E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 395 votes, 4.98 average.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:46 PM   #2601
live2ride090

My Ride: 2002 M3 E46
Moving Apps to SD

Has anyone tried doing this? I was trying to free up some internal space on my Dynavin by moving installed apps to the SD card, I do this on my phone and it helps it run a little faster so I thought I would try the same on here. When I try and do this it tells me it cannot move these items and errors out. Anyone know why or have a work around for this? Please let me know, thank you.
live2ride090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:11 PM   #2602
tasi333

My Ride: 330Ci Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ride090 View Post
Has anyone tried doing this? I was trying to free up some internal space on my Dynavin by moving installed apps to the SD card, I do this on my phone and it helps it run a little faster so I thought I would try the same on here. When I try and do this it tells me it cannot move these items and errors out. Anyone know why or have a work around for this? Please let me know, thank you.
I found that applying the latest update from Dynavin's site enabled this feature, works great now.

2002 330 Cic Topaz Blue
VMR 701; Front 19x8.5et35 225/35; Rear 19x9.5et45 245/30 | Spacers: 15mm front; 12mm rear | Megan Racing Coil Overs | Short shifter | eBay Strut Bar | Angel Eyes | LED Tails | Dynavin (Droid) | Vanos | DISA

*My Car Thread (Pics & Mod details):
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=873246
tasi333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:15 PM   #2603
live2ride090

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasi333 View Post
I found that applying the latest update from Dynavin's site enabled this feature, works great now.
I didnt know there was one, sweet thank you, I will do this tonight.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:18 PM   #2604
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by anchorman123 View Post
If you stand by this product, post a video showing its start up time to get gps running. It's a simple as that. No need to talk endlessly, it just sounds like excuses.
Quote:
Members here are free to prove themselves by posting up a video from starting up of the car to start up of GPS.
Show them how long it REALLY takes to get GPS going
Quote:
And of course the vendors will try to tell you otherwise because they are selling the product.
Advertise your product right. Customers have the right to know the pros and cons.

OK, Ill play. This is in my shop, indoors, random new D99 Android unit, right out of the box.

Radio is on at 10 seconds.

Android has booted at 33 seconds.

Sat lock at 40 seconds.

Info is being downloaded from the sats at 45 seconds.

From that point start the app of your choice....

So please stop with your nonsense......

As I have said before, move your antenna, check the connection, if that doesnt work reinstall the ROM, and if that doesnt work contact your dealer for warranty, and please stop posing misleading information.

Oh yeah.....I almost forgot....

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 01-30-2012 at 05:17 PM.
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:58 PM   #2605
Darkoz

My Ride: E46 325Ci
haha anchorman123 ate the humble pie.
Now shutup and stop whinging because you haven't a clue.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:09 PM   #2606
live2ride090

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325@DynavinSolutions View Post
OK, Ill play. This is in my shop, indoors, random new D99 Android unit, right out of the box.

Sat lock at 40 seconds.

As I have said before, move your antenna and if that doesnt work contact your dealer for warranty, and please stop posing misleading information.

Haha well said Jeff! I love my Dynavin by the way, I just got Torque app working with my car, super cool!
Old 01-30-2012, 05:16 PM   #2607
anchorman123

Quote:

Sat lock at 40 seconds.

As I have said before, move your antenna and if that doesnt work contact your dealer for warranty, and please stop posing misleading information.

Your video just proved my point.
OEM Navigation load time is approximately less than 7 seconds. Dynavin takes a full minute. Do you honestly wait for your car to warm up an entire minute (if there are no gps locking issues hopefully) before you drive off?

Exactly. Dynavin takes too long to lead even when there are no GPS locking issues. When there is, this unit's GPS is pretty much useless.

End of discussion

FYI. Also consider the loading time of offline gps apps. If you must know Sygic Aura takes 26 seconds with the android scripted. Co Pilot takes 22 Seconds. Now you are going well over a minute. Try using that for your daily drives. "Sponsor"

Last edited by anchorman123; 01-30-2012 at 05:21 PM.
anchorman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:23 PM   #2608
Darkoz

Quote:
Your video just proved my point.
OEM Navigation load time is approximately less than 7 seconds.
Post a video of said less than 7 seconds and bear in mind that the OEM headunit does not have to also load up Android at startup.

Quote:
Dynavin takes a full minute......
Last time I checked 40secs was less than a minute.

Quote:
End of discussion
Smartest thing you've said so far.
I suggest you grab something a little simpler for you perhaps a battery powered transistor radio.

Seriously though, if you wanted the Dynavin primarily for navigation then the WinCE version is a smarter choice.

Last edited by Darkoz; 01-30-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Darkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:29 PM   #2609
J&T Distributing

Actually it proved exactly what I said on the last page:

Quote:
As far as time to lock goes....I haven't timed it but I would guess that android takes around 30-45 seconds to boot up....and the nav app, maybe another 10-20 seconds to load....Gps locks pretty much immediately after boot so long as the antenna gets good reception ("time update successful" will flash on the screen when it does)
so when you imply that I am lying about it I don't appreciate it:

Quote:
And of course the vendors will try to tell you otherwise because they are selling the product.
Quote:
Try using that for your daily drives. "Sponsor"
I also dont appreciate it when you buy your unit from my competitor and call me on the phone for customer service, I graciously helped you as you seemed like you were in a bind and now I get this in return.... I didnt sell you your unit, I didnt take your money, I owe you nothing, but you are now starting to bash me because I showed you that your situation is the exception....

Android is an OS, there is a boot time, apps have a load time, thats all there is to it. This is no secret and frankly I have heard almost NO complaints about this. I think that most people understand that if you want something like android in your dash there are going some compromises. If this is too much of a compromise for you then you bought the wrong unit, take it up with your dealer.

Now that you have successfully hijacked this thread, can we get back to a constructive discussion?

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 01-30-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:29 PM   #2610
BobSC

My Ride: 01 330Cic, 07 750Li
Guys,

You have tried to reason with him long enough.....and he is not listening.

Ignore him, he will go away.

2007 750Li (Sold)
2001 330Cic
2000 328i(Sold)
2004 X3
2012 X3
2012 750Li
BobSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:16 PM   #2611
Darkoz

You're right BobSC, I just can't believe the nerve of this guy who hits up Jeff for free service and advice and then still comes here to sh!t on him.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:22 AM   #2612
Tho///a5

My Ride: 2k M5
as i read his replies I was just thinking if i only had time to show how quick mine loads gps signals... glad to see jeff shut him down, but it's funny how he's so bitter about buying the wrong unit because he needs instant navigation. You don't like the load times stick to oem... oem is garbage and outdated.
Tho///a5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:43 AM   #2613
mc4ren

My Ride: E46 320D
Has anyone been able to connect with the 3G USB Modem from Dynavin?
Dynavin is not able to help, but they still claim 3G modem support (?)
mc4ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:21 PM   #2614
listermint

My Ride: E46 M3 '02
Ive found an issue with the sound. On the radio side the sound is crystal clear ive got base and its on all speakers.

However if i switch to android and play music from the android music app, ive only got sound on front 2 speakers with no base.

Anyone know if the sound output of the boards is separate or combined?

Bit lost...
listermint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:38 PM   #2615
J&T Distributing

Change the "navi sound" setting in the radio menu.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:49 PM   #2616
listermint

My Ride: E46 M3 '02
Quote:
Change the "navi sound" setting in the radio menu.
Got it! il check that out. Cheers.
listermint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:38 PM   #2617
MaximumWalrus

My Ride: E39 530i
Another Android question for you guys - how does it handle multi tasking? ie if you swap out of something like Copilot whilst driving to fire up another app, perhaps some sort of traffic app or something. Does this work well or is best to use only one app at once? I was thinking this would be a major benefit of the Android unit but if it doesnt allow hassle free swapping between apps I may be better off with a CE one.
MaximumWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:17 PM   #2618
J&T Distributing

Watch the video I posted in the original post, it's running a few different apps in that video....Google nav, music, and pandora if I recall.

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 02-03-2012 at 06:21 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:46 PM   #2619
swany001

My Ride: 330CI E46
Hi Jeff , I realise your always pretty busy but i am still having issues with my unit , I had the installers fit the correct fakra cable the other day and my steering and OBC worked for a while then stopped again ! Any clues ?
Also I have tried to upgrade the firmware a couple of times and no success .
Do you sell a SD card with the updated firmware already installed ? Incase some how i have stuffed the original one , Although i did follow the instructions.

Really comming to the end of my tether here . Thanks for any help
swany001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:34 AM   #2620
foobar_666uk

My Ride: 320D M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by jneumann View Post
Little start to the information -
How to format ANY SD card so the Android side will boot it and load the firmware off it

Must be FAT (otherwise known as FAT16), and set as active. This means no more than 4gb. (you can use larger, but you will have to reformat after to get the rest of your space back)
I used EaseUS Partition Manager to do this. It's free, and is less pissy than Window's disk management, and easier to use than DISKPART.
All you have to do is delete the partition on your SD card (helps to have a dedicated reader here, most phones probably won't work for this), create a new primary FAT(16) partition, and set it to active. Apply changes, wait for it to sync with the OS. Then just load the update files like normal.

From what I've heard, and what I have experienced over the last several hours, it is VERY hard to brick the Android side. (granted, all I've messed with is ubi.img)

Jeff just sent me the magical app that does all this, and I would recommend just doing it the way I just explained if you know anything about partitioning, or are willing to risk messing up an SD card. It is pretty hard to really mess one up though. 98% of the time you can reformat the SD card back to what it should be using a lower level partition manager like DISKPART or EaseUS. PM me if you really b0rk one, and I'll try to help.
Anyways, the reason I suggest using EaseUS is because I'm not a huge fan of using programs that I can't understand due to it all being in Chinese.

Regarding further development:
I would love to get AOSP Gingerbread working on this thing, but it may be out of my knowledge area, and given I only have time on weekends to work on this, I may never get around to it, much less release a working 2.3 ROM for the Dynavin. If anyone here knows anything about Android development and would like to help, PM me. I'll need it.
Other things I'd like to try to do is get some sort of Bluetooth adapter working so we can use Torque. This may also never happen though, since Torque is a HUGE CPU and RAM hog. My HTC Desire died a little while back, so now I have a low end Samsung Acclaim and Torque runs like sh1t on it. The Dynavin is even lower end hardware than the Acclaim, so Torque may be an impossibility for us.

Big Bold Disclaimer: If you don't easily, fully understand what I am talking about in this post, you are best off not doing or following any of it. I am not responsible for anything bad happening, such as bricked SD cards, Dynavins, things starting on fire or going bump in the night. You have been warned.
I've formatted my SD card with a Primary Fat 16 partition using EASEUS Partition Manager - but mine does not upgrade/boot?

I have tried putting the SD card in the Navi and MMC slots and rebooting - but nothing happens? Can anyone help?
foobar_666uk is offline   Reply With Quote