E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 363 votes, 4.98 average.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:55 PM   #1261
SPDSKTR

My Ride: E30 with an S52
So the only thing I could find about the use of the Torque app was a video of someone's Android phone and, if I read correctly, the Android side of the Dynavin unit will NOT support bluetooth... just the radio side, meaning one cannot run Torque (which would be frickin' sweet!).

Having Pandora playing music while keeping up with my car's information would be absolutely mind-blowing.
SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:47 PM   #1262
Danoff

My Ride: '04 330i ZSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3fanat1c View Post
Android, no, if your doing anything Bluetooth related n try to switch to android, once you make the switch it changes from bluetooth to the radio.
Tried it. I stand corrected. You're right.
Danoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:57 PM   #1263
mejim707

My Ride: 02 325 ci sport
Does anyone here know if the Dynavin will read the music libraries from my Droid X via USB? I would have to have to remove the mem card every time. Thanks
mejim707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:40 PM   #1264
opey

My Ride: 04 M3 coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by mejim707 View Post
Does anyone here know if the Dynavin will read the music libraries from my Droid X via USB? I would have to have to remove the mem card every time. Thanks
not sure if that would work, but if not just move the files over to the sd card in the dynavin. probably will have to get a bigger card but if u order online theyre pretty cheap

IR/IR 6 speed
opey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:45 PM   #1265
opey

My Ride: 04 M3 coupe
and i am also getting the force close on some apps, usually facebook. along with the slow music. i gotta get around to reinstalling the firmware. it sucks if we arent going to be able to install other apps without screwing everything up. i think it said i had like 85mb internal memory left though

IR/IR 6 speed
opey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:54 PM   #1266
Defuse

My Ride: 02 M3
Is the lack of bluetooth support on the Android side a hardware or software limitation? Being able to use apps like Torque would bring this unit to a level that is currently unmatched at the price level that Dynavin is at.
Defuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:29 PM   #1267
podge3

My Ride: Rover 75 CDTi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defuse View Post
Is the lack of bluetooth support on the Android side a hardware or software limitation? Being able to use apps like Torque would bring this unit to a level that is currently unmatched at the price level that Dynavin is at.
probably only a driver.

BT dongles are very cheap so hopefully the driver will be added to make this even more desirable.
podge3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:54 PM   #1268
SPDSKTR

My Ride: E30 with an S52
Quote:
Originally Posted by podge3 View Post
probably only a driver.

BT dongles are very cheap so hopefully the driver will be added to make this even more desirable.
I hope so, too!

Bimmer App made this happen. Don't be jealous.
SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:27 AM   #1269
tcfuk

My Ride: Rover 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSKTR View Post
So the only thing I could find about the use of the Torque app was a video of someone's Android phone and, if I read correctly, the Android side of the Dynavin unit will NOT support bluetooth... just the radio side, meaning one cannot run Torque (which would be frickin' sweet!).

Having Pandora playing music while keeping up with my car's information would be absolutely mind-blowing.
Use of Torque on the unit would be great you can read error faults and even clear them!!!! and having all the data from the cars ECU showing on the head unit, having Bluetooth on the Android side would also allow connection of a Bluetooth keyboard which will be great and would open a whole new world of applications available to the head unit.

I already have a Bluetooth OBD sender unit connected to the car and the Torque program running on my Android Phone and its a great program and only a couple of dollars to buy.

I don't know if the Dynavin programmer who is now on the forum, could have any input with for a driver for a Bluetooth adapter on the Android side?.

Last edited by tcfuk; 06-22-2011 at 01:47 AM.
tcfuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:37 AM   #1270
singry

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by opey View Post
and i am also getting the force close on some apps, usually facebook. along with the slow music. i gotta get around to reinstalling the firmware. it sucks if we arent going to be able to install other apps without screwing everything up. i think it said i had like 85mb internal memory left though
I now have nothing on my SDcard and yesterday google maps FORCE CLOSE again. I'm afraid to install some of my favorite apps because i get excited and then.......
Besides opey...........anyone else with this issue?
Old 06-22-2011, 08:01 AM   #1271
mc4ren

My Ride: E46 320D
singry, once I had this problem. I went to Applications under Settings, and I chose the problematic program. Then I clicke "Clear Cache" and everything was OK again.
mc4ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:32 AM   #1272
singry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc4ren View Post
singry, once I had this problem. I went to Applications under Settings, and I chose the problematic program. Then I clicke "Clear Cache" and everything was OK again.
I'm gonna try that. I refuse to think that its my SDcard that is causing this problem.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:11 PM   #1273
mejim707

My Ride: 02 325 ci sport
The droid X does have the ability to attach itself to a computer as a mass storage device. Wouldn't that mean that the Dynavin should be able to read the content? Hmm, I hope so. I have to say, the head unit comes in tomorrow but I'm worried after all the negative comments on the unit. Most of the issues will probably be resolved as firmware updates are released I hope.
mejim707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:33 PM   #1274
Danoff

My Ride: '04 330i ZSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mejim707 View Post
The droid X does have the ability to attach itself to a computer as a mass storage device. Wouldn't that mean that the Dynavin should be able to read the content? Hmm, I hope so. I have to say, the head unit comes in tomorrow but I'm worried after all the negative comments on the unit. Most of the issues will probably be resolved as firmware updates are released I hope.
Meh, don't worry too much. A lot of this stuff is pretty small. I've had some app crashes too, but usually it's when I try to fill the unit up with tons of stuff. I'm loving the unit though. You couldn't pry it away from me.

I think the biggest drawback from this unit by far is the resistive touchscreen. That took some getting used to, and I still select the wrong thing fairly often. My recommendation is to approach the unit from a minimalist point of view. Try to make it sleek and easy to use with one button push to do things - playlist shortcuts for example. Keep the number of apps to a minimum. You're not going to be sending emails by typing on the screen while at a stoplight. You'd be better off taking your phone out of your pocket.

One touch music. One touch navigation. One touch traffic.

The other day I was driving down the freeway outside of the carpool lane because the regular traffic was moving faster. I had google maps up with the traffic layer on and I saw a big red block up ahead. Jumped into the carpool lane when the opportunity presented itself and flew past a huge traffic jam. Dynavin saved me like 30 minutes. I saw someone else do the opposite (hop out of the carpool lane because regular traffic was going faster), and I watched them hug the left lane pining for the carpool lane as they came to a stop. It was another 5 miles till the next entry. Brutal.

Quote:
This is especially true for google maps.

Last edited by Danoff; 06-22-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Danoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:06 PM   #1275
singry

OK cool, will keep an eye on it. I went ahead and reinstall some of my favorite apps back on the unit.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:27 PM   #1276
rizwan1377

My Ride: 04 M56,LC 100,RX300
Send a message via AIM to rizwan1377 Send a message via MSN to rizwan1377 Send a message via Yahoo to rizwan1377
I wanted to be a part of this thread. I installed my hu yesterday and so far i am enjoying everything. had a question also: is there any way that google maps show the speed limit?
Old 06-23-2011, 01:26 AM   #1277
TXRobd

My Ride: 2002 330Ci Conv.
gentlemen, I had a lot of issues with my 2.3 rom... I did get 2.3 working but there were way to many issues with the way that dynavin was doing things... So with that said I am working on getting CyanogenMod 7 on the Dynavin, with the help of a great friend and team mate... Let me tell you all one thing and this goes as no disrespect to Dynavin. The way that are loading roms through the ubi.img is a very poor way to do it. its is completely inefficient. The way we are going to work on getting this is through a custom recovery. for you android peeps this would mean a recovery like ClockworkMod... that way we can load up roms, make changes etc... If anyone is in the San Jose area and wants to donate their unit for a week by all means, this is my team mate and a great guy... and to have him helping us is a great thing... I built out the rom but the way Cyanogen is built will be great to have on the Dynavin for they build a lot of awesome extras on their roms. Stay tuned
TXRobd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:05 AM   #1278
cash7c3

My Ride: 02 BMW M3
I don't know if this has been covered yet but for those wanting to tether an iphone 4, infrastructure mode is possible with MyWi on an iphone 4 running 4.3+ (att) or 4.2.6+ (verizon)
cash7c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:38 AM   #1279
m3fanat1c

My Ride: 2001 ///M3-2002 325i
Rob, thanks so much! Can't wait to see what you guys accomplish. I'd like to donate monetarily when the finished product is completed.

2001 E46 ///M3 MT --------- 2002 325i Sport MT
m3fanat1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:38 AM   #1280
mc4ren

My Ride: E46 320D
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRobd View Post
If anyone is in the San Jose area and wants to donate their unit for a week by all means, this is my team mate and a great guy... and to have him helping us is a great thing... I built out the rom but the way Cyanogen is built will be great to have on the Dynavin for they build a lot of awesome extras on their roms. Stay tuned
Unfortunately I live in the Basque Country (between Spain and France) and it's too far from you. Otherise I would lend it.
Also, could you take a look at the 3G modem side? I think I've tried every possible thing (3 modems, 3 SIMs, infinite APN settings...). I'm paying a data plan only for the Dynavin and it's frustrating.

Thanks Rob

PS: I can't donate the unit, but I would donate some bucks
mc4ren is offline   Reply With Quote