E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-25-2011, 05:28 PM   #1
Master Po
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 364
My Ride: E46 no more
Cardio first or last?

Any truth to this?
http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/trai...ts-right-wrong

This could explain why after years of hitting the gym hard, I'm pretty lean everywhere else, but I can't seem to be able to get rid of the love handles...
__________________
Master Po is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:10 PM   #2
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
I'm too lazy to read that right now but I've heard it this way

about 20% say do cardio first
about 50% say do cardio after
about 30% say it really doesn't matter.

Give or take a few percentage points and that's basically my experience with what people say.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:49 PM   #3
Born Again
Registered User
 
Born Again's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
Posts: 4,660
My Ride: She aint much 330ci
Who is on first?
__________________

best mod to date : OEM grocery bag holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:
Born Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:49 PM   #4
dwass325
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Peoples Republic of Chicago
Posts: 405
My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Cardio after. End of story.

Edit: that article is correct. You should use your glycogen for energy while lifting, then do cardio when you are glycogen-depleted so you get the most benefit from each activity.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:12 AM   #5
BMW_Matt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 13,066
My Ride: Has AWD
Why would you do it first and expend all your energy on that?
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:50 AM   #6
Master Po
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 364
My Ride: E46 no more
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Matt View Post
Why would you do it first and expend all your energy on that?
Given your myopic response, I'd guess you're still in high school.
Why would you do it at all if cardio is just spending energy?

Have you considered that not everybody has the need nor want to look like a body builder? Being able to get to the the top of a flight of stairs without running out of breath has a functional value, not just for looks.
__________________
Master Po is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:20 AM   #7
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Po View Post
Given your myopic response, I'd guess you're still in high school.
Why would you do it at all if cardio is just spending energy?

Have you considered that not everybody has the need nor want to look like a body builder? Being able to get to the the top of a flight of stairs without running out of breath has a functional value, not just for looks.
before judging his response why don't you look into it a little more.

No one lifts weights to get half the benefit from them. If I'm curling 35lb dumbbells before cardio I might only be able to lift 30 lbs after a cardio session. That means my muscles aren't getting hit as hard as they possibly could. Why would you want to be fatigued when you're lifting weights? The point of cardio is to get your heart rate up and use energy. You want to be at your strongest when lifting weighs so you usually do it first.

This does not mean you will look like a body builder. This just means if you're going to try to get the most of out your workouts, it is beneficial to do weights first.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:48 AM   #8
dwass325
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Peoples Republic of Chicago
Posts: 405
My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
If you want to get maximum benefit from your workout, it only makes sense to cardio after lifting.

It's about efficiency, not bodybuilding.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:49 AM   #9
BMW_Matt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 13,066
My Ride: Has AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
before judging his response why don't you look into it a little more.

No one lifts weights to get half the benefit from them. If I'm curling 35lb dumbbells before cardio I might only be able to lift 30 lbs after a cardio session. That means my muscles aren't getting hit as hard as they possibly could. Why would you want to be fatigued when you're lifting weights? The point of cardio is to get your heart rate up and use energy. You want to be at your strongest when lifting weighs so you usually do it first.

This does not mean you will look like a body builder. This just means if you're going to try to get the most of out your workouts, it is beneficial to do weights first.
Thank you. That's nicer than I would have said it.
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:51 AM   #10
Hartge50
Kleemann Info Centre GmBH
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: BMW World :)
Posts: 470
My Ride: The Hertz Mobile
Weights first then cardio!

I say this based from my experience. Before i used to do my cardio (anywhere from 20mins to 1hr) and then switch to weights but by the time i hit weights i'm already burned out and can't really go that heavy(which i like going heavy sometimes).

I switched it up and works out well for me.

Then hit the ON Double Rich Chocolate Whey drink after and
__________________
Sorry Chris but this is the finals! F**k off! lmao!! :D

Hartge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:38 PM   #11
Schrock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St. John USVI
Posts: 87
My Ride: Floaties
Save the boner until after the weights.
__________________
Schrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:12 PM   #12
Master Po
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 364
My Ride: E46 no more
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
before judging his response why don't you look into it a little more.

No one lifts weights to get half the benefit from them. If I'm curling 35lb dumbbells before cardio I might only be able to lift 30 lbs after a cardio session. That means my muscles aren't getting hit as hard as they possibly could. Why would you want to be fatigued when you're lifting weights? The point of cardio is to get your heart rate up and use energy. You want to be at your strongest when lifting weighs so you usually do it first.

This does not mean you will look like a body builder. This just means if you're going to try to get the most of out your workouts, it is beneficial to do weights first.
That is still a one sided view.
Someone training for a triathlon might say the opposite: if you're trying to push up your AT, why would you waste all your energy on weights? After weights your body is too tired to do any serious cardio training.

NB: I'm not advocating one way or the other. This was a question.
I'm judging his response as myopic for what it is. He failed to consider that different people have different objectives. If he has considered that, he wouldn't have asked that question, not in such a brash way.
__________________

Last edited by Master Po; 04-27-2011 at 03:14 PM.
Master Po is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:24 PM   #13
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Po View Post
That is still a one sided view.
Someone training for a triathlon might say the opposite: if you're trying to push up your AT, why would you waste all your energy on weights? After weights your body is too tired to do any serious cardio training.

NB: I'm not advocating one way or the other. This was a question.
I'm judging his response as myopic for what it is. He failed to consider that different people have different objectives. If he has considered that, he wouldn't have asked that question, not in such a brash way.
ok, then why didn't you ask that? If you wanted two answers you should have indicated that.

99% of the discussion here is based on building muscle and gaining strength. If you're going to talk about something else (building up endurance) you shouldn't have simply said "cardio first or last".

You also need to realize that it is not Matt's, or our jobs to be mind readers and assume you're looking for answers based on goals.

Last edited by DylloS; 04-27-2011 at 03:29 PM.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:32 PM   #14
Master Po
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 364
My Ride: E46 no more
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
ok, then why didn't you ask that? If you wanted two answers you should have indicated that.

99% of the discussion here is based on building muscle and gaining strength. If you're going to talk about something else (building up endurance) you shouldn't have simply said "cardio first or last".
First I didn't know this forum is restricted to building muscle. Health and fitness... hmmm
And the article didn't state that cardio last is for body builders. It simply said that cardio last is more effective.
Note that the author (a female) is an athlete, not a body builder (at least she didn't reveal that).
Sounded like a new discovery. I wanted to know if the folks here were aware of it and what they thought of it.

I was responding to his brash response, which basically implied that my question was a stupid one and that everybody knows this and why would anyone with a IQ higher than room temperature would do otherwise.
__________________

Last edited by Master Po; 04-27-2011 at 03:41 PM.
Master Po is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:37 PM   #15
Master Po
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 364
My Ride: E46 no more
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
You also need to realize that it is not Matt's, or our jobs to be mind readers and assume you're looking for answers based on goals.
that (the ability to read a question with an open mind, not be prejudiced by assumptions and suppositions), my friend, is what separates the men from the boys. A sign of maturity.
That is why I guessed he was still in high school.
__________________
Master Po is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:40 PM   #16
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Po View Post
First I didn't know this forum is restricted to building muscle. Health and fitness... hmmm
And the article didn't state that cardio last is for body builders. It simply said that cardio last is more effective.
Sounded like a new discovery. I wanted to know what the folks here were aware of it and what they thought of it.

I was responding to his brash response, which basically implied that my question was a stupid one and that everybody knows this and why would anyone with a IQ higher than room temperature would do otherwise.
I understand what the title of this forum is called. But remember what is talked about here. You never indicated what your question was so we all assumed you were talking about building muscle. And in Matt's defense, based on what we talk about here, it wasn't the best question. When you try to break down muscle it only makes sense to do it when you're energy levels are the highest.

I know your style on these forums so I don't even know why I'm getting involved. You will never admit you're wrong even though you waited two days to give another angle to the original question.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:43 PM   #17
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Po View Post
that (the ability to read a question with an open mind, not be prejudiced by assumptions and suppositions), my friend, is what separates the men from the boys. A sign of maturity.
That is why I guessed he was still in high school.
again, why didn't you ask it that way then? Oh right, maybe because you thought about it after the fact.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:44 PM   #18
Master Po
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 364
My Ride: E46 no more
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
I understand what the title of this forum is called. But remember what is talked about here. You never indicated what your question was so we all assumed you were talking about building muscle. And in Matt's defense, based on what we talk about here, it wasn't the best question. When you try to break down muscle it only makes sense to do it when you're energy levels are the highest.

I know your style on these forums so I don't even know why I'm getting involved. You will never admit you're wrong even though you waited two days to give another angle to the original question.
What does waiting 2 days have to do with the content of my response?
Is there an implied time limit?
I simply didn't see your response.
You know how you go to UserCP, but then you get busy with work, next time you go to UserCP, it's not there anymore, until someone else bumps it.
__________________
Master Po is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:44 PM   #19
Master Po
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 364
My Ride: E46 no more
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
again, why didn't you ask it that way then? Oh right, maybe because you thought about it after the fact.
Is he in high school or not?
__________________
Master Po is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:46 PM   #20
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Po View Post
What does waiting 2 days have to do with the content of my response?
Is there an implied time limit?
I simply didn't see your response.
You know how you go to UserCP, but then you get busy with work, next time you go to UserCP, it's not there anymore, until someone else bumps it.
I'm saying that you had time to add that instead of letting us assume you were talking about other goals. It seems like you already knew the answer so what need did the thread serve?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Po View Post
Is he in high school or not?
As far as i know he's in college.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use