E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 349 votes, 4.98 average.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:38 PM   #1801
dayusmc

My Ride: 01 325ci & 06 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325@DynavinSolutions View Post
yes, the winCE unit is more appropriate for what you are trying to do with it. We dont use the LOCs ("filters") anymore. You will have no problem finding a new home for your android unit....I guarantee that.
If anyone want the Android Dynavin, and Jeff is out of them. Contact me! If you buy a new WinCE unit from Jeff, I will trade you mine for it. Mine looks brand new But I want the newest WinCE model.
dayusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:39 PM   #1802
dayusmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippinBimmer View Post
I have a WinCE v4 unit. I will add some $$ on myside for it.
I want the v5
Old 08-22-2011, 02:05 PM   #1803
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
take it to the classifieds or PMs guys.....

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:06 PM   #1804
dayusmc

Quote:
take it to the classifieds or PMs guys.....
Not sure what you mean PM guys...
Old 08-22-2011, 02:08 PM   #1805
J&T Distributing

I mean you (one of the guys) need to use the PM (private message) function on this site or the classifieds or you risk getting yourself banned.

Just trying to keep you out of trouble.

Old 08-22-2011, 02:10 PM   #1806
fixjets

My Ride: 02 325Ci, 08 650i
I want to throw this in the mix. As some know, I have been dealing with the FC issue myself. I reloaded it 3 times last month. I tried a few things on the last one that seems to be working so far.

1. After I reloaded the system and 2 programs (IGO and GPS Test), I ensured the "auto update" for every installed app were turned off in the Market.
2. I opened the Accounts and sync settings and turned everything off. This included Background data, Auto-sync and any accounts under "Manage accounts".
3. I turned the Wi Fi off all together so it would not even search for service anywhere.
4. Under Location and security settings, I turned off the "Use wireless network" but left Use GPS satellites on.
So as it sits right now, the system is functioning. It gets the time update from the GPS side no problem. The IGO system is working just fine, and I always get a satellite fix.

So basically I am using it like the Win version, but do not have any of the fun online Android toys. No big deal because it is doing what I want it to. I do believe Dynavin is working this issue because this is the future. They more than likely are having their share of problems with this technology, but hopefully they will get it correct. That said, I do hope they get it correct for our systems instead of just upgrading the Android hardware in the system and supporting that.

So with this, I will say we should have known what we got into. I was getting frustrated too, but am more patient since my system is indeed working. Jeff is doing what he can, and others are too, so give it a little time. Use the system like the Win system (offline) and it should be sorted out in the future.
fixjets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:14 PM   #1807
dayusmc

Quote:
I mean you (one of the guys) need to use the PM (private message) function on this site or the classifieds or you risk getting yourself banned.

Just trying to keep you out of trouble.
I just posted it under the classified section. Thanks!!
Old 08-22-2011, 02:19 PM   #1808
dayusmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixjets View Post
I want to throw this in the mix. As some know, I have been dealing with the FC issue myself. I reloaded it 3 times last month. I tried a few things on the last one that seems to be working so far.

1. After I reloaded the system and 2 programs (IGO and GPS Test), I ensured the "auto update" for every installed app were turned off in the Market.
2. I opened the Accounts and sync settings and turned everything off. This included Background data, Auto-sync and any accounts under "Manage accounts".
3. I turned the Wi Fi off all together so it would not even search for service anywhere.
4. Under Location and security settings, I turned off the "Use wireless network" but left Use GPS satellites on.
So as it sits right now, the system is functioning. It gets the time update from the GPS side no problem. The IGO system is working just fine, and I always get a satellite fix.

So basically I am using it like the Win version, but do not have any of the fun online Android toys. No big deal because it is doing what I want it to. I do believe Dynavin is working this issue because this is the future. They more than likely are having their share of problems with this technology, but hopefully they will get it correct. That said, I do hope they get it correct for our systems instead of just upgrading the Android hardware in the system and supporting that.

So with this, I will say we should have known what we got into. I was getting frustrated too, but am more patient since my system is indeed working. Jeff is doing what he can, and others are too, so give it a little time. Use the system like the Win system (offline) and it should be sorted out in the future.
I am going to try this tomorrow!! i would like to get this working for my wife so she can use it until I get the WinCE unit.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:51 PM   #1809
petrut

My Ride: bmw e46
@all, soon i`ll start working on android side of dynavin too. So many stuff to do!
I`m still busy with iphone app coding now but in 2-3 weeks i`ll finish it and i`ll dedicate my free time to android!
By the way, v5 units with wince 6 are amazing, wince 6 is very very stable, fast, works perfect with wifi and 3g!
petrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:14 AM   #1810
dayusmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixjets View Post

I tried this and it worked! My guess is that it the FC are coming from the something trying to communicate with the market or sync with something. So this just might be the ticket. I am still going to swap my unit out with a WinCE one, I like the fact that you press the Navi button it goes right into the nav app!1
Old 08-24-2011, 03:20 AM   #1811
mc4ren

My Ride: E46 320D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayusmc View Post
I tried this and it worked! My guess is that it the FC are coming from the something trying to communicate with the market or sync with something. So this just might be the ticket. I am still going to swap my unit out with a WinCE one, I like the fact that you press the Navi button it goes right into the nav app!1
This only shows that the Android version losts all Android's power if you want it to work reliably. What is Dynavin planning? I feel that we've been left aside by them. And with Tom out of the boat, it couldn't be worse.
mc4ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:04 AM   #1812
Danoff

My Ride: '04 330i ZSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayusmc View Post
I'm really not sure how you're better off with WinCE if this works (which I suspect it does work). Media in android is significantly better, and everything else is at least equivalent.
Danoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:42 AM   #1813
J&T Distributing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc4ren View Post
This only shows that the Android version losts all Android's power if you want it to work reliably. What is Dynavin planning? I feel that we've been left aside by them. And with Tom out of the boat, it couldn't be worse.
If you havent already, post the circumstances of your force close here: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...hlight=dynavin

As I have said before, dynavin has not been able to replicate the FC but they have different market access and different apps than we do so we need to provide them with info about the circumstances under which the FC occurs. Not to mention trying to troubleshoot a problem that may take MONTHS to happen is next to impossible. I have spoken to them multiple times about this and they would be happy to eliminate the FC but understandably they cant fix a problem unless we can tell them what it is!

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 08-24-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:16 PM   #1814
ChiTownTrav

My Ride: 2004 325CI
Send a message via AIM to ChiTownTrav Send a message via Yahoo to ChiTownTrav
It seems like there is some mixed emotions over window vs. Android.
I'm trying to deciding which one to get.

Thoughts?
ChiTownTrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:22 PM   #1815
Danoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrav View Post
It seems like there is some mixed emotions over window vs. Android.
I'm trying to deciding which one to get.

Thoughts?
Honestly I don't see how you're worse off with the android model - even if you only install an offline nav app (may be unnecessary soon as google maps is moving toward caching) and never connect to the internet to avoid FC issues.

Personally I'd rather rely on my phone for the offline nav app and use internet on the android unit. Again, if you do that you're better off than WinCE because you have realtime traffic information and can search maps for locations and get driving directions immediately. Again, this is assuming you never install any apps in an attempt to avoid FC issues.

Both of those assume that the FC issues never get fixed - which they might at some point.

The only argument I see for WinCE is if you don't want to spend any time making it work. I might be tempted to do WinCE if this were my wife's car.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:33 PM   #1816
ChiTownTrav

My Ride: 2004 325CI
Send a message via AIM to ChiTownTrav Send a message via Yahoo to ChiTownTrav
I use my iPhone for Nav.
I would like to get use out of the 3G for things like pandora, sirius online(so I can ditch the Sirius unit), stuff like that.
I would probably never use the wifi assuming there is a carrier in the US I can hook the 3G up with(I have not looked into this).
From my understanding you can use the GPS tho for the android unit since it can come with a SD loaded with the correct maps.
Am I wrong?
ChiTownTrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:55 PM   #1817
J&T Distributing

Yep Trav, you are wrong, the sd cards with maps that you see on our site are for WinCE units. For android its an app that you have to download (any number of ways, and yes, to the SD card).

Danoff, while I agree with you in concept that the android units match and exceed the windows units in all areas of functionality, the android units also are also just over the heads of a lot of people. Thats not an insult, its reality, peoples comfort with technology spans a VERY large range. I regularly hear "whats tethering?", wifi?", or "what do you mean by app?". The android units would be nothing but frustration to someone who asks those questions but a windows unit would probably work great for them.

I know some of you guys are changing your setup as a work around to try to avoid any FC problems, I personally just put the firmware and my app apks on an SD card that I leave in the center console of my car. Its easy enough to restore the OS so I figure Im just going to use it and install whatever I want, and if eventually things crash and burn, ill just pop in the SD card and 10 minutes later ill be back in business. Not ideal I know, but for now it works.

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 08-24-2011 at 04:21 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:06 PM   #1818
Mattbuyshouses

My Ride: 2004 330i

Frustrated!

I've tried searching through the 90+ pages for the exact answer, but for the life of me I can't figure this out.

I know, this sounds petty, and I apologize - but I'm trying to get the clock to STAY on the correct time. Talk about annoying!

I've tried every simple (and not so simple) setting and cannot get the time to stay put.

Could someone who has successfully gotten the time correct (*and stay!) please enlighten me? I have a clock widget on the homepage that is NEVER correct. Each time the car starts the clock changes and I have to reset it again. Regardless of having automatic time on/off and even if I set it to a different time zone. Do I just change it to China time and manually set the clock and turn off automatic time sync?

Matt

Mattbuyshouses
Mattbuyshouses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:26 PM   #1819
Danoff

I believe there is no solution for this. The machine updates time based on GPS every time you turn it on. I'd love for it to somehow read the internal car clock, but that doesn't seem to be possible.

You might try finding an app that does an internet-based time update on boot. If you find one let me know.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:24 PM   #1820
Mattbuyshouses

My Ride: 2004 330i
Any way (besides unplugging the GPS antenna) of turning off time updates from the GPS side?

Mattbuyshouses
Mattbuyshouses is offline   Reply With Quote