E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 388 votes, 4.98 average.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:39 PM   #1641
live2ride090

My Ride: 2002 M3 E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325@DynavinSolutions View Post
interesting.....if you go back and look I suspected that it might have to do with certain programs auto updating.....
Right. So I reloaded the software today, installed my apps from the app installer and everything works fine again. I saw 3 programs that auto update when I did this. YouTube, Gmail, and Google Maps. Just thought I would let everyone know that these 3 auto update.
live2ride090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:48 PM   #1642
Danoff

My Ride: '04 330i ZSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danoff View Post
Did a re-up on the firmware on Friday (it would be nice if the factory reset option within android worked). Saturday Launcher pro crashed, and now I have force closes throughout. I'm going to try no-apps and see how long that works. I'll be using only what comes with the unit - music, navigation, maps, etc. I'll let you know when it starts crashing.
This was July 3rd. I have been using the unit for 23 days no with no force close issues (using android for all music and tethering google maps with traffic nearly twice per day). This weekend I plan to install launcher pro to see what happens with one extra app installed. That will put me at almost exactly 4 weeks free of FC errors.

I have encountered two errors in that time though. One was a bad cache in google maps. Clearing the cache fixed it - this happens in my phone about once every 2-3 months. The other error was an "internal memory low" error when I had google maps running (with music playing in the background). Google maps was showing traffic data and all local businesses that had my search string in the name. Traffic was disabled as a result of the low memory error. I was able to restore traffic by clearing the google maps search.

Last edited by Danoff; 07-26-2011 at 03:52 PM.
Danoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:16 PM   #1643
nut

My Ride: 04 LSB M3 SMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danoff View Post
Yea, definitely. You want an aftermarket head unit that does climate control, turns off DSC, tells you tire pressure, and gives you engine temperature readouts?

I think you should be amazed at the fact that our E46s have access to a head unit that does most of what the Saab unit does. Saab claims to be futuristic and cutting-edge. Meanwhile I have the best parts of that stuff in my 7 year old car. Pretty sweet.
Sorry if I confused you but I meant the entertainment part only(no climate control ,DSC nor sport mode). OBD apps like Torque in the andriod market are good enough for me.

The thing is, IMO, UI in dynavin looks so old. In terms with the UI design, it could be much better. In addition, I assume android can handle ipod control, navigation and bluetooth. This is why I'm expecting the next version of dynavin (if available for our old e46s).

And yes, I'm very happy with my current business HU -)

•Koni Yellow + Eibach
•VMR VB3 19" + Ventus V12 EVO K110
•Brembo GT 355mm 6pods + 345mm 4pods
•Headlamp retrofit: S2k projector + 85122cm + eas AE
•Avin Avant 2 + BU cam, Alpine PDX F4 + RS audio BASE, JL 600/1v3 + 10W7
•SCSL dual CF trunk
•E90 key retrofit w/ greater remote distance! + Start Engine button mod
•Auto-fold side mirror retrofit

Last edited by nut; 07-26-2011 at 04:18 PM.
nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:20 PM   #1644
nut

My Ride: 04 LSB M3 SMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by PheonixE46 View Post
Our units are almost there in being able to provide that information, we just need a way of communicating with the car. I bielive that a bluetooth adapter driver will be constructed at some point, and open up many doors.
Exactly

•Koni Yellow + Eibach
•VMR VB3 19" + Ventus V12 EVO K110
•Brembo GT 355mm 6pods + 345mm 4pods
•Headlamp retrofit: S2k projector + 85122cm + eas AE
•Avin Avant 2 + BU cam, Alpine PDX F4 + RS audio BASE, JL 600/1v3 + 10W7
•SCSL dual CF trunk
•E90 key retrofit w/ greater remote distance! + Start Engine button mod
•Auto-fold side mirror retrofit

nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:44 PM   #1645
Danoff

My Ride: '04 330i ZSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nut View Post
The thing is, IMO, UI in dynavin looks so old. In terms with the UI design, it could be much better.
The android UI is customizable. If you're talking about the rest of the UI, I don't know why you'd see it.
Danoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:16 PM   #1646
singry

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325i
Force close is back

Ok.... So I had a force close issue today. Had nothing installed for about a month. Last week I installed a few apps....pandora, paypal and chase. After leaving the bank today I start the car and BAM!!!!! .....pandora popped up with the force close error, I wasn't even trying to use the app, as a matter of fact I didn't use it at all. I use chase and paypal like 3 times, and that was just to play with it a little. So then I started playing with places, youtube, maps and iGO. iGo is saying "please insert your SD card containing iGO content files".... Don't know what that is about because I never remove the card to begin with.

Now navigation, maps, and places is force closing. YouTube still works, paypal still works, chase still works.

I am so praying someone can come up with something that resolve all these issues.... And I do
know someone here is working on it. I pray it happen very soon.

So I uninstall iGo and then re installed it, did the same thing with google maps. Atleast I didn't have to do a factory reset .....at least not yet. Let's see.

I'm really trying to keep it together, what's the point in complaining anymore.....

Last edited by singry; 07-26-2011 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Update
singry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:53 PM   #1647
Darkoz

My Ride: E46 325Ci
Dynavin working beautifully here after a year of use
No hardware issues
No nav issues
No radio issues
No music playback issues
No movie playback issues
No ipod issues (could have something to do with the fact that I never use ipod crap)

Last edited by Darkoz; 07-26-2011 at 11:04 PM.
Darkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:21 PM   #1648
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
Singry.... Pandora (along with the preloaded apps) is one of the main suspects so it isn't a surprise. I've got pandora installed in my car and my test unit as well and it's been a month with no issues so we havent been able to narrow anything down.....the problem is that the issue is so random and so infrequent that it has thus far been impossible to troubleshoot.

Edit: upon reviewing you post I don't think you really had the "force close issue" as it didn't screw up your other apps, pandora just crashed when android booted up. Your igo issue could be any number of things and it's not a "legit" app to begin with. If just reinstalling the app fixes the problem it's just a bad app, not a system wide problem.

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 07-26-2011 at 11:26 PM.
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:24 PM   #1649
opey

My Ride: 04 M3 coupe
Quote:
Singry.... Pandora (along with the preloaded apps) is one of the main suspects so it isn't a surprise. I've got pandora installed in my car and my test unit as well and it's been a month with no issues so we havent been able to narrow anything down.....the problem is that the issue is so random and so infrequent that it has thus far been impossible to troubleshoot.
hey any idea if Rob is working on getting root access? there are power control apps that would let us shut the unit down correctly but they all need root

IR/IR 6 speed
opey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:27 PM   #1650
J&T Distributing

I don't know the details of what is being worked on.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:41 AM   #1651
singry

Quote:

Edit: upon reviewing you post I don't think you really had the "force close issue" as it didn't screw up your other apps, pandora just crashed when android booted up. Your igo issue could be any number of things and it's not a "legit" app to begin with. If just reinstalling the app fixes the problem it's just a bad app, not a system wide problem.

I re-installed these apps and they seem to be working fine exept for one thing. When the unit start up I get a quick second of a force close.... But then it starts up fine. This has been talked about here before as well... Don't know what that is about either. I just went ahead and did the reset. All these apps are on my iPhone, so I'm gonna just use them from there... As for my dynavin, NO MORE APPS until something new comes out as far as OS.

Well....at least no pandora.....

Last edited by singry; 07-27-2011 at 12:45 AM.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:42 AM   #1652
singry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoz View Post
Dynavin working beautifully here after a year of use
No hardware issues
No nav issues
No radio issues
No music playback issues
No movie playback issues
No ipod issues (could have something to do with the fact that I never use ipod crap)
Good for you. I'm sure all of us here who are having These issues are very happy for you.

Last edited by singry; 07-27-2011 at 12:45 AM.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:36 AM   #1653
Darkoz

My Ride: E46 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by singry View Post
Good for you. I'm sure all of us here who are having These issues are very happy for you.
Why thankyou for your acknowledgement, thought it'd be a refreshing change from all the other posts
Old 07-27-2011, 04:54 AM   #1654
podge3

My Ride: Rover 75 CDTi
Quote:
Singry.... Pandora (along with the preloaded apps) is one of the main suspects so it isn't a surprise.
I never had Pandora installed and I got the force close problem.

If it isn't one of the preloaded apps, then my money is on the launcher I was using at the time (VTL). Since I re-installed the firmware, the only extra apps I installed are sat nav apps and I have had no problems.

Is there any chance that the boot up procedure is being affected by the car starting? Once the ignition is turned on then the boot procedure starts. With the next turn of the key to start the car, the battery voltage would drop substantially.
podge3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:54 AM   #1655
live2ride090

My Ride: 2002 M3 E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by singry View Post
Ok.... So I had a force close issue today. Had nothing installed for about a month. Last week I installed a few apps....pandora, paypal and chase. After leaving the bank today I start the car and BAM!!!!! .....pandora popped up with the force close error, I wasn't even trying to use the app, as a matter of fact I didn't use it at all. I use chase and paypal like 3 times, and that was just to play with it a little. So then I started playing with places, youtube, maps and iGO. iGo is saying "please insert your SD card containing iGO content files".... Don't know what that is about because I never remove the card to begin with.

Now navigation, maps, and places is force closing. YouTube still works, paypal still works, chase still works.

I am so praying someone can come up with something that resolve all these issues.... And I do
know someone here is working on it. I pray it happen very soon.

So I uninstall iGo and then re installed it, did the same thing with google maps. Atleast I didn't have to do a factory reset .....at least not yet. Let's see.

I'm really trying to keep it together, what's the point in complaining anymore.....
I noticed that the new update for Pandora has issues on my phone and in the car could be a coincidence but worth a shot. If you do decide to install the firmware again try not updating the Pandora update, I havent and mine works fine. Just something you can try if you want. Good luck.
live2ride090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:38 PM   #1656
umesh_navani

My Ride: BMW 325i
Hi Guys: I have been following this thread for the past few days (since I am waiting for Dynavin Android ) and realize that force close has been an undetectable and a pretty serious issue. I have not gone back to read all the posts, but was wondering if anyone has tried any logging applications. (maybe this http://code.google.com/p/android-log-collector/)

Collect the logs and have an Android developer on the forum go through them or just post the logs on various Android forums, I am certain that people would be willing to give some suggestions.

Quote:

umesh_navani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:47 PM   #1657
CrisB02

My Ride: 330I
Send a message via AIM to CrisB02
Are you guys planning on making a unit with a bigger screen and no cd/dvd drive?
Old 07-27-2011, 04:06 PM   #1658
J&T Distributing

the screen is 7" which is about as big as in dash screens get...... so no, there are no plans that I am aware of.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:34 PM   #1659
bemami

My Ride: 2006 Alpine M3vert
Can someone give me the step by step directions, or point me in the direction, for wiping the unit and starting over. I just got the forceclose error and it's pretty bad. It dominates the screen.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:50 PM   #1660
J&T Distributing

go to my website, go to the FAQ page and scroll ALL the way to the bottom, its the last entry under Android Setup.