E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-31-2015, 05:40 AM   #1
gemjam4u

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
Question e46-Hi-Fi [Standard] 10 Speaker Amp/Speaker Upgrade Question ?

Hi Fellow members.

Please shed some light on it as this is the best E46 Forum.

I recently purchased Avin Avant 2 for my 01-E46 330i which has a standard [Hi-Fi] 10-Speaker system on my car.
The Avant -2 is rated at 4x 45W at 4 Ohms.
But the Amp on my trunk has the rating of 2 Ohms for the front and rear woofers and 4 ohms for the Mid and Treble respectively.
And FYI, the woofers on front and rear for my car is rated at 4 Ohms again (Some JBL in the front and Alpine at the rear).

So basically in a nut shell the setup is

Head unit(Avant 2) @ 4 Ohms > Amp @ 2 Ohms > Speaker @ 4 Ohms.

So guys, where is the bottle neck ?

Also should i need to upgrade the amp on my car to 4 ohms to match the Avnt 2 @ 4 ohms ? If so , how can i do this ?

Please help audio/bimmer experts
gemjam4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-31-2015, 06:03 AM   #2
Ceric

My Ride: 2005 BMW 325i
http://www.bavsound.com/Stage-One/
Old 07-31-2015, 09:20 AM   #3
gemjam4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceric View Post
I am aware that, there are a few direct upgrades like BSW, BavSound etc, But i want to know the integrity of using miss matching Ohms like shown above and the impact on how badly it effects the sound quality.

Moreover the bavsound doesn't mention anything on the speaker specs as i wouldn't risk to buy just by seeing the beauty of it.

Also would like to know if there are any after market AMP where i can directly replace with the OEM HiFi Amp ?

Anybody ...??

Thanks for the link though

Last edited by gemjam4u; 07-31-2015 at 09:21 AM.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:37 AM   #4
Ceric

My Ride: 2005 BMW 325i
There is no direct plug-and-play amplifier swap available for the E46. No one ever made one. The E90s have PnP kits available for various amplifiers, however; the E46 owners are **** out of luck.

Your only route is splicing lots and lots of cables: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=245914

As for the OHM's difference, I can not help you there as I do not know much about it.
Old 07-31-2015, 02:25 PM   #5
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
OP, please realize that the oem amp has built in crossovers. So, if you were to replace it with aftermarket amps you'll need to buy and mount crossovers.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 03:31 PM   #6
lab rat

My Ride: '02 330iT
Well, what seems to be wrong with the sound? Let's start there.
Old 07-31-2015, 04:13 PM   #7
gemjam4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceric View Post
There is no direct plug-and-play amplifier swap available for the E46. No one ever made one. The E90s have PnP kits available for various amplifiers, however; the E46 owners are **** out of luck.

Your only route is splicing lots and lots of cables: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=245914

As for the OHM's difference, I can not help you there as I do not know much about it.
Oh Sad to hear that
Yeah came across that thread, but no much use to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusmarkus View Post
OP, please realize that the oem amp has built in crossovers. So, if you were to replace it with aftermarket amps you'll need to buy and mount crossovers.
Yes You are right. I am aware of that and thats why i was asking for an aftermarket direct replacement AMP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lab rat View Post
Well, what seems to be wrong with the sound? Let's start there.
After installing Avant 2 , i really believe i am not getting the most out of it and also all these miss match ohm ratings. And to mention , the passenger side front door woofer is damaged now(Some JBL there). So i need to replace them anyways. So stuck all in all..
Old 08-01-2015, 12:29 PM   #8
gemjam4u

Bump
Old 08-07-2015, 09:38 PM   #9
lab rat

My Ride: '02 330iT
The BSW kit will take care of the ohm rating. It's a direct fit for the stock 10ch amp. The stock stereo has 4ch output to the amp so your aftermarket stereo should be hooked up the same way. I believe the impedance on that connection is 4ohm so your aftermarket stereo shouldn't make a difference.

If want to make something completely custom you could just get a 4 channel amp (like Alpine PDR-F50, it's tiny) and install two sets of component 6.5inch speakers (like SPR-60C) don't use the front door tweeter mount. You will get 8 speakers instead of 10 but it should sound better than stock.
Old 08-10-2015, 02:17 PM   #10
gemjam4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by lab rat View Post
The BSW kit will take care of the ohm rating. It's a direct fit for the stock 10ch amp. The stock stereo has 4ch output to the amp so your aftermarket stereo should be hooked up the same way. I believe the impedance on that connection is 4ohm so your aftermarket stereo shouldn't make a difference.

If want to make something completely custom you could just get a 4 channel amp (like Alpine PDR-F50, it's tiny) and install two sets of component 6.5inch speakers (like SPR-60C) don't use the front door tweeter mount. You will get 8 speakers instead of 10 but it should sound better than stock.
Guess i will go with the BSW instead by cutting all the other CRAP!
After some research i could find that the Hi-Fi AMP in my trunk is not that bad at all apart from the CRAP-SPEAKERS.

Guys please put in your feedback of BSW Stage 1 speakers for E46. Satisfy me more with BSW