E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-24-2014, 09:20 PM   #1
330iDiot

My Ride: 330i
Looking For Feedback on a Floor Jack Product

Update- Here is the official video from Alltrade Tools, thanks for the input!

Hi Ladies and Gentlemen: Below you will find a floor jack product I have been working on for a bit of time. I have tried to collaborate with floor jack companies in the US and abroad and the feedback has been positive, yet I have no commitments from any of them.

The basis of the product should be pretty familiar with anyone who has worked under car. It helps lift a vehicle and place it on the factory lift points utilizing the factory pinch welds. I know a lot of advanced DIYers know there are other places to lift a car, but I still feel this concept would make the process easier and promote safety.

Since I have no commitments from the industry, I am getting to the point where I might embark on the development and production of this product without the help of the industry. This is why I am posting this here. I want to get a better feel from the market if this is a good product or I am just being delusional as I am too close to the product.

The product pictured is a very crude prototype I made. It is in no way supposed to be a final product. I made it just to prove the concept works.

Assuming the following, would you find this to be a useful product?

- Designed and manufactured to industry standards for safety
- Useable as a regular floor jack and for the function as described above
- Pricing, slightly higher than a regular floor jack
- Warranty and service comparable to other products in the market

I am not trying to sell anything here, really just looking for your input. Thanks, Tom

Last edited by 330iDiot; 01-25-2017 at 08:16 PM.
330iDiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:40 PM   #2
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
I like it. It has a limitation in that the jack has to be oriented along one axis of the jackstand, and only one type of jackstand can be used. However, if you are not getting any commitments from the floor jack industry, you should find out why. You would think someone would jump on something like this.
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Miller
I just don't know what I'd do with 560 hp that doesn't involve getting arrested.
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:19 PM   #3
330iDiot

Thanks WildIrish. It has been odd. A lot of these companies haven't given me the time of day or a real explanation why they wouldn't want to proceed. One company basically told me that it was too different and didn't think the market would understand its purpose.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:58 AM   #4
KyleAndrew

My Ride: 2002 e46 330i
Let me tell you something... EVERY single time I've jacked my car up, I've wished I had a jack that could do EXACTLY this. I absolutely think you are onto something. If you do a kickstarter you have my money. Also, if you need help with product photography, video, or a website, message me, as I truly believe you have something pretty good here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330iDiot View Post
Hi Ladies and Gentlemen: Below you will find a floor jack product I have been working on for a bit of time. I have tried to collaborate with floor jack companies in the US and abroad and the feedback has been positive, yet I have no commitments from any of them.

The basis of the product should be pretty familiar with anyone who has worked under car. It helps lift a vehicle and place it on the factory lift points utilizing the factory pinch welds. I know a lot of advanced DIYers know there are other places to lift a car, but I still feel this concept would make the process easier and promote safety.

Since I have no commitments from the industry, I am getting to the point where I might embark on the development and production of this product without the help of the industry. This is why I am posting this here. I want to get a better feel from the market if this is a good product or I am just being delusional as I am too close to the product.

The product pictured is a very crude prototype I made. It is in no way supposed to be a final product. I made it just to prove the concept works.

Assuming the following, would you find this to be a useful product?

- Designed and manufactured to industry standards for safety
- Useable as a regular floor jack and for the function as described above
- Pricing, slightly higher than a regular floor jack
- Warranty and service comparable to other products in the market

I am not trying to sell anything here, really just looking for your input. Thanks, Tom

Last edited by KyleAndrew; 04-25-2014 at 07:58 AM.
KyleAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 05:52 PM   #5
Sansho

My Ride: 2001 325i
Great idea ... would work, for example, on VWs, but not on BMWs (too narrow between the jack "teeth" to work around stock BMW jack points on body).
Old 04-26-2014, 06:54 PM   #6
njmisso

My Ride: 2004 zhp 330i sedan
Ever seen this product..

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
njmisso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:11 PM   #7
KaliVertBoy

My Ride: M3 Vert 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmisso View Post
Ever seen this product..

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Exactly what I thought of when i saw this

Interior Pioneer avic z2--brushed aluminum vinyled trim--wind deflecter
Exterior Csl front bumper--Gold CSL reps--Macht Schnell spacers 18mmf/10mmr--Ebay trunk spoiler
Performance Macht Schnell intake elbow--K&N drop in--Manzo Headers (still in box lol)-- TCKline/Ground Control Coilovers
Lighting OEM LED taillight retrofit w/ amber vinyl--Chris Brown mod--3500k H7's--6000k morimoto D2s's--6000k ccfl angel eyes--LED's everywhere
KaliVertBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:50 AM   #8
330iDiot

Def. aware of that product. I guess I see the main difference is that one is constrained to a fixed height. If one ever wanted to lift all four corners, I think it would cost $600 in product. I think it is a good solution, clearly...because that product is in the market and selling...more than I can say for mine!
Old 04-27-2014, 08:41 PM   #9
wildirish317

Have you tried marketing this to Pittsburg? I would think they would jump all over this. They could sell the jack for ~$100, plus the jack stands, and it would be well less than $600.
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”

Quote:
I just don't know what I'd do with 560 hp that doesn't involve getting arrested.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:52 PM   #10
330iDiot

Can't say I have been connected directly to them - that would be nice. I am at a weird place with this. I am still waiting on some responses. I am not really wanting to be in the manufacturing business, but am not crossing it out. I have a enough things going on with my wife/3kids. Tom
Old 04-27-2014, 11:52 PM   #11
DaHammer

My Ride: 2003 325i
I think it would be a lot better if it was an attachment to an existing jack. Preferably one that could be easily removed.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:04 PM   #12
wildirish317

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330iDiot View Post
Def. aware of that product. I guess I see the main difference is that one is constrained to a fixed height. If one ever wanted to lift all four corners, I think it would cost $600 in product. I think it is a good solution, clearly...because that product is in the market and selling...more than I can say for mine!
If I were going to spend that kind of money, I would double it and get this:

Quote:
Old 04-28-2014, 04:06 PM   #13
330iDiot

That IS pretty slick!
Old 04-28-2014, 04:09 PM   #14
wildirish317

Here's a link. http://www.garageautoequipment.com/Q...shoppingengine

I think BimmerTools (Forum sponser) is getting ready to offer it as well.

Quote:
Old 10-18-2016, 10:50 AM   #15
330iDiot

For those interested...Here is another video:

Old 01-25-2017, 08:16 PM   #16
330iDiot

Updated video, thanks again for the support.