants this done as well: the inside shrouding for factory xenon lights CAN be transferred if it is not broken. This is the piece that holds the projector's lens and bezel along with the high beam reflective panel all in one piece. It can be removed and retrofitted into a factory halogen housing. Keep in mind this is for a 2001 E46 which, I believe, is the only model that has the single xenon (2.5in) versus the 02-05 E46 with bi-xenon (3.0in) they look almost identical but are different. Although, I don't think that affects the ability to swap it out. I could be wrong, though.
BTW: I didn't know this so maybe someone else will be enlightened as well, Bi-Xenon means that the xenon lens functions as high AND low beam whereas the regular xenon is only low beam. It has nothing to do with amount of bulbs.
These answers may be news to you or it may be redundant blabber. Either way, I hope it helps someone! Happy driving folks!

Old 02-27-2014, 08:12 AM   #10
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Correct on the bi-xenon. When activated a shutter goes up to allow the projector to act as a high beam as well. Think of it like half a moon vs a full moon
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote