E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 332 votes, 4.98 average.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:38 PM   #1821
Danoff

My Ride: '04 330i ZSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattbuyshouses View Post
Any way (besides unplugging the GPS antenna) of turning off time updates from the GPS side?
I don't think that would do it. The unit forgets the time every time you turn off the car. The GPS antenna is the only reason it eventually gets it right.
Danoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:50 PM   #1822
Mattbuyshouses

My Ride: 2004 330i
If that's the case, then I'm missing the point. If the automatic time adjustment is turned off, why would the unit look for a new time? And, why would it forget the time? There must be an internal battery because without it, tons of other settings would get lost, wouldn't they? Unless these settings, like the last song playing on USB, (I know that's not the android side). Not all of this is written to temporary files, I'm sure. Hrm... definitely some food for thought.

Thanks for helping me think about this Danoff.

Mattbuyshouses
Mattbuyshouses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:11 PM   #1823
fixjets

My Ride: 02 325Ci, 08 650i
Matt, some writing does indeed happen prior to a unit shutdown. Android was designed for cell phones that have a constant connection. Whenever the phone is turned on, it gets the updated time from the network. From what I am seeing, when I turn the nav (android) side on, the time/date is off, but after a few seconds, I get a message saying "Time update sucessful". According to Jeff, this comes from the GPS satallites. To be honest, Whenever I go to the nav side, I turn on IGO and all seems fine. Thinking about it, I never turned the nav side on and just let it sit to see if the time update happens without running the GPS app. Will check that. EDIT: even without the GPS apps running, the unit will update the time based on the GPS.
I will say that the time will show accurate (local) on my IGO, but with my GPS Test app, the clock is 4 hours fast. It actually is Zulu time, a standard world time used in aviation and the military. Satallites also use Zulu time. This time is actually 4 hours ahead of Eastern Standard. I have the GPS Test app set for the proper time zone, but for some reason it still shows Zulu. Maybe IGO writes the proper time zone to the SD card where the GPS Test does not, and just uses the satallite (Zulu) time. Just some food for thought.

Last edited by fixjets; 08-26-2011 at 11:13 AM.
fixjets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:00 PM   #1824
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
fixjets is closest to correct. When you turn on android it goes looking for time data, internet time data is disabled in the ROM (because its in a car, not a phone) so regardless of the settings it wont update that way. Instead dynavin has set it up to pull the time data off the GPS sats because those are always available. When it finds this data it says so on the screen, It IS "Zulu" time. So for the time data to be correct you just need to tell the dynavin what time zone you are in, this gets tricky with daylight savings time so you may have to go one hour one way or the other depending on what time of year it is. To do this in the android settings though you have to first turn OFF automatic settings so the options are not greyed out, then set your time zone, then turn automatic time back ON. Then turn the unit off and next time you turn it on give it a few minutes and see what time it comes up with. Remember that if it cant see the sats it cant set the time so if you are in a garage or something it may not set the time until you get outside.
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:57 AM   #1825
Danoff

My Ride: '04 330i ZSP
I still think that a utility (app) that automatically adjusts the time based on some sort of internet lookup would help get the time corrected much faster. GPS takes longer when the initial conditions for the search are wrong - and the time that the unit comes up with is very wrong.
Danoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:06 AM   #1826
J&T Distributing

??? I'm don't think I'm following..... It updates the time within a few seconds so long as it can see the sky. If it were Internet based you would have to be connected to get the time... Did I miss your point?
Old 08-25-2011, 06:08 AM   #1827
ChiTownTrav

My Ride: 2004 325CI
Send a message via AIM to ChiTownTrav Send a message via Yahoo to ChiTownTrav
Has anyone gotten the 3G to work off the 3G modem that comes in the android unit in the US? Which carrier did you use?
ChiTownTrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:18 AM   #1828
ChiTownTrav

If anyone is looking for a Android Dynavin unit I would suggest sending me a PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:33 AM   #1829
J&T Distributing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrav View Post
Has anyone gotten the 3G to work off the 3G modem that comes in the android unit in the US? Which carrier did you use?
The dynavin comes with a wifi antenna, not a modem.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:47 AM   #1830
ChiTownTrav

Then why is there info about 3G online? Does that mean it's capable of 3G if I get a 3G USB here?
Old 08-25-2011, 08:57 AM   #1831
J&T Distributing

They offer an optional 3G modem but carrier compatibility seems to be hit and miss. I don't mess with them as there are too many variables (and that means headaches to me). Wifi works good and is included.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:40 AM   #1832
MGSteve

My Ride: MG ZT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325@DynavinSolutions View Post
They offer an optional 3G modem but carrier compatibility seems to be hit and miss. I don't mess with them as there are too many variables (and that means headaches to me). Wifi works good and is included.
Many phones allow you to setup WiFi hotspots anyway, so the moment the car is turned on it could connect to the phone's hotspot and connect to the Internet.

GPS time info though is very, very accurate. if the time is out when its set via GPS, then something else is wrong somewhere, such as timezone info.
MGSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:08 AM   #1833
ChiTownTrav

So the app has to be downloaded but does it have some sort of gps device to work with the unit or does it have to have a internet connection in order to work?
Old 08-26-2011, 01:03 AM   #1834
JerzyBoy973

My Ride: 01 330ci
do you have to be online to use nav on this unit?
Old 08-26-2011, 02:54 AM   #1835
gumanov

My Ride: 2001 325Ci 5-speed
Anyone know where I can get an android e46 dynavin? A google search shows most sellers are out of stock..
gumanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:06 AM   #1836
gomarota

My Ride: 320 td compact M
I want to know too, im looking for e46 dinavyn, thanks
gomarota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:39 AM   #1837
turbo_f22_pilot

My Ride: 2 pedals - 2 paddles
^ ^ ^ ^Look a couple of posts above yours ^ ^ ^ ^

All of your questions will be answered.

And personally, if I was buying a brand new unit, I'd go with Jeff. Best product support out of all of the vendors of the Dynavin units.

Joy is future proof
Get your "M" on . . .
Reading is FundaM3ntal

CAR:
2003 TIAG Coupe / Blk Interior / SMG / HK Premium
MODS:
EU-CSL Coded / Macht Schnell intake / OEM CSL Wheels / OEM CSL Diffuser / Dinan Exhaust
Full LED Conversion / HID fog / Aurora AE / RE RTAB FCAB

BMWCCA NCC

Last edited by turbo_f22_pilot; 08-26-2011 at 04:41 AM.
turbo_f22_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:47 AM   #1838
Darkoz

My Ride: E46 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumanov View Post
Anyone know where I can get an android e46 dynavin? A google search shows most sellers are out of stock..
Old 08-26-2011, 11:06 AM   #1839
fixjets

I have another titbit of info for our Dynavins I thought woulld be good to share.
I had a new key made for my car today. I took it to the dealer so they could hook it up to their machine so I can activate some features (auto door lock, express windows, etc.) and it turns out the computer woulld not allow them to do any changes with the Dynavin installed. I took it out and put the Business CD unit back in so they coulld make the changes. Not a big deal since I can swap it out in minutes. It appears that the factory radio is part of the onboard computer system, and it affects all of this, including coding for the factory anti theft system. So if the coding is done, the Dynavin can be reinstalled and all will be good. So when you take your factory radio out, hang onto it in case you need to have this service done.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:09 AM   #1840
fixjets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzyBoy973 View Post
do you have to be online to use nav on this unit?
Not if you use an offline app like IGO or Navigon, found in an earlier post. If you want to use Google Nav, then yes you do need to be online, but Google is coming out with an offline system that will download maps to your SD card to be used offline. I would believe these map files would be pretty big though with all the details they have.