E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 354 votes, 4.98 average.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:15 PM   #201
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbastrd View Post
I have the Copilot navigation installed (worked offline),
Ok this is important....what source did you use to get the app.....any issues involved with getting it up and running?

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:25 PM   #202
uncompiled

My Ride: G37xS & 330Ci ZHP
Question for the guys who already have the unit... When you press the navi button, it just switches to the android home screen? Can you have the hardware navi button autoload a specific app?
uncompiled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:29 PM   #203
lilbastrd

My Ride: e46 2005 M3
Since the market wont even see it, and the applanet version of it let you install it but ask you for a serial. Even with a legit serial it will say the verison is expired. So...

1. I download copilot from a torrent from my computer (pirate bay.com)
2. Copy the .apk to the sim card
3. Install it on the dynavin
4. copy the North America (or what ever country you want) map on to the sd card before actually running it.
5. Run it
lilbastrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:29 PM   #204
J&T Distributing

yes, the navi button toggles between the radio functions and the "navi" functions.....that arent so nav centric any more!

Old 05-06-2011, 10:31 PM   #205
lilbastrd

My Ride: e46 2005 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncompiled View Post
Question for the guys who already have the unit... When you press the navi button, it just switches to the android home screen? Can you have the hardware navi button autoload a specific app?
as default, No.. maybe their is an app that would let you?
lilbastrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 12:20 AM   #206
TrickTizzle

My Ride: 325i
Send a message via AIM to TrickTizzle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325@DynavinSolutions View Post
jimmy, you mention "cables back there"....are you running an aftermarket amp? That USB hub solution works on the windows units so I think it probably will on the android unit as well.

DroptopkingM3: The wifi antenna just looks like a little white usb drive. It was in the bottom of the box with all the other cables, wires, remote, etc...

It sounds like you are waiting for it to update or something....the update is something YOU DO to it. Take out the SD card and follow the instructions above, you will download some files, drag and drop them to the sd card, and put the card back in the unit, turn it on and it will autorun, thats really all there is too it. You are thinking it harder than it is!

......yeah what was all that talk a page back about UPS screwing things up..... turns out that will call thing didnt work out so well....
Because the crack head in Fresno, CA set aside my package and thought I would be driving to California from Minnesota to pick up my delivery intercept.
This is 100% fault of the facility in Fresno because delivery intercept is always in the destination city. I've done it many times before and never had a problem. UPS doesn't really seem to care and they don't accept that its their fault either.

The guy also told me the overnight plane that flies to their central hub in Louisville, KY had been cancelled due to a maintenance issue with the plane and none of the packages left. I call bullSHIT on this.

/end rant.
I'll go start my own UPS flame thread...

Last edited by TrickTizzle; 05-07-2011 at 12:23 AM.
TrickTizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 12:43 AM   #207
J&T Distributing

Not to mention they told me a totally different story from my end....said it was "in the air" and would be floating around at the destination hub tomorrow where we could set up a sat delivery....or not....

Anyway, back to android

Old 05-07-2011, 02:31 AM   #208
DropTopKingM3
OG ///Member

My Ride: All German
Quote:
Guys here is the firmware update instructions that I sent... Just follow them:

Get your unit installed and working correctly, make sure you cars battery is not low!!!!!!!! leaving the doors open and the lights on while installing can run down a battery and loosing power in the middle of a firmware update would be BAD.

Download and extract the update that I sent you.

Open the downloaded folder and place the contents of it on the root of the SD card that came with your dynavin. Put the SD card in the dynavin and turn the unit on. If you are on the "nav" part of the unit you will see it start to update (use the NAVI button to toggle between the radio part of the unit and the nav part if you dont see it updating)

Wait until it finishes, it will prompt you to take the card out and reboot when it is finished. Hold down the volume knob to turn the unit off, and press it again to turn the unit back on. The android side will take A LONG time to boot the first time after the update, probably around 4-5 minutes. When it finishes booting up it will go to the touch screen calibration page.

If it doesnt boot after many minutes or you get some other odd behavior go back and start over.

All done, go in and check your time settings, I had to mess around with the time zone settings and time but eventually got it right. You will need to change the settings and then check the "automatic" time setting. I dont know exactly what I did so dont ask, just mess around with it until the time is correct. Dynavin seemed to think that the time would still display wrong on the clock screen but the system would be close enough to fix the errors that it was causing....but....my unit seems to be displaying time correctly so ill be consulting with them about this more tonight.

Once you are satisfied that the update is complete, delete the files from your SD card so you can continue to use the card for apps and media, etc...
Hey Jeff thank you for the full DIY. My laptop doesnt have a slot for the small SD card. Ill go to Best Buy tomorrow and see if they have something that I can slide the SD card into and use the bigger slot.

Thanks.

^Don't say my car is topless, say the t!tties is out^
DropTopKingM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 06:21 AM   #209
StrikeTwo

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Another Android Entry

Got my E46 Android unit Wednesday and installed the same night after work, much thanks to Jeff at J&T Dist. and some decent installation manuals. It's nice to see somebody that puts as much time and effort into customer service that Jeffro does. With my work schedule, I haven't had a great deal of time to mess around with this awesome new toy, but I have made a few observations to mention...

1. I love the flush mount OEM look and feel of the Dynavin unit, it seems of pretty nice sturdy quality, the rubber knobs have a nice look and feel but I don't like their wiggle factor, it feels like they might break off easily and they bind on the face if you happen to not perfectly rotate them. I'm finding the screen touchy with many accidental double keypresses when I use the keyboard, maybe more user error than anything or maybe the fault of being spoiled by my iPhone. I had issues with the provided screen protector, it was necesary to trim about 2-3mm off the edges to fit it onto the screen without major bubbling underneath, I know I should've checked fittment before I peeled the outside sheets which were also labeled incorrectly so I peeled the wrong side and had to hold it with my hands to cut it down (a nice gesture to include screen protector without selling it separately) Overall the touchscreen is manageable with use of the fingers, but much much more responsive with the provided stylus pen. (...which I seem to have lost about 10 minutes after I opened the box, DOH!, some nice replacements can be found at bestbuy, IF you can tolerate that place for more than 5 minutes)

2. the ipod function seems like the music menu could be better, I'm Also getting some sort of buzzing or interference from the iPhone when using the iphone plug, it comes and goes randomly. I'm not sure how to get the artwork to show up or maybe this is still in developement. I'll just use "Bluetooth" mode or the AUX input, or in the meantime, which brings me to that.

3. Bluetooth mode is interesting in the way the word CONNECT or DISCNT randomly flashes constantly in the upper LH corner, It does however aquire my iphone very quickly, within seconds, and the 30-50 ft. range playing music is well within acceptable standards in my book. Another quirky thing is when I press the right hand knob or the center phone button on the GUI it automatically dials the last person I called, and with break neck speeds I might add. It has brought me closer to my girlfriend because I keep accidentally dialing her number. It would be nice if it could display the number being dialed when it does this auto redial thing, or maybe show a que of recently dialed/recieved numbers. There seems to be quite a bit of excess space on the screen that could be utilized in a more efficient manner, I know, a work in progress. The numeric keypad could be larger and maybe configure the numbers in a more conventional way (pressing the zero is a weird motion being on the right hand side of 3,6,9). Also found most of the buttons are "INVALID" when in this mode and when playing music the directional buttons work on the keypad but strangely the number buttons are invalid, would be nice to press a digit and have it play that track number. On a good note, the iPhone response time from switching songs with the arrow menu is very fast action.

4. DVD video mode works awesome, no complaints once I checked the "BRAKE" option and lost the warning screen.

5. Radio mode works awesome as well, of course I can't wait to start seeing some cool custom skin options, it's a nice start. Also has 3 FM and 2 AM bands with 6 presets per band.

6. NAVI/Android mode, there's so much potential here, that goes without saying, and I can't wait to figure all of this out. I'm having a difficult time finding a good Nav program I can use while offline. I've seen this list of recommended programs but then go and try and download anything or find something that actually works on android. (edit: After getting a good nights sleep, I found a copy of Sygic 2.1.1 and it is installed and currently downloading the North America Maps, so far so good) Oh by the way WIFI works good, had no problem connecting aside from remembering my router password. I'm looking at upgrading to the iPhone 4 in the near future for the mobile hotspot capability, who knows maybe an iPad2.

7. The microSD and USB functions works as expected, I was at a loss though. I didn't have a microSD card adapter (which I bought for only $10 at Staples), The firmware update I had to wait a day but it went pretty well. Loading your SD card with a bunch of music works very well with Androids Music Player, also library navigation is very smooth and intuitive, also sounds pretty damn good too when you balance the output level of the Android.

8. Camera/TV I would rank it a 4-6 on my personal DIY difficulty scale. depending on your comfort level with splicing wires and pulling panels inside your car you might have it installed by a proffessional. It took me about 6-7 hours but if I had to do it again, less than 4 hours. How cool would it be to run an additional camera in the front at ground level, did I hear someone say Knight Rider?

(update; Don't hesitate, if you are still waiting for your unit, make sure and just order all of the accessories because after you get this thing you will wish you had and If you haven't already done this, start reading here and here, if that's the way you are ready to roll...and here's a nice FAQ as well)

All in all, I'm very excited about the future possibilites this has, and it's a definite improvement over my OEM Alpine CD-53 unit with a broken cd player. I cranked this thing up all the way and it's very clean and loud, not even sure I will get a new sub and amp now. The Dynavin E-46 unit really compliments the stock BMW HK sound system, helping it to reach it's full potential and pushing it to it's limits. It really makes the stock sound system sound great again, like born again YO!

Thanks Again Jeff for keeping us informed, can't wait for the next update.

Last edited by StrikeTwo; 05-17-2011 at 12:57 AM. Reason: two words..k i c k a s s
StrikeTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:07 AM   #210
J&T Distributing

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrikeTwo View Post

2. the ipod function seems buggy with unclear and limited controls and navigating the music menu is very cumbersome
For the ipod try using the remote control for the ipod, use the arrows, enter, and root buttons to navigate. The pod interface is definitely the dynavins weakest point but the remote at least makes it easy to get to what you are looking for. Now that I have been using the android media player apps I cant see going back to the ipod interface.....Im just going to put my itunes library on an 32GB micro SD card and run everything from android. Then I will still use the bluetooth audio for my daily podcast listening during my commute.

Quote:
6. NAVI/Android mode, there's so much potential here, that goes without saying, and I can't wait to figure all of this out. I'm having a difficult time finding a good Nav program I can use while offline. I've seen this list of recommended programs but then go and try and download anything or find something that actually works on android. The marketplace is sparce and I can't seem to figure out where to download Dynavins recommended program from Sygic. Maybe I missed it somewhere in trying to read through all these forums looking for answers, can somebody provide good links or help point me in the right direction? Which one is the best? Oh by the way WIFI works good, had no problem connecting aside from remembering my router password. I'm looking at upgrading to the iPhone 4 in the near future for the mobile hotspot capability, who knows maybe an iPad2.
offline nav is the big question, a couple posts ago "copilot" was noted to work but it was a cracked version....still looking for the most viable legit option.

I managed to download Sygic Aura yesterday including the maps using applanet.....maps took forever (map files are huge). It launched but its hanging on one of the config screens, so im going to uninstall and start over.....I think it will work. Its a 7 day trial and then you pay sygic to buy the app.

Quote:
7. The microSD and USB functions I'm work as expected, I was at a loss though. I didn't have a microSD card adapter (only $10 at Staples), there wasn't one in the Dynavin box somewhere but it's ok, it was cheap enough. The firmware update I had to wait a day but it went pretty well, although it still randomly notifies me that "the system time was successful" when I power the unit up and browse the android settings menu.
Get a SD to USB adapter as I found a lot of computers have a hard time seeing SDHC cards through their card slots but they will see them through the USB.

"system time was successful" notification isnt random.....it happens right after boot when android obtains time data from the satellites. (if you are in a garage without good sat signal it might seem random)

Quote:
All in all, I'm very excited about the future possibilites this has, and it's a definite improvement over my OEM Alpine CD-53 unit with a broken cd player. I cranked this thing up all the way and it's very clean and loud, not even sure I will get a new sub and amp now. The Dynavin really compliments the stock BMW HK sound system, helping it to reach it's full potential.

Thanks Again Jeff for keeping us informed, can't wait for the next update. I'll edit as changes occur or if I figure out anything new.

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 05-07-2011 at 09:10 AM.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:07 PM   #211
J&T Distributing

woohoo!!!!!!!

Copilot offline navigation is confirmed! (credit to member lilbastrd for figuring it out first!) But its an ...."unofficial" version....still looking for a simple legit way to do this.

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 05-07-2011 at 06:14 PM.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:07 PM   #212
DropTopKingM3
OG ///Member

^ Thats sickkkkkk.. Now I gotta figure out what the WIFI antenna looks like so I can download that app

Old 05-07-2011, 12:19 PM   #213
J&T Distributing

keep in mind....you need to do that firmware update I sent you FIRST or you are going to run into issues with the apps...

Old 05-07-2011, 12:20 PM   #214
DropTopKingM3
OG ///Member

Quote:
keep in mind....you need to do that firmware update I sent you FIRST or you are going to run into issues with the apps...
Yes.. Im going to Best Buy in a few to buy the SD card thing so I can plug it into my computer and download the update to it. I cant wait to get this thing going

Old 05-07-2011, 01:25 PM   #215
lawdog48825

My Ride: M3 Vert
What's the iPhone interface like? And does android support playback in aac format? If not, is the iPod interface that different than the WinCE version?
Old 05-07-2011, 01:52 PM   #216
J&T Distributing

there is no phone interface on the android part. Just the regular dynavin bluetooth screen.

Old 05-07-2011, 01:55 PM   #217
TXRobd

My Ride: 2002 330Ci Conv.
How do I get the frimware Jeff? Mee want mee want?
TXRobd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 02:04 PM   #218
TXRobd

My Ride: 2002 330Ci Conv.
nevermind so there is no update from the V5 WinCE to Android? I guess I will keep compiling and building drivers for mine then, booo.

Last edited by TXRobd; 05-07-2011 at 02:28 PM.
TXRobd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 06:00 PM   #219
Danoff

My Ride: '04 330i ZSP
Picked up my unit today, gets installed on Monday. I will be playing with all of this Monday night if all goes well.
Danoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:00 PM   #220
m3evolution

My Ride: M3
Where else can I get the new updated firmware? I know Jeff is only sending it out to those that bought the unit from him and I can respect that. I have contacted the vendor that I bought it from and they dont have a clue what im talking about and on top of that my Dynavin didnt come with the anti glare screen protector and a one of the button is faded or scratched right out of the box = (.

Is the firmware available on the Dynavin website or their forum?
m3evolution is offline   Reply With Quote