E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-21-2011, 01:12 PM   #1
CrazyOneToo

My Ride: 1999 328i 4dr
Oil leak related to a stopped up PCV valve???

I originally had an issue with my 1999 328i E46 dying on rather cold mornings. It never does it in warm or hot weather so I wasnt really worried about it. It would idle for a bit then die. After I restarted it it ran just fine. I have not noticed any rough idle or misfires. It may have had them but I just didnt notice. Recently I noticed a drop of oil here and there under the car. When I took it to my mechanic he at first thought maybe a rear main seal leaking due to it being at the rear of the engine. He removed the under cover, cleaned it pretty good and drove it some but it leakes so lilttle he says he cant tell for sure. Its not running out enough to have blowback on the trans or any other parts. Sorta implying it only does it when the car is stopped. IDK. He now says it could be this PCV valve stopped up and forcing oil out at times from building up pressure. Sounds logical to me since pressure need to escape somewhere. But I'm no mechanic!!!! I trust this guy but no one is perfect.

He gave me a price of $400 for (parts from BMW) and his labor. He said something about that also includes a hose in there somewhere. I'd prefer to do it myself if its not to hard. The rear main seal is a whole other story tho. lol

Thoughts on this being the problem???

Thanks
Alan

1999 328i E46 with a M52TU - 2002 X5 E53 3.0i with a M54

AutohausAZ.com/

Last edited by CrazyOneToo; 04-30-2011 at 12:50 PM.
CrazyOneToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:21 AM   #2
CrazyOneToo

Wow No suggestions at all???

AutohausAZ.com/

Old 05-24-2011, 06:41 AM   #3
Sansho

My Ride: 2001 325i
The CCV itself can get plugged up and the dipstick drain from the CCV can get clogged up too. I recently had an oil leak and determined it was the oil pan gasket, which I replaced. The only other oil leak that pops up is the oil filter housing, which is in front of the CCV valve. I don't recall hearing anyone who posted about a rear main seal leak, although I'm sure that can happen.

The CCV parts can be bought from a discounting BMW dealer for under $150. Several have kits where they've put the parts together. Replacement is involved, but doable for the home mechanic. Here's the DIY I used: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=417819
Old 05-26-2011, 12:32 AM   #4
CrazyOneToo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansho View Post
The CCV itself can get plugged up and the dipstick drain from the CCV can get clogged up too. I recently had an oil leak and determined it was the oil pan gasket, which I replaced. The only other oil leak that pops up is the oil filter housing, which is in front of the CCV valve. I don't recall hearing anyone who posted about a rear main seal leak, although I'm sure that can happen.

The CCV parts can be bought from a discounting BMW dealer for under $150. Several have kits where they've put the parts together. Replacement is involved, but doable for the home mechanic. Here's the DIY I used: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=417819
Is a CCV the same as a PCV? Mine just drips a drop maybe two when driven then parked.
It doesnt keep running out over time. Wow looked at that DIY...I am not near that mechanically inclined.
Oil change, brakes, minor stuff yeah. LoL

Alan

AutohausAZ.com/

Old 05-26-2011, 06:32 AM   #5
Sansho

My Ride: 2001 325i
ccv=pcv
Old 06-09-2011, 11:29 AM   #6
CrazyOneToo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansho View Post
ccv=pcv
Thanks.
I'll weigh my options and decide what to do.
Of course I am wanting to start with the least expensive fix first.

Alan

AutohausAZ.com/