E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-24-2011, 02:28 AM   #1
DJ RaMiN

My Ride: 02 325I,03 M3
Unhappy Suspicious Coolant Leak!!!

So, I changed my radiator and expansion tank, thermostat and the hoses less than a year ago. recently I noticed like 2, 3 drops of coolant under my car. so It wasn't that bad. it was like this for a week, and suddenly after a week like the 8th day I checked and there was like a gallon of coolant running under my car..It was suspicious because it was a small leak and after a week the whole thing came out once and it was empty..so the day before yesterday I poured coolant and water in there and made it full again.. and I checked it every day, I just saw 2,3 drops again,,, this happened 3 time already,,, few drops for couple days and and a huge amount after that. I dont know what the hell is going on!!!
DJ RaMiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:32 AM   #2
TheCalmInsanity

My Ride: 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ RaMiN View Post
So, I changed my radiator and expansion tank, thermostat and the hoses less than a year ago. recently I noticed like 2, 3 drops of coolant under my car. so It wasn't that bad. it was like this for a week, and suddenly after a week like the 8th day I checked and there was like a gallon of coolant running under my car..It was suspicious because it was a small leak and after a week the whole thing came out once and it was empty..so the day before yesterday I poured coolant and water in there and made it full again.. and I checked it every day, I just saw 2,3 drops again,,, this happened 3 time already,,, few drops for couple days and and a huge amount after that. I dont know what the hell is going on!!!
I'm sorry.. I've been having coolant problems too I wish mine was an actual leak like yours where I can see it (so I could try to find the source of it). I filled my coolant in the morning.. And already got the light at night that it's running low.. Sure enough next morning when I checked, it was empty...

I don't know why, but it's been doing that lately. Got it checked, there's no leaks (sometimes there's leaks from the heat). It might be escaping and coming out of my exhaust, but I'm not sure..

I'm not sure if it has to do with the mileage on my engine, or if it's just another seperate problem. My engine has 194k miles, pretty much everything except it has been replaced by now lol. My car eats oil like crazy, but that's normal because of the high mileage.. It's the coolant problem I don't understand.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:28 AM   #3
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
I think you have a leak that you need to fix!

It could be many things...but I'll try a random guess...

Maybe you'd overfilled it with coolant (keep it so the two balls straddle the top of filler neck...no higher. And fill it to 'this' level when cool.) Excess will come out the ET cap when pressure rises above 2 bar.

Check your cooling fan function, as it may be that after a long weekend run, when engine is much hotter, that it would normally run the fan, but as the fan isn't working properly, that it's causing more to push out after shutdown. I actually don't know how the fans on the auto work, if you have an auto, but suspect that the one electric fan might stay on if the coolant temp warrants it...idk for sure.

But, you do have a leak, and honestly, you should have done more investigation after the first time you saw a gallon of coolant under your car. You do know not to drive if your car is overheating, right? Otherwise you'll be spending $1-5K to fix it...just saying!

Check Bimmersgarage here...he has great vids on diagnosing coolant leaks.

HTH

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:08 AM   #4
BimmersGarage

My Ride: E46 330i
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmersGarage
^
Thanks Doug.

@DJ RaMiN and TheCalmInsanity
If you're experiencing that much of a coolant leak where you're putting in about a half gallon or more of coolant, you really do have a serious leak.
Like Doug stated, check out my vids on coolant leak possible locations.

Sometimes your coolant is held by the plastic splash pan under engine bay (between the radiator and motor) preventing any coolant from hitting the ground, you need to remove it to get a better look to find your leak(s). Just don't do it when the motor is hot, don't get burned.

NOTE: Be very careful NEVER Overfill your expansion tank.
When/if you do... you build up extra pressure that can rupture the tank.

Last edited by BimmersGarage; 04-24-2011 at 11:12 AM.
BimmersGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:08 PM   #5
sellsellsell2000

My Ride: E46 seden
Send a message via AIM to sellsellsell2000
I have something similar, it all began with the squeaky noise coming from the serpent belt and i began to investigate. I notice spots of residue on my Pulley in the beginning and the brown stuff (dried gunk) from my 'Upper Radiator Hose' and around the 'Air Bleeder Screw'.

Long story short.

After months of small unnoticeable squeaky sound from the pulley it when louder and louder, until the radiator light came on. It didn't go away this time. It stay on permanently and noise from the belt became one long squeak all the way home.

As I opened up the hood I noticed the 'Air Bleeder Screw' gave way, and the water have gotten on to the belt. It was a relief, I thought it was a Tensioners that need replace. Please see pic.

Notice the 'Upper Radiator Hose' look dry on top, but the bottom is all wet. Most people would believe is the expansion tank that gave way. luckily, I was able to trace it back to my 'Air Bleeder Screw'.

IMPORTANT: My 'Air Bleeder Screw' have snapped off. The cap with the 'X' was just resting there.

BMW /// 323i

OEM M-Tech II front & rear bumper /// Cluster Ring /// Grimace Fog Lights /// CCFL angel eye

330i Diff /// REMUS Exhaust /// Heat Shield Cold Air Intake

Last edited by sellsellsell2000; 04-24-2011 at 12:10 PM.
sellsellsell2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:44 PM   #6
DJ RaMiN

I know I have no leaks from the top because I check the top... didn't see any leak..I checked the bottom, it was wet around the expansion tank mount, where it(expansion tank) seats on it..I searched that here, some people say u need to change the O ring, some say change the whole thing! @BimmersGarage, where can I see your videos?
Old 04-24-2011, 02:58 PM   #7
mujjuman

My Ride: not an E46
Check YouTube for their vids

Check to see if you are leaking around the water pump area

2003 325xi 5MT
Jet Black, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, OEM Xenon ^^RIP
sig by Solidjake
mujjuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 03:15 PM   #8
BimmersGarage

Do a quick search on Youtube > BMW Expansion Tank
Old 04-24-2011, 03:30 PM   #9
lvlikeWho

My Ride: 330ci
Mine was leaking from the water pump..I couldn't find a leak too. I opened the hood while the car was on and I felt tiny drop of coolant/water hit me from the fan

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp
Old 04-28-2011, 02:05 AM   #10
DJ RaMiN

the thing is mine doesn't leak while driving and engine running, it leaks while its off like over night! any Ideas?
Old 04-28-2011, 02:17 AM   #11
mujjuman

My Ride: not an E46
Quote:
the thing is mine doesn't leak while driving and engine running, it leaks while its off like over night! any Ideas?
mine did the same. check the water pump and the t-stat area... thats where mine was leaking from. check the connections to the hoses too.

i brought my car to the shop like 3 times for this, and they could NOT find the leak. it was only when i tore apart my cooling system to replace everything, i found the leak lol.

2003 325xi 5MT
Jet Black, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, OEM Xenon ^^RIP
sig by Solidjake
mujjuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 02:34 AM   #12
DJ RaMiN

@mujjuman thanks. I checked the water pump its not leaking from there..
I'm thinking if the Coolant temperature sensor doesn't work, it will effect the fan right? and when the fan doesn't work it will increase the temperature and it will make pressure in the coolant and it will cause the leak!...but Im just guessing... if this is the problem then its really easy to fix...any ideas?
Old 04-28-2011, 03:51 AM   #13
azblkonblk

My Ride: 330
So you're saying that it doesn't leak while running or parked shortly, but it leaks while the car is sitting overnight or for an extended amount of time?

Sounds like the exact problem I had. Initially I thought it was the waterpump, thermostat, or expansion tank leaking. But they were all brand new and just installed about a week ago. It turned out to be that coolant was seeping out from under the upper coolant hose (new also) where it connects to the thermostat housing. This would only happen overnight when the car was cooled down. It threw me off because coolant would drip onto the drive belt, crank pulley, and eventually land to the ground near the transmission cooling coil. I thought it was the expansion tank at first because it was the nearest up top, but once I crawled underneath with a flash light. (overnight leaking) I discovered it was the upper coolant hose. the leak couldn't be seen from the top.

Check your upper or even lower hose, if its leaking where it connects to the thermostat, replace the thermostat. At night when the car is cold and have been sitting, take your hands and cuff it underneath the upper hose. Wait for a while and see if your hand gets wet with coolant. If it does, you have the same leak I did.

My new thermostat came bad out of the box, 2 weeks of headaches tracing the intermittent leak. I took it apart three times to make sure all surface was even and clean. Used a little rtv as insurance, and problem still existed like mentioned above. Even put the old upper hose back on and leak still occur. I Replaced the new thermostat with another one and been leak free since.
azblkonblk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:27 AM   #14
BimmersGarage

If it only seem to leak overnight (and not while driving) then the leak is caused by a failed/failing seal > more than likely due to heat pressure... the location of the "weakest" seal in our E46 cooling system is here:

Lower Radiator Hose > the Auxiliary fan/temperature sensor.

Check this tiny O-ring (green in photo) but it could be brown in some year models.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:29 AM   #15
GRIFFIN
NWS

My Ride: 04 330i zsp,zpp,zcw
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmersGarage View Post
If it only seem to leak overnight (and not while driving) then the leak is caused by a failed/failing seal > more than likely due to heat pressure... the location of the "weakest" seal in our E46 cooling system is here:

Lower Radiator Hose > the Auxiliary fan/temperature sensor.

Check this tiny O-ring (green in photo) but it could be brown in some year models.
Part number for tiny green/brown washer? Do you know if it is sold by itself?

** Removed - Please stop - Tim330i **
*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
* Continuing to put animated images in your sig will get you banned - Tim330i *
**You make me so horny.- Tim330i **
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!
GRIFFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:28 AM   #16
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Reputedly its the same as intake air temp sensor washer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIFFIN View Post
Part number for tiny green/brown washer? Do you know if it is sold by itself?

I'm on phone so if I wrote something stupid, it was probably the phone!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:37 AM   #17
BimmersGarage

@GRIFFIN
I don't believe they sell that O-ring by itself from the BMW dealer, they only sell the whole sensor unit.
There's a thread somewhere about where people have found a similar O-ring, but I don't have that on hand.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:37 AM   #18
GRIFFIN
NWS

My Ride: 04 330i zsp,zpp,zcw
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Reputedly its the same as intake air temp sensor washer

I'm on phone so if I wrote something stupid, it was probably the phone!

** Removed - Please stop - Tim330i **
*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
* Continuing to put animated images in your sig will get you banned - Tim330i *
**You make me so horny.- Tim330i **
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!
GRIFFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:57 AM   #19
shanneba

My Ride: 2003 330Ci
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330...43299/ES34373/

Part: 13621743299 O-Ring - Priced Each Replacement o-ring for the temperature sensor
shanneba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:16 PM   #20
josephmech

My Ride: 2001 325i sedan 5m
Quote:
Its a night owl
josephmech is offline   Reply With Quote