E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-28-2011, 12:55 PM   #21
Penguin Koolaid
Banned

My Ride: Inline Six
My water pump exploded while driving on the highway this Monday. It unloaded coolant everywhere .

$125 for a new pump and $435 ($145/hr) for labor later... back on the road. A few ****s were given, but otherwise could have been worse I guess.
Penguin Koolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:30 PM   #22
ac_2007

My Ride: F32 M4, E46 M3/325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmersGarage View Post
If it only seem to leak overnight (and not while driving) then the leak is caused by a failed/failing seal > more than likely due to heat pressure... the location of the "weakest" seal in our E46 cooling system is here:

Lower Radiator Hose > the Auxiliary fan/temperature sensor.

Check this tiny O-ring (green in photo) but it could be brown in some year models.
You may have found my problem.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:55 PM   #23
enfini-fc

My Ride: 02 325ci
just did a expansion tank,upper radiator hose,fan sensor....noticed coolant down the side of the block from head gasket area;nice. engine swap time.
enfini-fc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 02:47 PM   #24
cyberkaa

Location: Sunnyvale, CA <-- Ithaca, NY <-- dirty jerz (201) Useful Posts: 25
My Ride: E46 332i,M3;E30 325i
Send a message via ICQ to cyberkaa Send a message via AIM to cyberkaa Send a message via MSN to cyberkaa Send a message via Yahoo to cyberkaa
Ramin, you've got a leak somewhere (obviously, haha), but it's only opening up when the pressure gets high enough. I've seen a similar situation when a plastic flange on the radiator had cracked and would occasionally gush coolant some time after the car was parked, but would be fine or leak almost imperceptibly at other times. Can't rule the new cooling system parts out (especially ET) even though they're pretty fresh. Look for tell-tale signs of dried coolant in the engine bay around the hoses, et, etc.

M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by koven View Post
i'd rather be gapless with no bulge
cyberkaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:27 PM   #25
josephmech

My Ride: 2001 325i sedan 5m
Also I have seen before where you pressure check it
josephmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:45 AM   #26
DJ RaMiN

My Ride: 02 325I,03 M3
alrighty!! today I went under the car again, had to open lots of ****, so i can see the whole thing, and guess what!!! the f****** expansion tank(which I installed less than a year ago) had a hole in it!!! I dont know how and why but there was a small hole on the right side of the tank...so Im gonna pick up the part for it tomorrow morning and do the job!
DJ RaMiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 02:41 AM   #27
cyberkaa

Location: Sunnyvale, CA <-- Ithaca, NY <-- dirty jerz (201) Useful Posts: 25
My Ride: E46 332i,M3;E30 325i
Send a message via ICQ to cyberkaa Send a message via AIM to cyberkaa Send a message via MSN to cyberkaa Send a message via Yahoo to cyberkaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ RaMiN View Post
alrighty!! today I went under the car again, had to open lots of ****, so i can see the whole thing, and guess what!!! the f****** expansion tank(which I installed less than a year ago) had a hole in it!!! I dont know how and why but there was a small hole on the right side of the tank...so Im gonna pick up the part for it tomorrow morning and do the job!
Could have been worse. Good thing it isn't. Remember to avoid overfilling it, too.

M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by koven View Post
i'd rather be gapless with no bulge
cyberkaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:01 AM   #28
xavi330i

My Ride: 2004 330i smg
Coolant leaks are not hard to diagnose. You have to get dirty and get under the car.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:18 AM   #29
GRIFFIN
NWS

My Ride: 04 330i zsp,zpp,zcw
Glad to hear you found the problem.

** Removed - Please stop - Tim330i **
*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
* Continuing to put animated images in your sig will get you banned - Tim330i *
**You make me so horny.- Tim330i **
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!
GRIFFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:33 AM   #30
russco-pico

My Ride: e46
Excellent Post, I just wish It was up last week as I have been having the same problems with the cooling system on my wifes e46 wagon. It would loose some water while driving, and after being shut down for an hour or more it would loose a gallon or more. I got under the car and took of the splash pan and noticed the water dripping off the lower crank pulley. I figured it was the water pump gone bad, I then noticed after removing the centrifical fan and belts that the pump bearing was a bit loose but not leaking. I then noticed some yellow/brown rust water below the thermostat housing, after removal it appeared that the housing o-ring style gasket may have been the cause of the leak but after reading this post I went back out to the car and checked the o-ring gasket/seal in the upper slipfit radiator hose that connects to the thermostat and noticed that the real cause of the leak is not the thermostat housing gasket but the upper radiator/thermostat o-ring gasket seal inside of the radiator hose, it actually looks like the seal actually got so hot that it is slightly melted and burnt and cracking which would cause the leak when cooling down and drip water on the underside of the hose which made the water marks under the themostat housing and on the engine block which caused me to think the housing was at fault. Thanks to this post I have found the true cause of the leak and now will not have to worry about the water pump and thermostat as I will continue to replace them as they are out, once again thank you all!

mahalo

Russco
russco-pico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:44 AM   #31
russco-pico

My Ride: e46
TO AZBLKBLK and BIMMERSGARAGE As I just posted, my success with the help of this post. Credit where credit is due thanks to the two of you and the others for your knowledge again Thanks

mahalo

Russco
russco-pico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:18 AM   #32
BimmersGarage

My Ride: E46 330i
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmersGarage
Quote:
Originally Posted by russco-pico View Post
TO AZBLKBLK and BIMMERSGARAGE As I just posted, my success with the help of this post. Credit where credit is due thanks to the two of you and the others for your knowledge again Thanks

mahalo

Russco
Always nice to be able to help out a fellow bimmer. Glad you were able to diagnosis and fix the problem.
BimmersGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:21 PM   #33
Mark325i

My Ride: '03 e46
Quote:
If it only seem to leak overnight (and not while driving) then the leak is caused by a failed/failing seal > more than likely due to heat pressure... the location of the "weakest" seal in our E46 cooling system is here:

Lower Radiator Hose > the Auxiliary fan/temperature sensor.

Check this tiny O-ring (green in photo) but it could be brown in some year models.
Hey, how hard is it to change that o-ring? Am I going to have a gusher of coolant when I try to unplug the sensor? Thanks.
Mark325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:34 PM   #34
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark325i View Post
Hey, how hard is it to change that o-ring? Am I going to have a gusher of coolant when I try to unplug the sensor? Thanks.
I did it, but when the hose was empty. Everyone just seems to plug it with finger somehow while replacing new o-ring. If it's the whole sensor you're replacing, I don't think you should lose much at all--just pay attention to how it comes out, so you can put it back in easily.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com

Last edited by dmax; 08-03-2011 at 07:36 PM.
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:15 PM   #35
BimmersGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark325i View Post
Not difficult at all, just have the new one handy... be careful not to over stretch it while you put it on.

And, no there won't be a gusher (just a tea spoon at most) if you keep the radiator cap on, our cooling system is sealed so it creates a vacuum.

NOTE: Just Don't try to change it when the motor is still hot!
Be safe, wait til it's cooled off completely.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:24 AM   #36
Mark325i

Thanks, all, for the terrific advice. One more thing -- this sensor simply unclips and pulls out, correct?
Old 08-04-2011, 08:32 AM   #37
BimmersGarage

^
Yes.
Disconnect wiring harness first, then squeeze the retaining clips on the sensor housing and wiggle it out.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:46 AM   #38
Mark325i

Quote:
^
Yes.
Disconnect wiring harness first, then squeeze the retaining clips on the sensor housing and wiggle it out.
Excellent. Thanks again!
Mark
Old 08-04-2011, 11:57 AM   #39
ECSTuning
Sponsor

My Ride: BMW
Thanks for the link.

We have the part you need.

Tom

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST | 800.924.5172
Do you love surveys? Click HERE to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey!
ECSTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:12 PM   #40
Mark325i

Done. Picked up the $2.39 pack of assorted O-rings from Autozone and all's well. Thanks for the valuable info.
Mark