E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.33 average.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:01 AM   #61
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
I personally think it is their intention to let the community work on this thing....I dont have details yet.

Im trying to make some time to work on this but I have zero spare time right now, Dynavin has changed a few things since they shipped them out so Im having to load new firmware on each unit, and answering a million emails, and shipping all of these out, not to mention the rest of my business....so hang in there, ill try to get you guys more info as I can find time...
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:36 PM   #62
petrut

My Ride: bmw e46
@ all, dynavin decided to build android board 1 year ago, after i built for them the 3g patch that is now included in their firmware. They saw how limited wince is ( hardware and software ) and android was the best solution, because is open source. So it really is 1 year in hardware and software development, and is not yet finished, the costs are very high... and dynavin is not HTC
Hardware related, the board is completely designed and made by dynavin, and should have 600 mhz single core processor and 128 ram, but maybe they changed it.
The wifi solution is almost the same as in my wifi patch , they use ralink drivers, so many ralink adaptors will work, dont remember the chipset now.
3G modem will be the same as the one for wince, and no other will work unless system is hacked.
I`ll get an android version too, so then i`ll be able to see what i can do for the users
petrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:11 PM   #63
m3-4aj

My Ride: e46 M3
Send a message via AIM to m3-4aj
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrut View Post
@ all, dynavin decided to build android board 1 year ago, after i built for them the 3g patch that is now included in their firmware. They saw how limited wince is ( hardware and software ) and android was the best solution, because is open source. So it really is 1 year in hardware and software development, and is not yet finished, the costs are very high... and dynavin is not HTC
Hardware related, the board is completely designed and made by dynavin, and should have 600 mhz single core processor and 128 ram, but maybe they changed it.
The wifi solution is almost the same as in my wifi patch , they use ralink drivers, so many ralink adaptors will work, dont remember the chipset now.
3G modem will be the same as the one for wince, and no other will work unless system is hacked.
I`ll get an android version too, so then i`ll be able to see what i can do for the users
Thanks - keep us posted
m3-4aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:14 PM   #64
J&T Distributing

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrut View Post
Excellent Petrut! Glad to have you on board! Im really starting to like where this is going......
Old 04-29-2011, 03:06 PM   #65
DropTopKingM3

My Ride: All German
Hopefully there will be a non-wifi solution for the nav portion. Any advice you guys have is definitely appreciated.

^Don't say my car is topless, say the t!tties is out^
DropTopKingM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:17 PM   #66
petrut

My Ride: bmw e46
will be 3g solution
petrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:25 PM   #67
JL328i

My Ride: BSM 03 325i 5MT ZSP
holy sh1t this is awesome!!! A great way to upgrade an E46 10 years...
Old 04-29-2011, 04:42 PM   #68
J&T Distributing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropTopKingM3 View Post
Hopefully there will be a non-wifi solution for the nav portion. Any advice you guys have is definitely appreciated.
there are some offline nav apps in the android world, Im just working on trying to get them on the unit as I cant currently make the google market app work.....I havent had enough time yet to play with things though, I have applanet working, I need to try amazon and other more "legit" sources as well. Dynavin has suggested sygic but I havent managed to get it on the unit yet....
Old 04-29-2011, 04:57 PM   #69
m3evolution

My Ride: M3
You have Applanet working? So does that mean you can download any apps from there and install it in the Dynavin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325@DynavinSolutions View Post
there are some offline nav apps in the android world, Im just working on trying to get them on the unit as I cant currently make the google market app work.....I havent had enough time yet to play with things though, I have applanet working, I need to try amazon and other more "legit" sources as well. Dynavin has suggested sygic but I havent managed to get it on the unit yet....
m3evolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 05:19 PM   #70
J&T Distributing

yes Applanet works....but as I mentioned earlier not all the apps are. I tried some obvious ones like Pandora, I was able to install and run it but got an error...."could not find network".... so I think there are still some bugs to work out with directing the apps to the wifi network.

Obviously if we can get apps like Pandora and SiriusXM working this thing will really slick.....At that point I dont think I would even use the Radio side of the unit.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:30 PM   #71
m3evolution

Can you try to download and install the game Angry Birds? = ) this way we can see how good the graphics hardware is.

Quote:
yes Applanet works....but as I mentioned earlier not all the apps are. I tried some obvious ones like Pandora, I was able to install and run it but got an error...."could not find network".... so I think there are still some bugs to work out with directing the apps to the wifi network.

Obviously if we can get apps like Pandora and SiriusXM working this thing will really slick.....At that point I dont think I would even use the Radio side of the unit.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:17 PM   #72
J&T Distributing

I tried it with applanet and it downloaded but when I tried to install it just gave me the red triangle and "application not installed". I need to work on this when I have more time......im playing email tag with about a dozen of you right now and its keeping me from playing around with the unit!
Old 04-29-2011, 06:20 PM   #73
DropTopKingM3

My Ride: All German
Ahaha Jeff.. Ill tone it down :x

^Don't say my car is topless, say the t!tties is out^
DropTopKingM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:46 PM   #74
m3evolution

try to go into settings / applications / unknown sources and see if that is checked or not. That allows installation of non market applications

Quote:
I tried it with applanet and it downloaded but when I tried to install it just gave me the red triangle and "application not installed". I need to work on this when I have more time......im playing email tag with about a dozen of you right now and its keeping me from playing around with the unit!
Old 04-29-2011, 11:43 PM   #75
J&T Distributing

I dont know how many of you were around a year ago when these fancy new dynavin things showed up on the scene.....but I was involved in an early effort to skin the old platforms UI.....we failed but I learned a lot about photoshop in the process and really got to thinking about graphics and in car interfaces.....

anyway.....lightbulb went off in head and I played around with the wallpaper a bit on the dynavin......I prefer subtle but I like that you can make it look however you want, the only thing that would make it better is if I could get rid of the status bar on the top, or perhaps make it black. All in good time I suppose.

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 04-30-2011 at 12:09 AM.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:01 AM   #76
jim_0068

My Ride: Audi A3
We need to get the device rooted and possibly develop a custom rom for it THEN we can make it do whatever you (we) want.
jim_0068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 04:02 AM   #77
jim_0068

My Ride: Audi A3
Quote:
OFF TOPIC: Jim 0068.....I had an 07 Audi A3 2.0 turbo DSG Sline......absolutely fantastic car. I sold it a couple years ago though....had a baby, bought a bigger house, bigger car for the wife and baby, and the economy fell off the cliff all at the same time and I had too much money tied up in cars, thats how I ended up with an BMW E46, and how I ended up here, interesting where the forks in the road take you....
Cool, i have a '10 TDI version with the titanium sport package; handles likes its on rails and i get about 36mpg combined with majority of city driving
jim_0068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 04:51 AM   #78
N4NOOK

My Ride: 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_0068 View Post
We need to get the device rooted and possibly develop a custom rom for it THEN we can make it do whatever you (we) want.
mmm yes cyanogenmod custom tablet rom on this would be niiiice
N4NOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:41 AM   #79
Pimpwerx

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325Ci
I'm interested again now that this is Android. I've had 3 Android phones, and will probably be getting my 4th by the time these are available later this year. Rooted all of them, and I have the Cyanogen Gingerbread ROM on my Evo. Gingerbread on that would be nice. I do think 600MHz is too slow though. A 1GHz core would at least pull even with the Froyo baseline, which is the Nexus1. 600MHz is as slow as my Hero and myTouch. I'd want to be able to run Android 3+ on this down the road.

In any case, what do we have to do to get in the waiting list specifically for this Android version of the Dynavin? I want to buy one. PEACE.
Pimpwerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:46 PM   #80
J&T Distributing

Interesting note on Google Navigation. I was able to drive to work, the grocery store, etc... with the map on the screen the entire time while offline. So it definitely is caching map data when online. I also tried to find a destination but that didnt work, so I turned on my wifi hotspot on my phone, searched for my destination, google navigation calculated a route, then I turned off the wifi and google nav continued to give me nav commands and operate normally. So google putting the maps and routes in the cache is confirmed. The limits of this I dont know but im sure the info is out there as it is the same app as on android phones and tablets.