E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-22-2011, 12:22 PM   #1
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Thinking of doing more eccentric training than concentric?

I never really did it until this week on a few exercises. I just read up about it and it seems like a good idea.

I asked a question a few weeks ago about doing if for pull ups so I tried it and I'm still a little sore from Monday. Basically I just jumped up and lowered myself very slowly. I did close grip palms in, palms out, wide etc. I also did it yesterday for shoulders when I did front raises and side raises. I just held the weight up for about 4 seconds then lowered it slowly. I don't think I ever really felt that burn.

Good idea/Bad Idea?

My idea was to do the first set normal then the sets after that with a eccentric concentration.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/goulet4.htm
http://www.istadia.com/article/ShadowFit/139

Last edited by DylloS; 04-22-2011 at 12:34 PM.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:41 PM   #2
DME46

My Ride: has free candy.
It can't hurt.

I like to vary my workout routine, alternating between eccentric/concentric is included in switching it up.

embrace this moment
remember
we are eternal
all this pain is an illusion
DME46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:09 PM   #3
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
Most people dont know that Eccentric muscle movements are better for building muscles than con. When I see people at the gym Benching, and when they lower the weight down, they almost let it fall from gravity and bounce off their chest so they really only push it about half the way of a normal rep.

I'd say once a week or maybe every other workout try adding in some negatives and see if you notice any difference. I used to do negatives for db curl and reverse bb curls, but since I herniated my disc, I refuse to do anything like that where my core would be unsupported and back exposed.

Try doing-
Negative flat bench
Negative pullups
Negative db concentration curls
Negative bb reverse curls. (also works a good bit of forearms)
Negative tri pushdowns
Etc.

Actually just work more on eccentric muscle movements when working out, and make sure you are not just letting the bar drop after you curl up or something.
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:59 PM   #4
m3oneday

My Ride: FORD EXPLORER
Pretty sure negatives do wonders, I can't really do many pullups so I would do as many as I can regularly, then do as many negatives after. I could probably do 3 reps in 1 set, and do like 6-7 sets, its been like 2-3 weeks I can do like7-8 reps in 1 set, and do like 3-4 sets. So pretty sure negatives definitely do help. I definitely am going to keep adding days where I do them.
m3oneday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:31 AM   #5
DylloS

Thanks guys. It is funny how little people ever do it. I remember years ago I was watching a talk show and I forget who was on it but he mentioned how much muscle he gained from doing workouts like these. I'll definitely start doing it.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:56 PM   #6
Schrock

My Ride: Floaties
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
Thanks guys. It is funny how little people ever do it. I remember years ago I was watching a talk show and I forget who was on it but he mentioned how much muscle he gained from doing workouts like these. I'll definitely start doing it.
Well, sort of. People dont necessarily ISOLATE eccentric contractions regularly, but if your form is fluid and you move the weight around properly, you are actually always performing eccentric contractions while working out.

I don't isolate hardly ever, but I definitely concentrically contract explosively and then slowly return the weight during the eccentric phase, always in control of the weight. It's probably just a placebo thing, but during workouts I kind of feel like it really does tear at the muscle more.

Lastly, textbooks and studies attribute hypertrophy in direct correlation to eccentric contractions. But because the sliding filament theory (theory of how muscles contract) is just that- still a theory in science, nobody knows 100% for sure. Best way to find out is to do it for yourself, put the theory to test.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:01 PM   #7
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrock View Post
Well, sort of. People dont necessarily ISOLATE eccentric contractions regularly, but if your form is fluid and you move the weight around properly, you are actually always performing eccentric contractions while working out.

I don't isolate hardly ever, but I definitely concentrically contract explosively and then slowly return the weight during the eccentric phase, always in control of the weight. It's probably just a placebo thing, but during workouts I kind of feel like it really does tear at the muscle more.

Lastly, textbooks and studies attribute hypertrophy in direct correlation to eccentric contractions. But because the sliding filament theory (theory of how muscles contract) is just that- still a theory in science, nobody knows 100% for sure. Best way to find out is to do it for yourself, put the theory to test.
I definitely feel like I never really focused on the negative part of a rep. I would always use all my power on getting the weight up. I'll definitely try to focus more.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:01 PM   #8
m3oneday

My Ride: FORD EXPLORER
Yeah definitely try to go really slow on the way back down, like for curls or bench, even pullups like you said. I agree with Shrock I definitely feel more of a "tear" when I go dont just drop the weight back down on the ground or just drop myself after I'm finished with a pullup.
m3oneday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:16 PM   #9
DylloS

just finished a chest back workout with primarily eccentric movements. Pretty tough workout. I did regular pushups, wide pull ups, military pushups (arms close to body) palms in pull ups, wide armed push ups, close grip palms in pull ups. Then repeated.

I did about 5-7 reps on each push up set, and 3-4 very slowly lowering pull ups. I guess they were more like let downs than pull ups.

Took about 30 minutes and was almost non stop. I took a few seconds rest in between each push up and pull up set.

For each push up I lowered for about 4 seconds and pushed up fast, and for every pull up I lowered for about 8 seconds and couldn't really pull myself up so I let go and jumped up again and lowered again.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:00 PM   #10
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
Are you just focusing on body weight stuff? Or was that just the things you did negatives on?
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:04 PM   #11
bAby norAA

My Ride: 01 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DME46 View Post
It can't hurt.

I like to vary my workout routine, alternating between eccentric/concentric is included in switching it up.
actually it can. Obivously with most concentric movments there is an opposite eccentric movement (some exceptions apply), but continually focusing on the eccentric motion too much causes a lot of stress on your CNS. One way to over train would be heavy eccentrics at a high volume and/or frequency.

While eccentric movements can benifit every lifter, they can be overdone easily.

| VF Supercharged Stage 1.5| Southbend Stage 2 Clutch | ZHP Cams | Technik Headers |
bAby norAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:15 PM   #12
Glight

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bAby norAA View Post
actually it can. Obivously with most concentric movments there is an opposite eccentric movement (some exceptions apply), but continually focusing on the eccentric motion too much causes a lot of stress on your CNS. One way to over train would be heavy eccentrics at a high volume and/or frequency.

While eccentric movements can benifit every lifter, they can be overdone easily.
Agreed. Good post. Just add them in slowly and be careful of getting overtrained.
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:17 PM   #13
DME46

My Ride: has free candy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bAby norAA View Post

That's why I mentioned the varying part.

I do two weeks of heavy lifting, high weight, low reps.

One week of lighter weight, more reps.

One week of middle heavy weight where I am just completely focused on giving my eccentric motions the same if not more attention than I would my concentric motions.

You damage the muscle fibers more during the eccentric motion, which leads to greater muscle growth. I have never felt as sore as I do when I focus on eccentric motions. Over training has never been an issue for me, you have to understand your body. Proper nutrition from meals, supps, and sleep allows your body to do more than you think.

You need to switch up your workouts, or you will plateau.

embrace this moment
remember
we are eternal
all this pain is an illusion
DME46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:37 PM   #14
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Matt View Post
Are you just focusing on body weight stuff? Or was that just the things you did negatives on?
That's what the p90x chest and back workout is. Almost all pullups and push ups