E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 337 votes, 4.98 average.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:16 PM   #121
crai6m4ck

My Ride: 2002 E46 M3 Vert
Do you know of any other suppliers that may carry the Android V5. I am looking to purchase one ASAP.

Also, do you know if there has been any talk of a capacitive screen in the future?
crai6m4ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:29 PM   #122
Darkoz

My Ride: E46 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by crai6m4ck View Post
Do you know of any other suppliers that may carry the Android V5. I am looking to purchase one ASAP........
Since Jeff who started this thread is a Dynavin supplier, it's probably not appropriate to be asking this here, search the other forum sponsors.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:25 AM   #123
Comanche5

My Ride: BMW 330ci ZHP
Geez... some people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crai6m4ck View Post
Do you know of any other suppliers that may carry the Android V5. I am looking to purchase one ASAP.

Also, do you know if there has been any talk of a capacitive screen in the future?
Comanche5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:23 AM   #124
TheKingSim0n

My Ride: BMW 325i
Send a message via AIM to TheKingSim0n
Try asking Jeff when he will be getting his next shipment in via PM, He has been an amazing assist to all of us here and he truly helps every single person out of sheer kindness so if he has it in stock then get it from him (http://jandtdistributing.com/dynavin...ries/dvn-e462/). Otherwise you can get it from another great sponsor that are also very good with customer support, Umnitza (http://www.umnitza.com). Audio & Eletronics > Audio > 98 - 04 3 Series Navigation Unit (DYNAVIN).
TheKingSim0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:37 AM   #125
jneumann

My Ride: 323i, 530i, Z4 3.0i
Send a message via AIM to jneumann
Just got mine from UPS.
http://tapatalk.com/mu/a6b540fa-2c5f-e73f.jpg

Edit - anyone know how to make Bimmer App not post huge images?

Sent from my HTC Desire CDMA using Bimmer App

Dynavin Android | Laser Interceptor | GRE PSR-800 | STi-R+ | M3 seats | 50W 4300K FX-R Retrofit | Solid black interior | Mtech II front bumper | Koni FSDs
Member, Three Pedal Mafia | Long informative article on oil | BITOG German Castrol FAQ

Last edited by jneumann; 05-04-2011 at 08:15 AM.
jneumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:27 AM   #126
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
Ill be sending you guys a firmware update later today....just got it and need to test it first but it should fix some of the errors i mentioned earlier in this thread.

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:14 PM   #127
jneumann

Ok, initial opinions -

Wifi doesn't like to work. Will not connect to my campus' network, only connected to my phone and home network after turning it off/on and unplugging/replugging the adapter multiple times.

Screen - It's resistive, not capacitive. We've gone over this already though.

Screen - If this is really a 800x480 screen, why is it such low res compared to my phone's screen, which is the same? At the same zoom level in google maps, I can see more roads with my phone.

Screen - on dark grey screens, there are lines that move across the screen diagonally. Very noticeable on the weather screen. Appears to go away after awhile, then come back moving the other direction, etc...

Memory - Can't run traffic overlays on maps and do something else at the same time or it will claim low memory and kill traffic. Would it really have been so hard to give it 256-512mb ram?

No USB interface? I guess I am nitpicking here, but it would be nice if the front usb port would be for Android

Bluetooth - No bluetooth on the Android side. Really? Coming from the land of $2 usb bluetooth adapters?

No hardware buttons for android side.

Can't add Google account ("Can't get a reliable connection to server...etc") - Might have gone over this already - I plan to dig through the last 7 pages again.

I'm sure I will find more things as I play with it more.
Hopefully they will fix it all before releasing the final unit, then allow us to upgrade the android board.

Edit - time fixed the Google Account. I will try reconnecting to my campus' wifi after class.

Edit2 - Market is *very* restricted. Can't find most apps. Like Pandora.

Dynavin Android | Laser Interceptor | GRE PSR-800 | STi-R+ | M3 seats | 50W 4300K FX-R Retrofit | Solid black interior | Mtech II front bumper | Koni FSDs
Member, Three Pedal Mafia | Long informative article on oil | BITOG German Castrol FAQ

Last edited by jneumann; 05-04-2011 at 12:25 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:00 PM   #128
uncompiled

My Ride: G37xS & 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jneumann View Post
Screen - If this is really a 800x480 screen, why is it such low res compared to my phone's screen, which is the same? At the same zoom level in google maps, I can see more roads with my phone.[/B]
Mobile devices have two aspects to screen resolution, the viewport size and the scaling factor. It's possible that the scaling factor on the Dynavin is higher than that of your phone. The scaling factor is used for multi-touch devices when you pinch/zoom on your phone. The resolution on the device stays the same, but when you pinch/zoom, the windowing system rescales the window to look bigger within the viewport.

Note that the pinch/zoom I'm talking about is not the same as the zoom level in google maps... that's an app function so that google maps knows what type of map tiles to download and how to scale it within the app.

If I had access to an Android unit, I could probably modify the Android code to enable multi-touch too. I'm not sure if Dynavin would want to release their code as open source, but if they did, I'd pick one up in a heartbeat.
uncompiled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:42 PM   #129
J&T Distributing

Quote:
Ok, initial opinions -

Wifi doesn't like to work. Will not connect to my campus' network, only connected to my phone and home network after turning it off/on and unplugging/replugging the adapter multiple times.
I had a lot of connectivity problems at first but I found that it connects fairly reliably and quickly if the wireless hotspot is enabled before you turn the unit on, If I try to enable the hotspot once the unit is on I sometimes have to toggle the wifi (I got a widget to do this easily). A couple of times I couldnt get it to connect, i just turned the unit off and back on and it connected fine. Typical of wifi the connection time seems to vary but I find that if I dont get impatient and just wait it more often than not will just connect on its own.

Quote:
Screen - It's resistive, not capacitive. We've gone over this already though.

Screen - If this is really a 800x480 screen, why is it such low res compared to my phone's screen, which is the same? At the same zoom level in google maps, I can see more roads with my phone.
I use the backs side of my fingernail instead of my fingertip on the screen when swiping and its 100 times better. As far as the resolution goes.....im not sure what you are talking about but different device...different settings? Did you do this while driving....im not sure how your phone is but on the dynavin google nav the zoom is dynamic and will change with your speed.

Quote:
Screen - on dark grey screens, there are lines that move across the screen diagonally. Very noticeable on the weather screen. Appears to go away after awhile, then come back moving the other direction, etc...
If your contrast or brightness are cranked up you might get some video interferance from all the electrical in the car, I think the optimal settings for day (on the dynavins screen, press the volume knob to access these) are Brightness=25, contrast=35, and turn the contrast down at night to whatever is comfortable. Turn the brightness on the android menu all the way up.

Quote:
Memory - Can't run traffic overlays on maps and do something else at the same time or it will claim low memory and kill traffic. Would it really have been so hard to give it 256-512mb ram?
This is news to me, havent had any memory problems but I suppose it might vary by how much data its trying to cache....

Quote:
No USB interface? I guess I am nitpicking here, but it would be nice if the front usb port would be for Android
The front usb is for the radio interface. the android board is connected to the SD card slot

Quote:
No hardware buttons for android side.
All of the hardware buttons are for the "Radio side." Same as the windows based units. Android control is all on screen (except for volume, that control is system wide)

Quote:
Can't add Google account ("Can't get a reliable connection to server...etc") - Might have gone over this already - I plan to dig through the last 7 pages again.
Time settings related, ill send something to you later today about this

Quote:
Edit2 - Market is *very* restricted. Can't find most apps. Like Pandora.
That is part of what I was talking about earlier in the thread. I found a lot of stuff on applanet (like pandora) that doesnt show up on the market.

I should point out that although this thread is all about android it is important that we remember that this is a car stereo.....it is not a tablet, it is not a phone. While having the functionality of android is great I think we have to keep in mind that we will certainly run into harware limitations because of the nature of the device. Dynavins number one priority has to be to make a functional car stereo, and THEN get as much functionality out of the android part as they can without compromising the stereo part. Keep in mind that while you guys are all early adopters and are primarily interested in the android stuff this device will ultimately be sold to a bunch of people who will just listen to the radio with it and occasionally use the nav, so it needs to be usable by those people as well.

For us early adopters the challenge will be to see how much we can squeeze out of the android part of the unit, in the same way that has been done with the windows hardware that preceded it.

As of now Im running, google navigation, pandora, email, and androids basic media player on my home screen and im pretty happy with that. Im not trying to run a zillion apps....I have a phone for that. Im trying to run the apps that make sense in a car, lets figure out what those are and make it happen.

PS: I talked to dynavin last night and they are interested in the apps we want to run so that they can try to make sure they work well on the unit...

I mentioned Pandora (already works) and SiriusXM (doesnt work) as important apps for car stereo use..... And of course an offline navigation program. Seeing how dynaivn already has an existing relationship with Sygic....Sygic Aura would be the obvious choice.

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 05-04-2011 at 02:05 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:56 PM   #130
TrickTizzle

My Ride: 325i
Send a message via AIM to TrickTizzle
As far as speed goes of the Android system, you can fix that by loading a custom ROM into the system.

Does warranty get voided if we root the system or load a custom ROM?

Can't wait for mine!
TrickTizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:00 PM   #131
J&T Distributing

I should take a moment to also point out that EVERYONE NEEDS TO READ THE FAQ. Im starting to see a lot of the same old questions crop up and I am literally getting dozens of emails a day about stuff that is posted right here: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=803437 None of that stuff in the FAQ is android but most of it still applies.

Not to sound like Darkoz ....but if you are going to buy a dynavin, you MUST do your reading first.

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 05-04-2011 at 02:27 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:32 PM   #132
jneumann

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickTizzle View Post
As far as speed goes of the Android system, you can fix that by loading a custom ROM into the system.

Does warranty get voided if we root the system or load a custom ROM?

Can't wait for mine!
We can't load a custom rom on, since we don't have root on these devices. Additionally, it's kinda hard to recover from a bad flash when there are no hardware buttons on the Android side to get into the bootloader or a custom recovery.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:49 PM   #133
petrut

My Ride: bmw e46
don`t play with the system if you don`t know what you are doing. Is really easy to break compared to wince boards. You`ll need to open the unit, take the board out, solder a lot of wires to be able to recover the system.
petrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 03:06 PM   #134
jneumann

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrut View Post
don`t play with the system if you don`t know what you are doing. Is really easy to break compared to wince boards. You`ll need to open the unit, take the board out, solder a lot of wires to be able to recover the system.
Exactly.

Anyways, more specs -

System storage - Total: 226mb, Free 109mb (was around 130mb when I got it)
Memory - 245mb (256mb)
Processor - ARMv7 rev3 (v7l) 500MHz
SD card - 2gb

Storage and Memory are not too bad, processor could be better, but seems to work fine.

Jeff - let Dynavin know there are a lot of Bluetooth OBDII readers out there along with a lot of Android apps for reading real time engine stats. It would be awesome if they could add support for a USB bluetooth adapter or something so we can use those apps!

Old 05-04-2011, 03:22 PM   #135
petrut

My Ride: bmw e46
You don't have final hardware then, final hardware is arm8 processor, 600 mhz
petrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 03:29 PM   #136
mtromszc

My Ride: NY
Jeff,
I think it makes sense to add apps like Waze and Trapster to the list. Those are strictly car related...
Michael
mtromszc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 03:31 PM   #137
Gam3R

My Ride: 2005 M3
Quote:
Jeff - let Dynavin know there are a lot of Bluetooth OBDII readers out there along with a lot of Android apps for reading real time engine stats. It would be awesome if they could add support for a USB bluetooth adapter or something so we can use those apps!
Now you're talking... Can you imagine running your real-time stats on a Dynavin while driving. I imagine that is something that we will have to pioneer ourselves for a while.
Gam3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 03:33 PM   #138
J&T Distributing

petrut, thats what they told me too when I asked but I wonder if they had a few different boards?

Quote:

Dynavin asked me a couple months ago if I thought something like that would be wanted so maybe they are up to something.....ill pass the word on though.

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 05-04-2011 at 03:36 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:58 PM   #139
jneumann

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325@DynavinSolutions View Post
Dynavin asked me a couple months ago if I thought something like that would be wanted so maybe they are up to something.....ill pass the word on though.

Excellent! See if they can provide an option to scale back the UI too, its huge right now.

Oh, and for the Google Maps resolution thing, I was using the zoom in/out buttons, not two finger zoom on my phone. On both devices, I zoomed in to the point where there were the same items on both screens, so for example, the same cities were in the corners of both screens, so the screens would show the same things. Only difference was the Dynavin showed less detail at the same zoom level.

Last edited by jneumann; 05-04-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:04 PM   #140
J&T Distributing

Quote:
Excellent! See if they can provide an option to scale back the UI too, its huge right now.

Oh, and for the Google Maps resolution thing, I was using the zoom in/out buttons, not two finger zoom on my phone. On both devices, I zoomed in to the point where there were the same items on both screens, so for example, the same cities were in the corners of both screens, so the screens would show the same things. Only difference was the Dynavin showed less detail at the same zoom level.
by UI do you mean the icons, menus, fonts, etc?

By the way.....if you bought a unit from me, check your email. There is a firmware update waiting there for you. Fixes a time/date bug that was causing many of the issues I mentioned earlier in the thread. If you didnt buy one from me contact your dealer for help.

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 05-04-2011 at 04:21 PM.