E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-23-2014, 05:35 PM   #1
d33p

My Ride: zcp
Question Help me decide what to buy!

I have a 2005 e46 m3 with HK system and OE navigation.

The only things Im sure of is I want only a front stage with a sub. Want to power it all with a 5 channel amp.

Components-
Alpine spx17 pro

Amp
Alpine pdx v9
or
JL HD900/5

Sub
Not sure yet but both amps have plenty of sub power

So here are my questions:

Do I need a LOC such as LC6i or Audio Control matrix? If so...
Do I hook into the wiring before or after the HK amp?

If I buy the JL amp without any LOC do I hook right into it before or after the HK amp?

Can the Alpine take balanced signal straight like the JL?

Im really looking for clean sound more than bass.
d33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:59 AM   #2
mr ilia

My Ride: 04 BMW 325ci 5spd
You have to do product research first. Find user manuals online and do dome reading to figure out what each item has to offer.
For installation, you will be hooking up everything before the amp. essentially you will be eliminating the stock amp.

If your amp supports balanced inputs, then you do not need LOC. You will need to solder RCA plugs to stock wiring and hen plug it in to the aftermarket amp.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:00 PM   #3
d33p

Believe me, I did all the research I could.

Not sure which product to go with...lc6i or Matrix. Someone on this forum said he needed the Matrix as the lc6i didnt work properly so it gave me pause.

Will sound quality be better using an AudioControl product or go straight into the JL amp Im looking at?

Do you know how much voltage the pre amp wiring carries into the amp?

Last edited by d33p; 03-24-2014 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:29 AM   #4
mr ilia

My Ride: 04 BMW 325ci 5spd
A lot of AudioControl products accept balanced inputs, the same goes for PPI, some Kicker and JL products, JBL "P" line as well.

I do not know how you searched, but the 1st linked in Google was the PDF manual for JL HD900/5. If you read the manual you will see it does accept the balanced inputs.
http://mediacdn.jlaudio.com/media/mf...pdf?1342152066

I do not think Alpine pdx v9 does, as it is not listed in the manual.

If your AMP or AudioControl crossover accepts balanced inputs, then you have to read the bottom half of my original reply from yesterday.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:27 PM   #5
d33p

I already know the JL amp can accept the inputs thats why I asked "Can the Alpine take balanced signal straight like the JL?" I was more wondering about the Alpine which I figured didnt but wanted some other opinions.

Would using the Audio Control products give me better sound than just going straight into the amp.

So some kind of LOC + Alpine amp
or
JL amp without any LOC
Old 03-25-2014, 03:30 PM   #6
d33p

The reason Im asking about the voltage is that some products are input sensitive and wasnt sure if something like a lc6i increases the volts.