E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-13-2015, 04:39 PM   #1
CharlzO

My Ride: 2000 328ci
Eonon GA5150 review / tips

New Eonon GA5150 Android Car Multimedia System

Alright, so I got mine last night, and decided to tackle the install. If you've seen any of the current videos of similar units, the installation is as expected. I'll add pictures later to this. I'm also a non-nav car.

Using a trim tool or flathead screwdriver wrapped to protect your dash, slowly pry off the passenger side dash trim starting at the end near the door. You'll want the door opened for this to allow out to be pulled out from the dash. Next, take off the center piece above the factory radio.

There are two Philips screws holding the radio on, remove those and pull the radio out. The main harness plug towards the drivers side, you need to gently but firmly pry up. It's designed that once it's all the way open, the plug will pop off the radio. Unplug the antenna wire(s

I opted to remove the hvac control next, there are two metal retaining clouds about an inch on from each side on the top. If you carefully pryup on the mounting bracket at those points, you'll feel it release and can remove it. I've seen video where it's just forced out. I was unable to do so. The large white clip, there's a small tab you depress which then frees up the little locking lever to be moved and disengage the plug. The other plugs, just a small squeeze tab to release, and there was one that just pulled out.

The vent at top gave me fits. I removed the mounting bracket altogether and had to really tweak a bit with a thin screwdriver to get it released.

The storage compartment, just a small pry on the end and it popped out.

Being as it was 5 degrees, and I'll be pulling out back out later to run wires for the backup camera and rcas for an amp, I opted to leave many of the rear cables off the GA5150 to allow for easier installation without fighting wires. I also routed the hvac wires down and out of the way prior to installing the unit. Sounds self explanatory but I know I've done silly things that didn't make sense before.

Put the vents in, screw it down, put the trim back on, done.

UNBOXING: Here's a quick and crappy video pulling it out of the box:

(may be stubborn playing at the moment - just uploaded short time ago. Playing fine on my phone, but my browser here at work isn't liking it. Not sure if it's because I'm here, or if it's being unsmart. Will test later)

The review:

First thing I noticed, is that the bottom of the unit sits recessed into the dash opening about an eighth of an inch. Not deal breaking, but noticeable. I'll likely put a small spacer on the backside to flush it out. The top, I put the vents in first and then the radio, but I believe it's meant to go the other way. Having the vent tabs in place first means that when you tighten the radio down, the bottom of the vents draw into the dash past flush. Not a big deal since I'll be pulling it out again soon anyway, but something to keep in mind.

I installed the GPS antenna on the bar under the vents, have no problem with signal as of yet.

I also have almost no radio reception, but that was expected. I have the dual antenna plugs, so I'll need an adapter as i go. I never listen to the radio so it's not critical yet. There IS a factory-to-Motorola adapter included as the radio takes the Moto plug. The adapter assist has a blue remote lead. There is also a blue wire labeled ANT in the main harness, that did give a tiny bit more signal when hooked to the one on the adapter. Not sure if that's as designed, as the adapter wire had a plug but the other doesn't.

Another mention is that the unit came with two harnesses. I can only assume that's for different optioned cars. Plugging into the factory plug was a trick, a little wiggling to get the tabs lined into the slots. It's just close tolerance but takes patience.

Actual use had been rather limited as I've only driven to work thus far. I was able to pair both my phone and my OBDII adapter fine, torque works as on my phone. Was able to stream songs via Bluetooth to the unit, though it's pretty barebones. There is no song info shared, just basic play and skip buttons. I haven't found any setting to change that, and it's minor, but still would be nice to have shown on screen. I may look into different apps that may do that. I also have to get the habit of hitting Bluetooth to listen to my phone instead of music. Again, pretty basic, but it's an android habit from my phones, so it's just remembering.

I was able to make a test call while driving home, and the other party had no problem hearing me, said it sounded just as fine as any other handsfree I've used before.

WiFi connects through the hotspot on my phone with no issues.

I was able to use the screen mirror function also, using an LG G2. Got anyone interested, it is under settings, then display on the Eonon. On my phone, it was under settings, then share & connect. Search for devices from the phone, the Eonon will appear, likely named something else. Click, then the Eonon will prompt to accept, and voila. It's a little hazy depending on what you're doing, but I was able to stream Reign of Fire from my phone to the unit. A tiny lag to it, noticeable, but still very watchable.

I never even pulled the screws it for the disc mechanism so I haven't played any but I expect them to be fine, based on other reviews.

My backlighting does appear to work fine but can't fully test that until night. I will say it would be nice to have a sensor for auto brightness, like on a phone. Maybe in a future model?

I haven't played with much yet, but there are some interesting built in apps in there. There's an advanced car control out something that has all kind of neat things that would be neat if they worked, like auto defrost and things.

Can't say as I have many complaints now, just getting used to it. I'll be testing different launchers and car modes to find a setup I like a little more. The stock is fine, but I'm also used to my phone and being able to hide apps I won't use.

Oh, one minor gripe, and I think someone mentioned this before, is the app drawer button being way up in the left hand corner is a little tough to press. A different launcher will solve that, but just throwing that out there.

So my suggestions (so far) for the next version:

* Allow for remapping of more buttons, at least on the unit. Looks like you can remap the NAVI button (see the post below for the tip on that). But if they can ever figure out a way to get the full button mapping enabled, it'd be awesome.

* Add a sensor for an auto brightness feature.

* Better bluetooth information and integration. Not sure why we can't get things like title track and artist info on the stock app after shared from another phone. If I can stream via BT to other headunits and have all the info come over, why not here? Either app limits, or a limit on the BT functionality of the unit, not sure yet.

---

Overall thoughts though, are that for the price point, it's hard to beat. That's coming from someone without factory Nav, so I didn't have any issues like steering wheel controls not working, etc. Great upgrade over stock, seems to drive the speakers a little louder as well, and clearer at louder volumes, so that's kinda nice. Even with my minor gripes (which I'm working through), it's still worth the price, even without the group buy I would still consider it strongly (and actually had before, just got lucky with the group buy and couldn't think of any excuse to not upgrade). The hotspot on my phone connects flawlessly every time, and everything so far seems good. Going to pick up an SD card for some music to eliminate my annoyance at not seeing track info when streaming from my phone, and I should be all set.

Last edited by CharlzO; 01-14-2015 at 11:05 AM.
CharlzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:38 AM   #2
CharlzO

GA5150 Tips Compilation:

As I run into other posts, or find anything myself, I'll try to add to this list as a running how-to/tips section.
  • To access the running tasks (task window, however you wish to call it), when you have an app that displays the Home icon in the upper left of the screen, tap and hold, and you'll get the task window up that you can swipe apps away. I don't recall seeing a "clear all" button, however.
  • Enabling Screen Mirroring: It's listed under Settings>Display>Wireless Display. Once enabled on your phone which might vary by phone model, you should see it show up in both devices. Click on Eonon in the phone (It'll likely be listed under Android_xx or something). My LG G2, it's under Settings>Share & Connect and called Miracast. Other phones will probably say something else. I also found that it seemed to work best when I connected to the Eonon from the phone, instead of trying to connect to the phone from the Eonon.
  • Factory Settings password is 126
  • To watch video while moving, you need to go into Settings>Driving Safety, and select the box to allow video.
  • You can change what app the NAVI button maps do, by going to Settings>GPS>GPS Applications Options. Make sure to go to GPS Monitoring and set up Audio as well.

Last edited by CharlzO; 01-14-2015 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:12 PM   #3
lmattiso

My Ride: 2003 E46 Convertible
Here's a link to the XDA thread on this radio. It's HuiFei radio with a Klyde MCU.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2660662

You can flash any Android update to change the default skins/apps but you have to use the correct manufacturer image if you want to update the MCU.
Here is a repository with the Android 4.4 update:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?...=sharing#listv
http://huifei.fs-fileserver.de/conte....4.4/1024x600/

How to separate the internal and external mic so you can have one for bluetooth and one for Android (they're wired in parallel from the factory).
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=3964

Last edited by lmattiso; 01-16-2015 at 03:18 PM.
lmattiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 01:12 AM   #4
CharlzO

Good links, definitely! I hadn't hit XDA, but that'll give me something to read tomorrow.

I added Next Launcher 3D to mine tonight for kicks.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:32 AM   #5
CharlzO

Follow-up review:

Just figured I'd toss up my thoughts after having the unit installed for a few weeks now. One of the first things I did, was change the launcher to the Next Launcher from the play store. I wanted something that when in landscape mode (as this always is), would still give me a scrollable dock at the bottom, similar to what the stock launcher had. I don't know what other ones out there would do it, but everything I had tried on my phone would always move to the side in landscape. This one manages to work ok, though I still want to tweak it a bit. I also saw someone post a link to 4.4.4 software that would work, I may try that too.

Why have a Micro-USB on the front of this thing? I don't know why it didn't bug me before, and I know I don't use it, but thinking about it... why on earth would I want to use a small patch cable to plug in say, a flash drive? It makes very little sense. There must be a way to re-work the board and put an ACTUAL USB port on the front of this thing. Or, do without and just use the rear USB inputs on cables but give enough room to route them to say, the glove box or something. It's just weird and less-than-practical to have a Micro USB port, that then needs another cable to turn into an actual USB.

My illumination does work, but with a catch. I hadn't realized it initially, but it only lights up if my lights are on max brightness inside. For example, if I have my dash lights dimmed halfway, the button lights on the unit won't light up. However, if I reach over and max the brightness out on my dash lights, they come right on. I can then reset my level to whatever I want and they stay on. But to initially come on, I have to be at full brightness. I haven't messed with the pin configuration or anything like that, since that doesn't really bother me much. If I feel like I want them on, I'll just zing my dimmer up to max and back. Half the time I don't even realize they aren't on, and it doesn't bother me at all. Personal Preference.

The "returns to last function" when coming back on is a little sketchy. I haven't figured out the rhyme or reason, but it may be due to using the launcher instead of stock, since I use different apps - Play Music for my music on my SD card, for example, instead of the built-in app. Sometimes, I can leave off on Pandora and it'll come back on. Sometimes if I leave off using regular Play Music, it comes back up with the Bluetooth app open. I also use an app called.. Audio Glow, which basically is just a visual EQ that dances to the music, custom colors and all that. So I can fire up music, and open that app, and it's a nice change and isn't as bright as the Play Music app (seriously, why can't all apps come with day/night modes...). But if that's the last thing up, while playing Pandora or whatever...well, when the car starts back up, it opens up to Audio Glow, even though there's nothing actually playing. I'm not saying it's a deal breaker or that the unit is at fault, because there really are so many options and apps, that I can't imagine it'd be simple to make that work perfectly on any unit really.

Aside from my gripes though, I haven't had many complains. I haven't had app crashes or anything like that. Some apps seem to be a little challenged with the scaling to fit the screen, but I'd have to chalk that up to the app more than the unit. I've seen plenty of apps work perfectly on some devices and not others, and I'm sure this is the same boat. But the unit has still come on as expected (a little slow to initially respond when cold, but hell so am I), still sounds fine, no complaints. Just got my antenna adapter in today, so I'll likely pull the unit and put that in on my lunch break later tonight, see how it works.

So yeah, a few little things I would suggest for changes when the next version is launched (if ever?). But overall, still very happy with the unit, especially for the price point. I could see how someone who doesn't like to tinker at all might find more to question about operation, and I have a non-nav car so I didn't run into issues that others have. But I can't complain, it does what I expected it to, and is still a definite upgrade over stock.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:18 PM   #6
starfox5194

My Ride: 2004 330ci
I just bought this, haven't installed it yet, but does anyone know of a way to put a high pass filter (android software solution) on the front and rear aux outs? I am trying to run an active system, but I don't have the cash to throw at a dsp right now to do all of that dirty work for me. In that custom android 4.4.4 OS? Do the aux outputs seem to be nothing more than aux outputs or are they truly low level outputs?

Perhaps I should not tinker with it yet and wait until I can afford a dsp.

EDIT: Forget the above. A dsp is the way to go.

Anyways, I got mine installed today and here is what I think of it after messing around for about 20 minutes.
The turn knobs and buttons feel excellent to press and touch and turn. Feel like quality. Perhaps even better than avin avant!
The clock was off by an hour. Ugh. Not this crap again.
At times when browising the web and streaming bluetooth music, the head unit would studder. I won't be browsing the web while driving, but this makes me nervous about waze and bluetooth music.
The sound quality didn't seem too bad. Radio reception also seemed okay. I will know for sure after a drive tomorrow.

Now, my question for you guys,
How are you using your smartphone to tether to the device?
I was hoping to use bluetooth internet tethering, but it looks like that has to be clicked to enable every time on android?
So, I might just settle for usb tethering. The reason for bluetooth was my phone has a dock and the dock doesn't support USB tethering.

More notes:
radio reception took a little bit of a hit. Not anywhere near as bad as the d5150. Not as good as the stock radio, but it's acceptable.

There is an interference noise when listening to bluetooth music streaming. It gets pretty annoying.

the wifi always has trouble connecting to my phone. This really bugs me. Still working on it.

Once I get some time, I will post a youtube review of this unit.

Overall, not regretting the purchase. Yet.

Last edited by starfox5194; 02-13-2015 at 02:01 PM.
starfox5194 is offline   Reply With Quote